PDA

View Full Version : Japan Steps Up To Help US In China Trade War

Kathianne
08-25-2019, 12:20 PM
If Trump could get more agreements from countries that have been our allies but are having trouble trusting US now, it may work out. The farmers have been disproportionally hit by the tit-for-tats:

https://www.teletrader.com/us-japan-agree-trade-deal-in-principle/news/details/49263087?ts=1566753393499

8/25, 6:28 AM US, Japan agree trade deal 'in principle'

The United States and Japan have agreed a tentative trade deal, President Donald Trump said on Sunday.

Japan will buy excess US corn under the terms of the deal, according to Trump. However, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said that some work on the agreement's wording and context still had to be done. Media reported that it could be signed at the United Nations General Assembly to be held next month.

Kathianne
08-25-2019, 12:22 PM
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/25/us-japan-reach-trade-deal-agreement/

The U.S. and Japan have agreed in principle on a trade deal worth “billions and billions of dollars,” President Trump said Sunday.

Mr. Trump said parties will likely sign the deal around the U.N. General Assembly in September.

Japan will buy up America’s corn surplus as part of the deal. Some tariffs on Japanese goods will be removed, though existing levies on autos will remain.

“It’s a very big transaction, and we’ve agreed in principle. It’s billions and billions of dollars. Tremendous for the farmers,” Mr. Trump said in an impromptu session with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the Group of Seven summit in France.

“We’re very far down the line. We’ve agreed to every point, and now we’re papering it and we’ll be signing it at a formal ceremony,” the president added.

Gunny
08-25-2019, 12:25 PM
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/25/us-japan-reach-trade-deal-agreement/I like Japan. They may have been a pain in the ass, but all in all, if they are loyal to you, it's loyal to death.

It helps that they hate the Chinese (and Koreans) :)

Kathianne
08-25-2019, 12:37 PM
I like Japan. They may have been a pain in the ass, but all in all, if they are loyal to you, it's loyal to death.

It helps that they hate the Chinese (and Koreans) :)

Japan's economy has been harder hit than most of our allies, yet for reasons-some of which include their being under immediate Chinese threat, they see the reason to create a coalition against.

I think Europe and other allies see why too, especially Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc.

However, an ally that relishes being an agent of choas, a 'wrecking ball to the old order,' especially for those that differ in temperament from some Americans who do like the ideas that may lie behind the ruins, is a chancy bet.

I do think there are many reasons to put forward for a coalition working to forcing China to conform to international norms, but the allies would need to be convinced that Xi couldn't just flatter the #1 dealer to joining forces with him and Kim to usher in 'A new era in commerce!'

Gunny
08-25-2019, 12:49 PM
Japan's economy has been harder hit than most of our allies, yet for reasons-some of which include their being under immediate Chinese threat, they see the reason to create a coalition against.

I think Europe and other allies see why too, especially Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc.

However, an ally that relishes being an agent of choas, a 'wrecking ball to the old order,' especially for those that differ in temperament from some Americans who do like the ideas that may lie behind the ruins, is a chancy bet.

I do think there are many reasons to put forward for a coalition working to forcing China to conform to international norms, but the allies would need to be convinced that Xi couldn't just flatter the #1 dealer to joining forces with him and Kim to usher in 'A new era in commerce!'It would take me at least a day to try and explain Japan. It is part of their culture to be loyal to the death. After MacArthur was credited for beating Japan in WWII, after he instilled his version of the Marshall Plan in Japan, the Japanese basically worshiped him. It is not Trump they are loyal to, it's the US.

The Japanese are going to hate the Koreans, Kim or no. They always have and feelings are mutual. Japan supports S Korea solely because it is in Japan's interest to do so.

As far as the rest goes? I don't want another paper tiger, international coalition on anything. IMO, China's being beaten the only way it's going to be.

While I am all for the President even out trade disparity, I don't care much for his manners, nor him trying to do it all at once. We can't take on the entire world and win no matter who thinks otherwise.

Kathianne
08-25-2019, 12:56 PM
It would take me at least a day to try and explain Japan. It is part of their culture to be loyal to the death. After MacArthur was credited for beating Japan in WWII, after he instilled his version of the Marshall Plan in Japan, the Japanese basically worshiped him. It is not Trump they are loyal to, it's the US.

The Japanese are going to hate the Koreans, Kim or no. They always have and feelings are mutual. Japan supports S Korea solely because it is in Japan's interest to do so.

As far as the rest goes? I don't want another paper tiger, international coalition on anything. IMO, China's being beaten the only way it's going to be.

