PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Vaxxers Spreading Measles in Portland Should Be Arrested

jimnyc
05-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Now this is another angle altogether.

Imagine going to a professional basketball/soccer/football game, or another major indoor event.. in this case with 19,393 in attendance. All normal and a night of fun, for yourself and perhaps your family, and maybe even children. Then maybe a few days to a week go by - and you get an official letter from the place you attended. That's weird, right? You open it to find out that you have been exposed to measles or another highly contagious infection or disease, and that you should get checked out.

I haven't had all my coffee yet, or they don't make clear if the original person that attended had known they had measles or not. And if they did in fact know - then I would have no issue with charges against them

How many times have we read stories about scumbag guys who have aids, who purposely go around having sex to infect other people? The severity may be different, but the same nonetheless. You cannot take a risk with your own life or that of your children, and then purposely attend such an event knowingly.

---

The Anti-Vaxxers Spreading Measles in Portland Should Be Arrested

Fans who attended the January 11 Trail Blazers game against the Hornets at Portland’s Moda Center have been told they have been exposed to measles in the wake of a local outbreak. The outbreak is connected to a strong regional anti-vaccination community centered in the nearby Vancouver, Washington, area and has sickened 23 individuals including 15 kids. And the irresponsible behavior of the parents refusing to vaccinate has not only jeopardized their own children but a full 19,393 people in attendance at an NBA game. It isn’t clear what the consequences will be for them. But it should be. There are strong legal precedents for fining, quarantining, or prosecuting individuals who knowingly spread infectious diseases. It’s time to use those precedents to hold anti-vaxxers accountable for their decisions.

It should be noted that, at least in Portland, anyone exposing the public to measles could be quarantined under Oregon Control of Disease statutes that specifically state: “No person shall willfully cause the spread of any communicable disease within this state.” And to further point out that law enforcement can be used to enforce quarantines. In California and eight other states, there are laws that allow the criminal prosecution and fining of individuals who endanger the public with the spread of infectious diseases, even if they are doing so by proxy. In Europe and Australia, where vaccination refusal has reached alarming levels, parents who do not vaccinate their children can be subject to fines from $600 in Italy to as much as $3,000 in Germany.

Legal ramifications are becoming a norm. And that’s as it should be.

These measures may sound extreme. They are. So is the public health risk. In fact, the World Health Organization recently placed vaccination refusal as one of the top health crises menacing the globe. So it would make sense to start holding anti-vaxxers accountable for the risk they pose, not just to their own communities, but to the public at large.

The fact that measles infection is spreading in the Northwestern U.S. is especially egregious given how infectious that disease is and how effective the vaccine is. At some point, the issue of personal liberty butts up against issues of public safety and child endangerment.

It should be noted that the precedents for prosecuting individuals passing on infectious diseases do not originate from the noblest intentions. In fact, they are couched in a history of homophobia. Many the disease-related statutes currently on the books in 26 American states are related to HIV infection specifically. The best of these focus on punishing individuals who knowingly and intentionally pass HIV to innocent and unaware sexual partners. The worst of them criminalize homosexual acts because they are related to the transmission of HIV.

That said, while ethically dubious, HIV laws offer a path forward in pushing back on those individuals who refuse to vaccinate children for personal reasons. The fact is that an unvaccinated child could become infected with the measles virus and not present symptoms for up to eight days. During that time they are a vector, sharing the measles virus wherever they go.

It’s one thing to be wary of prosecuting someone who engaged in sexual intercourse with a willing and trusting sexual partner aware of the risks of unprotected sex. But that wariness should disappear when the victim is a random air traveler or a Damian Lillard fan. Those individuals are living their lives and have been placed in jeopardy by the willfully selfish and ignorant actions of an irresponsible parent.

Holding these parents accountable is critical. More education is not going to do the trick. It has been well established that anti-vaxxers often become more hardline in their views the more science they are exposed to. However, if you jeopardize a person’s financial security or freedom they may become a bit more motivated to question their ludicrous convictions.

The point is not that we should make vaccines mandatory, but that we should make the consequences for refusing to vaccinate kids and then putting other people at risk onerous. That’s not a semantic difference. Anti-vaxxers have railed against government interference in family decision-making. Fine. Let them win that battle. But you can’t have your disease and share it — or at least you shouldn’t be able to do so without winding up in court.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/anti-vaxxers-spreading-measles-portland-201507190.html

Drummond
05-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Now this is another angle altogether.

