PDA

View Full Version : England 5% Residences Have AC?

Kathianne
08-22-2019, 12:31 AM
Same with Paris? Average temps are pretty close to Chicago or New York.

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2019/08/environmentalists-killed-more-europeans.html

Really.

Noir
08-22-2019, 03:04 AM
I’s say the average for the U.K. is well less than 5%

Look at a world map, the U.K. is as far North as middle Canada, our houses for the most part are designed to keep heat in, these freakish (and yet seemingly now common) spikes in temperature are not something we’re prepared for, for good reason.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-22-2019, 06:15 AM
Same with Paris? Average temps are pretty close to Chicago or New York.

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2019/08/environmentalists-killed-more-europeans.html

Really.

We never had air-conditioning as kids unless you count a window fan that would blow in one room only-- the kitchen.
Was tough in these hot Southern summers here but we managed.
First air-conditioning I got was when I rented my first place at age 18.
I have never been without it since, that is 47 years now.
They want to die following a damn lie--(global warming scam), I say let 'em, as they already invited in their executioners---the muslims.. --Tyr

High_Plains_Drifter
08-22-2019, 08:00 AM
We never had air-conditioning as kids unless you count a window fan that would blow in one room only-- the kitchen.
They want to die following a damn lie--(global warming scam), I say let 'em, as they already invited in their executioners---the muslims.. --Tyr
Yep, we never had any a/c in any house we lived in either. The first a/c my parents ever got in a house of their's was a window unit. First a/c I ever had was in the first apartment I moved into, and like you bro, I've had a/c everywhere I've lived since. I have central a/c in my house now. Wouldn't be without it. It not only cools the air, but it removes humidity as well, and I just can not sleep when it's STICKY hot. I need to be cool with no humidity. Speaking of which, it was 56 here in SW WI last night, nice night, with nights coming possibly in the 40's. They're saying the month of September could all be colder than average temps. Fine with me. I'm always ready for cooler weather after a hot summer. I can get back outside and work without being drenched in sweat.

Yeah the Europeans... that's just nuts.

Drummond
08-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Much though it goes against the grain to do so, I'm in agreement with Noir on this one. Air conditioning in British homes is a rarity (I've certainly never had it). That's usually reserved for office environments.

Ours isn't a particularly warm climate ! Noir overlooks that the British Isles gets environmental help from the Gulf Stream .. we usually have warmer winters than would be typical for this latitude. I don't think it helps in summer, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/29/met-office-confirms-new-uk-record-temperature-of-387c

See the link .. our highest ever temperature was set last July 29th, at 101 degrees Fahrenheit. Normally even London is lucky to get to the mid-Nineties in summer. Where I am, in Wales, we think of 80 degrees as heatwave territory. A ten degree difference between here and London (only around 150 miles distant from me) is typical of our summers.

Today ... our 'high' will be just 68 degrees. We're in for a warm spell, though, which may take the temperature to the upper Seventies ...

Gunny
08-22-2019, 10:27 AM
We didn't have AC when I was a kid. Yes it's nice. It also has defined later generations here. It's ridiculous to me. Our street was loaded with kids all summer when I was one. This place now is a ghost town all summer. AC and video games and some fat-food snacks and who needs to leave the house?

I recall teeny-boppers working in the malls here looking down their noses at us when we were working a job there because we were hot and sweaty and worked outside in the S Texas sun with not one thought given to the fact I was getting paid 2 and a half times what their pampered asses were. But the mentality here for teens is "get an inside job for the summer THEN worry about the money".

Wimps :)

STTAB
08-22-2019, 11:43 AM

You're a fucking whack job, too bad you're also a pussy who has me on ignore because you can't handle being called out for being an idiot. Europe's not having AC in most residences has NOTHING to do with climate change you idiot. I have several European friends and they don't have AC in their homes for the same reason you don't see many homes in South Africa with heaters. It's just not necessary. They pop over here for a visit in the summer time when the temperature is 90 degrees with 85 percent humidity and not one of them is like "oh don't turn on the a/c think of the environment"

I reiterate, you're a pussy moron.

STTAB
08-22-2019, 11:46 AM
We didn't have AC when I was a kid. Yes it's nice. It also has defined later generations here. It's ridiculous to me. Our street was loaded with kids all summer when I was one. This place now is a ghost town all summer. AC and video games and some fat-food snacks and who needs to leave the house?

