PDA

View Full Version : Porch done, feedback?

jimnyc
07-25-2019, 08:24 AM
The porch, stones and gravel are done, 2 days! I know it's just a small porch, as it's the backyard, but heaven for me!!

All that is left is for the Iron Works company in 2 weeks to come out and put in a sweet new railing. And before you complain about the green on the house - next job is a full house painting!!

Not cheap at all, but you get what you pay for!!

Hard to tell here, but coming into the yard was roots and dirt until you reach to the backyard point, then grass. I had this completely covered in rock, with 2" bluestone as the path. I purposely had them make it mis-aligned, partly because of the roots, and partly because I think it looks better that way. And yup, that's Porter peein in the background. He takes an hour as he HAS to pee on everything in sight, including the new stone the very instant he smelled it the first time. Just the middle here:

https://i.imgur.com/xpkWSt1l.jpg

Angle on top of the porch toward gate. For hell of it, had him put 2 in outside of gate as well for our 2 garbage cans.

https://i.imgur.com/bqfhJuRl.jpg

Directly facing the porch:

https://i.imgur.com/3JPMJ3tl.jpg

Side facing porch:

https://i.imgur.com/WG12c1gl.jpg

The top, with my Weber in the background - Wifey wants new one there too!

https://i.imgur.com/hmwFd9jl.jpg

High_Plains_Drifter
07-25-2019, 08:25 AM
Hell man, that looks awesome!

Elessar
07-25-2019, 08:41 AM
That looks great!

I just got done replacing my front porch and steps due to rain damage and rot.

I was going to jack out the old lumber with a floor jack but decided it was better to cut them
out and use a wrecking bar to get the nails out.

Step-dad had made the mistake of painting redwood on a surface that would have foot traffic.
Paint cracked and moisture got under it and caused it to rot.

I replaced it with pressure-treated lumber, and treated all the cuts I had to make
with copper napthenate. I used deck screws instead of nails in case a piece needs replacing.
Got some fine tuning to do, but this will outlive me.

High_Plains_Drifter
07-25-2019, 09:40 AM
I have begun the process of replacing my back steps on the side of the shop. Already pulled out 5 old rotten RR ties, but will have to dig out the last one. Then do some measuring and starting building forms for the cement. Maybe I can finish them in just a couple days. Depends on how hot it gets.

Kathianne
07-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Really nice! Gotta get you a nice chair for grill watching!

jimnyc
07-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Really nice! Gotta get you a nice chair for grill watching!

We have a half basketball court in the yard, sort of, made out of black crappy pavement. And the backboard and hoop still work perfectly. I think - as I haven't touched in 10 years. I want that down.... and him to come back, redo the base in a much more square area, with great stone blocks like the top of the porch instead of pavement. Then with a small raised fire pit in the middle of it. And 2 retaining walls facing the yard, in case it rains and rises in the slightest, it will push it further towards the french drains we installed, and keep it drier in there.

Also, this way when we sell, and they ask about the advanced water and pumping system, I tell them that long ago we used to get a water piling up in yard and a little in basement. But we really wanted to build out the yard to fully enjoy it, and protect the pit in this manner. Maybe make them think a little less about any "flooding".

Gunny
07-25-2019, 11:12 AM
The porch, stones and gravel are done, 2 days! I know it's just a small porch, as it's the backyard, but heaven for me!!

All that is left is for the Iron Works company in 2 weeks to come out and put in a sweet new railing. And before you complain about the green on the house - next job is a full house painting!!

Not cheap at all, but you get what you pay for!!

Hard to tell here, but coming into the yard was roots and dirt until you reach to the backyard point, then grass. I had this completely covered in rock, with 2" bluestone as the path. I purposely had them make it mis-aligned, partly because of the roots, and partly because I think it looks better that way. And yup, that's Porter peein in the background. He takes an hour as he HAS to pee on everything in sight, including the new stone the very instant he smelled it the first time. Just the middle here:

https://i.imgur.com/xpkWSt1l.jpg

Angle on top of the porch toward gate. For hell of it, had him put 2 in outside of gate as well for our 2 garbage cans.

