PDA

View Full Version : Terrorism pays after all.

theHawk
09-05-2007, 10:58 AM
No one seems to be talking about this at all. S. Korea has given into the demands of the terrorists. I'm all for them telling them what they wanted to hear in order to get them to release the hostages, and glad the hostages were released, but why should the Koreans hold onto their end of the bargin now? What will the long term repercussions be?

CNN) -- Taliban kidnappers Thursday released the seven remaining South Korean hostages and handed them over to Red Cross officials, Afghan and Taliban officials said.

Two hostages, left and right, walk with a Red Cross official Thursday after being released in Afghanistan.

On Wednesday, Taliban militants released a total of 12 South Korean hostages, part of the group of 19 Christian aid workers who have been held for nearly six weeks.

The kidnappers freed the 10 women and two men in three separate groups, a day after South Korea announced its team of negotiators in Afghanistan had reached a deal with them.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/30/afghan.hostages/index.html

jafar00
09-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm not in any way supporting what the Taliban do. I hate them in fact.

But what the hell were they thinking by sending missionaries into the heart of Taliban territory? They expected to be welcomed with open arms and carpets of rose petals?

Gunny
09-05-2007, 04:53 PM

But what the hell were they thinking by sending missionaries into the heart of Taliban territory? They expected to be welcomed with open arms and carpets of rose petals?

Who is "they?" Did the gov't of South Korea send the missionaries?

Gaffer
09-05-2007, 05:28 PM

"They" were thinking that islam is a religion of peace and that the missionaries would be perfectly safe. "They" were thinking that the islamist have the same compassionate, live and let live, tolerant view of things "they" have. "They" are ignorant of islam and its teachings.

jafar00
09-06-2007, 04:49 AM
"They" were thinking that islam is a religion of peace and that the missionaries would be perfectly safe. "They" were thinking that the islamist have the same compassionate, live and let live, tolerant view of things "they" have. "They" are ignorant of islam and its teachings.

Islam is a religion of Peace. They made the mistake of assuming the Taliban follow the religion of Islam if that's what they thought.

Would you send people into the lair of known violent extremists knowing fully well that would likely be killed when they were discovered proselytising?

Not smart at all.

diuretic
09-06-2007, 05:16 AM
They went into Afghanistan. For a moment put Islam aside. My father served in that region in WWII. He was a man without taint of racism but I remember him telling me that he'd never known such a quarrelsome and difficult and, I have to say it, treacherous, bunch of people. I remember him telling me that some of the tribesmen still had rifles they'd captured from the Brits (we're talking Queen Victoria here) in the 19th Century. That's culture, that's not religion.

Originally Buddhist as we all know, Afghanistan was converted to Islam much later. The statues of the Buddha had stood since the Third Century CE. They were blown up by the Taleban who are predominantly Pakistani in any case. If Islam is such a difficult religion then why weren't those statues destroyed hundreds of years ago?

Where I live there is Australia's oldest mosque, dates from the 1880s. It was established to meet the religious needs of Afghan cameleers who helped open up the outback with their camels and their trading of goods in isolated areas. There was a mosque in the outback which served the Afghans at the same time. And not one hint of violence in a hundred and thirty-something years.

Sorry, this wholesale smearing of a religion just doesn't hold up to critical examination.

chesswarsnow
09-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. But the simple fact that other religious people take their own lives into their hands, in a Muslim Nation speaks volumes all by itself.
2. Is there no justice?
3. I say point blank, *No*.
4. Islam in its very core principles is based on oppression of others.
5. If Islam isn't oppressing some group of people, its not finding its balance/center, death is its message, and food for its soul.
6. If they are not murdering innocent people, they just feel like the whole day was wasted.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

diuretic
09-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Well given the number of Muslims in the world every day should be cracker day don't you think?

Have you been keeping score with the Tamil Tigers and the Sri Lankan military?
More boom boom than a John Lee Hooker song. Hindus and Buddhists, yep, not a Muslim among them.

Gunny
09-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Islam is a religion of Peace. They made the mistake of assuming the Taliban follow the religion of Islam if that's what they thought.

Would you send people into the lair of known violent extremists knowing fully well that would likely be killed when they were discovered proselytising?

Not smart at all.

Islam is a religion of peace about like I'm an instrument of peace.

Again, who is "they" that sent these people?

jafar00
09-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Islam is a religion of peace about like I'm an instrument of peace.

Again, who is "they" that sent these people?

"They" are the fools that sent these people to Afghanistan in the first place.

Monkeybone
09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
yah those damn fools and their aid workings. curse them

Gunny
09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
"They" are the fools that sent these people to Afghanistan in the first place.

And are these so-called fools the government of South Korea?

theHawk
09-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes, people are 'fools' for trying to help people in war ravaged areas out.

Well you know what, you just convinced me. From now on we should never send aid of any kind, cash or people, to help any ME nation. The only thing we should do is bomb them pillar to post and call it a day.