I recall teeny-boppers working in the malls here looking down their noses at us when we were working a job there because we were hot and sweaty and worked outside in the S Texas sun with not one thought given to the fact I was getting paid 2 and a half times what their pampered asses were. But the mentality here for teens is "get an inside job for the summer THEN worry about the money".

Wimps :)

Same here Gunny, my parents didn't put AC in the house until well after all us kids had moved out. Now when I built a new house, yes it has central air lol. And in the summer time I make my kids go out and play no different than my parents made me. Some of these kids I see today, I wonder if they ever spend ANY time outdoors.

Kathianne
08-22-2019, 04:36 PM
You're a fucking whack job, too bad you're also a pussy who has me on ignore because you can't handle being called out for being an idiot. Europe's not having AC in most residences has NOTHING to do with climate change you idiot. I have several European friends and they don't have AC in their homes for the same reason you don't see many homes in South Africa with heaters. It's just not necessary. They pop over here for a visit in the summer time when the temperature is 90 degrees with 85 percent humidity and not one of them is like "oh don't turn on the a/c think of the environment"

I reiterate, you're a pussy moron.

Hmmm, you're not playing nice, bad day? Seems Tyr read the OP article, here's the link in case there's a problem with your finding it: http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2019...europeans.html (http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2019/08/environmentalists-killed-more-europeans.html)

Noir
08-23-2019, 02:42 AM
Much though it goes against the grain to do so, I'm in agreement with Noir on this one. Air conditioning in British homes is a rarity (I've certainly never had it). That's usually reserved for office environments.

Ours isn't a particularly warm climate ! Noir overlooks that the British Isles gets environmental help from the Gulf Stream .. we usually have warmer winters than would be typical for this latitude. I don't think it helps in summer, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/29/met-office-confirms-new-uk-record-temperature-of-387c

See the link .. our highest ever temperature was set last July 29th, at 101 degrees Fahrenheit. Normally even London is lucky to get to the mid-Nineties in summer. Where I am, in Wales, we think of 80 degrees as heatwave territory. A ten degree difference between here and London (only around 150 miles distant from me) is typical of our summers.

Today ... our 'high' will be just 68 degrees. We're in for a warm spell, though, which may take the temperature to the upper Seventies ...

I know you *think* you don’t need air-conditioning at your house, but that’s only because you’ve been brainwashed by environmentalists don’t’cha know :laugh:

Drummond
08-23-2019, 09:31 AM
I know you *think* you don’t need air-conditioning at your house, but that’s only because you’ve been brainwashed by environmentalists don’t’cha know :laugh:

From your conclusion, then ... I take it that you don't have air conditioning yourself .... yes ?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

[... Gotta be 'PC' in all things ... the Comrades would never forgive you, if you ever fail to be, eh, Noir ....]

Kathianne
08-23-2019, 09:35 AM
From your conclusion, then ... I take it that you don't have air conditioning yourself .... yes ?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

[... Gotta be 'PC' in all things ... the Comrades would never forgive you, if you ever fail to be, eh, Noir ....]

I don't much like AC, though in AZ it would be impossible to live without it from June-mid September.

My thermostat is at 83, in summer. It's at 75 in winter-last winter it did not go on but twice.

SassyLady
08-23-2019, 10:32 AM
I don't much like AC, though in AZ it would be impossible to live without it from June-mid September.

My thermostat is at 83, in summer. It's at 75 in winter-last winter it did not go on but twice.

My home in northern California had no AC. Lived there 22 years. Just opened windows and skylights at night which cooled house down to low 60s and kept it around 68 during day.

Moved to AZ and I turn down AC to 66 at night and 72 during day. I don't like being warm.

Kathianne
08-23-2019, 10:41 AM
My home in northern California had no AC. Lived there 22 years. Just opened windows and skylights at night which cooled house down to low 60s and kept it around 68 during day.

Moved to AZ and I turn down AC to 66 at night and 72 during day. I don't like being warm.

Like many here, my family didn't get central air in IL until 1980 or so. All of my homes since have had it, but in all honesty I used it 2 or 3 days in IL most years. Heat? All the time in winter! LOL!

Here, I start it when the outside temp reach 105, end of June this year. Set at 83 and that's where it stays. My bill runs about $75 per month. Heat? 2 days last year that it kicked on, kept it at 68 I believe. I wear a sweater..

