PDA

View Full Version : "Showing Up" Is 1/2 the Battle

Kathianne
07-28-2019, 03:34 PM
Sending information to all is one way to say, 'they matter.' Information is always best served by the proponents if trying to draw support:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7294389/Every-home-Britain-leaflet-prepare-No-Deal-Brexit.html

Every home in Britain will get a leaflet to prepare for No Deal: Boris Johnson's 'war cabinet' plans PR blitz with Sajid Javid set to announce £1billion of extra cash to make sure Brexit happens on October 31 'by any means necessary'

Boris Johnson is preparing a No Deal information blitz to make sure Britain is ready to leave the EU - with or without an agreement - on October 31.

The new Prime Minister is planning to show Brussels he is serious about taking Britain out of the bloc without a deal by ramping up preparations.

The information push will see an everything-you-need-to-know leaflet sent to 27 million households and the broadcast of TV ads as part of a campaign which is expected to cost £10 million

Mr Johnson is adamant that he will deliver Brexit by the current Halloween deadline and has set up a six-strong 'war cabinet' tasked with pushing through the UK's divorce 'by any means necessary'.

The group is made up exclusively of senior Brexit-backing ministers: Mr Johnson, Michael Gove, Sajid Javid, Dominic Raab, Stephen Barclay and Geoffrey Cox.

It is an attempt by Mr Johnson to streamline the Brexit decision-making process and to stop Whitehall bureaucracy slowing down preparations.

Mr Gove revealed today that the government is now working on the 'assumption' that there will be a No Deal Brexit because ministers believe the EU will not give in to Mr Johnson's demands to renegotiate the terms of Britain's divorce.

As a result, the government is increasing its spending on No Deal contingency planning with Mr Javid expected to this week announce additional funding of at least £1 billion.

Meanwhile, a new poll showed Mr Johnson's elevation to PM had delivered a ten-point 'Boris bounce' for the Conservative Party with the Tories now five points ahead of Labour.

Team Johnson believes the UK must fully commit to No Deal if it is to convince the EU that it is ready to go ahead with a chaotic split at the end of October.

Mr Johnson's planned information blitz is central to those plans with the new PM hoping the leaflets and TV ads will assuage fears of voters and make clear that Britain can handle leaving the EU without agreeing terms.

The leaflet is expected to set out the 'key facts' relating to a No Deal Brexit and will show there is 'nothing to fear' from such a departure.

It will detail advice on travel arrangements, medicine and food supplies, and warn against stockpiling, according to The Sun.

There will also be a No Deal website launched where people will be able to go to answer any questions they have about how they could be affected.

Mr Johnson's Brexit 'war cabinet' will meet for the first time tomorrow while Mr Gove, the minister responsible for contingency planning, has reportedly been told to hold daily progress meetings with civil servants and advisers.

His stripped-back Brexit-planning group stands in stark contrast to his predecessor Theresa May's approach

Gunny
07-28-2019, 05:48 PM
How much you want to bet we have to stay ourselves on top of the No-Deal "Brexit" as it unfolds while the MSM checks out what Trump's eating for lunch and who it could possibly offend?

Kathianne
07-30-2019, 03:19 PM
Drummond, I thought you'd find the OP interesting. Oh well, this sounds good.

Johnson it seems has cleared out those who were all agog with soft brexit and what have you. Johnson seems to want a team that is all playing on his side. I do love the Game Of Thrones:

https://thefederalist.com/2019/07/30/week-1-boris-johnson-turns-pursuit-brexit-game-thrones/

In Week 1, Boris Johnson Turns His Pursuit Of Brexit Into ‘Game Of Thrones’

The new U.K. prime minister has his work cut out for him amid political chaos and tensions. His primary job is to deliver Brexit. Can he do it?

Boris Johnson has made U.K. politics entertaining again. His first week as the U.K. prime minister was nothing short of the excitement of a “Game of Thrones” episode. (I do believe that Drummond promised it would be 'entertaining.)

It started with a “Wednesday massacre” of the Cabinet established under former prime minister Theresa May. On July 24, the same day Johnson officially became the new resident of No. 10 Downing St., he sacked 11 ministers in an hour, including the nine who backed his opponent, Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt, for the PM job. Six other ministers, including Hunt, resigned.

Observers called Johnson’s move the “bloodiest cabinet reshuffle in modern history.” Johnson’s friend Nigel Evans referred to it as “a summer’s day massacre.” British media gave Johnson a new nickname: the Godfather.

Then there was a class reunion of Brexiteers. Johnson appointed Dominic Cummings, the chief political strategist of Brexit in 2016, to be his senior adviser. U.K. liberal media called Cummings a “master of dark arts” and blamed his messaging for successfully convincing a slight majority of Britons to vote “leave” from the European Union in 2016.

Keep Your Enemies Close
Besides getting Cummings on his side, Johnson organized a war Cabinet of six senior ministers who all support a “no-deal” Brexit. Among the six, the appointment of Chancellor Michael Gove is the most surprising.

Back in 2016, Gove, along with Cummings and Johnson, led the “Vote Leave” movement. After the Brexiteers won and right before Johnson officially announced his run for prime minister, Gove “stabbed” Johnson in the back by declaring he was running for the same job. Johnson withdrew from the race at the very last minute, and May, a “remain” supporter, ended up becoming the prime minister. May’s “pleasing everyone” approach resulted in a Brexit deal that all sides in Britain hate and eventually cost her the PM job.

A few weeks ago, while Johnson was running against Hunt to replace May, Gove tried to make amends by saying he thought Johnson would make a “great” prime minister. Johnson is not known to be a forgiving person, especially not for the kind of political betrayal Gove pulled three years ago. By appointing Gove to the chancellor position, maybe Johnson is trying to apply the ancient wisdom of keeping your friends close, your enemies closer, and your “frenemy” the closest?

