PDA

View Full Version : What's your back story?

typomaniac
09-05-2007, 12:59 PM
This is a little bit like the Intros thread, but it focuses on our past.

Tell the other DPers where you're from originally, why you made some of the big life-choices you've made, how you got interested in politics... you know, things like that. What happened in the past to make you who you are today?

Who wants to start?

Said1
09-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Who wants to start?

Looks like no one, unless you're up for it. :laugh2:

09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
its got alittle hair and usually out of place.

typomaniac
09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Sure, why not? :)
In the beginning, God created typomaniac. And He saw that not only was it good, it kicked ass.

On the second day, God created man - and woman - to serve typomaniac.

On the third day, God created the plants and animals of the Earth, to serve as food for typomaniac.

On the fourth day, God created honest toil so that man could labor for the good of typomaniac.

On the fifth day, God created organized leagues of team sports, so that typomaniac could gamble when the whim suited him.

On the sixth day, God created medical science to keep typomaniac healthy and man broke.

On the seventh day, God tried to rest, but typomaniac wouldn't leave Him alone until he got a guided tour of the universe.

On the eighth day, God believeth that He was done, but Lo! the Garden of Eden was full of empty beer cans and pretzel bags. Adam & Eve, having been banished from the Garden, no longer dwelleth therein to serve typomaniac, so it came to pass that He had to clean the mess up Himself. And God was displeased.

On the ninth day, God sayeth unto the Heavens, "Who hath domain here, me or typomaniac"?

On the tenth day, God came upon typomaniac seated upon His Throne and abideth there unmoving, despite all His beseeching. And so it came to pass that God had His answer.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

darin
09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Tell the other DPers where you're from originally

Born in Seattle, WA...Still from this area. :)

why you made some of the big life-choices you've made

Big life choices:

1) Join the army - I didn't want to join. I had to fight against EVERY URGE IN MY BODY and FORCE, by a matter of sheer determination, to enlist. I cried that day, and that night. But...I had to. So I did.

2) Get married - Tis better than being a horndog. :) Course, I still AM...but not as sinful.

3) Have Kids - Being a Father is a calling; I felt called.

4) Buy a Mazda RX8 - OMG it's SEXY...and drives like no-other car. :)

how you got interested in politics

I'm not particularly interested in politics. I'm here because 5stringJeff invited me to usmessageboard.com. I like people and developing relationships, so I remain.

What happened in the past to make you who you are today?

I don't claim to be 'anybody'.

April15
09-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Tell the other DPers where you're from originally, why you made some of the big life-choices you've made, how you got interested in politics... you know, things like that. What happened in the past to make you who you are today?

Who wants to start?So many things have happened to me I am writing a book about it. Not yet but soon.

gabosaurus
09-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I am an educated and opinionated female. Which scares many ConReps, who are opposed to the idea of women being educated and opinionated.
I also tend to disagree with people. Which bothers who don't feel they should be disagreed with.
My parents raised me to ask questions and see through bullshit. Which is why I am not a Republican. Since they are brought up to obey authority.
I oppose bigotry and hatred. Which puts me in conflict with those who enjoy such.

dan
09-05-2007, 09:48 PM
My story is boring.

I was born in New Jersey, then moved down to South Carolina when I was eleven. My grandmother had died and my grandfather couldn't really take care of himself, and my Dad had just retired and wanted to get out of Jersey, anyway (he worked for the Department of Transportation and was done with dealing with snowy winters).

When I was 18, I moved to Aiken, which is almost on the GA/SC border, and went to college at USC-Aiken. I graduated and got my degree in English, and I'm now an editor at Best Lawyers. I am also seriously trying to pursue a career as a writer, and sometime soon, I'm going to be moving out of SC (possibly back north?).

I haven't had many big life-choices. I'm only 24, and my life's been pretty slow, all things considered.

