PDA

View Full Version : At Least Five Dead in Texas Mass Shooting; 21 Reportedly Injured

jimnyc
08-31-2019, 07:29 PM
---

At Least Five Dead in Texas Mass Shooting; 21 Reportedly Injured

Midland Police have reportedly arrested one suspect who shot random people, injuring at least 30 people, according to CBS News. It is believed that another shooter is still at large.

BREAKING: CBS News reports that a Texas state trooper has also been shot. Condition unknown. https://t.co/dpFtcHEg3r

— David Begnaud (@DavidBegnaud) August 31, 2019

CBS7:

From the City of Midland: We believe there are two shooters in two separate vehicles. One suspect is believed to be at the Cinergy in Midland and the other is believed to be driving on Loop 250 in Midland. The two vehicles in question are: gold/white small Toyota truck and a USPS Postal Van. Please stay away from these areas and stay indoors.

USPS has recalled its vehicles to help authorities track down the suspect.

From the City of Odessa: 20 injuries have been reported in connection to the shooting. No other details are availabe at this time.

From DPS: The public is urged to avoid I-20 in Odessa, Midland and Big Spring as authorities search for a suspect who has shot several people including an officer.

Here's what appears to be the first video available, although it has not been verified by law-enforcement.

BREAKING: Large police presence after reports of an active shooter in Odessa, Texas. pic.twitter.com/b5LfVBqV8N

— Breaking News Global (@BreakingNAlerts) August 31, 2019

Update: 6:40 p.m. Eastern

The mayor of Odessa, Texas, tells Fox News that there was only one shooter, who has reportedly been shot and killed in a confrontation with police. A hospital spokesman told Fox that six people had been admitted with gunshot wounds and three are critical.

Update 7:15 p.m. Eastern

Police say five people are dead, 21 more injured in the shootings. The suspect is described as a white male in his 30s.

Update 7:56 p.m. Eastern (PJB)

Another video has surfaced appearing to show the shooting in progress:

#BREAKING Another Video of Odessa Police shooting and killing the active shooting suspect in the USPS mail truck, outside Cinergy Movie Theater.#activeshooter #odessa #midlandshooting #shooting #witness #VIDEO #shootingvideo #breakingnews #odessashooting

Video by Alex Woods pic.twitter.com/IGHGVLPSIp

— Chris (@NewButNotABot) August 31, 2019

The Odessa police chief just updated the media on the shooting, calling the assailant "an animal."

Powerful moment from @odessapolice. Officer describing alleged shooter as “this animal” when referring to the efforts by multiple law enforcement agencies to bring this mass shooting to a end. #foxnews #midlandshooting #odessashooting #Odessa #Midland #shooting pic.twitter.com/guUHLBkvoH

— Jeff Paul (@Jeff_Paul) August 31, 2019

https://pjmedia.com/trending/breaking-at-least-30-people-shot-in-midland-odessa-area-of-texas/

Five Dead, 21 Injured in Midland-Odessa Shooting — Three Officers Wounded

Police in Odessa, Texas, report that five people were killed and 21 were injured in a shooting that began after a traffic stop. Three officers are said to be among the wounded. Police shot and killed the suspect.

UPDATE 7:00 p.m.: YourBasin.com reports that the shooter stopped a mail truck, shot the driver, and then stole his truck in an attempt to flee.

UPDATE 6:45 p.m.: A video shot by Alex Woods and posted on Facebook appears to show police engaging the shooter near the Cenergy cinema complex. Multiple gunshots can be heard.

UPDATE 6:32 p.m.: YourBasin.com reports that a 17-month-old baby is among the injured. The baby has been airlifted to a hospital in Lubbock, Texas.

Hospital officials report 14 people are being treated at MCH Hospital in Odessa.

UPDATE 6:00 p.m.: Press Conference with Odessa Police Department – Chief Michael Gerke.

The situation began at 3:17 when a DPS trooper pulled over a gold Honda. The driver reportedly shot the trooper and drove away firing at multiple people. There were multiple scenes and multiple victims. The suspect then allegedly stole the mail truck and drove to the Cinergy movie theater complex. Police engaged the suspect and shot and killed him. At least 21 shooting victims and five people dead, the Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said.

