PDA

View Full Version : Millenials

KarlMarx
07-21-2019, 10:12 AM
The other day, I saw a screed by a millennial about what he saw as the short comings of Baby Boomers. Among them, our choice of foods (toast, jello, meat loaf, and soda), our use if paper napkins.... well, you get the point

My response

1. Grow up. The world is not an episode of Barney, you don’t always get what you want and the world doesn’t owe you a thing

2. Manners. There are several words that you should learn that will help you get along with people. They are “please”, “thank you”, and “I am sorry”.

3. It’s not all about you and you self esteem. Others have feelings too. Learn the Golden Rule and you will find your overall mental health improving.

4. Your iphone, Facebook, and texting. Yes, they are all useful to have. But when you fritter your life away on Facebook, text while you drive and cross the street, you have a serious problem. You are endangering the lives of others and yourself... refer to point #1

5. Read a book. Learn about something, that is part what makes life rewarding. You can’t do that on Facebook

6. Your politics and a free lunch. First there is no such thing as free, everything has a price. That includes green new deals. Part if the price you pay for free elections is sometimes your guy loses, learn to deal with disappointment and failure instead of finding a scapegoat.... refer to point #1

7. Your music.... some of it is absolute crap. Anything that advocates violence, drugs, and misogyny is not worth listening to. Consider another genre of music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High_Plains_Drifter
07-21-2019, 10:36 AM
The other day, I saw a screed by a millennial about what he saw as the short comings of Baby Boomers. Among them, our choice of foods (toast, jello, meat loaf, and soda), our use if paper napkins.... well, you get the point

My response

1. Grow up. The world is not an episode of Barney, you don’t always get what you want and the world doesn’t owe you a thing

2. Manners. There are several words that you should learn that will help you get along with people. They are “please”, “thank you”, and “I am sorry”.

3. It’s not all about you and you self esteem. Others have feelings too. Learn the Golden Rule and you will find your overall mental health improving.

4. Your iphone, Facebook, and texting. Yes, they are all useful to have. But when you fritter your life away on Facebook, text while you drive and cross the street, you have a serious problem. You are endangering the lives of others and yourself... refer to point #1

5. Read a book. Learn about something, that is part what makes life rewarding. You can’t do that on Facebook

6. Your politics and a free lunch. First there is no such thing as free, everything has a price. That includes green new deals. Part if the price you pay for free elections is sometimes your guy loses, learn to deal with disappointment and failure instead of finding a scapegoat.... refer to point #1

7. Your music.... some of it is absolute crap. Anything that advocates violence, drugs, and misogyny is not worth listening to. Consider another genre of music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All great points, brother.

But I have to respond to #4... the other day I was going uptown to the gas station and saw this young girl on a bike heading down the side road I was going to turn on. She was probably 12 or 13. The thought had already occurred to me so I was ready, but she was riding along on the left side of the street, staring contently at her PHONE and then TURNED RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME WITHOUT so much as a GLANCE to see if anything was COMING. A SLAMMED on my brakes and came to an abrupt halt just a couple FEET from her. She just looked at me like I was from MARS and kept right on going across the street as though it was NO BIG DEAL. NO shock, no SORRY, no THANK YOU for NOT RUNNING HER ASS OVER, no anything. I was tempted to roll down the window and bitch her out but, what good would do? These little MORONS and their PHONES. I was also VERY tempted to take the VIDEO of the incident down to the cop shop and show it to them, which brings me to the point of being VERY glad I have a DASH CAM. Had I FLATTENED her, I'd have had VIDEO PROOF that she never even looked.

jimnyc
07-21-2019, 10:50 AM

Excellent, sir! Love it!

#2 - Puuuuuuuuhhhlease! It hasn't changed in like forever, so I don't see this changing anytime soon. I believe "personal responsibility" falls slightly in there while in addition to definitely being in #6. "I am sorry" and add in "I was or am wrong" - also not part of the vocabulary. I myself, having been wrong before, have apologized even here before, have stated that I was wrong before. Seen any of the liberals that have ever been here do so? I'd name names, but no reason not to use a brush here. Scabby, Pete, psycho.... of course more... Never have I seen any of them admit when they were wrong, even when proven wrong via facts against their opinions posted (pete may have once..). Never once seen them say they were sorry after being nasty with people and having fights, I guess they were ALWAYS right. It's just things not there.

I wonder if/when liberals hang together, just them, do they have that stuff in their vocabulary then? Is it purposely excluded later, or not in them? I think a bit of both.

#6. Personal responsibility again. Easy to spend on absolute crap, and make everything free - when debt and responsibility for certain and such things is something you couldn't care less about, or don't know about at all. And then when you are like that, you expect a free lunch with it.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2019, 01:06 PM
I've wondered for a while, why do you think Millenials and Boomers are so at odds?

I suspect the Boomers started it. I know I am perplexed by a lot of their behavior, politics, and especially fashion choices.

