PDA

View Full Version : More Liberal Lunacy

red states rule
02-02-2007, 08:18 AM
This should do wonders for the economy of Washington state

With more power, can state Dems pass family-leave bill this time?
By Ralph Thomas

Seattle Times Olympia bureau

OLYMPIA — Democratic lawmakers are taking another crack at passing one of the nation's most generous paid-family-leave benefits.

Legislation introduced Wednesday would give Washington employees up to five weeks of paid family medical leave each year. Workers could use it for personal sick leave, to bond with a newborn or adopted child, or to care for an ailing relative or domestic partner.

To cover the new benefit, which initially would be capped at $250 per week, the bill would require a payroll tax of 2 cents an hour per employee — about $40 a year for a full-time employee.

The legislation — House Bill 1658 — is nearly identical to a proposal that Democrats tried unsuccessfully to pass two years ago.

Democrats have since expanded their majorities in Olympia. And the bill is a top priority for some of their closest allies, including labor unions, human-services advocates and women's groups.

"I think it has a much better chance this year," said Rep. Mary Lou Dickerson, D-Seattle, the bill's prime sponsor.

But Democratic leaders in the House and Senate have not indicated whether the legislation will be a high priority. They say they are more focused on other health-care issues, such as expanding state insurance coverage for children.

While three Republicans have signed on as co-sponsors to Dickerson's bill, other GOP lawmakers and business leaders say the legislation is not needed.

"The small-business community is already stepping up to the plate to provide for their employees," including leave arrangements when necessary, said Carolyn Logue, state director for the National Federation of Independent Business.

It's true that many businesses already provide paid medical leave, said Marilyn Watkins, policy director for the Seattle-based Economic Opportunity Institute, a labor-backed think tank.

But she said some small businesses don't offer any leave, let alone paid leave. Workers in those situations are too often forced to choose between losing their job and staying home to care for a newborn or an ill parent, she said.

In 2005, about 71 percent of Washington businesses offered paid vacation leave to full-time employees and 44 percent offered paid sick leave, according to the state Employment Security Department.

Under existing federal law, businesses with 50 or more employees are required to give workers up to 12 weeks of medical leave a year for themselves or to take care of family members. But the law does not require paid leave.

A few states provide disability pay that includes women who take time off to care for a newborn, but California is the only state with a broader paid-family-leave program.

Approved in 2004, the California law allows employees to take up to six weeks of paid leave, which this year is capped at $882 per week. The vast majority of claims so far have been by new mothers.

Several other states are looking at adding paid-family-leave programs.

"This issue is gaining momentum and women across the political spectrum are saying this is important," said Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner of Kirkland, director of MomsRising.org, a new national women's advocacy group.

Under Dickerson's bill, which would apply to all employers, the paid leave would be covered through a state-run insurance program, similar to unemployment insurance. All employers would be required to collect the 2-cent-per-hour tax, but businesses could deduct all or a portion of the tax from employee paychecks.

The program would initially cost more than $70 million per year, according to the most recent state projections.

Critics argue that once the program is in place, the cost would grow steadily — due to inflation and political pressures to increase the benefit — and add to Washington's reputation as an expensive place to do business.

Rep. Cary Condotta said it should be each employee's responsibility to set aside enough money to be able to take time off from work.

"This wouldn't be an issue if people were saving what people in most industrialized countries do," said Condotta, R-East Wenatchee.

Instead of passing what he calls a "socialized savings account," Condotta said, the Legislature should work with businesses to come up with personal savings incentives.

But Dickerson and others said it's unrealistic to expect most low-income workers to save enough to be able to take much time off work.

"We are talking about people who often have to work two jobs just to make ends meet," she said.

Ralph Thomas: 360-943-9882 or rthomas@seattletimes.com

red states rule
02-02-2007, 08:27 AM
The liberal view of this insanity from Wshington state

Working Americans Deserve a Living Family Leave Pay
The Washington State Legislature is on the verge of passing a generous new law that will require all employers to give their workers five weeks of paid family sick leave. The payments will initially be capped at $250 a week and funded with a 2 cent per hour increase in payroll taxes - or less than the cost of a cup of coffee, the time-honored method by which the legislature determines the justification for new taxes as well and the worthlessness of tax cuts. As the company morale officer at Seattle Hemp Products, I decided to give my coworkers the wonderful news at the daily staff meeting this morning.

“THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!” Andy from Accounting growled as he furiously pounded his fist on the table. “How do they expect us to survive on 250 measly bucks a week? It’s an INSULT! I have a RIGHT to a Living Wage, and dammit I deserve a Living Sick Pay, too!”

“Calm down,” I assured him. “I think they just put that in there to discourage people from taking a whole month off all at once.”

“Right on,” said Tom in Shipping. “I just got a Playstation 3, so I’ll be taking three day weekends for the next six months.”

I shook my head. “Unfortunately, it says that you have to use the time for personal sick leave, to bond with a newborn or adopted child, or care for a sick relative or domestic life partner.”

Edward in Human Resources raised his hand, cutting off Tom’s phony coughing fit.

“Can I take some time off to care for Harvey, my invisible rabbit?”

“Have you had sex with him?” I asked.

“Nope, it’s strictly platonic.”

“Then no, the plan wouldn’t cover it.”

Ed slumped in his chair.

“However,” I added. “That week you spent drilling holes into your skull to release the evil spirits would now be considered personal medical leave and covered under the law.

"Frank, do you have a question?”

“Yeah,” Frank in Shipping answered. “I make an effort to stay healthy and never get sick, so I probably won’t use all my sick days. Can I sell some of them to Tommy Tuberculosis over here?”

“Sorry, no," I told him. "They had to cut both that and the provision for company-paid labia piercing in order to get the Repugs on board.”

"THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!" Andy roared, angrier than before. "I have a right to a Living Sick Pay, and dammit I have a right to get my labia pierced free of charge, too!"

"Andy, please..."

"IT'S IN THE CONSTITUTION, LARRY!"

"If I can't sell my sick days," Frank interrupted, "then do I at least get a refund check for the $1250?”

I stared at him in wild-eyed disbelief. “Let me get this straight…you want the government to take the money that would be used to help poor Edward care for his sick bunny rabbit and pay you for actually working five straight weeks?”

“You selfish bastard!” Edward cried. "Have you no compassion?"

"Sure," Frank replied. "But I'd rather have a high definition TV for the Super Bowl."

"I knew it!" I screeched. "He's a con! GET HIM!"

Frank ran but didn't get far before he was tackled and bludgeoned violently with a wide assortment of ceramic bongs. He suffered two broken ribs, a fractured clavicle, and will lose between three and four weeks of work - without pay.

One more working man falls beneath the bloody wheels of Capitalism
http://blamebush.typepad.com/