Putting aside personal ambitions and past history, the reunion of the three leaders of the “Vote Leave” movement put the “remain” supporters and the EU on notice that they’re dealing with a different team now.

Boris Has One Job: Brexit
However, not all Brexiteers support Johnson. Steve Baker, one of the most senior Brexiteer members of Parliament and a hard-line Euroskeptic, turned down a job in the Brexit department Johnson offered. This shows Johnson has his work cut out for him. He was elected with one mandate: delivering Brexit. Can he do it?

He clearly understands what his mission is. In his first speech upon becoming PM, Johnson told the world that the British government is “going to fulfil the repeated promises of Parliament to the people and come out of the EU on Oct. 31, no ifs or buts.”

Kathianne
07-31-2019, 04:00 PM
Not so positive:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2019/07/31/ex-pm-bojo-may-end-first-prime-minister-england/

Ex-PM: BoJo May End Up The First Prime Minister Of England
ED MORRISSEYPosted at 4:41 pm on July 31, 2019

The comment’s a few days old, but as prophecy it might be gaining some traction. Boris Johnson has gone on a tour of the United Kingdom to build support for his no-retreat strategy on Brexit, only to find little unity among the other three nations of the union. As Gordon Brown quipped last week, Brexit might take on a whole new meaning, and even Johnson’s Tory colleagues wonder about it:

SEE ALSO: AOC: Palestinians — and other marginalized communities — “have no choice but to riot”

May’s de facto deputy prime minister, David Lidington, told the BBC this month that the union “would be under much greater strain in the event of a no-deal.”

He added, “My view comes not just from Scottish nationalism and pressure for Irish unification — it comes from indifference among English opinion to the value of the union.”

Gordon Brown, a former Labour Party prime minister, said at an event in London last week that Johnson could be remembered “not as the 55th prime minister of the U.K. but as the first prime minister of England.”

Now that Johnson has wrapped up his first four-nations tour, the returns suggest that disunity may become a very big problem if a hard Brexit takes place on Halloween. Johnson got booed in Wales and Scotland, the latter of which intends to push a new independence referendum in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Johnson stayed away from public forums on his visit to Northern Ireland, but the political parties in deadlock over forming an executive showed a lot more consensus when it came to Johnson’s Brexit plans:

Kathianne
08-01-2019, 07:18 AM
Noir, I really don't understand much of your politics beyond the theoretical. I've found another, I think third? article I've come across at how Boris Johnson has been doing/perceived this past week or so.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/07/31/how-boris-and-his-cabinet-broke-the-left/

Can you comment? I think Drummond has been too busy to take a look, which I certainly can understand.

Noir
08-02-2019, 05:07 AM
@Noir (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=517), I really don't understand much of your politics beyond the theoretical. I've found another, I think third? article I've come across at how Boris Johnson has been doing/perceived this past week or so.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/07/31/how-boris-and-his-cabinet-broke-the-left/

Can you comment? I think @Drummond (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=2287) has been too busy to take a look, which I certainly can understand.

I think a good indicator of Johnson’s current position is that we had a by-election yesterday in an area that voted 53% Leave to 46% remain, going in the incumbent conservative Chris Davies has a majority of 8,038 votes, and he lost by 1,425 votes to a Liberal Democrat.

As as a new leader to a party, coming in with a wave of gusto and sound bites - losing 8,000 votes in pro-leave mid-Wales is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Noir
08-02-2019, 05:19 AM
Sending information to all is one way to say, 'they matter.' Information is always best served by the proponents if trying to draw support:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7294389/Every-home-Britain-leaflet-prepare-No-Deal-Brexit.html

Every home in Britain will get a leaflet to prepare for No Deal: Boris Johnson's 'war cabinet' plans PR blitz with Sajid Javid set to announce £1billion of extra cash to make sure Brexit happens on October 31 'by any means necessary'

Boris Johnson is preparing a No Deal information blitz to make sure Britain is ready to leave the EU - with or without an agreement - on October 31.

The new Prime Minister is planning to show Brussels he is serious about taking Britain out of the bloc without a deal by ramping up preparations.

Turns out an additional £1 Billion wasn’t enough, so a few days later the number more than doubled.

Sajid Javid has doubled no deal funding to "turbo-charge" preparations in his first week as Chancellor.Mr Javid announced £2.1 billion in extra spending for this year, on top of an existing £2.1 billion set aside for Brexit.

Proper conservative politics in action ;)

jimnyc
08-02-2019, 07:42 AM
Noir, I really don't understand much of your politics beyond the theoretical. I've found another, I think third? article I've come across at how Boris Johnson has been doing/perceived this past week or so.

Can you comment? I think Drummond has been too busy to take a look, which I certainly can understand.

The above stories, and everything else I've read since he took office - is that it seems similar to what is going on here. Someone new gets into office, a bunch refuse from the very get go to give ANYTHING a chance and block and obstruct from the get go, and ultimately shit doesn't get done, or its difficult to get shit done. I don't know how bad the left will be with every other subject though, and I don't fully understand how their government works (nor do I want to). But I see a lot of similar traits, and some worse!!

Noir
08-05-2019, 08:13 AM
Turns out an additional £1 Billion wasn’t enough, so a few days later the number more than doubled.

Proper conservative politics in action ;)
[/FONT][/COLOR]

In another dazzling display of conservative politics in action - Boris announces and additional £1.8 Billion funding for the NHS

I await in anticipation his announcement for Social Care.