PDA

View Full Version : Cast came off this morning!

jimnyc
07-05-2019, 09:53 AM
So, couldn't wait to get there, it was like Christmas morning when I was a kid!

First a young girl came in with the cutter and sliced it on both sides, then a scissor through the cloth underneath on both sides and then relief!! The air hitting my arm felt SSSSSOoooooooo good!

First thing the young girl said, who is NOT a doctor - "Hmmmm, sure is swelled up a lot". I asked if that is normal after getting the cast off and she said no, it's usually mostly healed by now and all swelling gone.

So, now sent downstairs for more dang xrays. And the arm pretty much hurt the whole time in the cast, and of course xrays hurt as they twist ya like 5 times to get various angles.

Back upstairs and wait, and then see the doc's assistant. Turns out he is out today and not back til Monday.

She then asks me what happened? Did I fall again or similar? I told her no of course, as I didn't fall again. She states the break is actually worse than before! AND now there is an additional break in there and she showed it to me.

So now I have to wait to let the Doc see them on Monday and decide course of action and they call me. One option is of course surgery and screws are likely - and/or and also including right now....

https://i.imgur.com/XpJzBzt.jpg

ARRRRRRTRBGGGGGGGJHHHHHHHHCHH@! Damn 2nd cast on my arm. I hate myself right now. :(

Kathianne
07-05-2019, 10:07 AM

First a young girl came in with the cutter and sliced it on both sides, then a scissor through the cloth underneath on both sides and then relief!! The air hitting my arm felt SSSSSOoooooooo good!

First thing the young girl said, who is NOT a doctor - "Hmmmm, sure is swelled up a lot". I asked if that is normal after getting the cast off and she said no, it's usually mostly healed by now and all swelling gone.

So, now sent downstairs for more dang xrays. And the arm pretty much hurt the whole time in the cast, and of course xrays hurt as they twist ya like 5 times to get various angles.

Back upstairs and wait, and then see the doc's assistant. Turns out he is out today and not back til Monday.

She then asks me what happened? Did I fall again or similar? I told her no of course, as I didn't fall again. She states the break is actually worse than before! AND now there is an additional break in there and she showed it to me.

So now I have to wait to let the Doc see them on Monday and decide course of action and they call me. One option is of course surgery and screws are likely - and/or and also including right now....

ARRRRRRTRBGGGGGGGJHHHHHHHHCHH@! Damn 2nd cast on my arm. I hate myself right now. :(

Geez, Jim. Bet Mrs. Jim is feeling bad about calling you a wimp now. I know I'm sorry about the, wuss. ;) Should have called the doc. Good Lord! You were right! Hope that makes you feel better?

Elessar
07-05-2019, 10:14 AM
That sucks. I had a broken hand that was not casted correctly. The edge of it cut down damn near to the bone on
my pinky knuckle. That finger is forever bent. Only option was to re-break it, which I passed on. Screw that!

jimnyc
07-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Geez, Jim. Bet Mrs. Jim is feeling bad about calling you a wimp now. I know I'm sorry about the, wuss. ;) Should have called the doc. Good Lord! You were right! Hope that makes you feel better?

Yeah, at least everyone now knows I wasn't all exaggerating. It hurt a lot, and 50% told me it was normal, including the Doc! But it's broken and never healed/closed for whatever reason.

The other 50%, some of them did tell me to call, but I didn't as a result of the other 50, and assuming it was my low threshold for pain, of which I admit I'm a wuss about!! Wifey is MUCH tougher than me when it comes to dealing with pain and ailments. She NEVER complains, and I have complaints weekly! :)

But the pain is horrible - but wearing this thing is exhausting. So hard to shower, just wash hands, get dressed, get a coffee ... everything. Been wearing sweats for a month and slippers everywhere I go (and couldn't care less!). Can only help and/or get things done so much. Wifey VERY helpful and understanding though.

jimnyc
07-05-2019, 10:17 AM
That sucks. I had a broken hand that was not casted correctly. The edge of it cut down damn near to the bone on
my pinky knuckle. That finger is forever bent. Only option was to re-break it, which I passed on. Screw that!

The last one and now this one, dig into my thumb and would likely eat through it over time! I stuffed cotton under and around last one and taped up a little. This time, the woman gave me "mole skin" tape to wrap around it or over rough edges if it starts to irritate. Should have given me that crap last time. And yup, she says it's real and actually mole skin!

Gunny
07-05-2019, 12:05 PM

ARRRRRRTRBGGGGGGGJHHHHHHHHCHH@! Damn 2nd cast on my arm. I hate myself right now. :(You putz. Stop jacking off until it heals. Geez :rolleyes:

Seriously, my first thought was the cast was too tight to make it swell. I had one on from toe to crotch for 8 weeks. About every 10 days I would have an "accident" in which the cast would be broken to the point of replacement required just so I could wash and scratch all that wonderful-smelling, yellow skin off :) Just a thought :halo9:

jimnyc
07-05-2019, 12:22 PM
You putz. Stop jacking off until it heals. Geez :rolleyes:

Seriously, my first thought was the cast was too tight to make it swell. I had one on from toe to crotch for 8 weeks. About every 10 days I would have an "accident" in which the cast would be broken to the point of replacement required just so I could wash and scratch all that wonderful-smelling, yellow skin off :) Just a thought :halo9:

Hey, I'm a righty in more ways than one, ya dirty bastard! "That" hand is just fine. :)

I don't think too tight as I was able to move it in every direction (the cast, not arm) with a little breathing room. Plus they cut it too. All that just in case it swells and allows a little wiggle room for it to grow if need be.

