PDA

View Full Version : 10-year-old boy charged with assault after dodgeball injury

jimnyc
07-30-2019, 03:32 PM
I am going 100% on Mom's words and the stories like this so far. Stories add in about both children and more from the other Mom, but not any direct helpful information. Then we have the prosecutor simply stating that there was sufficient evidence, but offering none, and then general statistics. So thus far, really the words from Mom and involved child, and from celebrities. BUT, without evidence to the contrary...

Then I almost have to agree this was a shitty racist incident.

If you know your child is susceptible to certain injury and harm, then you ensure he stays away from such activities. Make everyone aware so they can take appropriate precautions.

I have NEVER seen a child of that age get prosecuted for playing a game at school. Do they have something on film, I wonder? I've played baseball with some aggressive sliding and beaned pitches, football is all around dangerous and kids HIT one another on purpose, wrestling is a tough sport - and dodgeball - the goal is to HIT your opponent. When I played, sure, I think headshots were off limits, but happened in every single game! We were allowed to kick the ball to propel it at an opponent and that can take it off course. But did he smash him in the face from a foot away when the game was over? I think someone would have stated so.

So it SOUNDS like a kid getting hammered by someone in the game, the simple bouncing his head made back and forth a tad can give you a migraine, I know this for a fact! And perhaps more so if ya got issues!

And then:

“sustained facial tissue damage to his face. He had a black eye and a bruised nose.”

These balls are rubber, they sting, but bounce off of you. The kid had issues if one of these did this kind of damage, or it wasn't a "kickball/dodgeball" that was used. It doesn't add up.

Something in this story is missing.

---

10-year-old boy charged with assault after dodgeball injury: 'Our kids are racially targeted'

The mom of a 10-year-old boy received the shock of her life recently: a phone call from her local juvenile court, explaining that her son would be charged with aggravated assault, months after a playground game of dodgeball at his elementary school.

“I couldn’t believe it,” Cameishi Lindley, mother of soon-to-be-fifth-grader Bryce Lindley, told 7 Action News about the call, received from the Wayne County Juvenile Court in Canton, Mich., on July 24.

Now, because the boy being punished is black and the boy who was injured is white, some critics are calling the incident racist, while others — including celebrity comedian DL Hughley, who called the charge “ridiculous” — are coming to the boy’s general defense.

“Some 10 year olds were playing dodgeball on the playground at school. A white kid got hit with the ball. Then they charged the 10 year old Black child with assault,” tweeted film producer and self-dubbed “No. 1 race baiter” Tariq Nasheed. “This is why we should not prioritize any of these border issues, while our kids are racially targeted.”

https://i.imgur.com/RaKRRUz.png

The situation began back on Apr. 29, when Bryce received a one-day suspension from Ruth Eriksson Elementary, in Canton, for allegedly hitting a classmate in the face with a ball during a game of dodgeball. The child reportedly sustained a concussion, but because it was an accident, Lindley didn’t expect punitive measures against her son Bryce to go any further.

But the injured child’s mother — who declined to release her name or her child’s to the public — says her son had a previous medical condition that made him susceptible to head injuries. Further, she alleges to 7 Action News that this particular injury was no accident, adding that he “sustained facial tissue damage to his face. He had a black eye and a bruised nose.” She says that her son had already experienced similar incidents while engaging in physical activities at school, and that she “tried not to let it get to this point.”

The case, Wayne County’s assistant prosecuting attorney Maria Miller tells Yahoo Lifestyle, “was evaluated by our Juvenile Prosecuting Unit, and it was determined that there was enough evidence to for us to charge aggravated assault.”

Critics, however, have called out the charge as overly harsh and racist:

https://i.imgur.com/rLRlCP2.png
https://i.imgur.com/bzuuoNC.png
https://i.imgur.com/D05g24e.png

(above article aside, DL Hughley has got to be one of the most racist men alive -Jim)

Some seem to imply that the incident appears to fit into a larger pattern — of what various studies have found to be disproportionate punishments between black and white children in America.

A 2018 report by the watchdog Government Accountability Group found that black students in grades K-12 are far more likely to be disciplined at school — whether through suspension or referral to law enforcement — than kids of other races. Further, noted the New York Times in 2017, “during the 2012 school year, black students [in Arkansas] were suspended five times as often as whites were, and little has changed since then. The racial discipline gap is not restricted to Arkansas, or to the South. The same report finds that several Northern states, including Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin, rank above Arkansas in the black-white suspension gap.” Another study — from the Brookings Institution, looking at California schools — found evidence of the gap despite statewide efforts to reduce suspensions.

In the meantime, Lindley has created a fundraiser to assist her with Bryce’s legal fees and they are set to appear in juvenile court on Aug. 1st. She says that neither she nor her son knew about the injured child's medical condition — nor did they know about the other school incidents — and feels the injured child shouldn't have been playing a risky game in the first place.

