PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop This! - a 5 Minute Einstein

-Cp
09-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow!

http://www.5min.com/Video/how-to-draw-Albert-Einstein-8844

Sitarro
09-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Nicely done....... definitely done with a Wacom tablet...... couldn't have been done with a bar of soap....err.... a mouse. I would also bet a years pay it was done on a MAC.

Jon
09-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Nicely done....... definitely done with a Wacom tablet...... couldn't have been done with a bar of soap....err.... a mouse. I would also bet a years pay it was done on a MAC.

You sure you want to bet a years pay?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=558&stc=1&d=1189029082

Now I'm certainly not a Mac expert, but that looks decidedly like a Windoze dialog window. The title bar is even that nasty teal color they seemed to love so much. Do the Mac dialogs look like this in Photoshop?

Sitarro
09-05-2007, 11:36 PM
You sure you want to bet a years pay?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=558&stc=1&d=1189029082

Now I'm certainly not a Mac expert, but that looks decidedly like a Windoze dialog window. The title bar is even that nasty teal color they seemed to love so much. Do the Mac dialogs look like this in Photoshop?
:laugh2::laugh2:
I wasn't betting the yrs. pay on what machine was used, I was betting on the use of a Wacom. Do you have one of those? If not, you would go gaga over it, go get one tomorrow. The stuff you can do with that pen isn't possible with the mouse. You can set the thing for a 50% burn and depending on how hard you press on the pen you will get anywhere from 0% -50%....... very handy when touching up photos or doing illustrations. The work on the hair is a good example of the control you have with the pen. It works great with Illustrator or Photoshop.

That color picker box looks basically the same on the MAC, I don't know about the teal bar on top though.

Sitarro
09-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Jon
It looks like you are right about the dialog box. I brought up color picker on mine and it says color picker in the center where that teal band is..... mine is gray.

-Cp
09-06-2007, 12:02 AM
I wasn't betting the yrs. pay on what machine was used, I was betting on the use of a Wacom.

I would also bet a years pay it was done on a MAC.

I think you owe Jon some money...

Sitarro
09-06-2007, 12:06 AM
I think you owe Jon some money...

No shit, I wonder if he will take a check for the twenty bucks I made this year. I should have known, a MAC artist would have done a better job.

-Cp
09-06-2007, 12:08 AM
I should have known, a MAC artist would have done a better job.

Please tell me your joking.... right?

darin
09-06-2007, 12:13 AM
it's funny - old people, or people out of the loop still buy the addage 'get a MAC if you wanna do graphic stuff.'

:)

Kathianne
09-06-2007, 12:24 AM
it's funny - old people, or people out of the loop still buy the addage 'get a MAC if you wanna do graphic stuff.'

Personally, I gotta say, how do you do these graphics, photos, etc? I do have a Mac, G5 and I'm still clueless. On the other hand, I'm no longer bothered by viruses and such, at least for nearly 2 years. No sudden need to shut down, because my screen froze.

Of course, I was just as clueless then as now, it just easier now.

Sitarro
09-06-2007, 01:12 AM

Are you going to pretend that a majority of Fine Artist, Graphic Artist and Photographers aren't using Apple operating systems? I worked for one of the largest art supply stores in the world for 7 years as an outside account rep. I spent my days driving all over Colorado visiting art studios, most were using MACs whether they were producing graphics or fine art. All of the photography studios I visited had MACs, don't remember one that had a pc in the studio(secretaries used them).

The painting is nice but I have seen much better work done by former clients of mine on MACs. I have also known many people that were staunch windows users until they tried OSX.... then they kicked themselves in the ass for wasting so much time on that pathetic operating system that is nothing but a poor attempt at a copy of Apple's (windows).

How's that Vista working by the way(5 yrs. in the making and obsolete before it was introduced)? How about that very original Zune unit..... know anyone that has bought one?

No, I'm not joking.

Sitarro
09-06-2007, 01:23 AM

Do you have your administrator hat on while you insult me for being a few years older than you and supposedly being out of your loop?

It's about the operating system, much more efficient, and much more intuitive.... that's why artist chose Apple. They didn't want to waste time working on the machine, they wanted to be productive working with it. Check the machines being used to produce most magazines including PC World, you will find MACs exclusively. Those amateurs at Pixar, what machines do you think they use? Then again, I'm just a bitter old man that's out of "the loop", what would I know?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2003/10/28/pixarosx/

OS X Conference: Pixar talks OS X migration
By David Read
Despite the company's deep connections to Apple, Pixar Animation Studios only completed moving its computer infrastructure to Mac OS X eight months ago. System administrators Bethany Jane Hanson and Gabriel Benveniste said that they deliberately waited until the vast majority of applications they use daily were OS X native. But once that happened, they and the rest of the administrators at Pixar tapped OS X's core Unix capabilities to develop a migration and maintenance scheme that they say has a lower cost of ownership than Mac OS 9.

Before they began thinking about moving to Mac OS X, Benveniste said that the administrators at Pixar first reviewed their existing computer infrastructure. He said that the company was using 375 desktop Macs running Mac OS 9 and around 100 PowerBooks also running Mac OS 9. Pixar also had 500 computers running Linux that were slated to move to Mac OS X. Finally, the company runs about 125 computers running Windows.