This time it's MUCH tighter and gonna be hard to get itches with my various scratching tools I used or invented. The plan is just til Monday. I'd rather surgery at this point so that I don't have to do another 4-6 weeks of this crap, but that's a tad more expensive than a cast! So I guess I'll find out on Monday. And if he says surgery, schedule ASAP so that this thing won't be on me forever. But then again, what the hell would they wrap around it after surgery with screws in there?

I dunno. Gonna be gentle for sure this time, but not like I hit it with hammers last time either.

Gunny
07-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Hey, I'm a righty in more ways than one, ya dirty bastard! "That" hand is just fine. :)

I don't think too tight as I was able to move it in every direction (the cast, not arm) with a little breathing room. Plus they cut it too. All that just in case it swells and allows a little wiggle room for it to grow if need be.

This time it's MUCH tighter and gonna be hard to get itches with my various scratching tools I used or invented. The plan is just til Monday. I'd rather surgery at this point so that I don't have to do another 4-6 weeks of this crap, but that's a tad more expensive than a cast! So I guess I'll find out on Monday. And if he says surgery, schedule ASAP so that this thing won't be on me forever. But then again, what the hell would they wrap around it after surgery with screws in there?

I dunno. Gonna be gentle for sure this time, but not like I hit it with hammers last time either.Be careful with those scratching tools. A coathanger was the tool of choice back in the day. If you scratch yourself inside that cast and it gets infected and festers until you get around to noticing it's not okay you're going to be in a world of hurt.

I just sucked the itching up. And yes it's hard. Like not smoking. But I wasn't chancing tearing my skin.

I can't imagine you re-broke it and didn't know it. If my cast just accidentally hit the floor I KNEW it.

Abbey Marie
07-06-2019, 11:23 PM
Sorry, Jim. That stinks.

NT'sGirl
07-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Hope you get to feeling better soon! I am starting to feel bad since I gave you that wily pup....good news she was the calm one!

jimnyc
07-07-2019, 11:12 AM
Hmmmm.... been doing a lot of reading, and if I am right, I may be in more trouble than I thought as far as treatment is concerned. It would appear that what I have.... the broken bone was diagnosed as "Distal Radius Fracture" - and I found during my reading that what I further have now is - "Nonunion of the distal radius fracture" - which simply means that one of the most broken bones in our bodies, for whatever reason is not healing and going back together. That is the "nonunion part, and apparently for the normal bone I broke, that is pretty rare. Sometimes they call it "delayed healing".

What I found so far, in general terms of it. BUT, then read on for a few "fixes" I see for the distal radius breaks. NOT HAPPENING EVER!

Nonunion of Distal Radius Fractures. Nonunion of a distal radius fracture is extremely uncommon. Healing problems in the distal radius seem to be related to unstable situations, such as concomitant fracture of the distal radius and ulna, and to an inadequate period of immobilization.

Symptoms of a fracture that is not healing normally includes tenderness, swelling, and then aching pain that may be felt deep within the affected bone

Often, the bone isn't strong enough to bear weight, and you may not be able to use the affected body part until bone heals. Pain and weakness usually persist until the bone has healed. Sometimes this takes years, if it does in fact finally heal

Surgical management of delayed union and nonunion of distal radius fractures

Ten patients with malaligned fractures of the distal radius that demonstrated either delayed healing or the development of an atrophic or synovial nonunion on standard radiographs were treated with surgical realignment, stable internal fixation, and autogenous iliac crest bone grafting. All 10 fractures healed with acceptable radiologic alignment within 3 months of the index procedure. After an average follow-up period of 3 years 6 months (range, 2 years to 8 years 6 months) patients had an average of 105° wrist flexion and extension, 145° forearm rotation, and 73% grip strength compared with the opposite limb.

https://www.jhandsurg.org/article/S0363-5023(01)70203-1/fulltext

Non-union of distal radius fracture is uncommon. Promising results in dorsally displaced fractures of distal radius were reported with the use of volar fixed-angle fixation. We report about a 75-year-old woman with non-union of distal radius, treated successfully by using volar locking compression plate.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2210491710000503

Non-Union Of Fractured Distal Radius Treated With A Volar Locking Plate: A Case Report

Non-union following volar plate fixation for distal radius fractures is a rare complication. Diabetes and obesity are known risk factors. We have described a case of non union of a distal radius following open reduction internal fixation and uniting after revision with a combination of non-autologous and autologous bone graft. In patients with known risk factors for non union of distal radius fractures we recommend considering the use of bone graft in the primary setting.

http://ispub.com/IJOS/19/2/13979

Believe it or not - a VERY common way of fixing this issue:

External Fixation - I was kind and didn't choose one that was just put on and real. Gross! How the hell you function with that thing on?

https://i.imgur.com/j7o7tTK.jpg

Internal Plate Fixation - Not sure if the same as the Volar device, but they are listed separately.