Hughley’s Instagram post in defense of Bryce has attracted more than 21,000 likes since Sunday. “Ridiculous!! These are kids being kids!!” he wrote. “They charged a child?? If the kid has a medical condition… why is he participating in something where he can get hurt?? #ThisIsAmerica.” Other social media users have echoed his sentiments, one noting, “if your child has a medical condition and as the parent you fail to alert the school and teacher about it, then it’s your fault! Not the kid who was just playing a game of dodgeball. Smh.”

Lindley told the local news station: “This is a kid who was playing on a playground with his friends…I’m sorry that her child got hurt. I’d be sorry for any child that got hurt.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/critics-of-10-yearold-boy-charged-in-classmates-dodgeball-injury-blame-racism-191039356.html

Kathianne
07-30-2019, 03:58 PM
This is insane. IF the child has a medical condition that makes him susceptible to injury, it should be on his records. That would preclude his participation in such a game and restricted PE also.

The one day suspension or detention for hitting him above shoulders, would be ok in most schools that 'allow' dodgeball. (Yes, many no longer allow the game. :rolleyes: ) There always is a rule that the hit must be below shoulders. 'Accidents happen' and that is where detention comes in.

Hopefully the judge will throw this out.

Elessar
07-30-2019, 04:03 PM
Just plain stupid.

If that kid was as fragile, he should be raised in a bubble.

Gunny
07-30-2019, 04:05 PM
Hardened criminal #1: "I'm in for murdering two little old ladies for their $20 grocery money. What you in for?"

"Hardened criminal" #2: "I won a game of dodgeball".

:smoke:

Elessar
07-30-2019, 04:13 PM
:lol:

jimnyc
07-30-2019, 04:25 PM
The defendant's Mom is trying to crowdfund for money to get a lawyer. She asked for up to $4,000 and are now up to $13,147.

Here's what Mom wrote:

On 4/30/19, Bryce was suspended from Plymouth/Canton schools, Erikkson Elementary, for throwing a ball back at a student during recess, while playing a game called TIPS/ DODGEBALL. The ball that Bryce threw “allegedly” resulted in the other student having a concussion. After meeting with the Principal about why Bryce was suspended while the other students who fully participated in this game were not, the Principal disclosed that the injured student has a pre-existing condition, “Chronic brain stem infliction...” Clearly, this student should not have been playing a physical contact sport. This students mother is also a teacher in the local area. Today, I was put on notice that Bryce, a 10-year old, my son, is being charged with aggravated assault in the 3rd Circuit Juvenile Court in Detroit, Michigan. I’m just as shocked as those of you reading our story. Nonetheless, I am asking for your assistance in securing a Lawyer for Bryce. He is scheduled to appear next week in court on 8/1. The Attorney fees are $4,000. Thank each of you for your help and prayers.

During recess? This wasn't a school sanctioned - school watched over event? Was this kid sitting for when teachers were around, but participating when not? Got some questions myself!

Why was no one else suspended? Just the kid who hit another? Proof it was on purpose somehow? HOW did this so called "Juvenile Prosecuting Unit" find out about this, what specific "evidence" did they see in making their determination?

If you have some form of brain stem injury, then OF COURSE you will get migraines much easier than others.

The truth will hopefully come out and/or this will be dismissed, or they will offer somewhat blurred video of an ""assault".

Kathianne
07-30-2019, 04:48 PM
The defendant's Mom is trying to crowdfund for money to get a lawyer. She asked for up to $4,000 and are now up to $13,147.

Here's what Mom wrote:

During recess? This wasn't a school sanctioned - school watched over event? Was this kid sitting for when teachers were around, but participating when not? Got some questions myself!

Why was no one else suspended? Just the kid who hit another? Proof it was on purpose somehow? HOW did this so called "Juvenile Prosecuting Unit" find out about this, what specific "evidence" did they see in making their determination?

If you have some form of brain stem injury, then OF COURSE you will get migraines much easier than others.

The truth will hopefully come out and/or this will be dismissed, or they will offer somewhat blurred video of an ""assault".

Most school districts require certified staff to be monitoring recess, actually at all times during the day. (Which is why nearly all teachers I know carry 'professional liability' as an additional rider on homeowner's/renter's policies. Mine is for $1M.That's in addition to the $1M the schools have on each teacher.) Anyone monitoring needs to be aware of any medical issues of all the kids they are responsible for. For instance: juvenile diabetes; asthma; allergies that need epi; etc. A kid with any sort of known brain/heart type of pre-existing condition would be on the need-to-know sheet.

IF it were determined that the suspended boy had thrown too hard, was acting in a 'bullying'-eye-of-beholder manner, had thrown above the shoulders before-he would be given suspension/detention. It's a tricky area. Was there a large difference in size/athletic ability, blah blah. Teachers are not totally objective, but not going to punish a whole class for 1 kid's bad behavior.