The suspect is reported to be a white male in his mid-thirties. Once this person was taken out of the picture there have been no further victims, the chief said. The chief explained they initially thought there were multiple shooters because of the multiple vehicles involved and the multiple shooting scenes.

One Midland police officer, one Odessa police officer, and one DPS trooper were shot.

The chief did not say what type of firearm was used in the shooting.

https://i.imgur.com/8IswgdK.png

UPDATE 5:55 p.m.: YourBasin.com reports one suspect has been shot and killed and a second suspect is in custody.

UPDATE 5:50 p.m.: Midland police report the active shooter was shot and killed at the Cinergy in Odessa. There are no active shooters at this time.

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2019/08/31/multiple-people-shot-in-west-texas-active-shooter-incident/

High_Plains_Drifter
08-31-2019, 07:42 PM
... but ya know, so what... in Chicago they'd call this shooting a normal weekend. So why is the news having a melt down?

LongTermGuy
08-31-2019, 08:02 PM
... but ya know, so what... in Chicago they'd call this shooting a normal weekend. So why is the news having a melt down?

​So true my GOOD friend....the Chicago stuff doesn't fit "their" agenda as you already know.

​Surprised in.. "Texas" no one fired back...surely there are many good people with defensive weapons out there...or maybe the Punk ass fool was just lucky..glad the Police got the fool.

Kathianne
08-31-2019, 08:52 PM
Stop covering these.

Elessar
08-31-2019, 11:43 PM
Of course, the MSM and liberals will blame Trump and the NRA - not the shooter.

Kathianne
09-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Stop covering these.

Seriously, the thinking going on here is that really shouldn't cover any natural disasters, crimes, political events, they've all been done. Got the shirt, now shut up!

High_Plains_Drifter
09-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Seriously, the thinking going on here is that really shouldn't cover any natural disasters, crimes, political events, they've all been done. Got the shirt, now shut up!
I think the thinking is, stop cherry picking the ones you want to cover just to further your agenda. That would be my thought.

But, when Fox news has wall to wall coverage of it going on as well as the democrat propaganda wing, then they're all guilty of it. Whatever they think will get them viewers, and viewers means more money.

But if the media was serious about covering shootings, they'd have a permanent contingent stationed in Chicago and they'd be blaring the shooting going on there wall to wall, 24/7, like they did this shooting. But, they can't do that. Chicago is a leftist democrat utopia. They've banned all the guns so shootings aren't supposed to happen there, and they can't be making that point. That kinda blows up their agenda.

Kathianne
09-01-2019, 08:17 AM
I think the thinking is, stop cherry picking the ones you want to cover just to further your agenda. That would be my thought.

But, when Fox news has wall to wall coverage of it going on as well as the democrat propaganda wing, then they're all guilty of it. Whatever they think will get them viewers, and viewers means more money.

But if the media was serious about covering shootings, they'd have a permanent contingent stationed in Chicago and they'd be blaring the shooting going on there wall to wall, 24/7, like they did this shooting. But, they can't do that. Chicago is a leftist democrat utopia. They've banned all the guns so shootings aren't supposed to happen there, and they can't be making that point. That kinda blows up their agenda.

I'm pro-second amendment and realize the difference between sudden mass shootings by an individual or a pair and those of gang bangers and corrupt police department and politicians.

The first tend to have legally obtained guns or illegally from family/friends.
Gangbangers? Nothing about them is legal.

As I said, might as well just say, 'the people don't need to know anything-it's all been done. It only upsets anyone that feels it's cherry-picked to upset them.'

High_Plains_Drifter
09-01-2019, 08:25 AM
I'm pro-second amendment and realize the difference between sudden mass shootings by an individual or a pair and those of gang bangers and corrupt police department and politicians.

The first tend to have legally obtained guns or illegally from family/friends.
Gangbangers? Nothing about them is legal.

As I said, might as well just say, 'the people don't need to know anything-it's all been done. It only upsets anyone that feels it's cherry-picked to upset them.'
But shootings are shootings. It's illegal to shoot someone period. Whether a legally obtained gun is used or not, whether it's a sudden mass shooting or gang banger, it's really irrelevant.

But I agree with your last statement.