While I am all for the President even out trade disparity, I don't care much for his manners, nor him trying to do it all at once. We can't take on the entire world and win no matter who thinks otherwise.

I'm not going to pretend to 'understand' all the nuances of someone who's lived in Japan. My knowledge is mostly academic and having spoken with many Japanese, including those who've studied Japan and American relations, both from historical and political perspectives.

If you read what I wrote, I'm acknowledging the loyalty to US you refer to above. In spite of being a target of Chinese future aggression and their own economic problems, Japan has been the first to do more than say, "China must be dealt with, but how does pissing it off help MY COUNTRY?" That's what we're getting from the Western allies, which I understand, as that is also how I'd expect the US to react if it was say, the Germans that had begun a trade war with China.

The Japanese ARE different.

Gunny
08-25-2019, 01:51 PM
I'm not going to pretend to 'understand' all the nuances of someone who's lived in Japan. My knowledge is mostly academic and having spoken with many Japanese, including those who've studied Japan and American relations, both from historical and political perspectives.

If you read what I wrote, I'm acknowledging the loyalty to US you refer to above. In spite of being a target of Chinese future aggression and their own economic problems, Japan has been the first to do more than say, "China must be dealt with, but how does pissing it off help MY COUNTRY?" That's what we're getting from the Western allies, which I understand, as that is also how I'd expect the US to react if it was say, the Germans that had begun a trade war with China.

The Japanese ARE different.The Japanese are very much different. Recall the "couple of choices to live outside the US" I mentioned in another thread awhile back? Okinawa is #1 on the list. I like the culture and the people. Damned sure a LOT more civilized and polite than we are. Other side of the coin, they are way more efficient and barbaric when push comes to shove than we are.

I get your point about "what's in it for me". It was awhile back, I think when Trump first started with the tariffs and strong-arming others to support them that I voiced my displeasure with his bullying others to get what he wants for us. Even in the case if Iran, it's not for us to say who deals with Iran, only how WE deal with Iran. And that is how we are viewed by the rest of the world: bullies.

At the same time, I completely agree with addressing trade imbalance that is not in our favor. While these other countries act all put out and like we're doing them dirty, they really HAVE had the best of us since WWII. We've forgiven debts, taken the short end on trade and pumped billions all over the world. If you're our ally? We got your defense covered.

Think the Japanese aren't getting anything out of us? We spend trillions on their defense. I also know for a fact (at least used to be) that in order for us to maintain our bases in Oki and Japan, we agree to employ a certain number of their civilians. At least they are good workers :) Our bases were crawling with them. I figured the deal was 3 Japanese for every job :laugh:

While the places you mention are kind of stuck to with us for their own safety, they ARE paying for or should be that safety. At the same time, we have a perimeter that is "over there" not "over here".

I would have been much more amenable to addressing the issue(s) had Trump not walked in with a big stick and threatened everyone right off the bat. That's not quite what Teddy's words say.

jimnyc
08-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Great news!

---

President Trump Reaches Historic Trade Deal with Japan

President Donald Trump is attending the G7 Summit in Biarritz, France this weekend.

The liberal mainstream media was pretty certain this would be a complete disaster and that the countries were at odds. This is what they reported for several days before the summit began.

Then President Trump dropped this wonderful news on Sunday.

President Trump announced a historic trade deal with Japan, America’s third largest international market.

The deal will open up billions in additional trade with Japan. This is also a huge blow to the Chinese who refuse to deal with President Trump.

https://i.imgur.com/TkewD3p.png

President Trump met with Japanese leader Shinzo Abe on Sunday to make the announcement.

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/08/breaking-big-news-president-trump-reaches-historic-trade-deal-with-japan-video/

Gunny
08-25-2019, 05:04 PM
Pssst jimnyc

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?67500-Japan-Steps-Up-To-Help-US-In-China-Trade-War

jimnyc
08-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Pssst jimnyc

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?67500-Japan-Steps-Up-To-Help-US-In-China-Trade-War

You were saying what? Homosayswhat?

Gunny
08-25-2019, 05:50 PM
You were saying what? Homosayswhat?Just making sure you were aware. You ARE almost 50 y'know ...:whistling2:

jimnyc
08-25-2019, 05:57 PM
Just making sure you were aware. You ARE almost 50 y'know ...:whistling2:

I merged them. And I wasn't aware of the original thread. And I turned 51 in July! :laugh:

Gunny
08-25-2019, 06:25 PM
I merged them. And I wasn't aware of the original thread. And I turned 51 in July! :laugh:At the risk of ruining my perfect record not complimenting you, you don't look 51. I thought you were still in your 40s. Damn, time flies :)