https://i.imgur.com/bqfhJuRl.jpg

Directly facing the porch:

https://i.imgur.com/3JPMJ3tl.jpg

Side facing porch:

https://i.imgur.com/WG12c1gl.jpg

The top, with my Weber in the background - Wifey wants new one there too!

https://i.imgur.com/hmwFd9jl.jpgYou can come do my side yard. The pavers and gravel would be perfect. We are required to keep out trash cans behind the fence (gate). The SIL thinks it's just fine -n- dandy to have a mud pit from the driveway to the gate. Did I say "SIL" and "thinks" in the same sentence?:rolleyes:

That looks pretty sharp.

jimnyc
07-25-2019, 11:34 AM
You can come do my side yard. The pavers and gravel would be perfect. We are required to keep out trash cans behind the fence (gate). The SIL thinks it's just fine -n- dandy to have a mud pit from the driveway to the gate. Did I say "SIL" and "thinks" in the same sentence?:rolleyes:

That looks pretty sharp.

Thanks!

But you don't want ME anywhere near this kind of work. I would do so wacky looking, and even ask them to do weird things like the stone out of order.

But perfect? You KNOW who you're conversing with!! Unless it's powered up, has a CPU and a motherboard - and also has a KB and mouse connected to it - and also has no Apple/Mac crap within 20 miles of it.... I'm your man, or your home or business network. :) :)

Abbey Marie
07-25-2019, 11:41 AM
It looks great, Jim!

Until the railing is in (and maybe after) it would be safer and look nice if you can put a couple of potted plants/flowers along the edge.

NT'sGirl
07-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Looks great man!

You should send them over to fix the front deck that one of the kids drove through at my house!

jimnyc
07-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Looks great man!

You should send them over to fix the front deck that one of the kids drove through at my house!

NOOOOO! Rick has enough apparently on his plate, and yourself... and now that?

Glad to see ya, Shar! Hope you guys enjoyed the cabin, and I hope you were there too for that fact! Hopefully I can get over there again before I croak! Like less than a year hopefully!!

NT'sGirl
07-25-2019, 11:52 AM
NOOOOO! Rick has enough apparently on his plate, and yourself... and now that?

Glad to see ya, Shar! Hope you guys enjoyed the cabin, and I hope you were there too for that fact! Hopefully I can get over there again before I croak! Like less than a year hopefully!!

You and me both! I have been to the cabin once since you left...

Sam drove the truck into the front deck years ago actually, was kinda surprising to see the front of the truck IN the door but eh she only moved the deck a foot and took out the lower bedroom window.

jimnyc
07-25-2019, 12:03 PM
You and me both! I have been to the cabin once since you left...

Sam drove the truck into the front deck years ago actually, was kinda surprising to see the front of the truck IN the door but eh she only moved the deck a foot and took out the lower bedroom window.

Don't tell me you had to work while they went to the cabin again? LOL

That's what I figured, as I know it's only 7am already, and I didn't think you guys woke up, enjoyed breakfast and a little cleaning up, loaded things up, traveled from Talkeetna to Wasilla....

So I assume Rick is currently snoring in Talkeetna right now?

NT'sGirl
07-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Don't tell me you had to work while they went to the cabin again? LOL

That's what I figured, as I know it's only 7am already, and I didn't think you guys woke up, enjoyed breakfast and a little cleaning up, loaded things up, traveled from Talkeetna to Wasilla....

So I assume Rick is currently snoring in Talkeetna right now?

Nope... he was up at 4 and heading for Barrow right now.
I always have to work while he plays, on my days off I go to Barrow to watch him work lol

jimnyc
07-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Nope... he was up at 4 and heading for Barrow right now.
I always have to work while he plays, on my days off I go to Barrow to watch him work lol

Dang. Sounds like by the time he's finished up there he will be a billionaire, and also have brought them up to speed with NYC!! :) :)

Gunny
07-25-2019, 12:27 PM
It looks great, Jim!

Until the railing is in (and maybe after) it would be safer and look nice if you can put a couple of potted plants/flowers along the edge.Typical woman. Isn't even finished and you're already re-decorating :laugh:

jimnyc
07-25-2019, 12:30 PM
Typical woman. Isn't even finished and you're already re-decorating :laugh:

I think my wifey is hoping my little Chihuahua falls off and meets his maker!