Internal Plate Fixation

Volar Locking Plate

https://i.imgur.com/Fy7uhuv.png

Autogenous iliac crest bone grafting - You can guess, I'll save you the bloody bone photos

jimnyc
07-07-2019, 11:21 AM
*** Do NOT scroll down - NSFW - Nikoh caught a squirrel, and it's only a 10 second video - but DO NOT watch if such things offend you or you are squeamish about ***

So my wife let Nikoh out this morning and she did her usual. She very quietly goes out on the porch and ducks and surveys what squirrels and birds or other wildlife that may be in the yard. When I can I make noises or lead the way to scare them off, but not practical to be able to do that every single time. Anyway, so she did her usual, and somehow she is always able to sneak up quietly on any unsuspecting animals. She IS like a "Stealth Nikoh" in which they can't see her coming sometimes.

Well, she got a big squirrel this time when the wife was with her. She texted me for help as she wouldn't let it go. So out I went and tried to help corner her to get her or get her to drop it. Of course she ignores us and runs like the wind as usual. I sent the wife inside to get a thing of water to toss on her. I did this quick video to show you the stuff I have to do that I hate.

She basically then followed her onto the back porch, where I cornered her. She still wouldn't let go but I was able to put the leash on her. Diana came and dropped a gallon of water on her head and she finally dropped the poor thing. :(

She was so happy at first, and probably wondering why we were upset with her lovely gift to the family.

*** Last Chance!! ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Z-T49DvWM

Abbey Marie
07-07-2019, 03:31 PM
I’d imagine that squirrel wasn’t going to get any better if she dropped it. Survival of the fittest, anyway.
Have you considered a bell around Nikoh’s neck?

Kathianne
07-08-2019, 06:26 PM
What's happening now? Surgery? C'mon jimnyc I've been waiting patiently.

jimnyc
07-08-2019, 07:06 PM
What's happening now? Surgery? C'mon jimnyc I've been waiting patiently.

Still in pain and a little ticked off today. Have a migraine and I think from the pain and the frustration with everything.

The doc didn't even call, the same woman who casted my arm did. That's cool, she's a doc, but not in charge. But NOW she says "The doctor looked at the xrays, says he thinks things are ok but just needs time, and to give it another 4 weeks".

Uggghhhh.

So I ask if the extended pain, and the swelling that I had - coupled with the fact that she said there was an additional break in the wrist, and even showed it to me - I asked if I should be concerned? The swelling and pain I was told was NOT normal by them on Friday. She seemed very surprised with the additional small break, enough to have thought that I had fallen a second time, which I didn't.

So now she says the Doc said it's fine and no surgery would be necessary at this point, to let it continue healing - and that - "sometimes these things get worse before they get better".

Ok, so swelling and pain I can see. But an additional break? That's normal as part of this "getting worse before better" thing? I'm thinking perhaps it's in the first xray and that's why not as much concern by him. But I just hope he truly is going with the appropriate course of action at this point.

I know it's not been forever, but they all expected healing by now. So with surgery being optimal in the first 2 weeks, then knowing where I'm at now - assuming a longshot of non-healing in another month - will surgery THEN be the course of action? And if so, beyond the obvious which is suffering for longer, which I'm cool with if it's to successfully avoid surgery. Would it have any adverse actions considering long term dealing with it? Ya know, pain, lack of usage?

And if all remains equal, and the results would be the same no matter what, then I don't mind taking a cautious approach. But at the same time, knowing the success in the surgery, the long term success being better....

And one would think that a crappy ortho surgeon 'could' also schedule surgery, make a lot of money, when it truly wasn't needed. And I surely don't need unnecessary surgery. But if truly needed, the majority would be covered mostly anyway. So him being conservative, perhaps he knows what he's doing?

I know, I know, some will say go get a second opinion. I'm tired of it all right now. I don't feel like finding yet another place, another place taking new patients, taking my insurance - and not also demanding 4 more xrays of their own. But even if, it's all a pain just to get to that point. And then how do I know someone else knows what they're talking about, and would't give a quick approach to surgery just to draw me away to be a patient, out of need aka 'emergency' or whatever. It's a larger complex that I use, and they get quite busy, but the doc is highly rated - hence why I used him the first time around.

So now I took Naproxen and try to chill and forget about it for a few hours at least. :( It's frustrating more than anything, and the amount of things you CAN'T do with just one arm. :(

Kathianne
07-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Still in pain and a little ticked off today. Have a migraine and I think from the pain and the frustration with everything.

The doc didn't even call, the same woman who casted my arm did. That's cool, she's a doc, but not in charge. But NOW she says "The doctor looked at the xrays, says he thinks things are ok but just needs time, and to give it another 4 weeks".

Uggghhhh.

So I ask if the extended pain, and the swelling that I had - coupled with the fact that she said there was an additional break in the wrist, and even showed it to me - I asked if I should be concerned? The swelling and pain I was told was NOT normal by them on Friday. She seemed very surprised with the additional small break, enough to have thought that I had fallen a second time, which I didn't.