If anyone reads the OP they would find that literally tens of thousands have died from not having air conditioning on 'those few days' when the temps go too high. That would mostly be infants and the elderly.

Drummond
08-23-2019, 11:52 AM

There's the big difference. In the UK, I'd say that the only location that could possibly 'need' AC was London, and then only during comparatively short heatwaves (.. or, what we CALL 'heatwaves').

In the next couple of days, if I believe the BBC's forecast report, my location may see a peak temperature rise approaching 80 degrees F. THAT, to us, is a 'heatwave'.

I'd make this point. We're an island nation, and this lends itself towards naturally humid conditions. Any great temperature rise invariably has high humidity as well, making for an oppressive environment.

I'll never forget one of my visits to America's Eastern seaboard, early one winter ... standing outside Hartford station, waiting for a train when I was making the return journey back to New York ... it had been snowing, with a thick blanket of snow on the ground. I marvelled at the fact that I didn't even feel chilly, even with all that unmelted snow around me. There I was, unzipping my jacket, not feeling cold !

I was perfectly well at the time !

I put the experience of being 'warm' down to a lack of humidity in the air. No appreciable water vapour in the air, to lock in any coldness, no coldness 'bite' to the air, which we ALWAYS get here. It makes a quite remarkable difference. When hot -- when cold -- humidity is significant.

Kathianne
08-23-2019, 11:57 AM
There's the big difference. In the UK, I'd say that the only location that could possibly 'need' AC was London, and then only during comparatively short heatwaves (.. or, what we CALL 'heatwaves').

In the next couple of days, if I believe the BBC's forecast report, my location may see a peak temperature rise approaching 80 degrees F. THAT, to us, is a 'heatwave'.

I'd make this point. We're an island nation, and this lends itself towards naturally humid conditions. Any great temperature rise invariably has high humidity as well, making for an oppressive environment.

I'll never forget one of my visits to America's Eastern seaboard, early one winter ... standing outside Hartford station, waiting for a train when I was making the return journey back to New York ... it had been snowing, with a thick blanket of snow on the ground. I marvelled at the fact that I didn't even feel chilly, even with all that unmelted snow around me. There I was, unzipping my jacket, not feeling cold !

I was perfectly well at the time !

I put the experience of being 'warm' down to a lack of humidity in the air. No appreciable water vapour in the air, to lock in any coldness, no coldness 'bite' to the air, which we ALWAYS get here. It makes a quite remarkable difference. When hot -- when cold -- humidity is significant.

Which is what I said about temps being much like Chicago or NYC-humidity. Not many days are 'intolerable' but there's a few. Most homes now have central AC/Heat. Most years the AC I used was 2 or 3 days. Mostly got by with whole house attic fan and windows open.

Not possible in AZ. Not unusual to be at 115+. Yesterday it was 114F and it's nearly September.

Drummond
08-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Which is what I said about temps being much like Chicago or NYC-humidity. Not many days are 'intolerable' but there's a few. Most homes now have central AC/Heat. Most years the AC I used was 2 or 3 days. Mostly got by with whole house attic fan and windows open.

Not possible in AZ. Not unusual to be at 115+. Yesterday it was 114F and it's nearly September.

Wow ... I have never experienced such temperatures. In the UK, I'll be amazed if I ever do.

In the next year or 2, I'm seriously considering a journey to Singapore ... which sits near to the equator. I'll probably time it to coincide with our winter ... living in near-freezing temperatures, to spending days in 90 degrees F, all experienced within a 12 hour gap separating them. Should be quite an experience.

Ah, if I can time it to coincide with any heatwave of theirs, so much the better. A brilliant weather feature of the equator is, of course, that the equator has no appreciable winter at all, ever ....

Gunny
08-23-2019, 07:25 PM

Today ... our 'high' will be just 68 degrees. We're in for a warm spell, though, which may take the temperature to the upper Seventies ...We haven't missed 99 - 103 degrees since the beginning of the month.

One thing not mentioned is, houses are no longer built with cooling without an AC in mind. Here in S Texas, they were always low and flat with multiple windows of each of all 4 sides. My grandmother could take 4 fans and get Hurricane force winds blowing through the house :laugh: The windows in these new cracker boxes don't even oppose each other if you wanted to catch a draft.

