PDA

View Full Version : If My Truck Was Paid For, I'd Be ALL OVER THIS...

High_Plains_Drifter
06-07-2019, 08:30 PM
In my opinion, of all the old hotrods up to 1973, this is my favorite, and red w/black stripes, a 4-speed, #'s matching engine Z-28, it doesn't get any better than this. I don't know why I bother to look. I can't afford it right now. I guess I just can't help myself. But a few years down the road when the truck is paid off, I'll still be looking, and if I find one like this again, no doubt in my mind I'll be dealing on it. I absolutely LOVE these '70, '71, '72 split front bumper Camaros, and a Z-28, this is it... damn... I just got drool on my new laptop...

https://i.ibb.co/Cz7yMPW/z28.jpg

https://fastlanecars.com/vehicles/2072/1972-chevrolet-camaro-z28

High_Plains_Drifter
06-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Here's another one. Both of these are very affordable, and I know they'd wheel and deal on those asking prices...

https://i.ibb.co/ZWZ8vg2/Chevelle.jpg

https://fastlanecars.com/vehicles/2012/1972-chevrolet-malibu

Elessar
06-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Here's another one. Both of these are very affordable, and I know they'd wheel and deal on those asking prices...

I am drooling over this one!:laugh:

icansayit
06-07-2019, 09:24 PM

Here's my 1st car when I turned 16. 1948 Ford Sedan. https://www.hippostcard.com/uploads/0d1234f3077bc5ee924ab99ac446665f.jpg

After I got married, in 1969.....this was my sweet one on wheels.. 1966 Chevy Impala SS.
https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2018/09/63862612-770-0@2X.jpg

High_Plains_Drifter
06-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Figured you guys would like the big block in the Chevelle, I do too, although it's not the 450hp, aluminum, LS5. That's the desirable one, but was only two years I believe in the Chevelle, 1970 and 1971. But that surely doesn't stop one from pulling the engine in that '72 and massaging it a bit with a new lumper cam and some aluminum heads with a smaller combustion chamber to up the compression a bit, and with rectangle ports, (I'm sure the heads that are on it have oval ports), and a new intake, and maybe even fuel injection.

The Camaro would be a lot more desirable with a big block too, but at least is does have it's #'s matching engine, and that always adds value to a car to have the original engine, especially a hotrod.

Saw a very similar Chevelle on Mecum auctions last night that went for $45K, so these guys are right on the money for price.

Always wanted a Corvette too, but if I bought a Vette, it would be a newer one.

Yeah that place is only 370 miles away from me, an easy 6-7 hour drive straight south.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-08-2019, 08:11 AM
My first car was a maroon with a black vinyl top, 1966 Dodge Monaco, four door, bought it from my parents. Not even going to post a picture of it... :laugh:

STTAB
06-10-2019, 01:22 PM
I never was much of a fan of the 2nd gen Camaro. 67-69 for me is the best, and actually my favorite is just the small block powered ones. They are so much more street friendly. I mean at the track of course you want the all aluminum 427 lol

High_Plains_Drifter
06-10-2019, 11:57 PM
I never was much of a fan of the 2nd gen Camaro. 67-69 for me is the best, and actually my favorite is just the small block powered ones. They are so much more street friendly. I mean at the track of course you want the all aluminum 427 lol
Big block Camaro for sure.

I had the chance to buy a 1969 Z-28 with the 302 and a 4-speed that Chevy put in them for IMSA racing. It was gray and a really nice car. But back then hotrods were everywhere though, and I already had my 1970 AMC AMX that would run circles around that Camaro. Also had my 1967 Chevelle Malibu with a Vette engine it and my 1970 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. But, hind sight is 20-20. Sure wish I'd have bought that Camaro now. It would be worth a small fortune. More than my AMX, which is the one car I owned that I REALLY kick myself for selling. Had the 340hp 390ci in it, conservatively rated for insurance, the 4-speed with the Hurst spring loaded comp shifter and a posi, the "GO PACK." Thing ran like a scalded dog. But my 2017 2SS Camaro would have sucked the headlights out of it. Newer hotrods are just faster, handle better, stop better, the works.

This is why I'll never sell my collector 2006 FXD35 35th Anniversary Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide. They only made 3,500 of them and they're all numbered. Someday that bike is going to be realized for the RARE collector it is, and how FEW of them were ever made. Probably one of the LOWEST production number Harleys ever made. Harley doesn't even make the Dyna anymore either, making it even more rare. Only has a little over 7,000 miles on it, and I'm not looking to put a whole lot more on it either. The lower the miles, the more it's worth. Cherry bike, one owner, and the owner is a retired Master Harley Davidson Tech. I do ride it though, have to. Have to get the oil pumping through the engine every once and awhile.

https://i.ibb.co/9TMgvpw/20190227-192836.jpg

SassyLady
06-11-2019, 04:12 AM
First car .. Chevy Impala bought used

Second car ... Pontiac Bonneville except mine was puke pea green color. Bought used.

