PDA

View Full Version : London will soon be home to the world’s most frightening hotel pool

jimnyc
06-08-2019, 11:01 AM
This thing is a "Nope, no thank you" right from the get go, but gets worse! After I looked at the rendering, I was asking myself how the hell do you get in and out of the damn pool? Then I read, and then I said Nope, no EFFING thank you to that idea!

I just KNOW my luck. Here it is at 2am - "Honey, been a long night, I'm gonna go for a 5 minute swim to relax, be right back..."

So now I use their magic trick WTF drowing ladder to go up an into the pool. And I find out that it's already got one lonely 520lb man in there, and the tops of the water in the pool splashing in and out over the top and down 55 floors.

And now I want out. So I use their magic ladder again, but it won't come back up. Now I'm stuck with the fat guy. And my luck, the people that can see below will even perhaps know, but no one can fix it. So now I'm stuck with a guy who sees me as food, on top of the world in a pool that's about to send me over the top like a waterfall.

Nope, not for me anyway! I have no need to read or hear "death defying" when I want to relax in the pool!!

---

London will soon be home to the world’s most frightening hotel pool

Have you ever visited a hotel and thought to yourself “Boy, this place would be so much better if the entire roof was a pool”? Well, if you happen to live in the United Kingdom, today is your lucky day!

Compass Pools, a UK-based pool maker, is currently hashing out what it calls the “Infinity London,” a 55-story skyscraper topped with a 360-degree pool with transparent walls. The building, which was designed from top to bottom by the company, will include a five-star hotel, and the pool is expected to be the main attraction.

Making a pool suitable for sticking atop a 55-story building posed some serious technical hurdles for the company, but they think they’ve got it all figured out. Rather than glass, the entire pool will be made of acrylic, with a transparent bottom that will allow visitors on lower floors to see the pool and swimmers high above.

https://i.imgur.com/15Pt0Gw.png

Getting into and out of the pool would be easy with some kind of external staircase, but the building’s designers didn’t want to clutter the side profile of the structure with such things. “Normally a simple ladder would suffice, but we didn’t want stairs on the outside of the building or in the pool as it would spoil the view – and obviously you don’t want 600,000 litres of water draining through the building either,” the company says.

Compass Pools came up with a different idea, which they say is based on the airlock of a submarine. It’s described as “a rotating spiral staircase” that will “[rise] from the pool floor when someone wants to get in or out.” The company says the Infinity London could be under construction as early as 2020 “if all the partners and contractors are confirmed.”

It’s all incredibly strange and awesome and terrifying at the same time. The company, which calls the experience “death-defying swimming,” is clearly betting that plenty of people will be willing to take the chance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/london-soon-home-world-most-130044295.html

Abbey Marie
06-08-2019, 11:22 AM
No no no no no no.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Uuumm... no.

icansayit
06-08-2019, 06:48 PM
One, really dumb question here....something to think about.

You're in the pool....throw the beach ball to another person....the wind catches it, and it blows over the side.

WHO GOES DOWN THE 55 STORIES to get the beach ball?

IDEA.....GPS device in the ball, whoever returns it gets a free swim.

Elessar
06-08-2019, 06:56 PM
That is one of the stupidest notions I have ever seen.

I boarded a luxury yacht one time that was having righting difficulties in choppy and windy seas.
The idiot owner had installed a Jacuzzi on the flying bridge near the vessel controls that made it
top heavy and damn near uncontrollable. I told him to drain the damn thing. I could have had
a marine surveyor come out and declare he was on a Manifestly Unsafe Voyage due to vessel
configuration.

Drummond
06-08-2019, 07:14 PM
I knew there was a reason I wanted to go back to London .... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've never seen such a thing in London before (& I lived there for much of my life). Ah, but I came across a rooftop pool in Malaga, Spain, once, at a hotel I was staying at.

A very eerie experience -- most odd. Not one I've any interest in repeating, even if it is on 'home turf'.

Give me the London Eye, Madame Tussaud's, or even the Tower of London, any day (I would've included the London Planetarium in that, if the Madame Tussaud building hadn't taken it over ...).

Abbey Marie
06-09-2019, 01:14 AM
I knew there was a reason I wanted to go back to London .... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've never seen such a thing in London before (& I lived there for much of my life). Ah, but I came across a rooftop pool in Malaga, Spain, once, at a hotel I was staying at.

A very eerie experience -- most odd. Not one I've any interest in repeating, even if it is on 'home turf'.

Give me the London Eye, Madame Tussaud's, or even the Tower of London, any day (I would've included the London Planetarium in that, if the Madame Tussaud building hadn't taken it over ...).

We had limited time, and chose to see Tussaud’s. Wish I had seen some of the British Museum instead.

Drummond
06-09-2019, 01:14 PM
We had limited time, and chose to see Tussaud’s. Wish I had seen some of the British Museum instead.

Don't blame you ! Madame Tussaud's is invariably crowded, and certainly at the last time I visited (a year ago) queuing was horrendous.

I paid their premium rate to get preferential access (a way of beating the queue). Even that was chaotic. Did you find yourself jostling with crowds wherever you went ?

I really lament the loss of the Planetarium (that domed section of the building, the first part of Tussaud's you come across if you approach from Baker St underground station). I've fond childhood memories of visiting it.

Gunny
06-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Not that "Achmed" would ever think of such a thing as flying a plane into a high rise, or fire a LAAW at it (we have two raghead Congresscritters who assure us he won't :rolleyes:), BUT ...

If that thing takes a hit and all that water goes out one hole at one time? Guess who's going with it ...