So now she says the Doc said it's fine and no surgery would be necessary at this point, to let it continue healing - and that - "sometimes these things get worse before they get better".

Ok, so swelling and pain I can see. But an additional break? That's normal as part of this "getting worse before better" thing? I'm thinking perhaps it's in the first xray and that's why not as much concern by him. But I just hope he truly is going with the appropriate course of action at this point.

I know it's not been forever, but they all expected healing by now. So with surgery being optimal in the first 2 weeks, then knowing where I'm at now - assuming a longshot of non-healing in another month - will surgery THEN be the course of action? And if so, beyond the obvious which is suffering for longer, which I'm cool with if it's to successfully avoid surgery. Would it have any adverse actions considering long term dealing with it? Ya know, pain, lack of usage?

And if all remains equal, and the results would be the same no matter what, then I don't mind taking a cautious approach. But at the same time, knowing the success in the surgery, the long term success being better....

And one would think that a crappy ortho surgeon 'could' also schedule surgery, make a lot of money, when it truly wasn't needed. And I surely don't need unnecessary surgery. But if truly needed, the majority would be covered mostly anyway. So him being conservative, perhaps he knows what he's doing?

I know, I know, some will say go get a second opinion. I'm tired of it all right now. I don't feel like finding yet another place, another place taking new patients, taking my insurance - and not also demanding 4 more xrays of their own. But even if, it's all a pain just to get to that point. And then how do I know someone else knows what they're talking about, and would't give a quick approach to surgery just to draw me away to be a patient, out of need aka 'emergency' or whatever. It's a larger complex that I use, and they get quite busy, but the doc is highly rated - hence why I used him the first time around.

So now I took Naproxen and try to chill and forget about it for a few hours at least. :( It's frustrating more than anything, and the amount of things you CAN'T do with just one arm. :(

I would ask them to send both sets of xrays to a new radiologist. The follow up with an orthopedist. Not a joke, broken bones do not require 10-12 weeks to 'show improvement.' Stop saying, 'it's too much, I'll just forget about it." Seriously you need to get another opinion, maybe a lawyer's.

Actually that's a good idea, have both sets of xrays sent to an attorney, bet you'll hear something pretty quick, like an offer to pay for 2 more opinions at the very least.

jimnyc
07-08-2019, 07:35 PM
I would ask them to send both sets of xrays to a new radiologist. The follow up with an orthopedist. Not a joke, broken bones do not require 10-12 weeks to 'show improvement.' Stop saying, 'it's too much, I'll just forget about it." Seriously you need to get another opinion, maybe a lawyer's.

Actually that's a good idea, have both sets of xrays sent to an attorney, bet you'll hear something pretty quick, like an offer to pay for 2 more opinions at the very least.

I'm trying to remember, I think it was only like June 3rd according to the thread I wrote here on the board, so as Friday when they looked at it was like one month and a few days? (4 weeks and 4 days) And the Doc looked at them today, July 8th (exactly 5 weeks). So 4-5 weeks, assessment made on the 8th, the 5th week on the dot.

Do you feel the same?

Kathianne
07-08-2019, 07:57 PM
I'm trying to remember, I think it was only like June 3rd according to the thread I wrote here on the board, so as Friday when they looked at it was like one month and a few days? (4 weeks and 4 days) And the Doc looked at them today, July 8th (exactly 5 weeks). So 4-5 weeks, assessment made on the 8th, the 5th week on the dot.

Do you feel the same?

I thought the permanent casts were usually for 6 weeks. If they are now telling you to wait an additional 4 weeks, that would be 10. That's what I was figuring on.

In any case, it seems perhaps inadvertently the dr. who removed the cast told you more than the other doc wanted, so I'd immediately-like tomorrow, ask for copies of the xrays to be sent to a medical related attorney and a radiologist of his/her suggestion.

The arm should not be hurting as it is. I did take your complaints to heart the first time, but like Mrs. Jim, figured your low pain threshold needed to be taken into account too. Not anymore-the arm needs to be dealt with, now.

jimnyc
07-08-2019, 09:08 PM
I thought the permanent casts were usually for 6 weeks. If they are now telling you to wait an additional 4 weeks, that would be 10. That's what I was figuring on.

In any case, it seems perhaps inadvertently the dr. who removed the cast told you more than the other doc wanted, so I'd immediately-like tomorrow, ask for copies of the xrays to be sent to a medical related attorney and a radiologist of his/her suggestion.

The arm should not be hurting as it is. I did take your complaints to heart the first time, but like Mrs. Jim, figured your low pain threshold needed to be taken into account too. Not anymore-the arm needs to be dealt with, now.

Hmmm, I wonder how willingly they'll fork over xrays and how easy it is? I know a new doc can request them, but that's kinda obvious. Why do I tell them I would like a copy? and I guess I would need to get a radiologist first to be able to bring them too. And an attorney, mention those words and that'll be the last time you may see the doc! But if I get copies somehow, then I can just use them for both purposes, no? I'm just so dang confused and unsure right now. I know if I ask my wife it's gonna be her opinion that will dictate things. She tends to be on the conservative side of these things and always thinks you should suck it up! I need to explain things very thoroughly to her and make her aware of everything and all options to help me decide what to do next.

