PDA

View Full Version : Virtue Signaling

Abbey Marie
05-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Latest around here: Folks put a bunch of shiny blue and silver spinning things on their front lawn, with a sign about stopping child abuse. Yeah, that’ll do it.

:rolleyes:

STTAB
05-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Latest around here: Folks put a bunch of shiny blue and silver spinning things on their front lawn, with a sign about stopping child abuse. Yeah, that’ll do it.

I've had yellow ribbons tied around two trees in my front yard since Sept 12, 2001.

I'm okay with these sorts of displays or whatever, what gets me is people who try to browbeat others into supporting THEIR causes with such displays. Gee Karen maybe I don't want to repost your "share this post condemning child abuse or you're going to hell " meme. That doesn't mean I'm pro child abuse.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-01-2019, 10:51 AM

While they herald, celebrate, promote, praise, enjoy and buy rap music and its degenerative lyrics that promote a breakdown of society our culture
and common decency/Christian based morality. And go along with the dem party and its utter stupidity, lack of morality and agenda to take our culture down to the lowest common denominator!
Yeah, that’ll do it.- :rolleyes:-Tyr

Abbey Marie
05-01-2019, 01:36 PM
I've had yellow ribbons tied around two trees in my front yard since Sept 12, 2001.

I'm okay with these sorts of displays or whatever, what gets me is people who try to browbeat others into supporting THEIR causes with such displays. Gee Karen maybe I don't want to repost your "share this post condemning child abuse or you're going to hell " meme. That doesn't mean I'm pro child abuse.

I think there is a little bit of a difference between showing support for those who lay their life on the line, and virtue signaling. I see it as more like displaying our flag, which we do. One is about others, the other is showing the neighbors you care about a current topic. Maybe it’s just me.

Another one I see around here is a yard sign that says “Hate has no home here”. Uggh. It makes me want to put up a “Hate lives here” sign, lol.

icansayit
05-01-2019, 07:43 PM
https://www.federalflags.com/resize/Shared/images/Product/American-Flag-Outdoor-Polyester-2-ply-Heavy-Duty/Polyester-American-flag-closeup-angle.jpg?bw=500&bh=500

The flag, and pole has been stolen twice. But we keep replacing it, and our Anti-Trump neighbors across the street...have never had one. Now I know why.

STTAB
05-02-2019, 10:00 AM
I think there is a little bit of a difference between showing support for those who lay their life on the line, and virtue signaling. I see it as more like displaying our flag, which we do. One is about others, the other is showing the neighbors you care about a current topic. Maybe it’s just me.

Another one I see around here is a yard sign that says “Hate has no home here”. Uggh. It makes me want to put up a “Hate lives here” sign, lol.

LOL Now Abbey that seems more like something I would do .

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-03-2019, 09:33 AM
If one is American , lives it, breathes it , and honors it, there is no need to put any sign in ones yard-- ok to do so but no need.
Certainly not if one has spent a lifetime of standing up for it and never backing down from anybody while doing so..
That defiance is being a true American in my humble opinion, and trust me on this - it comes at a very high cost...... .-Tyr

Drummond
05-03-2019, 10:07 AM

These things worry me ... maybe more than they should, but still ...

It all comes across to me as a 'bend to my point of view' exercise, as if the act of advertising any cause or issue must have the effect of browbeating people into a spirit of acquiescence.

If people believe that tactic carries with it a justification for the cause, JUST because of the tactic itself, it says something unsavoury about the psychology of those doing it.

[What's next ? ISIS flags springing up, and Jihads appearing In A Neighbourhood Near You .. ?]

STTAB
05-03-2019, 10:17 AM

It all comes across to me as a 'bend to my point of view' exercise, as if the act of advertising any cause or issue must have the effect of browbeating people into a spirit of acquiescence.

If people believe that tactic carries with it a justification for the cause, JUST because of the tactic itself, it says something unsavoury about the psychology of those doing it.

[What's next ? ISIS flags springing up, and Jihads appearing In A Neighbourhood Near You .. ?]

That's exactly the philosophy groups like ANTIFA use when they label people as NAZIS. I mean who wouldn't agree that it's okay to punch a NAZI? Well everyone says "yeah okay if you hit a NAZI they deserve it" once ANTIFA has people convinced of that, then they simply start labeling everyone they disagree with as a NAZI to justify their attacks.

Elessar
05-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Everyone one has a right to express a cause or or opinion. That does not mean I need to agree.
Also, I do not pay attention to signs posted on lawns or carried in a protest. Those people are fools.

That bottom LINE does disturb me, however, because it is known they are not at all peaceful or
willing to accept opposite views - at all.

STTAB
05-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Everyone one has a right to express a cause or or opinion. That does not mean I need to agree.
Also, I do not pay attention to signs posted on lawns or carried in a protest. Those people are fools.

That bottom LINE does disturb me, however, because it is known they are not at all peaceful or
willing to accept opposite views - at all.

I am 100% for individual rights, BUT all rights can and should be infringed on when they present a danger to the community at large, or the greater good as we've been talking about in another thread lately.

ISIS, the KKK, ANTIFA, these are all groups that exist to cause hatred and violence and there is no place for them even in a society that loves freedom like ours.

Ultimate freedom is borne out of safety, if you're not safe, you're not free, and groups like the ones I listed above absolutely are detrimental to our safety and thus our freedom.