PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Social Media and Being Careful What You Wish For

Kathianne
07-02-2019, 10:24 AM
I've maintained for years that the right is actually far ahead of the left in using all of the internet for spreading their messages. Look at the current President. How does he speak to the faithful? Tweets and Breitbart and Fox. The preponderance of conservative blogs, now almost all pro-Trump, are by far and away the most popular.

When it comes to actual persuasion, there is not much of that being done by FB, Instagram, or Twitter.

So?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-internet-has-been-great-for-conservative-speech-lets-keep-it-that-way

Not the best move, being done by a politician because he doesn't get it.

STTAB
07-02-2019, 10:50 AM
I've seen this guy interviewed several times. All he wants is for these big companies to have to choose between being able to moderate based on political bias OR keep their 230 exemption which makes them immune to civil cases being brought based on things that were posted to their website, but not both

He doesn't even advocate forcing FB to not have a bias when moderating. He does advocate having them choose.

I recently got banned for a week from Facebook for posting on Bernie Sander's page that transgenders were mentally ill cross dressers. Meanwhile someone who saw that post dug into my FB and found a picture of my 14 year od nice and private messaged me that he'd like to fuck her I reported that and it was determiened to be "not against their standards" I asked for a review, and same thing.

Kathianne
07-02-2019, 11:05 AM
I've seen this guy interviewed several times. All he wants is for these big companies to have to choose between being able to moderate based on political bias OR keep their 230 exemption which makes them immune to civil cases being brought based on things that were posted to their website, but not both

He doesn't even advocate forcing FB to not have a bias when moderating. He does advocate having them choose.

I recently got banned for a week from Facebook for posting on Bernie Sander's page that transgenders were mentally ill cross dressers. Meanwhile someone who saw that post dug into my FB and found a picture of my 14 year od nice and private messaged me that he'd like to fuck her I reported that and it was determiened to be "not against their standards" I asked for a review, and same thing.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for, especially when inviting government controls.

My son was banned from FB for 5 months, for harassing conservatives. He'd gone through several week bans, then a month ban, then he got 5 months. He stayed off 8 months. LOL! He's liberal. YES, they certainly find more 'haters' on the right, bias showing. Not even close to the same treatment. My son is obnoxious on FB, but wonderful in RL.

STTAB
07-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Like I said, be careful what you wish for, especially when inviting government controls.

My son was banned from FB for 5 months, for harassing conservatives. He'd gone through several week bans, then a month ban, then he got 5 months. He stayed off 8 months. LOL! He's liberal. YES, they certainly find more 'haters' on the right, bias showing. Not even close to the same treatment. My son is obnoxious on FB, but wonderful in RL.

Why should these websites be immune to lawsuits if they are actively moderating pages? Originally they got the 230 exemption because they claimed that unlike say CNN , they had no control over the user provided content of their site. That is obviously untrue.

Kathianne
07-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Why should these websites be immune to lawsuits if they are actively moderating pages? Originally they got the 230 exemption because they claimed that unlike say CNN , they had no control over the user provided content of their site. That is obviously untrue.

I like being able to choose to walk away. I do not trust government to 'stick it' to big corporations. Indeed, government is the problem.