NT'sGirl
07-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Hmmm, I wonder how willingly they'll fork over xrays and how easy it is? I know a new doc can request them, but that's kinda obvious. Why do I tell them I would like a copy? and I guess I would need to get a radiologist first to be able to bring them too. And an attorney, mention those words and that'll be the last time you may see the doc! But if I get copies somehow, then I can just use them for both purposes, no? I'm just so dang confused and unsure right now. I know if I ask my wife it's gonna be her opinion that will dictate things. She tends to be on the conservative side of these things and always thinks you should suck it up! I need to explain things very thoroughly to her and make her aware of everything and all options to help me decide what to do next.

I have never had a problem getting a copy of my medical records they are in fact your records and what you choose to do with them is really up to you. Ask them for a formatted disk of the x rays and findings. You want a copy of the current plan of treatment as well as initial findings. You will need to at some point have a different doctor evaluate it, but having a hard copy can prevent them from leaving out information, as well as you can check to make sure they gave you all your records.

Kathianne
07-08-2019, 10:56 PM

They are your xrays-they must provide them to you or anyone you choose to send them to. You will have to pay some fee, but it's negligible. You do not have to give them a reason, obviously when you request they be sent to an attorney's office, they may make some assumptions-hopefully for your good.

I think your wife wants your arm to heal the best way possible. You want good doctoring, not good lawyering. ;) However, it looks like to get the first, you need the second or at least the threat of it.

What you do not want to do is sit there sniveling over your aching arm, especially if time may be making it worse.

Kathianne
07-08-2019, 11:02 PM
They are your xrays-they must provide them to you or anyone you choose to send them to. You will have to pay some fee, but it's negligible. You do not have to give them a reason, obviously when you request they be sent to an attorney's office, they may make some assumptions-hopefully for your good.

I think your wife wants your arm to heal the best way possible. You want good doctoring, not good lawyering. ;) However, it looks like to get the first, you need the second or at least the threat of it.

What you do not want to do is sit there sniveling over your aching arm, especially if time may be making it worse.

Here's what I think may happen: You make the request. Doctor is going to call apologizing for not speaking with you today. Hopefully offer an immediate appointment. Take it and listen, take Diane with you! Seriously. I think you are beyond listening and comprehending and you hurt and are scared. She won't be. Hells bells, if I wasn't on the other end o the country, I'd go with you!

Bottom line, you don't want to sue, you want to know what the heck is going on and how to fix it. You do NOT want to be under pain meds, you want a freaking cast or surgery or whatever is necessary to get this done, ASAP. Straight information and action. If they are not the best doctors, get one that is-ask for a referral if they think that is the way to go. I don't believe in suing, but the threat of lawyers can be the cheapest and most effective way to go.

Abbey Marie
07-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Jim, I had a really bad spiral break on my upper arm. I was given a choice of cast or surgery the next morning. Ortho told me if I chose the cast, I had to be very careful not to move it too much or in any odd way. I thought that sounded precarious so I chose surgery. Some pain for about a week afterwards, but it was manageable with Advil after the first day or so.
Just telling you this because you may be better off having surgery at this point.

Kathianne
07-09-2019, 04:14 PM
jimnyc let us know what today brought! Lots of us worried ladies here! :coffee:

jimnyc
07-10-2019, 10:37 AM
What a pain in the ass this all is so far.

I called and called yesterday and everyone was wanting appointments weeks down the road or not taking new patients. I finally found someone and have a 1:30appt today. I hope I can find something out at the very minimum.

I called my doctors office to ask for all of my records, and they don't make it easy. So I'm at their mercy as to when I can get them more or less.

But this place today has their own stuff and they'll do a new xray and I guess take it from there.

I called the Doc today about the records and then went and took a shower. When I was out they had called me back, but naturally his assistant. It's nearly impossible to see the one who is supposed to be the expert and the one that charges the high fees.

So I expect them to be "distant" should I end up staying where I'm at. I complained about the pain again yesterday and his assistant called me back and said "the doc said it shouldn't hurt any more and to see a pain management specialist if the pain persists. Huh? I'm not paying to see doctors all over the world. I'll just deal with the pain. And I don't want anyone to think I'm doctor shopping in any way, so I wouldn't even dream of asking this guy today, and would have to even turn it down if he asks. Not a good thing to have on your record!

Hopefully this guy today will make me feel better about things and maybe I just continue with him if I like him. Time will tell. Slept like crap last night tossing and turning. Arm hurts when I hit it of course, and it's just a plain old pain in the ass to sleep with. :rolleyes:

Kathianne
07-10-2019, 11:06 AM
What a pain in the ass this all is so far.

I called and called yesterday and everyone was wanting appointments weeks down the road or not taking new patients. I finally found someone and have a 1:30appt today. I hope I can find something out at the very minimum.

I called my doctors office to ask for all of my records, and they don't make it easy. So I'm at their mercy as to when I can get them more or less.

But this place today has their own stuff and they'll do a new xray and I guess take it from there.