But Abs is correct of course! I already almost fell off when she was on there too and I took some pics yesterday. Probably put 3-4 of them there, at minimum as reminders kind of. Don't need my wife or son suing me!!!

Abbey Marie
07-25-2019, 12:32 PM

:laugh:

Guilty!

Gunny
07-25-2019, 12:33 PM
I think my wifey is hoping my little Chihuahua falls off and meets his maker!

But Abs is correct of course! I already almost fell off when she was on there too and I took some pics yesterday. Probably put 3-4 of them there, at minimum as reminders kind of. Don't need my wife or son suing me!!!
How long does your arm have to survive being your arm before it's out of danger ? :slap:

jimnyc
07-25-2019, 12:47 PM
How long does your arm have to survive being your arm before it's out of danger ? :slap:

In THAT respect, it's been out of danger. Now that the plate and screws are in there, it's stronger than it was before - so I would say that NOW I am definitely out of danger of harming where I broke my arm. Do you think danger gives a F and doesn't soon locate my gps signals anyway? Just give it a little time...

But did you see that congealed bruising? And that nasty incision? It's still healing so still much pain. But I think that's the wrist and finally movement. They had it wrapped in a cast more or less, and a curved arch built under the palm built in with it all. This kept the wrist in a small elevated position, and of course unable to twist and turn. So as of this morning, that's the first real movement in the wrist since June 3rd! A month almost in June and then 24 days in July. For the first 2 minutes it felt like I broke it again!! But has been feeling better slowly but surely. :)

In short - you're correct and then some - it's been long enough. And PLEASE I hope my wife doesn't see anything negative, I HAVE to drive freely now & be able to somewhat function.

And my my my my my am I looking forward to an ENTIRE night of sleep, without a sling or cast on. Not sure if any pain will find me going forward, but I need SLEEP.

Abbey Marie
07-25-2019, 12:50 PM
In THAT respect, it's been out of danger. Now that the plate and screws are in there, it's stronger than it was before - so I would say that NOW I am definitely out of danger of harming where I broke my arm. Do you think danger gives a F and doesn't soon locate my gps signals anyway? Just give it a little time...

But did you see that congealed bruising? And that nasty incision? It's still healing so still much pain. But I think that's the wrist and finally movement. They had it wrapped in a cast more or less, and a curved arch built under the palm built in with it all. This kept the wrist in a small elevated position, and of course unable to twist and turn. So as of this morning, that's the first real movement in the wrist since June 3rd! A month almost in June and then 24 days in July. For the first 2 minutes it felt like I broke it again!! But has been feeling better slowly but surely. :)

In short - you're correct and then some - it's been long enough. And PLEASE I hope my wife doesn't see anything negative, I HAVE to drive freely now & be able to somewhat function.

And my my my my my am I looking forward to an ENTIRE night of sleep, without a sling or cast on. Not sure if any pain will find me going forward, but I need SLEEP.

Along with my Titanium arm plate, we could be some weird over-the-hill Super Hero team.

:coffee:

STTAB
07-25-2019, 12:54 PM

My wife to a TEE. No matter how many times I beg her "one project at a time" She'll make plans, we'll get a project going, I'll go buy everything I'm gonna need to do the project and the next day she's like " I would also like to _______"

We're gonna build a an outdoor kitchen area, I've already poured the slab, which means plumbing and such is in place. I'm going to Home Depot Sunday to order all of the framing lumber and other materials I need to get started. Here comes my wife "What do you think about closing the space between outdoor kitchen area and the house and turning it into 2 new bedrooms?"

I just looked at her "are you really asking me what I think, or are you telling me this is what we're doing unless I want you upset with me?"

she looked at me "I'll dress up in that outfit you like "

Me "yeah I guess it woudn't be that difficult to add in 2 bedrooms while we're adding on"

:laugh2:

worst part is KNOW that once I make those changes and get started she'll be on the other side of farm dreaming up some other project that I'll end up doing too

Gunny
07-25-2019, 02:53 PM
My wife to a TEE. No matter how many times I beg her "one project at a time" She'll make plans, we'll get a project going, I'll go buy everything I'm gonna need to do the project and the next day she's like " I would also like to _______"

We're gonna build a an outdoor kitchen area, I've already poured the slab, which means plumbing and such is in place. I'm going to Home Depot Sunday to order all of the framing lumber and other materials I need to get started. Here comes my wife "What do you think about closing the space between outdoor kitchen area and the house and turning it into 2 new bedrooms?"