Imagine going to a professional basketball/soccer/football game, or another major indoor event.. in this case with 19,393 in attendance. All normal and a night of fun, for yourself and perhaps your family, and maybe even children. Then maybe a few days to a week go by - and you get an official letter from the place you attended. That's weird, right? You open it to find out that you have been exposed to measles or another highly contagious infection or disease, and that you should get checked out.

I haven't had all my coffee yet, or they don't make clear if the original person that attended had known they had measles or not. And if they did in fact know - then I would have no issue with charges against them

How many times have we read stories about scumbag guys who have aids, who purposely go around having sex to infect other people? The severity may be different, but the same nonetheless. You cannot take a risk with your own life or that of your children, and then purposely attend such an event knowingly.

---

The Anti-Vaxxers Spreading Measles in Portland Should Be Arrested

Fans who attended the January 11 Trail Blazers game against the Hornets at Portland’s Moda Center have been told they have been exposed to measles in the wake of a local outbreak. The outbreak is connected to a strong regional anti-vaccination community centered in the nearby Vancouver, Washington, area and has sickened 23 individuals including 15 kids. And the irresponsible behavior of the parents refusing to vaccinate has not only jeopardized their own children but a full 19,393 people in attendance at an NBA game. It isn’t clear what the consequences will be for them. But it should be. There are strong legal precedents for fining, quarantining, or prosecuting individuals who knowingly spread infectious diseases. It’s time to use those precedents to hold anti-vaxxers accountable for their decisions.

It should be noted that, at least in Portland, anyone exposing the public to measles could be quarantined under Oregon Control of Disease statutes that specifically state: “No person shall willfully cause the spread of any communicable disease within this state.” And to further point out that law enforcement can be used to enforce quarantines. In California and eight other states, there are laws that allow the criminal prosecution and fining of individuals who endanger the public with the spread of infectious diseases, even if they are doing so by proxy. In Europe and Australia, where vaccination refusal has reached alarming levels, parents who do not vaccinate their children can be subject to fines from $600 in Italy to as much as $3,000 in Germany.

Legal ramifications are becoming a norm. And that’s as it should be.

These measures may sound extreme. They are. So is the public health risk. In fact, the World Health Organization recently placed vaccination refusal as one of the top health crises menacing the globe. So it would make sense to start holding anti-vaxxers accountable for the risk they pose, not just to their own communities, but to the public at large.

The fact that measles infection is spreading in the Northwestern U.S. is especially egregious given how infectious that disease is and how effective the vaccine is. At some point, the issue of personal liberty butts up against issues of public safety and child endangerment.

It should be noted that the precedents for prosecuting individuals passing on infectious diseases do not originate from the noblest intentions. In fact, they are couched in a history of homophobia. Many the disease-related statutes currently on the books in 26 American states are related to HIV infection specifically. The best of these focus on punishing individuals who knowingly and intentionally pass HIV to innocent and unaware sexual partners. The worst of them criminalize homosexual acts because they are related to the transmission of HIV.

That said, while ethically dubious, HIV laws offer a path forward in pushing back on those individuals who refuse to vaccinate children for personal reasons. The fact is that an unvaccinated child could become infected with the measles virus and not present symptoms for up to eight days. During that time they are a vector, sharing the measles virus wherever they go.

It’s one thing to be wary of prosecuting someone who engaged in sexual intercourse with a willing and trusting sexual partner aware of the risks of unprotected sex. But that wariness should disappear when the victim is a random air traveler or a Damian Lillard fan. Those individuals are living their lives and have been placed in jeopardy by the willfully selfish and ignorant actions of an irresponsible parent.

Holding these parents accountable is critical. More education is not going to do the trick. It has been well established that anti-vaxxers often become more hardline in their views the more science they are exposed to. However, if you jeopardize a person’s financial security or freedom they may become a bit more motivated to question their ludicrous convictions.