Politically, I suppose I'd be a liberal. I'm not terribly interested in politics, though, and that's not why I come here. Well, the main reason I first came to this board (or its previous incarnation) was to keep in touch with family (I'm Jimnyc's little brother, I think most people on here know that by now).

So, that's my story I guess. Exciting, huh?

darin
09-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I am an educated and opinionated female. Which scares many ConReps, who are opposed to the idea of women being educated and opinionated.
I also tend to disagree with people. Which bothers who don't feel they should be disagreed with.
My parents raised me to ask questions and see through bullshit. Which is why I am not a Republican. Since they are brought up to obey authority.
I oppose bigotry and hatred. Which puts me in conflict with those who enjoy such.

Only YOU could take a benign Forum Topic and turn it into partisan bullshit.

Gaffer
09-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Only YOU could take a benign Forum Topic and turn it into partisan bullshit.

Well I had a response for her but decided against it in honor of the request to keep it to legit posts about our background.

diuretic
09-05-2007, 10:02 PM
My story is boring.

I was born in New Jersey, then moved down to South Carolina when I was eleven. My grandmother had died and my grandfather couldn't really take care of himself, and my Dad had just retired and wanted to get out of Jersey, anyway (he worked for the Department of Transportation and was done with dealing with snowy winters).

When I was 18, I moved to Aiken, which is almost on the GA/SC border, and went to college at USC-Aiken. I graduated and got my degree in English, and I'm now an editor at Best Lawyers. I am also seriously trying to pursue a career as a writer, and sometime soon, I'm going to be moving out of SC (possibly back north?).

I haven't had many big life-choices. I'm only 24, and my life's been pretty slow, all things considered.

Politically, I suppose I'd be a liberal. I'm not terribly interested in politics, though, and that's not why I come here. Well, the main reason I first came to this board (or its previous incarnation) was to keep in touch with family (I'm Jimnyc's little brother, I think most people on here know that by now).

So, that's my story I guess. Exciting, huh?

Do write and keep writing, it's one of the greatest arts.

diuretic
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM

Please don't end up like Germaine Greer.

manu1959
09-05-2007, 10:13 PM

Who wants to start?

originally from northern california....live in the town i grew up in

went to university...tried to play professional futbol.....failed....became an architect....got married had kids.....

father was politicians....godfather was RNC chair....brother worked in reagan bush whitehouse......

my past made me who i am.....

Gaffer
09-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Born in northern Indiana near the lake in 1947. Raised in a small town until 1961 when we moved to California. Lived about two miles from Disneyland. The Cowsils lived in the house behind us. They were only there a few months then moved so I never really got to know them.

Graduated high school in 65. Got a job and bought a drum set and a short time later had a band. Then in 66 I got drafted. Went to Ft Ord CA for basic training. Then to Ft Polk LA for jungle training at Tigerland. Landed in Vietnam on Christmas Eve 66. Assigned to 2/1 Infantry Regiment (the oldest regiment in the army) 196th Light Infantry Brigade. Never saw Saigon, but saw the Iron Triangle, Cambodia and the Central Highlands. We weren't suppose to be in Cambodia.

After the Army I worked at a couple of jobs. Started college in 69 and got married. Trinity was born in 70. In 73 the bottom fell out of the aerospace industry and I was laid off. Decided I might as well go back in the service. Having seen how the Air Force lived in Vietnam and having a family I decided that was the way to go. They sent me to Biloxi MS. And made me a Air Traffic Controller. Then sent me to Rickenbacker in Oh. I didn't like ATC and got a transfer to the information office where I became editor of the base newspaper.

Carter was president in 77 so I got out of the Air Force and finshed college at the same time. Criminal Justice major with AA and BA.

Went to work for the prison system at the old Ohio Pen. It's torn down now. It had been around since the civil war. Got divorced in 81 and moved down near Cincinnati. I got the kids and she never paid any child support.

Became a deputy sheriff in 84. And got married again. In 92 the second wife took off. I left the sheriff's department. Too much nepotism. Moved to South Carolina for a while and Florida, then out to Missouri and Washington state. Lived on an island in Puget Sound And finally came back to Ohio in 2001.

