PDA

View Full Version : Our new summer home

Bilgerat
06-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Here at https://www.acresofwildlife.com/Default.aspx we plan to enjoy the Maine summer

:laugh: :laugh: If it ever gets here :laugh: :laugh:

We've just finished our first week at this lovely campground. We're "work campers" this year, the Lady works in the office and I am employed as evening security (a task I seem to be good at)

However, summer is slow to come, it gets down to the low 50's at night and my blood is still thinned by the Florida weather (insert shivering icon here). At least our camper has an excellent furnace, so it's nice and toasty when I get off duty.

The season really hasn't started (the schools are still in session) so it's very quiet right now. We only work about 30 hours a week and our day's off coincide, so we have time to visit with the chirrun and the wildlings. So we're pretty happy about it!

The wifi's pretty spotty, so my visits with you will be fewer than before. I'll send photo's when things get hopping. Hope you all enjoy your summer!

jimnyc
06-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Sleeping in a tent in the low 50's would be a dream for me! I sleep way too warm and love it cold, but not freezing. I'd love that.

I also LOVE camping! Looks like you have a great place to chill at!

darin
06-02-2019, 12:49 PM
jealous. I am eager to do that stuff for a living. 9 years until retirement!! :)

jimnyc
06-02-2019, 01:12 PM
jealous. I am eager to do that stuff for a living. 9 years until retirement!! :)

Yeah, and I'm now jealous of both of you!!

darin
06-03-2019, 01:39 AM
it's not all roses, Jim. I have no home. I have no roots anywhere. It's good and bad. As i prep for retirement (should have been this diligent 20 years ago :( ) and start thinking of downsizing, the cost of living is rapidly getting higher and my social security payment will be farther and farther out of reach. I would love to SUE the US Govt for failure to deliver on their promise of 'security'. I think of the money I've put into SS and wonder how much farther ahead I'd have been investing that on my own. Blah.

Bilgerat
06-03-2019, 05:48 PM
Sleeping in a tent in the low 50's would be a dream for me! I sleep way too warm and love it cold, but not freezing. I'd love that.

I also LOVE camping! Looks like you have a great place to chill at!

Tent? Aw HELLS no. We have a 28 foot camper with a slide. I am way to old and broken to sleep in anything without proper "climate control" (lol)

So the owners asked if I might do other things than security, I said why not and found my self working as an outside mechanic.

Hey, the checks clear and I found out that there's a bonus at the end of the year! There is also a "colorful" bunch of people in the work camp area. A very interesting mix of tales that I'm waiting to see as they fill in (lol) (Let's just say that they are NOT Quakers)

SassyLady
06-03-2019, 06:42 PM
it's not all roses, Jim. I have no home. I have no roots anywhere. It's good and bad. As i prep for retirement (should have been this diligent 20 years ago :( ) and start thinking of downsizing, the cost of living is rapidly getting higher and my social security payment will be farther and farther out of reach. I would love to SUE the US Govt for failure to deliver on their promise of 'security'. I think of the money I've put into SS and wonder how much farther ahead I'd have been investing that on my own. Blah.

Not just the money you've put in ... but employers match you $ for $.