The point is not that we should make vaccines mandatory, but that we should make the consequences for refusing to vaccinate kids and then putting other people at risk onerous. That’s not a semantic difference. Anti-vaxxers have railed against government interference in family decision-making. Fine. Let them win that battle. But you can’t have your disease and share it — or at least you shouldn’t be able to do so without winding up in court.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/anti-vaxxers-spreading-measles-portland-201507190.html

Here we go again ?

I've posted stats showing that measles is no significant health risk to anybody who is free of underlying health issues. Presumably people attending a stadium are sufficiently healthy to do so ?

What comes out of this post is a clear illustration of the drive there is to put authoritarianism above individual freedoms. I ask, as I have before, where unquestioning acceptance of that psychological imperative will lead. To what extent will it be abused in the future ?

If public gatherings can be such an alleged 'danger' ... then, on health grounds, why not just ban them ?? That'd solve the 'problem'. Then, no 'danger' can come from something rendered an impossibility ... yes ?

Authoritarianism, backed up by a plausible excuse for it, can be a 'wonderful' thing ..... ??? .........

jimnyc
05-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Here we go again ?

Only you want to replay the identical argument no matter the thread.

A person with measles IS a health risk, whether that be a person dying or not. A child IS more vulnerable. Also both FACTS.

But we're talking about someone purposely having it and taking it into public places. It's perhaps one of the most contagious infections out there. I guess only death means it's a bad thing to you. But again, not the intent of this thread, or the last one, or the one prior to that. I see no reason to believe this thread won't go the route as the others, even when I ask.

You know better, so be it. My bad for posting an article about a public health risk AND a major one, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. The facts and the deaths of these children and then the continued deaths in countries that likely think "is no significant health risk". And for them believing as much, the world gets 100,000+ killed. No risk there either. And no need for immunizations either.

But I get the idea, no threads about 'measles' are apparently allowed for whatever reason. Wouldn't want others to know the risks, better to take the route of the anti-vaxxers and the countries that don't immunize. Weird how both of those suffer more?

I'm outta this one.

Drummond
05-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Only you want to replay the identical argument no matter the thread.

A person with measles IS a health risk, whether that be a person dying or not. A child IS more vulnerable. Also both FACTS.

But we're talking about someone purposely having it and taking it into public places. It's perhaps one of the most contagious infections out there. I guess only death means it's a bad thing to you. But again, not the intent of this thread, or the last one, or the one prior to that. I see no reason to believe this thread won't go the route as the others, even when I ask.

You know better, so be it. My bad for posting an article about a public health risk AND a major one, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. The facts and the deaths of these children and then the continued deaths in countries that likely think "is no significant health risk". And for them believing as much, the world gets 100,000+ killed. No risk there either. And no need for immunizations either.

But I get the idea, no threads about 'measles' are apparently allowed for whatever reason. Wouldn't want others to know the risks, better to take the route of the anti-vaxxers and the countries that don't immunize. Weird how both of those suffer more?

I'm outta this one.

By all means, opt out of the debate. Your choice and privilege, Jim.

Your statement 'no threads about 'measles' are apparently allowed for whatever reason' is as unfair as it gets. I'm happy to debate this subject whenever and wherever it appears ! What's more ... as I'm sure you well know, I debate with recourse to facts and statistics, whenever I can, and this forum contains ample evidence of my doing precisely that, on this very subject !!

It's 'not my fault' that the chances of dying from measles in any Western country are many thousands to one against (!!), and even then, only usually if the disease combines with some other, usually serious, added health condition ! I've proved that exhaustively. Facts are facts.

I'm more statistically likely to be seriously harmed by crossing a busy street. I've no plans whatever to give up doing so.

Anyway, you choose not to debate. Fine .. of course.

High_Plains_Drifter
05-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Measles was declared WIPED OUT in America years ago.

The illegal alien invasion is why it's back.

Drummond
05-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Measles was declared WIPED OUT in America years ago.

Indeed, it was. I found the internet links to prove it.

The illegal alien invasion is why it's back.

Makes sense. Although I remember coming across something suggesting that Ukraine might have something to do with it. Has there been a mass migration from Ukraine to America ?

That's one story I missed ....

Elessar
05-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Fact is if vaccinated at an early age, the likelihood of a child contracting the various forms of the disease is single digit percentage.
Fact is, an unvaccinated adult who never caught the forms of the scourge contracts it in later life stages, it can be lethal.