Rather than support both the Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X environments, a conscious decision was made at Pixar to solely use Mac OS X once the majority of the software used at the company was OS X native. Benveniste said that the company finished its Mac OS X migration about eight months ago and only a handful of Macs in the company are now running Classic, and then only for specific applications.

Sitarro
09-06-2007, 02:07 AM
A friend and former client uses Photoshop on his MAC to produce this work.

Jon
09-06-2007, 03:11 AM
I wasn't betting the yrs. pay on what machine was used, I was betting on the use of a Wacom. Do you have one of those? If not, you would go gaga over it, go get one tomorrow. The stuff you can do with that pen isn't possible with the mouse. You can set the thing for a 50% burn and depending on how hard you press on the pen you will get anywhere from 0% -50%....... very handy when touching up photos or doing illustrations. The work on the hair is a good example of the control you have with the pen. It works great with Illustrator or Photoshop.

That color picker box looks basically the same on the MAC, I don't know about the teal bar on top though.

I'd love to have a Wacom tablet. The ones that I've been interested in are cost prohibitive for me right now though. ;)

Jon
09-06-2007, 03:12 AM
No shit, I wonder if he will take a check for the twenty bucks I made this year. I should have known, a MAC artist would have done a better job.

I accept Cash, Check, Money Order or Paypal. :dance:

Jon
09-06-2007, 03:13 AM

I'd bet the $20 he owes me that he is. :laugh2:

Jon
09-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Are you going to pretend that a majority of Fine Artist, Graphic Artist and Photographers aren't using Apple operating systems? I worked for one of the largest art supply stores in the world for 7 years as an outside account rep. I spent my days driving all over Colorado visiting art studios, most were using MACs whether they were producing graphics or fine art. All of the photography studios I visited had MACs, don't remember one that had a pc in the studio(secretaries used them).

While it's true that the industry standard for the creative arts is Apple, that doesn't mean that the same work can't be done on a PC. For instance, other than the shortcut keys being a bit different, Photoshop works the same in both. It's just like the fact that a talented person can take a nice photo with Canon, Nikon, or any other brand of camera. It's the talent, not the gear.

There are practical reasons for the popularity of Macs in the creative fields. Take a look at job postings for any creative work. Almost all of them ask for familiarity with OS X. The people that want to work in these fields know this, and are therefore more likely to buy into systems that run that operating system. ;)

Sitarro
09-06-2007, 03:24 AM
A few more.....

Jon
09-06-2007, 03:34 AM
A few more.....

What are these being used for? T-shirts and such? All of this work was done in PS?

It's not my style, but I can appreciate the talent.

diuretic
09-06-2007, 04:00 AM
I should not stick my nose in here because I'm bloody clueless about high end artistic work but heck quite a few years ago I was working in a training environment (1984 to be precise) and went out for a look at the "School of the Future" campus in my city. I couldn't believe what I was looking at with video and other work being done on this highly experimental and developmental campus. I spoke to the bloke in charge and he told me everything was being done on a Mac. Now I know this was a long while ago and the pc has definitely caught up but I have to tell you the stuff I saw back then was jaw-dropping.

And just to be fair, I'm not a Windows user, I'm a Linux user (but not a Linux fanboy so need to panic :laugh2:). I use the Gimp for photo manipulation, it works fine for me with my limited knowledge (and it's free as in free beer, I like that too).

darin
09-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Do you have your administrator hat on while you insult me for being a few years older than you and supposedly being out of your loop?

It's about the operating system, much more efficient, and much more intuitive.... that's why artist chose Apple. They didn't want to waste time working on the machine, they wanted to be productive working with it. Check the machines being used to produce most magazines including PC World, you will find MACs exclusively. Those amateurs at Pixar, what machines do you think they use? Then again, I'm just a bitter old man that's out of "the loop", what would I know?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2003/10/28/pixarosx/

OS X Conference: Pixar talks OS X migration
By David Read
Despite the company's deep connections to Apple, Pixar Animation Studios only completed moving its computer infrastructure to Mac OS X eight months ago. System administrators Bethany Jane Hanson and Gabriel Benveniste said that they deliberately waited until the vast majority of applications they use daily were OS X native. But once that happened, they and the rest of the administrators at Pixar tapped OS X's core Unix capabilities to develop a migration and maintenance scheme that they say has a lower cost of ownership than Mac OS 9.

Before they began thinking about moving to Mac OS X, Benveniste said that the administrators at Pixar first reviewed their existing computer infrastructure. He said that the company was using 375 desktop Macs running Mac OS 9 and around 100 PowerBooks also running Mac OS 9. Pixar also had 500 computers running Linux that were slated to move to Mac OS X. Finally, the company runs about 125 computers running Windows.

Rather than support both the Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X environments, a conscious decision was made at Pixar to solely use Mac OS X once the majority of the software used at the company was OS X native. Benveniste said that the company finished its Mac OS X migration about eight months ago and only a handful of Macs in the company are now running Classic, and then only for specific applications.