3rd car ... Ford Pinto (first new car for me and never a used car since ... went from large boats to small car and was broadsided and totaled and it was only 2 years old. Ordered the Olds and waited 8 weeks)

4th car ... Oldsmobile Cutlass S (had swivel buckets). Looked exactly like this.

Had a 4 dr Chevy Caprice to accommodate 3 kids in the 80s.

Then got my muscle car back with my '85 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Sold to my son-in-law and he's restoring it. So, it is still in family. I blew motor up in 1990 but rebuilt it. Daughter totaled it in 1994 (but only because the decal package was too expensive. We bought it back and it being restored).

After that had a Mercedes 320E.

Then 2004 Yukon XL.

Then 2016 Ford Explorer (drove 1 year and hated it.)

Now have 2017 Yukon Denali.

I like big and powerful.

Also, won't date someone who doesn't have at least one truck or SUV. :coffee:

High_Plains_Drifter
06-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Well if you weren't so far away... ;)

darin
06-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Love those cars - even the pinto. :)

STTAB
06-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Big block Camaro for sure.

I had the chance to buy a 1969 Z-28 with the 302 and a 4-speed that Chevy put in them for IMSA racing. It was gray and a really nice car. But back then hotrods were everywhere though, and I already had my 1970 AMC AMX that would run circles around that Camaro. Also had my 1967 Chevelle Malibu with a Vette engine it and my 1970 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. But, hind sight is 20-20. Sure wish I'd have bought that Camaro now. It would be worth a small fortune. More than my AMX, which is the one car I owned that I REALLY kick myself for selling. Had the 340hp 390ci in it, conservatively rated for insurance, the 4-speed with the Hurst spring loaded comp shifter and a posi, the "GO PACK." Thing ran like a scalded dog. But my 2017 2SS Camaro would have sucked the headlights out of it. Newer hotrods are just faster, handle better, stop better, the works.

This is why I'll never sell my collector 2006 FXD35 35th Anniversary Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide. They only made 3,500 of them and they're all numbered. Someday that bike is going to be realized for the RARE collector it is, and how FEW of them were ever made. Probably one of the LOWEST production number Harleys ever made. Harley doesn't even make the Dyna anymore either, making it even more rare. Only has a little over 7,000 miles on it, and I'm not looking to put a whole lot more on it either. The lower the miles, the more it's worth. Cherry bike, one owner, and the owner is a retired Master Harley Davidson Tech. I do ride it though, have to. Have to get the oil pumping through the engine every once and awhile.

https://i.ibb.co/9TMgvpw/20190227-192836.jpg

I'm not a motorcycle guy myself, but I do appreciate the beauty of a HD. The one exception I would make is if I ever came across a somewhat reasonably priced pre 1945 HD I'd try to buy it.

STTAB
06-11-2019, 01:25 PM
First car .. Chevy Impala bought used

Second car ... Pontiac Bonneville except mine was puke pea green color. Bought used.

3rd car ... Ford Pinto (first new car for me and never a used car since ... went from large boats to small car and was broadsided and totaled and it was only 2 years old. Ordered the Olds and waited 8 weeks)

4th car ... Oldsmobile Cutlass S (had swivel buckets). Looked exactly like this.

Had a 4 dr Chevy Caprice to accommodate 3 kids in the 80s.

Then got my muscle car back with my '85 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Sold to my son-in-law and he's restoring it. So, it is still in family. I blew motor up in 1990 but rebuilt it. Daughter totaled it in 1994 (but only because the decal package was too expensive. We bought it back and it being restored).

After that had a Mercedes 320E.

Then 2004 Yukon XL.

Then 2016 Ford Explorer (drove 1 year and hated it.)

Now have 2017 Yukon Denali.

I like big and powerful.

If a man doesn't own a truck, is he really a man?

SassyLady
06-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Well if you weren't so far away... ;)

If my Yukon knew you had this she would find a way to meet.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-11-2019, 03:35 PM
You mean my new $62,160.00 2018 top of the line High Country won't do the trick? It's only got 1,700 miles on it...

https://i.ibb.co/RgRvWdm/20181221-161612.jpg

STTAB
06-12-2019, 03:03 PM
You mean my new $62,160.00 2018 top of the line High Country won't do the trick? It's only got 1,700 miles on it...

https://i.ibb.co/RgRvWdm/20181221-161612.jpg

It would look better in red, but that is a beautiful truck.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-12-2019, 08:56 PM
It would look better in red, but that is a beautiful truck.
I'd have bought a red one if there'd have been one. Thing is though, High Country's are kinda few and far between, and I've never seen a red one. Most are black or white, some Gun Metal Black that look gray.

