PDA

View Full Version : Iran Makes Announcement

Kathianne
07-01-2019, 01:13 PM
While I hope that positive results come from North Korea, something needs to be done to stop Iran and North Korea.

With North Korea it's not a matter of keeping them from getting nukes, but finding a way to prevent them from using them.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/1/20677093/iran-uranium-nuclear-deal-trump-war

Why Iran just violated part of the 2015 nuclear dealExpect the Trump administration not to be too happy with this announcement.

By Alex Ward@AlexWardVoxalex.ward@vox.com Jul 1, 2019, 11:20am EDT

Iran has officially broken part of its commitment to the 2015 nuclear deal — following through on its months-long threat and further raising tensions with the United States.

In May, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said his country would stockpile more low-enriched uranium than the 660 pounds the nuclear accord allows. The following month, a top Iranian nuclear official said Rouhani’s wasn’t an empty threat and that Tehran would blow past the limit within 10 days.

While it took a little longer than that, Iran has finally done what it said it’d do.

Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency quoted Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Monday saying that his country had surpassed the ceiling. Fredrik Dahl, the chief spokesperson for the International Atomic Energy Agency, the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog, confirmed Iran’s claim to me and added that IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano told the group’s board of governors about the development.

The worst may be yet to come. The enrichment level of the uranium Iran has now — 3.67 percent — isn’t high enough to make a nuclear bomb. But Tehran vows to increase enrichment to weapons-grade level by July 7, which would significantly escalate the months-long standoff between the US and Iran by potentially putting the latter closer to getting a nuclear weapon (though Iran has never officially said it wants one).

There may be a way out of this mess, though. Zarif told IRNA that “if Europeans do what they have to do, our measures are reversible,” referring to Tehran’s efforts to get European nations to trade with Iran despite US sanctions imposed after Trump withdrew from the nuclear deal last year.

But if that doesn’t happen — and it’s unlikely, since the US would penalize European countries for doing so — then Iran may soon be on the path to having a much more dangerous nuclear program than in recent years.

Why Iran’s strategy to end US-led sanctions could fail
Iran may be a relatively powerful country in the Middle East, but its options for pushing back against the US and its European allies are few. Its two best options are to cease compliance with the terms of the nuclear agreement and to threaten to disrupt the global energy trade.

jimnyc
07-01-2019, 01:25 PM
While I hope that positive results come from North Korea, something needs to be done to stop Iran and North Korea.

With North Korea it's not a matter of keeping them from getting nukes, but finding a way to prevent them from using them.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/1/20677093/iran-uranium-nuclear-deal-trump-war

Agree 50,000%. But with sanctions making them react in this manner, I think it only grows worse. I don't see them stopping unless...

Unless a coalition is all TOGETHER and that includes the left as well coming together - and then swoop in and do as much damage as possible and swoop back out. And I don't mean shock and awe, or just blowing shit up - but hitting nuclear installation sites, and maybe hitting a few or more of their oil wells will set them back for awhile.

But will it ever happen? Will the left support limited action? Will a coalition agree that they must be stopped and cannot be trusted with them?

Other than that - do you see them getting anything short of THEIR demands before they would de-nuke? I don't believe what they say much more than I do coming out of NK.

Kathianne
07-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Agree 50,000%. But with sanctions making them react in this manner, I think it only grows worse. I don't see them stopping unless...

Unless a coalition is all TOGETHER and that includes the left as well coming together - and then swoop in and do as much damage as possible and swoop back out. And I don't mean shock and awe, or just blowing shit up - but hitting nuclear installation sites, and maybe hitting a few or more of their oil wells will set them back for awhile.

But will it ever happen? Will the left support limited action? Will a coalition agree that they must be stopped and cannot be trusted with them?

Other than that - do you see them getting anything short of THEIR demands before they would de-nuke? I don't believe what they say much more than I do coming out of NK.

I don't think it's just the left that is a problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0jMsspE7Y

Drummond
07-01-2019, 05:00 PM
I don't think it's just the left that is a problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0jMsspE7Y

Agreed. Obama has a lot to answer for.

He agreed 'his deal' with Iran ... with widespread consensus existing which said that the terms of that deal were too far weighted in Iran's direction. Consequently, Iran's had an extended breathing space, during which it could (relatively) prosper .. and, to build up an additional capability to breach treaty limits if it so chose.

Now, they're demonstrating their ability to do precisely that.

Obama primed Iran to be in a better position to react badly to any cessation of the deal, and worse, he dragged other world powers into also accepting that status quo. Whereas, if Obama had done the opposite of what he did, would Trump, and the world, have such a major problem, today ?

Iran always claimed it had no interest in bomb-grade enrichment of uranium. Now, they're declaring an intention to create some. Obama chose to trust Iran, but, Trump's actions have revealed the reality of Iran's true agenda.

For this, Trump deserves congratulations. Powers facing reality are better capable of facing what they know is true, rather than if they live in cloud cuckoo-land.