PDA

View Full Version : 12,000 btu AC

Yurt
09-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Have a heat wave in SLO, so bought a 12,000 btu window AC. My pad:

1 bedroom

downtown SLO, so factor downtown, but, am on the hill facing the coastal valley

approx 700 sq feet; upstairs unit (1950s), with only someone below us, all four walls are free. Windows are a year old, double paned. Admittedly, the insulation is not much. But, I have had this thing running on high at the lowest temp since about 10 am this morning.

Are window units weak? It is a sharp.

Any ideas? Cuz it is not that cool in here.

Mr. P
09-02-2007, 08:48 PM
I haven't been near a window unit for many, many years, so all I can say on this is..typically all a/c air should be 30* colder that the outside air. If it is it's working as it should.

darin
09-03-2007, 12:17 AM
you spelled but wrong.

nevadamedic
09-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Have a heat wave in SLO, so bought a 12,000 btu window AC. My pad:

1 bedroom

downtown SLO, so factor downtown, but, am on the hill facing the coastal valley

approx 700 sq feet; upstairs unit (1950s), with only someone below us, all four walls are free. Windows are a year old, double paned. Admittedly, the insulation is not much. But, I have had this thing running on high at the lowest temp since about 10 am this morning.

Are window units weak? It is a sharp.

Any ideas? Cuz it is not that cool in here.

Window units are weak. All the ones I sold at Sears came back. Get a portible that are on wheels, thats what I have.

JohnDoe
09-03-2007, 02:34 AM
12k btu unit is good for about 400 sq ft...yoou need another unit for another window at least 8000 btu....

or shut off the doors to your bath and bedroom until the living area is cool then open the bedroom door or visa versa.

nevadamedic
09-03-2007, 02:51 AM
12k btu unit is good for about 400 sq ft...yoou need another unit for another window at least 8000 btu....

or shut off the doors to your bath and bedroom until the living area is cool then open the bedroom door or visa versa.

Naaaa, he should just get a couple portable units and put one in the bedroom and one downstairs. I have the Sharp unit it has an Ionic Air Cleaner and Humidifier in it, it is an awesome unit. I clean the filters every couple of days and you wouldn't believe the stuff it picks up.:dance:

JohnDoe
09-03-2007, 03:33 AM
i was looking at the portable units Nevada, when we had a heat spell, they are nice units, some have purifyers, dehumidifiers, and even heaters on them....!!!

they are more money than the window units, but at least you can keep your window views with them, or move them from room to room if you had to....!

Yurt
09-03-2007, 04:14 PM
you spelled but wrong.

ooops

i have a 12,000 but AC and man is it a stinker

Yurt
09-03-2007, 04:19 PM

LOL. That is exactly what I finally did. Then in the eve I shut the kitchen door and it worked like a charm...........at Midnight.

Actually, once I shut the doors it worked better. The thing says for rooms of 650 sq feet. So I thought in my 700 sq ft pad it would work. But I have a feeling that it literally means "rooms" i.e., no walls seperating. Even though I am a one bedroom, the walls are thick and the entrances to kitchen/hallway to room have doors (well took the door off the hallway) so I think the specs don't relate to non open spaces, it most likely means a literal open faced room.

Oh well, bought it at costco. Probably take it back.........next week.

Yurt
09-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Window units are weak. All the ones I sold at Sears came back. Get a portible that are on wheels, thats what I have.

I am now finding that out. Taking mine back ..... soon.

nevadamedic
09-03-2007, 05:21 PM
i was looking at the portable units Nevada, when we had a heat spell, they are nice units, some have purifyers, dehumidifiers, and even heaters on them....!!!

they are more money than the window units, but at least you can keep your window views with them, or move them from room to room if you had to....!

I love my unit. My bedroom is close to 500 square feet not including the bathroom, two person shower(with massage heads) ;) and my huge walk in closet. This air conditioner gets my room, bathroom and closet so cool that I can barely stand it if I have it on Mega Cool. It also cools the hall and the other rooms in my hall. I would reccommend this to anyone. I bet the if Yurt put one of these upstairs and one downstairs he would br in good shape. I love the Ionic aircleaner and humidifer feature, I use them even when the AC part isn't on.

This unit does do heat as well but I have a Gas Fireplace in my room with a thermostat that I use in the winter. It works really well you can set the fireplace for whatever temperature you want your room to be, then it shuts down when it gets that temperature and when the room cools down it automatically kicks back on.

You still have to connect a tube to a window for a vent but it doesn't take up the whole window and not even a quarter of it.

nevadamedic
09-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I am now finding that out. Taking mine back ..... soon.

Depending on where you bought it you may have a certain number of days to return it. Typically places with a 30 day return policy give you 14 days to return Air Conditioners, with the exception of Costco. I would get your next Air Conditioner from there. Where did you get it from? Seriously take a look at the Sharp, I don't think you will be dissapointed. I've had mine for two years and have never had a problem. Also it comes with a remote where you can control every feature with and you can even set the temperature you want your room at with the remote. It is also on wheels for easy moving. It is really quiet, it is by my TV and I hardly hear it. If you can afford it get one for upstairs and one for down. You will be amased. If you have a ceiling fan downstairs and in your room like I do put it right by there and that will circulate the cold air around the room.