Kathianne
09-01-2019, 08:34 AM
But shootings are shootings. It's illegal to shoot someone period. Whether a legally obtained gun is used or not, whether it's a sudden mass shooting or gang banger, it's really irrelevant.

But I agree with your last statement.

Basically, let's do away with the press, right? No problems with that, I mean what could go wrong?

High_Plains_Drifter
09-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Basically, let's do away with the press, right? No problems with that, I mean what could go wrong?
Well let's not start making ultra broad blanket statements either. I said nothing of "doing away with the press."

My initial point was, this kind of shooting happens every weekend in Chicago. Why did the so called news have to broadcast it wall to wall all day as if the same thing isn't happening in another city all the time? They're cherry picking.

Kathianne
09-01-2019, 08:45 AM
Well let's not start making ultra broad blanket statements either. I said nothing of "doing away with the press."

My initial point was, this kind of shooting happens every weekend in Chicago. Why did the so called news have to broadcast it wall to wall all day as if the same thing isn't happening in another city all the time? They're cherry picking.

It's not the same kind of shooting, not by a long shot. One knows what's up in Chicago or Milwaukee, Detroit, Baltimore, etc. One can choose not to go to those areas, except for the residents of those neighborhoods-caught between the gangs and the corruption.

What happens in schools, the roads in TX, a crazed man focused on dealing with over population to save the environment by targeting his personal prejudice? Not the same.

jimnyc
09-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Am I missing something here that perhaps started elsewhere?

Kathianne
09-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Am I missing something here that perhaps started elsewhere?
Just the way the convo developed. No problems.

jimnyc
09-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Just the way the convo developed. No problems.

Just was curious why you would be telling me to stop covering these?

Kathianne
09-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Just was curious why you would be telling me to stop covering these?

I wasn't. I was responding to what came after. If I quoted you, it was a mistake and I apologize.

Kathianne
09-01-2019, 10:35 AM
See #6, I responded to my prior, sarcastic, post.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?67569-At-Least-Five-Dead-in-Texas-Mass-Shooting-21-Reportedly-Injured&p=942287#post942287

jimnyc
09-01-2019, 10:37 AM
I wasn't. I was responding to what came after. If I quoted you, it was a mistake and I apologize.

See #6, I responded to my prior, sarcastic, post.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?67569-At-Least-Five-Dead-in-Texas-Mass-Shooting-21-Reportedly-Injured&p=942287#post942287

All good, I was just curious that maybe I missed something, or said something or what not. :2up:

jimnyc
09-01-2019, 10:48 AM
I see the deaths and other related numbers have increased. :(

Picking up at where the timeline ended last night.

---

Eight Dead, 20 Injured in Midland-Odessa Shooting — Three Officers Wounded

Police in Odessa, Texas, report that eight people were killed and nearly 20 were injured in a shooting that began after a traffic stop on Saturday afternoon. Three officers are said to be among the wounded. Police shot and killed the suspect. The eighth person died Sunday morning in Midland, Texas.

UPDATE 9:30 a.m.: What we know…

Two Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) troopers attempted to stop a gold Honda for a traffic violation on Interstate Highway 20 near mile marker 131 at about 3 p.m. on Saturday.
Before stopping for the troopers, the driver reportedly pointed a rifle toward his rear window striking the patrol vehicle and one of the troopers.
The shooter then fled the scene and began randomly shooting at people on the highway and city surface streets.
The shooter stole a USPS mail delivery van and dumped the Honda. He reportedly shot the USPS driver.
The shooter continued his rampage before being cornered by multiple police officers at the rear of the Cinergy movie theater in Odessa.
Gunfire erupted at the Cinergy leaving the shooter dead and a Midland police officer and an Odessa police officer wounded.
By Sunday morning, the death toll rose to eight people, including the shooter. One person died Sunday morning in Midland. The shooting rampage left nearly 20 people injured.
Police have not yet identified the shooter or released any information about his motivation.

UPDATE 8:45 a.m. Sunday: The death toll in Saturday’s shooting rampage in Midland-Odessa climbed to eight overnight, NewsWest9 reports. This includes the shooter and a person who died Sunday morning at Midland Memorial Hospital.

https://i.imgur.com/Ew3LZ0n.png

UPDATE 8:45 p.m.: CBS7 reports that 40 shots were fired during the engagement with the shooter at Cinergy.