I called the Doc today about the records and then went and took a shower. When I was out they had called me back, but naturally his assistant. It's nearly impossible to see the one who is supposed to be the expert and the one that charges the high fees.

So I expect them to be "distant" should I end up staying where I'm at. I complained about the pain again yesterday and his assistant called me back and said "the doc said it shouldn't hurt any more and to see a pain management specialist if the pain persists. Huh? I'm not paying to see doctors all over the world. I'll just deal with the pain. And I don't want anyone to think I'm doctor shopping in any way, so I wouldn't even dream of asking this guy today, and would have to even turn it down if he asks. Not a good thing to have on your record!

Hopefully this guy today will make me feel better about things and maybe I just continue with him if I like him. Time will tell. Slept like crap last night tossing and turning. Arm hurts when I hit it of course, and it's just a plain old pain in the ass to sleep with. :rolleyes:

Your current doctor sounds like an ass. As someone said before, you really need the two sets of xrays, on a disc. It doesn't take long to get them and you can pick them up at their office. You have a RIGHT to them, they are yours and you/insurance paid for them. Yes, a fee for the disc, but no screwing around.

You are NOT looking for pain meds, you want an explanation of WHY YOU'RE IN PAIN, when you shouldn't be. Don't go all defensive. YOU are the one who needs to be dealt with, not them.

Man up, you got this!

Let us know what the new doc says, but I'm betting (s)he really would like the two sets of xrays, over and above what they take today.

jimnyc
07-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Your current doctor sounds like an ass. As someone said before, you really need the two sets of xrays, on a disc. It doesn't take long to get them and you can pick them up at their office. You have a RIGHT to them, they are yours and you/insurance paid for them. Yes, a fee for the disc, but no screwing around.

You are NOT looking for pain meds, you want an explanation of WHY YOU'RE IN PAIN, when you shouldn't be. Don't go all defensive. YOU are the one who needs to be dealt with, not them.

Man up, you got this!

Let us know what the new doc says, but I'm betting (s)he really would like the two sets of xrays, over and above what they take today.

I faxed in the forms to get all my records and now I have to call tomorrow morning to see if I can expedite and come pick them up instead. In the meantime, this doc will take new xrays today and at least tell me what he sees. And he can maybe explain this 2nd break and the whole it "sometimes gets worse before getting better thing". If he agrees across the board, so be it. But at least I can explain things to HIM and maybe get some better answers too. Then decide how to go forward.

My doc also said "the days of individualized care are gone, and now you see assistants and others and don't always see the doctor. Depends on his patient list and what takes priority at that moment. WTF? If I'm seeing a 'high priced doc" - I expect to SEE him at least.

Maybe today will be successful in at least finding out more about where I stand and what he feels I should do going forward.

Kathianne
07-10-2019, 11:54 AM
I faxed in the forms to get all my records and now I have to call tomorrow morning to see if I can expedite and come pick them up instead. In the meantime, this doc will take new xrays today and at least tell me what he sees. And he can maybe explain this 2nd break and the whole it "sometimes gets worse before getting better thing". If he agrees across the board, so be it. But at least I can explain things to HIM and maybe get some better answers too. Then decide how to go forward.

My doc also said "the days of individualized care are gone, and now you see assistants and others and don't always see the doctor. Depends on his patient list and what takes priority at that moment. WTF? If I'm seeing a 'high priced doc" - I expect to SEE him at least.

Maybe today will be successful in at least finding out more about where I stand and what he feels I should do going forward.

Hoping all goes smoothly today. Do ask him if you should drop the disc off once you've got it, hopefully tomorrow. Let us know, I'm praying for you!

Abbey Marie
07-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Jim, can’t you get the xrays directly from the radiology place that took them? That’s how I got my C-scan. I did not have to deal with my doc. As Kath said, they will give you them for a small or zero fee.

jimnyc
07-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Just got back from new doc, and am I glad I went to them. He specializes in this issue and I was lucky enough to get in today. It's a much nicer facility - and the Doctor actually sat with me for awhile, explained things to me and answered all the questions I had.

The good news is that they took the cast off and left it off, and let me leave with a small brace on my arm.

The bad news is that is until Monday when I go in for surgery. :(

He asked me if anyone showed me the xrays, of which they did, but not every last one. He showed me the one of my arm sideways, where they showed me my arm flat on the table.

Well, in the sideways shot, you can easily see that the radius bone and the bones in the hand above were not lined up. He used some tools and put a pointer on the bottom left of my wrist and then to the upper right above the injury. He said if correct, this should read 100, meaning it's fully aligned. Mine read .72, meaning it's a good amount off where it needs to be. It needs to now be reset back to that position, and then a small plate and a couple of screws to hold it in place.

He confirmed - he stated I can start PT in 2 weeks after surgery as it heals much faster, and that in the long term there is less chance of ongoing issues. He said if I was 75 and up, maybe no surgery, but at my age, if I want my range of motion back, and pain free as possible, the surgery should get done.

He needed not tell me anymore once proof of it being out of alignment. Do the damn thing and get it over with, and then 6 months to a year getting her back into shape. Better than what the alternative may have been if I left it off like that.

