PDA

View Full Version : Social Media Is Cracking Down on Anti-Vaxxers

jimnyc
05-11-2019, 10:54 AM
I made a separate thread for this as the other I believe reached a different plateau. This article is about NY, and social media banning some things against the anti-vaxxer community.

For starters - that community is trying to disseminate to the crowds that vaccines were bad and kill people. Has it happened before? Sure, of course. But not nearly even remotely close to the amount of lives saved and protected.

But, now banning hashtags? I don't know. I believe those sending this out, and those hearing/believing it should also be educated on EVERYTHING and let them make their own decisions. I don't think anyone should be being told outright that this is about what they amount to, that vaccines kill and that's that. They don't want others to read the entire truths and studies, because of their own agendas. Just like I said no one should be taking the word of the government alone, or if they too made a stance that there are zero chances of symptoms in return. Almost all reputable places will document the full truth and possibilities of reactions to the vaccines. That, along with of course a long history to show what they have helped with, and what actual people were harmed over that time.

---

Social Media Is Cracking Down on Anti-Vaxxers

As the public health risk from those who eschew science and believe celebrities regarding the "risk" of vaccinations increases, more and more people are looking for ways to deal with outbreaks and combat misinformation.

Recently, I wrote a post that only semi-jokingly suggested quarantining the anti-vaxxers in modern-day leper colonies.

As I noted in that post, we have already exceeded our worst annual outbreak numbers since measles was declared to have been eradicated, and we did that in just the first third of this year.

The problem isn't getting any better. New York has been facing a measles crisis that many have tried to say was limited to the Orthodox Jewish community, a notion that The New York Times recently reported isn't accurate:

As the measles outbreak deepens in New York City, health authorities have been focusing on schools affiliated with ultra-Orthodox Judaism, because those are the only city schools within which measles transmission has occurred so far. But immunization data, reported annually by every school to the state, suggests that reluctance to vaccinate in New York is much more widespread.

Now, a couple of social media platforms are taking a brief break from going full-Soviet on Republicans and conservatives to address the anti-vaxxer problem.

Facebook announced in March that it would begin red-flagging anti-vaccination ads.

On Friday, Facebook subsidiary Instagram got in on the crackdown:

https://i.imgur.com/WdLe1kK.png

More from The Hill:

Instagram this week blocked the hashtag #VaccinesKill amid its crackdown on vaccine-related misinformation, and it says it is looking into other hashtags typically used to promote false information about vaccines.

The Facebook-owned social media network had previously declined to block the #VaccinesKill hashtag, a popular gathering place for anti-vaccine activists on Instagram, arguing that the phrase "vaccines kill" did not count as medical misinformation. An Instagram spokesperson in an email to The Hill last month claimed there have been rare instances in which vaccine side effects have caused death.

But under pressure this week following a CNN Business report on the medical misinformation amplified under #VaccinesKill, Instagram blocked the hashtag and said it is expanding its crackdown on medical misinformation to include hashtags that are often used to promote debunked anti-vaccine sentiments.

Rest - https://pjmedia.com/trending/social-media-is-cracking-down-on-anti-vaxxers/

jimnyc
05-11-2019, 10:57 AM
And please, I made this one separate so that the article here can be discussed, which the subject is the social media banning things against anti-vaxxers... whether this is appropriate or not, and if such banning in itself is taking away rights. I side with education before the banning. That's just one knucklehead's opinion from NY. :)