PDA

View Full Version : If I Could Cite One Man Responsible For The Failure Of Our Civic Education

Kathianne
08-25-2019, 03:17 PM
System, it would be Howard Zinn.

Take a look at nearly any textbook from 1977 on and you'll find his name in the editors. He started revisionist history, the results have culminated thus far in the 1619 project:

https://spectator.org/the-case-against-howard-zinn/

The Case Against Howard Zinn
by ROBERT STACY MCCAIN
August 2, 2010, 12:00 AM

oward Zinn was teaching a class, but he wasn’t yet a professor and his classroom wasn’t at a university. It was late 1951, and the students who gathered for Zinn’s lessons in Brooklyn were his fellow members of the Communist Party USA.

One of Zinn’s comrades described him as “a person with some authority” within the local CPUSA section and said that Zinn’s class was on “basic Marxism,” the theme being “that the basic teachings of Marx and Lenin were sound and should be adhered to by those present.”

That description, furnished to the Federal Bureau of Investigation by a former Communist in 1957, is included in more than 400 pages of Zinn’s FBI file made public last week.

The FBI files demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that Zinn — author of A People’s History of the United States, widely used as a textbook or supplement in many of our nation’s high schools and universities — was a card-carrying Communist at a time when the Soviet Union was America’s most dreaded enemy.

Gunny
08-25-2019, 08:44 PM
System, it would be Howard Zinn.

Take a look at nearly any textbook from 1977 on and you'll find his name in the editors. He started revisionist history, the results have culminated thus far in the 1619 project:

https://spectator.org/the-case-against-howard-zinn/That 1619 Project must REALLY piss you off :laugh: Thing is, it's the tip of the iceberg. Or perhaps what they perceive to be their crowning achievement.

Even if it doesn't sell to the masses, but sells enough to cause dissension and confusion, it's a win for them.

Kathianne
08-25-2019, 08:56 PM
That 1619 Project must REALLY piss you off :laugh: Thing is, it's the tip of the iceberg. Or perhaps what they perceive to be their crowning achievement.

Even if it doesn't sell to the masses, but sells enough to cause dissension and confusion, it's a win for them.

It's already a 'win' the young teachers are thrilled with their lesson plans and while several, including myself have spoken about the dangers of 'revisionism' it's shrugged off as going too principled and history, like the Constitution is a living thing. (Seriously, it's all Zinn.)

Gunny
08-25-2019, 09:27 PM
It's already a 'win' the young teachers are thrilled with their lesson plans and while several, including myself have spoken about the dangers of 'revisionism' it's shrugged off as going too principled and history, like the Constitution is a living thing. (Seriously, it's all Zinn.)Yeah. I know. There's no slippery slope. They promise :rolleyes:

So what's the thing the country is sliding downhill on?

Maybe this will cheer you up :)

My 11th grade American History teacher, Mrs Bernstein. She was something else. I on the other hand, was most noted for NOT being there :laugh: I would miss as many days as possible without a fail, without fail :) I was also a long-haired evil weed smoker and trying to find a career in it. So I come tooling up on the 8th day of class and report in to Mrs Bernstein. I'm high as Hell and she's getting all in my butt then finishes with "You got a 50 question exam waiting inside for you" with required smirk.

How to piss off Mrs Bernstein in a few easy moves :): Took me about 15 minutes to complete first a test I started last and score 100%. WRONG PLAN! :laugh2:

I thought for a second she was actually going to grab me by the ear but she took me out in hall and let me have it with both barrels. HOW DARE I? She's got kids that are going to failt he test that studied their butts off yada, yada, yada. I really DID feel like crap when she got done.

SO mid-terms roll around and it's a 100 questions, closed book. I walked into class so high I couldn't feel the floor. (not bragging -- retelling and LMAO @ myself) It wasn't on purpose. Never was in those days. I got 100 out of 100. Had competition too. Bernstein had set me down right next to class brain and said I'd never outscore her. I wasn't THAT high :)

So I walk into summer school thinking it's going to be a breeze and who is waiting? Mrs Bernstein :( She hands me a stack of papers and tells me to finish it over the weekend and I'm grading papers the rest of the summer. Wasn't much. Just the entire class for the next 9 weeks. In a weekend ON a weekend :(

I have all the respect in the world for that woman. :)

Gunny
08-26-2019, 07:55 AM
So much for old home week :)

So tell me Kathianne because I am not getting what exactly you are after here. Agreement? Not like you. A solution? I'm sure mine's as good as yours.