Kathianne
07-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Just got back from new doc, and am I glad I went to them. He specializes in this issue and I was lucky enough to get in today. It's a much nicer facility - and the Doctor actually sat with me for awhile, explained things to me and answered all the questions I had.

The good news is that they took the cast off and left it off, and let me leave with a small brace on my arm.

He asked me if anyone showed me the xrays, of which they did, but not every last one. He showed me the one of my arm sideways, where they showed me my arm flat on the table.

Well, in the sideways shot, you can easily see that the radius bone and the bones in the hand above were not lined up. He used some tools and put a pointer on the bottom left of my wrist and then to the upper right above the injury. He said if correct, this should read 100, meaning it's fully aligned. Mine read .72, meaning it's a good amount off where it needs to be. It needs to now be reset back to that position, and then a small plate and a couple of screws to hold it in place.

He confirmed - he stated I can start PT in 2 weeks after surgery as it heals much faster, and that in the long term there is less chance of ongoing issues. He said if I was 75 and up, maybe no surgery, but at my age, if I want my range of motion back, and pain free as possible, the surgery should get done.

He needed not tell me anymore once proof of it being out of alignment. Do the damn thing and get it over with, and then 6 months to a year getting her back into shape. Better than what the alternative may have been if I left it off like that.

Good that it gets fixed, correctly. Why wasn't it in the first place? Seems like if it was cause of the way it was done, the right way should be paid for by the other doc's insurance?

Abbey Marie
07-10-2019, 07:23 PM
You must be so relieved! Good news, it seems.

:beer:

jimnyc
07-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Good that it gets fixed, correctly. Why wasn't it in the first place? Seems like if it was cause of the way it was done, the right way should be paid for by the other doc's insurance?

It would be SO SO difficult to go that route. Appears he wanted the conservative route. While I think they missed the part that needs to be put back in place, they would deny it somehow. :(

You must be so relieved! Good news, it seems.

:beer:

Yes and no. Now I am suddenly scared of going under. Wasn't always like that but I am scared this time for some reason. I think it's the concern of the future and extended pain. And not waking up of course. That would suck a little!

Gunny
07-11-2019, 09:48 AM

I've heard a time or two the story "it didn't heal right. We're going to have to re-break it and start over". And I have always thought that has got to be one of the worst trips to the doc there can be. Voluntarily walk right in, lay your arm on the table so they can break it all over.

When I was younger I'd blow it off in a second. Now, I just feel like a condemned man making myself put one foot in front of the other until I get to where I'm supposed to be :)

At least you got a good doc.

Abbey Marie
07-11-2019, 11:38 AM
It would be SO SO difficult to go that route. Appears he wanted the conservative route. While I think they missed the part that needs to be put back in place, they would deny it somehow. :(

Yes and no. Now I am suddenly scared of going under. Wasn't always like that but I am scared this time for some reason. I think it's the concern of the future and extended pain. And not waking up of course. That would suck a little!

It’s the same for me, and I believe comes with age. We feel invincible when we’re young.

jimnyc
07-11-2019, 12:05 PM
I've heard a time or two the story "it didn't heal right. We're going to have to re-break it and start over". And I have always thought that has got to be one of the worst trips to the doc there can be. Voluntarily walk right in, lay your arm on the table so they can break it all over.

When I was younger I'd blow it off in a second. Now, I just feel like a condemned man making myself put one foot in front of the other until I get to where I'm supposed to be :)

At least you got a good doc.

When he said that needed to be done, I literally stood up in shock and asked him if he meant right now. My ass was running away if that was his plan! But he said I'll get a needle that will numb my arm for about 20 hours, and then knocked out on top of that as well. I just hope I don't wake up in hell with the pain, but I'd rather have a little now and not for the rest of my life.

It’s the same for me, and I believe comes with age. We feel invincible when we’re young.

Yup, I'm not invincible anymore! I used to be literally fearless of anything and everything. :(

jimnyc
07-11-2019, 12:06 PM
Oh, and I may be posting less for now. Same as after the first cast removal - not sure why but the instant they remove it the pain comes rushing back. So now I'm trying to be a good boy until Monday, and I think I just get another splint on there after the surgery.

Gunny
07-11-2019, 12:07 PM
It’s the same for me, and I believe comes with age. We feel invincible when we’re young.Given my reaction to "going under" the one and only time I have, everybody else is who needs to be scared :laugh:

They would just have to do it with a local. I'd rather suck up the re-breaking and setting than be put under again. I can control how much I am whining while conscious :) SHit that makes me slam doctors into the wall not so much.

Abbey Marie
07-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Given my reaction to "going under" the one and only time I have, everybody else is who needs to be scared :laugh:

They would just have to do it with a local. I'd rather suck up the re-breaking and setting than be put under again. I can control how much I am whining while conscious :) SHit that makes me slam doctors into the wall not so much.

Oh Lordy. I would think very long about doing this under local. If the doc would even consent to do it that way!

Abbey Marie
07-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Also, tell the Anaesthetist about your reactions. I’ll bet he or she can ease the situation.

