PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh - the IRS just called me

jimnyc
04-26-2019, 10:50 AM
They called my house main number, which is weird as it's there for emergency only and we never give it to anyone. Strike #1

It was solely a recording - from the IRS? Strike #2

The guy in the message stated no name, but just said that a lawsuit has been filed against me, and it's now known that I received their call, and to immediately call them back at 918-203-4984

OR

if I didn't an arrest warrant was going to be immediately issued for me. Strike #3 I'm not that gullible. They would not call, they would send a certified letter. If they called, I'm sure they would only speak to person they have info on. No way the IRS leaves a message like that. And an arrest warrant, and to make such a threat via recording? Yeah right.

So I waited 10 minutes and then called from Google Voice so they wouldn't know it was me calling. An INDIAN guy answered with his obvious accent, with "You have reached the IRS department, how may I help you" - and I instantly asked "May I have your name please: - and he replied with this is the IRS crap--- I told him VERY politely as if I was falling for it "Oh, I heard you sir, I just want to write as we go along for my records, so can I please have your name?" CLICK and he hung up the phone.

So I then called from my son's account - and it states "The number you have dialed is not in service" or some BS like that. How I got him the first time is odd, but now I called twice and get that error. Obviously these idiots are spoofing numbers somehow.

Elessar
04-26-2019, 11:13 AM
Quite clearly a SCAM.

IRS does not make calls like that unless you have previously arranged a call-back.
Nor do they send E-mails. I have seen a few of those SCAMs where the sending address
does not end in .gov

More often than not the scam e-mails end in gmail or yahoo.com

Here is where the cal area was traced to:

https://www.area-codes.com/exchange/exchange.asp?npa=203&nxx=918

jimnyc
04-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Quite clearly a SCAM.

IRS does not make calls like that unless you have previously arranged a call-back.
Nor do they send E-mails. I have seen a few of those SCAMs where the sending address
does not end in .gov

More often than not the scam e-mails end in gmail or yahoo.com

Here is where the cal area was traced to:

https://www.area-codes.com/exchange/exchange.asp?npa=203&nxx=918

Another funny one that MANY fall for. For example - I received like 7 emails so far over the past 2 weeks from "Apple" telling me that my ID has been compromised and blah blah blah and to CLICK HERE to fix it - apple.com/fixaddress/crap/978269.htm (www.scammer.com)

Well, it sure all looks legit, but instead of clicking on it, I always hover my mouse over the link first to see where it ACTUALLY goes.

Looks like what I just made a link to is apple.com site and whatever else - but hover your mouse over it when I post this and you'll see what it is they do...

Mostly I delete, sometimes I open my VPN program and click and then fill it out with insulting information to mess with them. :)

Gunny
04-26-2019, 12:51 PM
They called my house main number, which is weird as it's there for emergency only and we never give it to anyone. Strike #1

It was solely a recording - from the IRS? Strike #2

The guy in the message stated no name, but just said that a lawsuit has been filed against me, and it's now known that I received their call, and to immediately call them back at 918-203-4984

OR

if I didn't an arrest warrant was going to be immediately issued for me. Strike #3 I'm not that gullible. They would not call, they would send a certified letter. If they called, I'm sure they would only speak to person they have info on. No way the IRS leaves a message like that. And an arrest warrant, and to make such a threat via recording? Yeah right.

So I waited 10 minutes and then called from Google Voice so they wouldn't know it was me calling. An INDIAN guy answered with his obvious accent, with "You have reached the IRS department, how may I help you" - and I instantly asked "May I have your name please: - and he replied with this is the IRS crap--- I told him VERY politely as if I was falling for it "Oh, I heard you sir, I just want to write as we go along for my records, so can I please have your name?" CLICK and he hung up the phone.

So I then called from my son's account - and it states "The number you have dialed is not in service" or some BS like that. How I got him the first time is odd, but now I called twice and get that error. Obviously these idiots are spoofing numbers somehow.I see you figured it out but the IRS is not going to call you. Are you kidding? You're a mere mortal and they are much to busy stealing everyone's money to be making calls.

You'll get a certified letter, as you guessed.

icansayit
04-26-2019, 03:10 PM
YouMail, a third-party robocall blocking software company, estimates that more than 47.8 billion robocalls were made in 2018, a 57% increase over the previous year.Feb 15, 2019

SassyLady
04-30-2019, 05:39 PM
Wait until you get a robocall from your own phone #.

Totally had me confused ... recognized number but no name ID showed. Answered and it was recording in an Asian language. Weird.