PDA

View Full Version : Idiotic "anti-vaxxers"

jimnyc
04-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Just how stupid is this? Yeah, they supposedly have good intentions in mind.

I read a link to a Facebook comment, from an anti-vaxxer - and it was a woman asking all of her friends, stating that her kid never had the vaccinations, and what to folks recommend now to help protect her child from the measles going around. WTF? :laugh: :rolleyes:

The risks that they are taking on these children, and the rest of their families & anyone else in the vicinity. Just plain 'ol stupid.

---

Anti-vaxxer parents hold ‘measles parties’ to give their kids the deadly virus so they become immune and don’t need MMR jab

City health officials blasted the parties in Brooklyn, New York

ANTI-VAXXER parents are hosting "measles parties" so their kids can contract the deadly virus instead of getting the jab, it has been reported.

City health officials blasted parents after they were found encouraging their un-vaccinated kids to get the virus from each other in Brooklyn, New York.

The movement against the MMR vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps and rubella, is largely thought to stem from the work of Andrew Wakefield.

The now discredited UK doctor penned a damning research paper claiming a link between the MMR vaccine, autism and bowel disease.

The study was retracted in 2010 but the paper has had a lasting influence with the "anti-vaxxer" movement particularly taking off in America.

And the movement has sparked concern amid the current measles outbreak in New York – the largest the city has seen since 1991.

It is believed misguided parents are hosting "measles parties", encouraging their young, un-vaccinated children to spread measles with the idea that once a child has contracted it, they will be immune.

The "parties" are similar to "pox-parties" where kids were encouraged to contract chickenpox from each other.

Rest - https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8831200/anti-vaxxer-parents-measles-parties-vaccine/

Why ‘Measles Parties’ Are A Bad Idea For Parents

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Health officials made a specific point to condemn the resurgence of “measles parties,” get-togethers where parents gather unvaccinated children with kids already suffering with measles in order to intentionally infect the group at a young age.

The practice has its own faulty logic based on how humans fight off the disease. Once people have become infected by measles, their bodies build up their immune systems to prevent new inflections. They are immune for the rest of their lives.

“As a parent, I have no doubt that each and every parent is making decisions based out of what they believe is best for their children,” said Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services Dr. Herminia Palacio. “But as a doctor, a public health practitioner, and a mom, I must warn you that exposing your unvaccinated child to measles is very dangerous, and it could even be deadly.”

That’s the point of vaccines – safe ways of making people immune to infections with limited side effects. But “measles parties” carry a number of serious drawbacks.

“I know that parents may be afraid of getting their child vaccinated, but as a pediatrician, I know that getting vaccinated is far safer than getting measles,” said NYC Department of Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot. “The vaccine has been proven safe and effective in preventing the spread of measles for decades and we have evidence.”

So why are “measles parties” a bad idea?

“Because vaccines have been so effective at preventing previously widespread diseases, we tend to forget that measles and other childhood diseases can be very serious,” said CBS2’s Dr. Max Gomez. “Why would you purposely expose your child to measles, causing them to feel awful, run a high fever (which can lead to seizures), risk expensive hospitalization and other potentially serious complications when a simple vaccine can prevent all that?”

“Plus, there’s the chance that an infected person could transmit measles to an immuno-compromised person (cancer, HIV, other chronic diseases) who could get very sick and even die,” he said. “That’s not being a responsible member of the community.”

Rest - https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/04/09/why-measles-parties-are-a-bad-idea-for-parents/

Gunny
04-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Stupidity at its finest. I know a lot of people that wish they had measles vaccinations when I was a kid and have the scars on their faces to prove it. We practically had to tie my youngest daughter's hands because she got them when she was 3.

Here's a "idiot" sea story. Bonehead Sgt refuses to take anthrax vaccinations. Each time he refuses, he goes to NJP and loses a stripe. When he makes it back down to E-3, he caves and gets the shot. "I got a family to think about" :rolleyes:. Idiot. I'd have been thinking of MY family at E-5.

"Well, who knows what they're putting in those shots?".

Right. Remember every time you line up between 2 Corpsmen and get shot in each arm with about 3-4 shots at once? Wonder what they put in that and you took them :rolleyes:

The kicker? The CO said don't get them. You're STILL going ashore with the rest of us only as a Private :laugh:

CSM
04-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Stupidity at its finest. I know a lot of people that wish they had measles vaccinations when I was a kid and have the scars on their faces to prove it. We practically had to tie my youngest daughter's hands because she got them when she was 3.

Here's a "idiot" sea story. Bonehead Sgt refuses to take anthrax vaccinations. Each time he refuses, he goes to NJP and loses a stripe. When he makes it back down to E-3, he caves and gets the shot. "I got a family to think about" :rolleyes:. Idiot. I'd have been thinking of MY family at E-5.

Right. Remember every time you line up between 2 Corpsmen and get shot in each arm with about 3-4 shots at once? Wonder what they put in that and you took them :rolleyes:

The kicker? The CO said don't get them. You're STILL going ashore with the rest of us only as a Private :laugh:

It's all good until they get the Black Plague....

Gunny
04-11-2019, 09:33 AM
It's all good until they get the Black Plague....Hey, I got that shot too :laugh:

More than once. Typhoid was the one that just kicked the crap out of me. Looked like a dead roach on the sofa for the weekend (nice they timed it for a Friday, huh?)

CSM
04-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Hey, I got that shot too :laugh:

More than once. Typhoid was the one that just kicked the crap out of me. Looked like a dead roach on the sofa for the weekend (nice they timed it for a Friday, huh?)

Had my fair share of shots... and I bet you have too. Some of the countries we got deployed to were not fit for human habitation without them.

STTAB
04-11-2019, 09:45 AM

I remember those guns that give you 3 or 4 shots at once well. "Don't move" no shit, painful as hell but glad I got all the vaccines I got over the years.

This is one area where I absolutely agree with keeping your religion out of my government. I don't give a flying fuck if your religion says no vaccines or not, if you want to put your child in public school keep your religion at home.