Yeah the black is pretty, and I like the black, but it's damn hard to keep clean. Black just shows everything.

STTAB
06-13-2019, 09:34 AM
I'd have bought a red one if there'd have been one. Thing is though, High Country's are kinda few and far between, and I've never seen a red one. Most are black or white, some Gun Metal Black that look gray.

Yeah the black is pretty, and I like the black, but it's damn hard to keep clean. Black just shows everything.

Same dilemna when I bought my new F250 in 2017. We wanted a King Ranch, they don't offer the King Ranch in bright red.

You should be able to buy any vehicle in any color offered in that line IMO. I mean if the F150 XLT is offered in bright red, why isn't the King Ranch F250 or in your case if baseline Silverado is, why isn't the premium High Country?

High_Plains_Drifter
06-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Same dilemna when I bought my new F250 in 2017. We wanted a King Ranch, they don't offer the King Ranch in bright red.

You should be able to buy any vehicle in any color offered in that line IMO. I mean if the F150 XLT is offered in bright red, why isn't the King Ranch F250 or in your case if baseline Silverado is, why isn't the premium High Country?
I totally agree there. If and when I ever do buy a new truck, for the first time in my life, I might sit down with the salesman and actually ORDER what I want instead of shopping off the lot.

Couple things they changed on the Silverado though that I really don't like, and I mean deal breaker don't like. One is the instruments just look CHEAP compared to the 2018 and older, and second is the steering wheel tilt. The tilt on my '18 is awesome, like it's always been, lots of easy as pie up and down adjustment, but new for '19 now, they entire damn steering column moves with the wheel and there's very little adjustment. I hate both changes. If they don't change that back, I'll keep my 2018. It's that big'a deal to me.

STTAB
06-13-2019, 11:18 AM
I totally agree there. If and when I ever do buy a new truck, for the first time in my life, I might sit down with the salesman and actually ORDER what I want instead of shopping off the lot.

Couple things they changed on the Silverado though that I really don't like, and I mean deal breaker don't like. One is the instruments just look CHEAP compared to the 2018 and older, and second is the steering wheel tilt. The tilt on my '18 is awesome, like it's always been, lots of easy as pie up and down adjustment, but new for '19 now, they entire damn steering column moves with the wheel and there's very little adjustment. I hate both changes. If they don't change that back, I'll keep my 2018. It's that big'a deal to me.

I did order mine, Ford simply didn't paint the KR in the bright red, period. They had a damn XLT right on the lot, bright red, but not available on the KR. Even special ordered.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-13-2019, 11:23 AM
I did order mine, Ford simply didn't paint the KR in the bright red, period. They had a damn XLT right on the lot, bright red, but not available on the KR. Even special ordered.
Yeah that sucks. I've watched a video about the King Ranch, nice truck.

Is your's a diesel?

STTAB
06-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Yeah that sucks. I've watched a video about the King Ranch, nice truck.

Is your's a diesel?

Yes, we haul a lot cattle plus my oldest daughter is into rodeo so we're always hauling a horse trailer somewhere. Diesel is the way to go when you need to haul a 32' trailer full of cattle to the sale barn. It is just a single wheel F250 though (4x4 is a must here)

STTAB
06-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Just for shits and grins I went and looked and yes you can order a 2019 Sliverado in the top of the line High Country trim in Cajun Red which is a fairly bright red.

It's a $500 option, but what' another $500 when you're talking about an $80K truck

High_Plains_Drifter
06-13-2019, 04:35 PM
Just for shits and grins I went and looked and yes you can order a 2019 Sliverado in the top of the line High Country trim in Cajun Red which is a fairly bright red.

It's a $500 option, but what' another $500 when you're talking about an $80K truck
I'll be damned... there it is. Had there been a red one on the lot, I'd have snatched that sucker up. I like red.

That one in your pic is a 2500 though, but I don't see as though that should make difference. If you can order a 2500 in red, then why not a 1500?

Yeah there was a 2500 Silverado LTZ in red when I bought my 1500. Looked like the one in the pic you posted. It only had about 18,000 and was a 2017 with the 6.6ltr diesel and Allison tranny. Very pretty truck. I drove it and thought about buying it, but it had the fifth wheel in the bed so obviously it had spent those miles pulling something. If I buy a diesel, it's going to be brand new. I had a 2015 2500HD Z71 LTZ with the 6.0ltr gas engine in it. Extended cab, short bed. Nice truck. Was on the lot 3 days and was gone when I traded it in on the Camaro. Somebody snatched that up in a heart beat. Short cab, standard bed, 3/4 ton. My salesman said the guy said that it was exactly what he had been looking for.

I like my 1500 High Country better.

https://i.ibb.co/G7yWrpJ/IMG-0021.jpg