Trinity told me I was not allowed to go gallivanting around the country anymore. In Dec. 2002 I had a heart attack and had quadruple by pass surgery.

That's the nutshell version.

darin
09-05-2007, 10:45 PM
WOW..Gaffer...which island?

I've a pal in Independence, KY - if I stop in to visit him, I'll holler atcha!

:beers: to you.

FWIW - you're two years younger than my MOM!

:)

Kathianne
09-05-2007, 11:41 PM
I just have to say, I love Gaffer. He graduated high school about the time I got out of having to use a step stool to reach the door knob.

I've lived most of my life in one Chicago suburb, Elmhurst. My brother is deputy chief of police there. I became a teacher by default, never wanted to be. After 9 years full-time, 13 total, I realized I'm damned good at this. Modest too.

I've three successful children, though they owe it to themselves, not me.

Right this minute I've got huge prayers going for my nephew, but when God decides that outcome, I know I'm ready to move on.

Gaffer
09-06-2007, 11:11 AM
WOW..Gaffer...which island?

I've a pal in Independence, KY - if I stop in to visit him, I'll holler atcha!

:beers: to you.

FWIW - you're two years younger than my MOM!

:)

San Juan Island. Cool place, I was there when that earth quack hit Seatle.

Independence is about an hour from me. So if your over this way give me a shout.

Trinity
09-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Born in northern Indiana near the lake in 1947. Raised in a small town until 1961 when we moved to California. Lived about two miles from Disneyland. The Cowsils lived in the house behind us. They were only there a few months then moved so I never really got to know them.

Graduated high school in 65. Got a job and bought a drum set and a short time later had a band. Then in 66 I got drafted. Went to Ft Ord CA for basic training. Then to Ft Polk LA for jungle training at Tigerland. Landed in Vietnam on Christmas Eve 66. Assigned to 2/1 Infantry Regiment (the oldest regiment in the army) 196th Light Infantry Brigade. Never saw Saigon, but saw the Iron Triangle, Cambodia and the Central Highlands. We weren't suppose to be in Cambodia.

After the Army I worked at a couple of jobs. Started college in 69 and got married. Trinity was born in 70. In 73 the bottom fell out of the aerospace industry and I was laid off. Decided I might as well go back in the service. Having seen how the Air Force lived in Vietnam and having a family I decided that was the way to go. They sent me to Biloxi MS. And made me a Air Traffic Controller. Then sent me to Rickenbacker in Oh. I didn't like ATC and got a transfer to the information office where I became editor of the base newspaper.

Carter was president in 77 so I got out of the Air Force and finshed college at the same time. Criminal Justice major with AA and BA.

Went to work for the prison system at the old Ohio Pen. It's torn down now. It had been around since the civil war. Got divorced in 81 and moved down near Cincinnati. I got the kids and she never paid any child support.

Became a deputy sheriff in 84. And got married again. In 92 the second wife took off. I left the sheriff's department. Too much nepotism. Moved to South Carolina for a while and Florida, then out to Missouri and Washington state. Lived on an island in Puget Sound And finally came back to Ohio in 2001.

Trinity told me I was not allowed to go gallivanting around the country anymore. In Dec. 2002 I had a heart attack and had quadruple by pass surgery.

That's the nutshell version.

and he is not allowed to go gallivanting around the country anymore....

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Trinity
09-06-2007, 11:42 AM
my story hmmm where to start......

I was born in Garden Grove California and lived there till I was 3 then went gallivanting around the country because my father was in the AF ended up in Columbus Ohio around the age of I don't remember ask Gaffer.

About the age of 12 I became a very stubborn and bull headed child no wait I take that back I had always been that way. so any way around the age of 14 I decided that I needed to go gallivanting around the country with my then boyfriend who was considerably older then I. I ended up back in Cali. twice, Florida, Georgia, and then finally back to Ohio when I divorced the loser after marrying his dumb ass but hey I was young!

