PDA

View Full Version : Largest earthquake in decades hits Southern California

jimnyc
07-04-2019, 03:06 PM
I truly hope all our friends out of Cali are ok after this!

---

Largest earthquake in decades hits Southern California, measuring 6.4 magnitude

A 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck Southern California on Thursday, the largest temblor to hit the region in two decades.

The 10:33 a.m. quake was centered in the Searles Valley, a remote area of Kern County about 100 miles north of Los Angeles, and was felt as far away as Long Beach and Las Vegas.

There were no immediate reports of fatalities, though authorities in the city of Ridgecrest were responding to dozens of emergency calls.

The quake was the largest in Southern California since the 7.1 Hector Mine quake struck the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps base in 1999.

Caltech seismologist Lucy Jones, California’s foremost earthquake expert, told a midday press conference in Pasadena to anticipate more shaking on the Fourth of July.

Rest - https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquake-california-shake-quake-20190704-story.html

Biggest earthquake in 20 years rocks Southern California, strong aftershocks expected

A powerful earthquake with a preliminary 6.4 magnitude rocked Southern California on Thursday, marking the strongest earthquake in the region since 1999, officials said.

"We will continue to have a lot of aftershocks," seismologist Dr. Lucy Jones warned at a news conference following the quake. "I think the chance of having a magnitude 5 [aftershock] ... it's probably greater than 50-50."

The Fourth of July quake, which struck at about 10:30 a.m. local time, was centered in a remote area near Searles Valley in the Mojave Desert, about 150 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

Rest - https://www.yahoo.com/gma/earthquake-preliminary-6-4-magnitude-rocks-southern-california-174300700--abc-news-topstories.html

Elessar
07-04-2019, 06:57 PM
I read about that earlier. Thankfully that part of the region is largely uninhabited.

I went through several while stationed in Long Beach and Los Angeles. The panic of
those city folk made the 911 system useless due to the volume of calls -
overloaded the system.

Kathianne
07-04-2019, 08:03 PM
I truly hope all our friends out of Cali are ok after this!

---

Largest earthquake in decades hits Southern California, measuring 6.4 magnitude

A 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck Southern California on Thursday, the largest temblor to hit the region in two decades.

The 10:33 a.m. quake was centered in the Searles Valley, a remote area of Kern County about 100 miles north of Los Angeles, and was felt as far away as Long Beach and Las Vegas.

There were no immediate reports of fatalities, though authorities in the city of Ridgecrest were responding to dozens of emergency calls.

The quake was the largest in Southern California since the 7.1 Hector Mine quake struck the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps base in 1999.

Caltech seismologist Lucy Jones, California’s foremost earthquake expert, told a midday press conference in Pasadena to anticipate more shaking on the Fourth of July.

Rest - https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquake-california-shake-quake-20190704-story.html

Biggest earthquake in 20 years rocks Southern California, strong aftershocks expected

A powerful earthquake with a preliminary 6.4 magnitude rocked Southern California on Thursday, marking the strongest earthquake in the region since 1999, officials said.

"We will continue to have a lot of aftershocks," seismologist Dr. Lucy Jones warned at a news conference following the quake. "I think the chance of having a magnitude 5 [aftershock] ... it's probably greater than 50-50."

The Fourth of July quake, which struck at about 10:30 a.m. local time, was centered in a remote area near Searles Valley in the Mojave Desert, about 150 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

Rest - https://www.yahoo.com/gma/earthquake-preliminary-6-4-magnitude-rocks-southern-california-174300700--abc-news-topstories.html

From what I've heard, felt pretty strongly in Phoenix.

Gunny
07-05-2019, 02:17 PM
If California is not at the bottom of the Pacific then I'd have to say President Bush's earthquake machine failed :)