"Hey I know; I'll shave the sides of my head, but leave it long on top!"

"Hey, I know, I'll tattoo most of my back, and then wear an elegant backless lacy wedding gown."

"I'm not going to go on actual "dates". or ask a girl out, or admit to being in a relationship. I will actually do all of those things, but I will just call it 'making a connection', or 'vibe-ing'.

:laugh:

Gunny
07-21-2019, 01:35 PM
I've wondered for a while, why do you think Millenials and Boomers are so at odds?

I suspect the Boomers started it. I know I am perplexed by a lot of their behavior, politics, and especially fashion choices.

"Hey I know; I'll shave the sides of my head, but leave it long on top!"

"Hey, I know, I'll tattoo most of my back, and then wear an elegant backless lacy wedding gown."

"I'm not going to go on actual "dates". or ask a girl out, or admit to being in a relationship. I will actually do all of those things, but I will just call it 'making a connection', or 'vibe-ing'.

Because when they got to the rebelling against the previous generation part, they left the common sense part out as well. Choose something yo just used as an example that makes sense.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Millennials also are hating on vinyl siding.

:coffee:

Gunny
07-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Millennials also are hating on vinyl siding.

:coffee:Don't like the color?:confused:

Abbey Marie
07-21-2019, 05:31 PM
Don't like the color?:confused:

I don’t actually know, but I’d guess it’s more the fake material?

Gunny
07-21-2019, 05:43 PM
I don’t actually know, but I’d guess it’s more the fake material?I know if you build a fire too close to it that it will melt :halounplugged:

I've only been around vinyl siding once in my life. *That* was what I learned :)

Kathianne
07-21-2019, 05:50 PM
I love many of the millennials. Seems many people over 50 suddenly despair of the generations after them. I'm glad my parents could separate out the few anarchists in the Baby Boom, from the many more of us that wanted a better country.

I think there is a theme from the preamble about this...

Gunny
07-21-2019, 06:06 PM
I love many of the millennials. Seems many people over 50 suddenly despair of the generations after them. I'm glad my parents could separate out the few anarchists in the Baby Boom, from the many more of us that wanted a better country.

I think there is a theme from the preamble about this...I like them when I need some tragic/sarcastic comedy because they are a hoot. If they just weren't real and allowed to vote ...

Kathianne
07-21-2019, 06:08 PM
I like them when I need some tragic/sarcastic comedy because they are a hoot. If they just weren't real and allowed to vote ...

You're a curmudgeon, probably ingrained now. :laugh2:

High_Plains_Drifter
07-21-2019, 07:02 PM

"Hooking up"... or "hangin' out."

I think millennials have been coddled, not to mention the low testosterone. Seems to me that when I increasingly hear young males talking on TV now, they set off my "gaydar." They may not be gay, but they sure sound like it.

Kathianne
07-21-2019, 07:06 PM
Sure seems to me that many here haven't many dealings with the generation they are having so much fun with. Sort of like saying all conservatives are child molesters because of the ministers and their wives having sex with underage children. Or that they all would blow up abortion clinics. Or that they all would shoot at law enforcement because of some 'survivalists.'

How often both sides try to paint each others by those worst behaved. How often now are some doing that here regarding younger generations?

Gunny
07-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Sure seems to me that many here haven't many dealings with the generation they are having so much fun with. Sort of like saying all conservatives are child molesters because of the ministers and their wives having sex with underage children. Or that they all would blow up abortion clinics. Or that they all would shoot at law enforcement because of some 'survivalists.'

How often both sides try to paint each others by those worst behaved. How often now are some doing that here regarding younger generations?Pick an age. I got one. Which means their friends and cousins too. :(

Kathianne
07-21-2019, 07:35 PM
Pick an age. I got one. Which means their friends and cousins too. :(

Can't go from your son-in-law or what have you! :slap: :laugh:

Go look at Trump's media gathering last week of conservative 'new media.' Nearly all were millenials. My kids and their spouses all fit into the age cohort, all are gainfully employed, contribute to the economy, are raising their children. Their friends run the gamut from very right to very left, not a whole lot different that most of my friends at the same ages, some even now. Much like my experience, all of them seem to moving towards 'more conservative' the older and more successful they get-the more responsibilities they have. Funny how that works.

My son is on the board of both his synagogue and his school district. My daughter is president of the PTA at the school her daughter attends.

Their friends are involved in the military, law, medicine, entrepreneurs, even politics.

Now those are some kids I know personally, again anecdotal. Abbey has a daughter that is in that age or just a bit younger. I'm guessing her and her friends are employed in the main.

Why it seems a good idea to condemn a generation on the basis of worst behaved, I'll never get the logic.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2019, 07:45 PM

How often both sides try to paint each others by those worst behaved. How often now are some doing that here regarding younger generations?

Not true. Our daughter is one, and her friends with whom we vacation and do lots of activities with are also.