So then I meet asshole number 2 once again at a very young age and married him as well I ended up having 2 children from the first marriage who are almost 21(girl) and 19(boy) now. I then ended up having 2 more with the second who are now 11(boy) and almost 9(boy). After years of hell with the 2nd asshole I finally got some balls told him to go F himself and filed for divorce. (Some of you I am sure recall that period)

Currently I am remarried for the third time to the most wonderful man in the world! I am also working on a BS in psychology. My kids are all doing very well. and Dad is getting his pension check soon! Life is wonderful.....until next week when something screws it up. Just kidding!:coffee:

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 11:51 AM

typomaniac
09-06-2007, 12:05 PM

I was born in Garden Grove California and lived there till I was 3 then went gallivanting around the country because my father was in the AF ended up in Columbus Ohio around the age of I don't remember ask Gaffer.

About the age of 12 I became a very stubborn and bull headed child no wait I take that back I had always been that way. so any way around the age of 14 I decided that I needed to go gallivanting around the country with my then boyfriend who was considerably older then I. I ended up back in Cali. twice, Florida, Georgia, and then finally back to Ohio when I divorced the loser after marrying his dumb ass but hey I was young!

So then I meet asshole number 2 once again at a very young age and married him as well I ended up having 2 children from the first marriage who are almost 21(girl) and 19(boy) now. I then ended up having 2 more with the second who are now 11(boy) and almost 9(boy). After years of hell with the 2nd asshole I finally got some balls told him to go F himself and filed for divorce. (Some of you I am sure recall that period)

Currently I am remarried for the third time to the most wonderful man in the world! I am also working on a BS in psychology. My kids are all doing very well. and Dad is getting his pension check soon! Life is wonderful.....until next week when something screws it up. Just kidding!:coffee:

The third time? Well, at least it's good to see that there are optimists in this world.
:clap:

Trinity
09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
I love that you guys post on the same site.

My Dad is gone now and he was never much into politics.

My MOM is still hanging in there (I still send her money) but it is very hard for us to talk politics because she gets angry when people dont agree with her opinion.

She lives near my little sister and helps watch her three kids.

Yeah I know that feeling my Mom and I don't discuss politics..... it is not a pretty site......... ask my husband, he will usually dart out of the room if either of us mentions anything regarding politics.:laugh2:

Monkeybone
09-06-2007, 12:10 PM
mine is short since i am young i guess.

Born and raised by a lake in Northern Indiana (props to homeboy Gaffer). have a decent sized family (counting the cousins and all) which i grew up with and we are all close knit. mom and dad were the good kinda parents, strict and would disipline me when the time called for it, but other than that let me do what i wanted (until i broke their trust and then would have to gain it back). mom works for a college and dad is a cop. love to hunt and camp. played soccer in high school and stopped my junior year. went to college for a bit and found that i didn't like it and such. started working at a hospital and have been there for about 3 years. i want to join the service and serve my country. that is about it

Trinity
09-06-2007, 12:12 PM
The third time? Well, at least it's good to see that there are optimists in this world.
:clap:

I have always been an optimist which is probably why my other 2 marriages didn't work. I was optimistic that I could change them, big mistake, which I learned after years of trial and error. Never go into a relationship thinking you can change someone, you will never be happy.

gabosaurus
09-06-2007, 12:33 PM
I am only 23, so I don't have much of a back story.
My parents were educated 60's hippies. They both have college degrees. They were also hellions who met at a protest rally.
My life has been influenced by many factors. My parents were stern disciplinarians. My older sister was determined not to allow me to repeat her youthful mistakes. I inherited bi-polar disorder from my mom and have suffered through depression. I have had various female-related disorders that once brought me closer to death than I am comfortable with.
I met this geeky, nerdy guy when I was a sophomore in high school and he was a senior. I have totally screwed up our relationship numerous times, but he refused to get rid of me. Instead, he married me. For which I will be eternally grateful.
Those who read my posts now are getting the kinder, gentler Gab. Jim and other vets of the previous board might remember the more radical incarnation of me.
That's what happens when you marry a Republican. :lmao:

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Monkeybone
09-06-2007, 01:11 PM
wow gabs, i pictured you as an older crazy person not a young one.:laugh:

jackass
09-06-2007, 01:49 PM

Ohhh...I thought you were going to continue the streak and say you married Jimbo!! Hehe. Just kidding. Thats alot of living you have done!