I just looked at her "are you really asking me what I think, or are you telling me this is what we're doing unless I want you upset with me?"

she looked at me "I'll dress up in that outfit you like "

Me "yeah I guess it woudn't be that difficult to add in 2 bedrooms while we're adding on"

:laugh2:

worst part is KNOW that once I make those changes and get started she'll be on the other side of farm dreaming up some other project that I'll end up doing tooOh I know the type. Glad she ran off to FL and hasn't returned :)

STTAB
07-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Oh I know the type. Glad she ran off to FL and hasn't returned :)

My wife is literally perfect in every other way, and she tolerates me so

And though I'd never admit it to her , her projects do always turn out great when I'm done with them

But yeah my dad likes to say my mom has trained her well LOL . Her , my mom, and my mother in law feed off each other, we all live close to each other and each time time they get together "oh girl your house would look so great with a __________ and it wouldn't even cost that much because the men can do all the work"

I mean and I don't even mind doing the work, but one project at a time please. When I'm building a fucking 3 bedroom wing onto my home and my dad shows up and says "oh yeah well your mom wants to know if you'd come help add a bathroom to her house" I mean come on, I'm not even a carpenter, I just do what I can do lol.

Gunny
07-25-2019, 03:50 PM
My wife is literally perfect in every other way, and she tolerates me so

And though I'd never admit it to her , her projects do always turn out great when I'm done with them

But yeah my dad likes to say my mom has trained her well LOL . Her , my mom, and my mother in law feed off each other, we all live close to each other and each time time they get together "oh girl your house would look so great with a __________ and it wouldn't even cost that much because the men can do all the work"

I mean and I don't even mind doing the work, but one project at a time please. When I'm building a fucking 3 bedroom wing onto my home and my dad shows up and says "oh yeah well your mom wants to know if you'd come help add a bathroom to her house" I mean come on, I'm not even a carpenter, I just do what I can do lol.

Mine wasn't tolerating me :) Most people weren't at the time. I've gotten over it :)

High_Plains_Drifter
07-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Well I didn't get much done on my forms. Got a start though. Had to buy a new 48" level too. But got all the old rotten RR ties out and a couple of the forms done. Not a straight or level surface to work with so I had to do some creative marking and measuring, then the kid has questions on skype and Heather has to stop over needing a map and a couple pictures printed and that did it for the day. I'll resume tomorrow hopefully without any interruptions.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, Jim, but it is about new steps... ;)

hjmick
07-25-2019, 04:49 PM
It's tiny...

But nice and very well done.

jimnyc
07-25-2019, 04:52 PM
It's tiny...

But nice and very well done.

I can't wait to move further south! Bigger, wider & cheaper!

Abbey Marie
07-25-2019, 06:58 PM
I can't wait to move further south! Bigger, wider & cheaper!

The steps, or the women?

;)

hjmick
07-25-2019, 08:19 PM
The steps, or the women?

;)

Yes.

STTAB
07-26-2019, 10:03 AM
The steps, or the women?

;)

OUch :laugh2:

High_Plains_Drifter
08-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Been at this most of the day now and have it poured. Got the initial striking done but still have to finish edging and then broom it. Waiting until it dries up some... and it isn't going to be perfect, but it's going to be damn sight better than those filthy old, rotten RR ties that were there, and if it was perfect I'd do concrete for a living... :laugh:

The finished product will look better than it does now though.

https://i.ibb.co/cTfkVGW/20190801-123637.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/864HG5G/20190801-123653.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/zNmRrV2/20190801-144123.jpg

High_Plains_Drifter
08-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Edged, broomed off, finished. Long day. Hopefully there's no bubble(s) behind the forms. I packed it and pounded on the forms so hopefully no. But I'm happy. Much nicer than what was there before. Not done yet though either. Going to also cement to the right of it, wall it off even with the upper landing and go behind the shop wall so every time it rains I don't have little piles of sand in the corner by the shop.

https://i.ibb.co/fx6bCy0/20190801-182638.jpg