In any event, what we are all commenting on is easily seen in the culture at large. Doesn’t apply to every one of them, of course.

Gunny
07-21-2019, 07:46 PM
Can't go from your son-in-law or what have you! :slap: :laugh:

Go look at Trump's media gathering last week of conservative 'new media.' Nearly all were millenials. My kids and their spouses all fit into the age cohort, all are gainfully employed, contribute to the economy, are raising their children. Their friends run the gamut from very right to very left, not a whole lot different that most of my friends at the same ages, some even now. Much like my experience, all of them seem to moving towards 'more conservative' the older and more successful they get-the more responsibilities they have. Funny how that works.

My son is on the board of both his synagogue and his school district. My daughter is president of the PTA at the school her daughter attends.

Their friends are involved in the military, law, medicine, entrepreneurs, even politics.

Now those are some kids I know personally, again anecdotal. Abbey has a daughter that is in that age or just a bit younger. I'm guessing her and her friends are employed in the main.

Why it seems a good idea to condemn a generation on the basis of worst behaved, I'll never get the logic.*shrug* my oldest daughter is an Army vet and a school teach working on a Masters in Child Psychology (which will mean she really won't know anything about kids); youngest daughter as fruity left as you see on TV. Almost all of my Marines were millenials and I had very few bad ones.

The first thing I see and have thought since first time I heard it is the dates given for millenials. They go all the way back to my daughter and I see that as a completely seperate group from these cherry fruitloops all over my tube. If the former are letting the latter speak for them we don't have to look far to see who they learned it from.

Kathianne
07-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Not true. Our daughter is one, and her friends with whom we vacation and do lots of activities with also.

In any event, what we are all commenting on is easily seen in the culture at large. Doesn’t apply to every one of them, of course.

Abbey, all I'm saying is that your child, her friends, my children, their friends may well be the rule, not the exceptions.

That was my point.

Kathianne
07-21-2019, 07:53 PM
*shrug* my oldest daughter is an Army vet and a school teach working on a Masters in Child Psychology (which will mean she really won't know anything about kids); youngest daughter as fruity left as you see on TV. Almost all of my Marines were millenials and I had very few bad ones.

The first thing I see and have thought since first time I heard it is the dates given for millenials. They go all the way back to my daughter and I see that as a completely seperate group from these cherry fruitloops all over my tube. If the former are letting the latter speak for them we don't have to look far to see who they learned it from.

It's been ever thus. Heck of a difference between a 'baby boomer' born in '46 and one in '56 or one in '65. All are 'baby boom.' The one in '46 likely ended up with a draft number or was at Woodstock, or both. The one in '56 too young for Nam, but unlikely to be in the peace movement, again 'too young.' Don't even get us started how someone born in '65 has anything to do with the others. ;)

I see zero going on regarding work ethic and the millennials. They 'as a group' have a lot of college debt if they went. It changes how they perceive the way things should 'be,' which is not perhaps the same as us.

I wouldn't give up on the group though. Don't have to agree with all, but then again, I don't agree with all in my age cohort or even did with my folks of the 'greatest generation.'

Abbey Marie
07-21-2019, 07:55 PM
Abbey, all I'm saying is that your child, her friends, my children, their friends may well be the rule, not the exceptions.

That was my point.

Could be, but these guys I know are just as goofy about dating (and siding, lol).
Yours being married are thankfully past that stage. For many reasons (you know how I feel!).

Kathianne
07-21-2019, 08:18 PM
Could be, but these guys I know are just as goofy about dating (and siding, lol).
Yours being married are thankfully past that stage. For many reasons (you know how I feel!).

I do think the cost of college is making most of those 'we know,' are causing them to marry later and same with kids. I think they are more practical and worried about their futures. My youngest as you know, just had his first child. His wife is lovely, liberal but I love her. The son, has been liberal in talk, but not so much in how he's always dealt with money. LOL! He's the one that graduated with less than $2k in debt-and in 4 years.

They've lived in the city since being together-though both raised in the burbs. There rent was over $2500 a month. His wife wants to buy in the city. They've yet to find a house that is in safe area and the work it would need within my son's skill set for under $1.5M. They make very good money, but not that good. Not when her school loans are over $250k. She works for a non-profit, domestic violence attorney. He keeps telling her, '1. We can live with your folks and save a down payment in a year to a year and a half for the mortgage payments we can afford. 2. You can use your Notre Dame law degree for a job that pays more. Volunteer at the non-profit 3. We can buy now, in the suburbs.' Right now they are living with her folks, since 6/1. So far, so good.

Not great choices, but practical. It's their time in their 30's. It's very different than their parents-I didn't have school loans, neither did the ex. Married at 25, Kendall at 26. Bought 1st house at 26. All 3 born by 30.

If the kids are going into trades, my guess is they are all set by 30, just as we were. The ones in trouble are those that chose to go to university, especially advanced degrees.