UPDATE 8:40 p.m.: A video posted by @Ryan_Itsyaboi on Twitter shows people fleeing from the cinema as shots were being fired at the shooting suspect.

UPDATE 8:25 p.m.: The Texas Department of Public Safety is saying that the trooper shot in today’s initial traffic stop is in serious but stable condition. A second trooper was in the vehicle but was not injured. The other two wounded officers are said to be in stable condition.

During the attempt by the trooper to conduct a traffic stop on the suspect, the driver slowed but did not stop. The suspect, the only person in the vehicle, pointed a rifle toward the rear window in his Honda and opened fire — striking the DPS patrol vehicle and one of the troopers, the statement reported.

https://i.imgur.com/rEFHvlz.png

UPDATE 8:00 p.m.: KENS5 reporter Audrey Castoreno tweeted a photo she says is of the baby that was shot in Odessa. She said she was a member of the Junior League with the baby’s mother. She said the baby is expected to survive having been struck by a bullet fragment.

UPDATE 7:50 p.m.: Odessa College reports gunfire near the campus at 7:10 p.m. when an automobile “rammed an ECISD Police Department car near campus.” Gunfire was reported immediately after the crash. “The suspect has been detained and there is no ongoing threat to the campus or the community,” college officials stated. Odessa College officials told Breitbart Texas they cannot say if this incident is related to the ongoing Midland-Odessa shooting earlier in the day.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/border/2019/08/31/multiple-people-shot-in-west-texas-active-shooter-incident/

High_Plains_Drifter
09-01-2019, 11:21 PM
It's not the same kind of shooting, not by a long shot. One knows what's up in Chicago or Milwaukee, Detroit, Baltimore, etc. One can choose not to go to those areas, except for the residents of those neighborhoods-caught between the gangs and the corruption.

What happens in schools, the roads in TX, a crazed man focused on dealing with over population to save the environment by targeting his personal prejudice? Not the same.
Well therein lies the problem, Kath... you apparently classify shootings and I don't. I would hate to think that you believe that one shooting deserves more media coverage than another simply because of the circumstances.

Kathianne
09-02-2019, 01:26 AM
Well therein lies the problem, Kath... you apparently classify shootings and I don't. I would hate to think that you believe that one shooting deserves more media coverage than another simply because of the circumstances.

Yeah, I do classify shootings and most things in life.

What's happening in the cities has known causes and solutions, the cities just need to address.

Not so with these mass shootings. We really have little to predict where, when, or why. Even the how is changing, as the last one has over a dozen crime scenes and is being called a 'mobile crime.'

High_Plains_Drifter
09-02-2019, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I do classify shootings and most things in life.

What's happening in the cities has known causes and solutions, the cities just need to address.

Not so with these mass shootings. We really have little to predict where, when, or why. Even the how is changing, as the last one has over a dozen crime scenes and is being called a 'mobile crime.'
Well, we just think different... no problem. When I see the sun rise, I don't think, well that's a different sun rise than the one yesterday. Same with someone nut case that shoots up a bunch of people. I see people get shot. The innocent people are the same, the nut case is the same, the bullets are the same and people die.

I will give you that circumstances can be different but the occurrence and the outcome are the same, people die. No one should cherry pick this shooting or that shooting as being more horrific or news worthy is my point. They're all bad.

Kathianne
09-02-2019, 02:31 AM
Well, we just think different... no problem. When I see the sun rise, I don't think, well that's a different sun rise than the one yesterday. Same with someone nut case that shoots up a bunch of people. I see people get shot. The innocent people are the same, the nut case is the same, the bullets are the same and people die.

I will give you that circumstances can be different but the occurrence and the outcome are the same, people die. No one should cherry pick this shooting or that shooting as being more horrific or news worthy is my point. They're all bad.

I can see the sense in not saying the shooter's name.

I cannot see the sense of a juvie, in a gang, getting off because of age. Nor do I see the sense in serious violent crimes committed by juvies not being accessible after 18 or 21.

While there seems to be psycho-social similarities among some of the mass shooters, there isn't enough patterns to make predictions.

To not classify is to leave a binary choice:

1. Ban gun ownership
2. Forget any attempts to restrict guns or use. Free for all.

Guess which one won't be implemented.