Mr. P
09-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Born in 1957 the sixth child of high school sweet hearts in Kansas City Kansas.

At two moved to southern California.

Lived a chaotic life of moving every year very often in the middle of hte school year.

My Father was a decent man but he was a verbally abusive functional alcoholic.He always had a job(construction) but always managed to make poor decisions(alcohol).

Another sister in 67.

Another brother in 68.

High school in Oceanside California managed to live in one place until I graduated early and moved out of the house the day I turned 18(tired of being a verbal punching bag).

Moved to Riverside Cal and put my self through college while suplimenting my parents income(little bro and sis still at home).Ran a college boarding house, went to school and worked.

Married in 86.
Son born in 88.
Bought first home 89.
Bought second home 95.
son now in college.

those are the basics.

We have something in common that only those who have "been there" can truly understand. Besides verbally abusive, mine was also violent.

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 02:00 PM

Mr. P
09-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Mine only hit me once when I grabbed his wrist because he was threating to hit my brother who was 16 and I was 15.

I grabbed his wrist and looked him straight in the face and said "Dont you hit my brother".

He knocked me to the floor against a wall, I jumped up and leared him face to face and he had this look in his face like "what the hell".

He did not hit my brother that night.

It's HELL to grow-up that way, but there are positives as odd as that may sound.

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 07:53 PM

Mr. P
09-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Its no fun but if you survive it intact you can walk away feeling like NO one can hurt you.
I at 5'4" have stood toe to toe with two different drug dealers who were 6'+ ,300lbs and screamed them out of my nieghborhood(scared the shit out of my hubby). Its my automatic reaction to someone trying to intimidate me.
You are right about no one understanding except someone who has been there though.

I cant count the times people will be talking about their childhood and I will just ask them questions and comment on theirs and never say aything about mine because people really do not want to hear about it.

Its like not having a childhood.

Exactly! We didn't have a childhood, we were problem solvers, peace makers and constantly ON Guard.

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 08:27 PM

diuretic
09-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm always a bit reticent at revealing too much of myself on forums, there are reasons for that (local reasons, I'm not an axe murderer or something). But it's churlish to read others' personal histories and not contribute, it's a bit like being a peeping tom.

I've lived in Australia for 45 of my 57 years, I was born in the UK and moved here at 15 and I love this country and am naturalised and can't think of anywhere else in the world I'd rather live (although a few years ago Bend, Oregon really called me when I was there). I'm a cop here, have been since I was 20 and still working at it (not operational now though). We only have state and territory (and one federal) police forces because we have a big country and a very small population (21 million).

Any more than that you'll need to beat me with a rubber hose :laugh2:

Oh, just one thing. My passion is adult education. I went to university as a "mature age student" and got some undergraduate an postgraduate degrees in adult education and until this year taught at our version of community college for several years an enjoyed it immensely.

Abbey Marie
09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Exactly! We didn't have a childhood, we were problem solvers, peace makers and constantly ON Guard.

Minus the drinking, I can totally relate.

manu1959
09-06-2007, 08:31 PM
We have something in common that only those who have "been there" can truly understand. Besides verbally abusive, mine was also violent.

been there done that....

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 08:40 PM

diuretic
09-06-2007, 08:44 PM
That is part of my plans in retirement . Live near a community college and survey classes and hang with the young people. I love people that age and hope to be able to encourage some young people on to better things.