Gunny
08-23-2019, 07:33 PM
Somebody write this down. I agree with Noir. We didn't have it as children so we never missed it. People are now conditioned to believe they can't live without it. But I'd say that is a cultural brainwashing, if anything.

Kathianne
08-23-2019, 07:39 PM
Somebody write this down. I agree with Noir. We didn't have it as children so we never missed it. People are now conditioned to believe they can't live without it. But I'd say that is a cultural brainwashing, if anything.

Again, I'm not going to say it's impossible to live without it, I too grew up fine without. I do know that when my mom's elderly aunt visited, my mom had cold cloths for her and cool water to keep her feet in.

I'm not being wonky here, but check how much of the world is climbing to joining the US in % of homes that have AC. Granted most are really hot, those higher up, sort of like AZ. ;) Still and all, only Europe has the 5% type of numbers and seriously lose 1000s yearly from heat.

Gunny
08-23-2019, 08:01 PM
Again, I'm not going to say it's impossible to live without it, I too grew up fine without. I do know that when my mom's elderly aunt visited, my mom had cold cloths for her and cool water to keep her feet in.

I'm not being wonky here, but check how much of the world is climbing to joining the US in % of homes that have AC. Granted most are really hot, those higher up, sort of like AZ. ;) Still and all, only Europe has the 5% type of numbers and seriously lose 1000s yearly from heat. How many would not have died if acclimatized to their natural environment rather than an artificial means of comfort?

Kathianne
08-23-2019, 08:05 PM
How many would not have died if acclimatized to their natural environment rather than an artificial means of comfort?

I actually think that the elderly, infants, and anyone with respiratory issues is at risk without HVAC. I guess we could look at it as culling the herd, but the same could be said about antibiotics and pasteurization.

For myself, back in IL with the rare exceptions of 90+ and crazy humid, I kept it off. Fan and windows worked fine. But when my mom was with me, on oxygen, it went on if needed at all.

Gunny
08-23-2019, 08:12 PM
I actually think that the elderly, infants, and anyone with respiratory issues is at risk without HVAC. I guess we could look at it as culling the herd, but the same could be said about antibiotics and pasteurization.

For myself, back in IL with the rare exceptions of 90+ and crazy humid, I kept it off. Fan and windows worked fine. But when my mom was with me, on oxygen, it went on if needed at all.I am not arguing against anyone having AC. I guess if you it, and you want to pay for it, use it.

I've just always found the topic interesting because we didn't have it. The heat affects me more than it did when I was younger. At the same time, I can hang out in it longer than most.

I remember summer in IL. Not quite the same animal :)

Kathianne
08-23-2019, 08:16 PM
I am not arguing against anyone having AC. I guess if you it, and you want to pay for it, use it.

I've just always found the topic interesting because we didn't have it. The heat affects me more than it did when I was younger. At the same time, I can hang out in it longer than most.

I remember summer in IL. Not quite the same animal :)

No, it's not AZ, which was my point. A couple days and more comfortable, would survive without it. My mom at the time she was sick? Unlikely.

Just because I have something, doesn't mean I have to use it all the time. Again, in IL always had a fireplace, it was not a necessity obviously. It was nice, we paid extra to have.

Gunny
08-23-2019, 08:31 PM
No, it's not AZ, which was my point. A couple days and more comfortable, would survive without it. My mom at the time she was sick? Unlikely.

Just because I have something, doesn't mean I have to use it all the time. Again, in IL always had a fireplace, it was not a necessity obviously. It was nice, we paid extra to have.LOL. Where I lived in IL we'd just go build a fire in the side yard :laugh:

Kathianne
08-23-2019, 08:34 PM
LOL. Where I lived in IL we'd just go build a fire in the side yard :laugh:

You stayed with the confederate sympathizers section of the state? ;) I was in deep burbs.

Gunny
08-23-2019, 08:50 PM
You stayed with the confederate sympathizers section of the state? ;) I was in deep burbs.Yep. Fulton COunty. Part of "Forgottonia". Real place. It's on wikipedia.

We had window units there and come about the end of September, they were coming out for the duration.

Here, I get to work out when it's 100. There? 0. :laugh:

Kathianne
08-23-2019, 08:53 PM
Yep. Fulton COunty. Part of "Forgottonia". Real place. It's on wikipedia.

We had window units there and come about the end of September, they were coming out for the duration.