I noted in another thread you said Trump could fix education. I don't see that any more than him "draining the swamp". The Dept of Education is part of the bureaucracy, controlled by civilian government employees who are notorious DC liberal homesteaders sucking off the government dime. This 1619 Project apparently started when WE were still in HS. I was anyway :) :poke:

They have slowly insinuated it into public education, flying under the radar as the left usually does when its up to no good and doesn't want anyone else to notice. 40 years later and I have never heard of it. This is a prime example of the MSM brainwashing our society into what to think.

I find history fascinating, mostly from a military perspective. Go figure :) I'd as soon pick up a history book and read it as any other kind of book. I am always amazed that as smart as people believe they are, they always let their politics and personal desires erase any lessons learned from history. It's all right there and we just keep repeating it. Watching the left roll us down the slope is nothing new. It's been repeated over and again and perfectly good societies otherwise destroyed because of it.

In the military, minus politician involvement, strategy and tactics is based on history. We still studied Napoleon, Alexander, Julius Caesar, Robert E Lee et al. When you see colse order drill (like drill teams -- what civilians call marching) is Napoleonic and is still used for moving a formation of Marines in an orderly efficient manner from one place to another.

Then there's the SIL's son. He thinks WWII was fought between the crew of Das Boot and the Russians over sunken gold :rolleyes:

If you have a VIABLE solution I'm all ears. It's stupidity and I'd love nothing more than to stop it but I don't have much clout :laugh:

Kathianne
08-26-2019, 08:57 AM
So much for old home week :)

So tell me @Kathianne (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=8) because I am not getting what exactly you are after here. Agreement? Not like you. A solution? I'm sure mine's as good as yours.

I noted in another thread you said Trump could fix education(Nope, I said Education was the problem of why we are in the state the country is.) I don't see that any more than him "draining the swamp". The Dept of Education is part of the bureaucracy, controlled by civilian government employees who are notorious DC liberal homesteaders sucking off the government dime. This 1619 Project apparently started when WE were still in HS. I was anyway :) (I think I'm nearing done here, you either are not understanding or being purposefully provocative, something I do not do.)

They have slowly insinuated it into public education, flying under the radar as the left usually does when its up to no good and doesn't want anyone else to notice. 40 years later and I have never heard of it. This is a prime example of the MSM brainwashing our society into what to think.

I find history fascinating, mostly from a military perspective. Go figure :) I'd as soon pick up a history book and read it as any other kind of book. I am always amazed that as smart as people believe they are, they always let their politics and personal desires erase any lessons learned from history. It's all right there and we just keep repeating it. Watching the left roll us down the slope is nothing new. It's been repeated over and again and perfectly good societies otherwise destroyed because of it.

In the military, minus politician involvement, strategy and tactics is based on history. We still studied Napoleon, Alexander, Julius Caesar, Robert E Lee et al. When you see colse order drill (like drill teams -- what civilians call marching) is Napoleonic and is still used for moving a formation of Marines in an orderly efficient manner from one place to another.

Then there's the SIL's son. He thinks WWII was fought between the crew of Das Boot and the Russians over sunken gold :rolleyes:

If you have a VIABLE solution I'm all ears. It's stupidity and I'd love nothing more than to stop it but I don't have much clout :laugh:

Never mind.

Gunny
08-26-2019, 10:52 AM
Never mind.I do not see where anything is provocative.&nbsp; I can stir up crap in less words than THAT :)<br><br>I get the NYT's and what it's doing.&nbsp; I get what the 1619 Project is and what its purpose is.&nbsp; The comment you made about Trump and education was to Sassy in the thread you posted about arguments for voting for him.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I'm trying to see your point.&nbsp; You can't just point a finger at one thing about our abysmal education system.&nbsp; That pile of feces aka the 1619 Project is not even revisionist history -- it's fabricated history.&nbsp; But it is a symptom to much larger problem that permeates every facet of our lives -- political propaganda.&nbsp; What other reason that THAT would there be for the revisionist/fabricated history?&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>History has always been second fiddle to politics, and used to promote agendas.&nbsp; You look at the 1619 Project as bull while I look at just about everything we've been taught is propaganda of one sort or another from the reasons for the Revolutionary War to the US Civil War, WWII ... name it.&nbsp; We get the "official, Government approved" story.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>So again, how do fix something that stinks from the inside out?&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>If you aren't looking for a (possible) solution, then what?&nbsp; THAT is what I am not understanding.&nbsp; But I am actually trying to discuss the issue as it appears on my screen, not stir anything up.

Gunny
08-26-2019, 10:53 AM
and I hope you appreciate the effort at least put into the response. I am trying to type while being operated on by a plastic spoon :)