So - do you have your asshole hat on EVERY time you reply to me? You seem to HATE everybody who doesn't blow smoke up your ass, except Jon. You've a fixation for him, and that's fine. Cept when HE disagrees you remain calm. When others disagree you turn into EVILsitarro.

The facts are very clear - Macs are not THE choice for graphic artists. Your previous reply shows you thought that was the case. I'm telling you it's not. I'm telling you PCs are fanTASTIC for graphics and graphic artists. The adage 'get a mac for graphics' is antiquated.

-Cp
09-06-2007, 11:51 AM

The painting is nice but I have seen much better work done by former clients of mine on MACs. I have also known many people that were staunch windows users until they tried OSX.... then they kicked themselves in the ass for wasting so much time on that pathetic operating system that is nothing but a poor attempt at a copy of Apple's (windows).

How's that Vista working by the way(5 yrs. in the making and obsolete before it was introduced)? How about that very original Zune unit..... know anyone that has bought one?

No, I'm not joking.

Some idiot's choice in choosing a MAC has nothing to do with your original assertion that somehow MAC users could do a better job on that Einstien picture.... that's a steaming pile of horsecrap - and you should know better...

Photoshop works the same on both platforms and it's up to the skill of the person doing the drawing - not the OS....

If you want to get into a pissing match over Microsoft vs. Apple - that's a different topic for a different thread...

Sitarro
09-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Some idiot's choice in choosing a MAC has nothing to do with your original assertion that somehow MAC users could do a better job on that Einstien picture.... that's a steaming pile of horsecrap - and you should know better...

Photoshop works the same on both platforms and it's up to the skill of the person doing the drawing - not the OS....

If you want to get into a pissing match over Microsoft vs. Apple - that's a different topic for a different thread...

You guys are the ones getting upset.... I'm sure you think that "picture" is a great piece of art.... I don't, you are more easily pleased....that's obvious.

darin
09-06-2007, 08:41 PM
You guys are the ones getting upset.... I'm sure you think that "picture" is a great piece of art.... I don't, you are more easily pleased....that's obvious.

so instead of addressing ANYTHING he said, you'll just say "Nuh-UH!!!" and thumb your nose?

I've seen GOOD stuff from Mac's...I've seen FANTASTIC stuff from PCs, mostly because the Graphic Artists/animators I know are PC fans.

Sitarro
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
So - do you have your asshole hat on EVERY time you reply to me? You seem to HATE everybody who doesn't blow smoke up your ass, except Jon. You've a fixation for him, and that's fine. Cept when HE disagrees you remain calm. When others disagree you turn into EVILsitarro.

The facts are very clear - Macs are not THE choice for graphic artists. Your previous reply shows you thought that was the case. I'm telling you it's not. I'm telling you PCs are fanTASTIC for graphics and graphic artists. The adage 'get a mac for graphics' is antiquated.

Oh, I see, now you're an expert on graphic arts, what facts are very clear?....you are wrong, Widows blows and no artist that has tried both operating systems would consider that obsolete System. Why should I waste any more time responding? You just don't get it, just like Cp. ........And neither of you ever will. Enjoy your Microsoft Vista world, it's where the two of you belong. I'm sure both of you think Michelangelo's Pieta is just a statue also, that is if you even know what it is.

darin
09-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Oh, I see, now you're an expert on graphic arts, what facts are very clear?....you are wrong,

www.rif.org - Re-read, several times if required, to understand what I wrote. I said I "most of the graphic artists I know prefer PCs". Do you really think that's me proclaiming expertise?

Widows blows and no artist that has tried both operating systems would consider that obsolete System.

What you are suggesting is you know the mind and preferences of every graphic artist. Is that hyperbole, or arrogance?

Why should I waste any more time responding? You just don't get it, just like Cp. ........And neither of you ever will. Enjoy your Microsoft Vista world, it's where the two of you belong. I'm sure both of you think Michelangelo's Pieta is just a statue also, that is if you even know what it is.

That's a very VERY weird statement. First off, what don't we get, specifically? We don't get YOUR claim that Mac's are superior for Graphics? We don't 'get' that because we know it's not the equipment as much as the artist. -Cp said above - it's the user of the software/hardware that makes the ultimate difference; or do you feel that ONLY applies to cameras?

-Cp
09-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh, I see, now you're an expert on graphic arts, what facts are very clear?....you are wrong, Widows blows and no artist that has tried both operating systems would consider that obsolete System.

Huh.. that's funny.... cause My brother in law is a PROFESSIONAL (had to capitalize that cause I know you don't know what one of those is) graphic artist and 3D Animator... the studio he works for was 90% MAC back when he started there about 8-years ago or so.... Now it's 99% PC.....

He said the team got tired of the MAC's always locking up and being so slow...

Sitarro
09-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Huh.. that's funny.... cause My brother in law is a PROFESSIONAL (had to capitalize that cause I know you don't know what one of those is) graphic artist and 3D Animator... the studio he works for was 90% MAC back when he started there about 8-years ago or so.... Now it's 99% PC.....

He said the team got tired of the MAC's always locking up and being so slow...

When do we get to see some of the work from your brother in law?