Here, I get to work out when it's 100. There? 0. :laugh:

I seriously would not stay here without AC. No way! It's freaking hot! I need to use a towel to open my car door, get my mail out of box.

Gunny
08-23-2019, 09:01 PM
I seriously would not stay here without AC. No way! It's freaking hot! I need to use a towel to open my car door, get my mail out of box.That kind of stuff never bothered me much about the desert. We didn't have AC. We had a swamp cooler at home. On base at work? Fans. Long time ago. I'm trying to remember because I don't recall it slowing us down much at all.

That was like oven hot to me though. Too much humidity here. That's what makes you miserable. When it's 102 and I'm in the garage here, it's better than it being 96 when the humidity goes way up. At 102 it's pretty much going to burn off whether it wants to or not.

Kathianne
08-23-2019, 09:15 PM
That kind of stuff never bothered me much about the desert. We didn't have AC. We had a swamp cooler at home. On base at work? Fans. Long time ago. I'm trying to remember because I don't recall it slowing us down much at all.

That was like oven hot to me though. Too much humidity here. That's what makes you miserable. When it's 102 and I'm in the garage here, it's better than it being 96 when the humidity goes way up. At 102 it's pretty much going to burn off whether it wants to or not.

It's down to 99 right now, at 7:15, but went to 110, yesterday 113; day before 117. Hot. Humidity too has been higher than normal. Last night, lots of lightening, no rain.

Kathianne
08-25-2019, 01:49 PM
I wonder how many trees need to be planted for keeping all the royal estates comfortable?

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/08/20/pipe-down-elton-you-eco-snob/

Freaking funny how Elton John is all upset that the 'regs' are a bit of a tizzy over flights after he 'paid for carbon offsets.' Seems the regs are woke the wrong way! :laugh2:

I'll consider my impact on the climate when the wokes stop flinging their carbon footprints all around, while having others pay for planting trees.

Gunny
08-25-2019, 01:53 PM
I wonder how many trees need to be planted for keeping all the royal estates comfortable?

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/08/20/pipe-down-elton-you-eco-snob/

Freaking funny how Elton John is all upset that the 'regs' are a bit of a tizzy over flights after he 'paid for carbon offsets.' Seems the regs are woke the wrong way! :laugh2:

I'll consider my impact on the climate when the wokes stop flinging their carbon footprints all around, while having others pay for planting trees.Yet another plateful of BS from the left. Assuming there IS man-made global warming, what exactly does paying "carbon offsets" to the government do for the environment?:rolleyes:

Gunny
08-25-2019, 02:17 PM
Speaking of what I was saying about the heat: Yesterday we had clouds and humidity that didn't burn off (it actually finally rained last night). But I was sucking for air and soaking wet working out because of the air. Not to mention I had to go buy some sinus med.

Same workout when the humidity is low and the temp over 100 is easier for me to deal with.

Kathianne
08-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Speaking of what I was saying about the heat: Yesterday we had clouds and humidity that didn't burn off (it actually finally rained last night). But I was sucking for air and soaking wet working out because of the air. Not to mention I had to go buy some sinus med.

Same workout when the humidity is low and the temp over 100 is easier for me to deal with.

I'm fine, even with AZ's idea of high humidity up to about 105F. After that? Wilt.

Abbey Marie
08-25-2019, 02:27 PM
No A/C growing up in the humid, sweaty Bronx. We had one box fan, which my father kept trained on himself at all times.
:rolleyes:

I could not handle that now.

And STTAB, wth?

Gunny
08-25-2019, 02:30 PM
I'm fine, even with AZ's idea of high humidity up to about 105F. After that? Wilt.Our average daily summer temp in 29 Palms was 118. Again, it was oven-like heat. First summer I was there I was sitting outside the dry cleaners waiting on my ride and glanced up at the temp reading on the cleaner's sign: 121. And I was sitting on the curb in the jeans thinking nothing of it. I thought, "Well, guess I'm acclimatized now" :laugh:. Never heard of that before the desert but you weren't even allowed to go to unit PT for the first month you get assigned there. We worked from 6AM to 2PM during the summer. Different World.

Went from there to Okinawa where you stepped off the plane and it was like someone threw a wet blanket over your head :)

THIS, is NOT a user-friendly place to live climate-wise. One tends to forget that when living all over the World and the topic "home" comes up.