Kathianne
07-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Oh, and I may be posting less for now. Same as after the first cast removal - not sure why but the instant they remove it the pain comes rushing back. So now I'm trying to be a good boy until Monday, and I think I just get another splint on there after the surgery.

I am sorry you are going through all this. :cry:

As for the 'shared stories,' I'll just say that nearly everyone comes through surgery fine. When pregnant run away from those that wish to share their 'I almost died' stories, you can hear those later. Pick the best doc you can, go with your choice. Focus on getting pain free and rehabbed! Prayers for you.

Gunny
07-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Oh Lordy. I would think very long about doing this under local. If the doc would even consent to do it that way!

Also, tell the Anaesthetist about your reactions. I’ll bet he or she can ease the situation.I have an extremely high tolerance to pain. I've had a broken bone set without anesthesia. Couple of times.

Had anesthesia once, when I was hospitalized. I guess that was not an option since I was on life support but somebody forgot to send me the memo. They also were gaming their dope a little on the low side. Imagine waking up with a tube down your throat trying to breathe and not having a clue where you are or why. I sat up, yanked out the tube and slammed the doctor and orderly against the wall, all while I couldn't move from the waist down. THIS incident is what actually caused the stroke. I was without oxygen for over 2 minutes because I yanked out the tube. Which is also what saved the doctor because I passed out. Actually, I dropped dead, but the result the same :)

I still have issues from the incident, mostly memory-related, but when I first got out? I was a fruit loop for a year. And it DID take that long for me to realize what had actually happened to me. I didn't even know I was the one that yanked the tube out.

The upside of it is I used to have horrible PTSD. Haven't had an issue with it since. I wouldn't recommend that as a cure for it though :)

jimnyc
07-15-2019, 05:05 AM
Shoot, was allowed black coffee with sugar this morn but only to 3 hours before, and my alarm went off at 3:30 am and I was back asleep by 3:31. :(

Have to be at surgery place for 7:45 this morning. Wish me some good luck and prayers please! Got sick to my stomach 2x last night because of lack of eating and stress. Just can't wait to wake up from this and it's over, I can deal with the rest.

Kathianne
07-15-2019, 05:21 AM
Shoot, was allowed black coffee with sugar this morn but only to 3 hours before, and my alarm went off at 3:30 am and I was back asleep by 3:31. :(

Have to be at surgery place for 7:45 this morning. Wish me some good luck and prayers please! Got sick to my stomach 2x last night because of lack of eating and stress. Just can't wait to wake up from this and it's over, I can deal with the rest.

You got the prayers and good thoughts! Get better quick!

Gunny
07-15-2019, 07:26 AM

Have to be at surgery place for 7:45 this morning. Wish me some good luck and prayers please! Got sick to my stomach 2x last night because of lack of eating and stress. Just can't wait to wake up from this and it's over, I can deal with the rest.Just take it as it rolls, jimbob. You'll be alright. The REAL screwjob comes when you have to sit around doing nothing while you recover, and you don't have a choice.

We'll be here. You can't get rid of us that easy :)

Abbey Marie
07-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Prayers of course!
I’m hoping you’re already out of surgery and giving them hell!

jimnyc
07-15-2019, 12:48 PM
home now, all good, cant feel arm from pain nerve block. I made it though!!!!! thx all

Kathianne
07-15-2019, 12:50 PM
home now, all good, cant feel arm from pain nerve block. I made it though!!!!! thx all
Excellent! Take care and hopefully get some sleep!

Abbey Marie
07-15-2019, 02:26 PM

:dance:

jimnyc
07-17-2019, 07:27 AM
I am here and alive. The pain is still atrocious I'm trying not to move it and just taking my advil and tylenol. I have to talk to my phone and email it to myself and then copy and pasted into here. If you sent me APM please give me time to reply

High_Plains_Drifter
07-17-2019, 07:45 AM
I am here and alive. The pain is still atrocious I'm trying not to move it and just taking my advil and tylenol. I have to talk to my phone and email it to myself and then copy and pasted into here. If you sent me APM please give me time to reply
Holy cow... this arm deal has just turned into a horror story. What a shitty deal. You need some oxy.

Kathianne
07-17-2019, 08:04 AM
You're one day closer to being healed. Take care.

Abbey Marie
07-17-2019, 09:12 AM

The worst should be almost over. Hang in there!

jimnyc
07-17-2019, 07:10 PM
Before surgery tucking hair into blue head thingy to look sexy!

https://i.imgur.com/yFVsi8xl.jpg

30 mins later, now on nerve blocker and some fine fentanyl from my bartender :)

https://i.imgur.com/rj3m5KUl.jpg

45 mins after surgery, all loopy, numb and high as mt. mckinley!

https://i.imgur.com/aTa9ADul.jpg

jimnyc
07-17-2019, 07:13 PM
Also, tell the Anaesthetist about your reactions. I’ll bet he or she can ease the situation.

I was up almost all night to night before with anxiety and that's why he alternately gave me the fentanyl and the other one to calm me down

Russ
07-17-2019, 07:28 PM
Dam, Jim, you must have gone through an incredibly lengthy dose of pain since the break and that first cast! Sorry! At least the upcoming lack of pain is going to feel great. Relish it as long as possible.