Most of my students were adults, youngest was in her twenties from memory. I did have to take a semester of adolescents who had just finished high school and were bridging into community college and then to university. My respect for high school teachers reached stratospheric heights after that semester. I think it was the most difficult teaching assignment I'd ever undertaken. Once I got used to the fact that 90% of the class had piercings in parts of the body I could see and couldn't see (and wouldn't have wanted to) I had to work with a Gen Y attitude. I'm glad it was part-time, if it had been full-time I'd have had a nervous breakdown. Give me a madman with a gun any day rather than a sullen and difficult adolescent :laugh2:

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 08:48 PM

diuretic
09-06-2007, 08:51 PM
That is the fun of community college they are all ages but most are young and searching unlike the University kids who usually have money, are all 19 and on top of the world at being away from home.

Scared the heck out of me I can tell you. Forty sullen faces, glinting with bits of metal, staring at me with a "show us what you've got in your intellectual arsenal there buster" looks on their faces.....*shiver*.....Thing is that I remember that attitude when I was in undergraduate classes at university. We have three universities in my city so it's not usual for students to go to another city interstate unless it's for a specific qualification (vet science is only at two universities, neither of them in my city, for example). But I take your point.

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 08:53 PM

diuretic
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
What were you teaching?

A bunch of criminal justice and legal subjects.

truthmatters
09-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Mr. P
09-06-2007, 10:28 PM
been there done that....

I know, I remember you saying so in the past. There are more than a few of us here.

JackDaniels
09-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I just have to say, I love Gaffer. He graduated high school about the time I got out of having to use a step stool to reach the door knob.

I've lived most of my life in one Chicago suburb, Elmhurst. My brother is deputy chief of police there. I became a teacher by default, never wanted to be. After 9 years full-time, 13 total, I realized I'm damned good at this. Modest too.

I've three successful children, though they owe it to themselves, not me.

Right this minute I've got huge prayers going for my nephew, but when God decides that outcome, I know I'm ready to move on.

I can't believe after all the mean things said on USMB (Where I post as JeffWartman), the entire time, we were sitting in the same goddamn town.

LOL...wow

(I'm originally from the south suburbs, but have lived full time the last four years in Elmhurst. living in a dorm at Elmhurst College...I graduated in May, glad to be out, now in the south west burbs)

Kathianne
09-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I can't believe after all the mean things said on USMB (Where I post as JeffWartman), the entire time, we were sitting in the same goddamn town.

LOL...wow

(I'm originally from the south suburbs, but have lived full time the last four years in Elmhurst. living in a dorm at Elmhurst College...I graduated in May, glad to be out, now in the south west burbs)

Pretty weird for sure. Elmhurst is a great city, but the dorms suck. My history degree is from there, though I had my own home when that was earned.

In a way, I'm sorry that I hadn't attended there when young. But having spent my high school years with 'college boys' from there, just really didn't seem ideal.

York rocks! LOL

diuretic
09-07-2007, 12:15 AM
It would seem a natural interest for Kids that age though?

They were exploring careers in the justice system - I know a couple went on to university to study law (here it's an undergrad degree - Bachelor of Laws, the Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice is required for them to practise). One went to Corrections, several went to police, some to courts and I think most of the others would have found something else.

JackDaniels
09-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Pretty weird for sure. Elmhurst is a great city, but the dorms suck. My history degree is from there, though I had my own home when that was earned.

In a way, I'm sorry that I hadn't attended there when young. But having spent my high school years with 'college boys' from there, just really didn't seem ideal.

York rocks! LOL

Well, I lived for 1 year in Schick, which was nice because the rooms were big, but no A/C really sucked. The next 3 years I lived in North Hall, which was brand new and absolutely awesome. They are making a lot of changes at EC, and I hope it will be for the better.

Elmhurst itself is an absolutely beautiful town. I worked part time at the T-Mobile dealer next to the Pier 1 across from Kohls at the corner of 83 and St. Charles Rd. Although 99% of my time was spent in Fitz's or buying beer at Corner Cottage Liquors on North Av :)