PDA

View Full Version : Boatlift

Kathianne
09-06-2019, 09:45 AM
9/11 is almost upon us, once again. One of the most inspiring videos I've used in classes:

https://www.americanwaterways.com/media/videos/boatlift-tom-hanks-narrates-untold-tale-911-resilience

The above is the link I've used, but did find this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18lsxFcDrjo

Elessar
09-06-2019, 10:27 AM
That is excellent!

I had never seen that coverage before'

NEVER FORGET!

SassyLady
09-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Why do I still cry when I see these videos?

Thank you Kath ... I had not seen Boatlift before.

Elessar
09-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Why do I still cry when I see these videos?

Thank you Kath ... I had not seen Boatlift before.

Most(3/4ths) of our USCG Reservists at USCG Station Fort Totten were Cops and Firefighters in NYC.

Those who perished that day stung really hard throughout the community.

SassyLady
09-07-2019, 01:48 AM
Most(3/4ths) of our USCG Reservists at USCG Station Fort Totten were Cops and Firefighters in NYC.

Those who perished that day stung really hard throughout the community.

Elessar ... FYI...my ex father-in-law was Captain in Coast Guard. He was retired by time I married his son. Before he retired he was a bigwig in Puerto Rico.

Ever heard of Two Rock, CA?

Elessar
09-07-2019, 05:45 AM
Elessar ... FYI...my ex father-in-law was Captain in Coast Guard. He was retired by time I married his son. Before he retired he was a bigwig in Puerto Rico.

Ever heard of Two Rock, CA?

Yes I have. It is near Petaluma, on the road to Bodega Bay.

Abbey Marie
09-07-2019, 10:25 AM
What a beautiful video, and I am usually video-resistant.

In addition to the always-emotional 9/11 story, what struck me was how when it hits the proverbial fan, it is our blue-collar people who step up, and who we rely on to get it done.
Not our investment bankers, lawyers and college professors, et al.

Kathianne
09-07-2019, 10:28 AM
What a beautiful video, and I am usually video-resistant.

In addition to the always-emotional 9/11 story, what struck me was how when it hits the proverbial fan, it is our blue-collar people who step up, and who we rely on to get it done.
Not our investment bankers, lawyers and college professors, et al.

The one gentleman did tell the story of the 'suits' passing the elderly, blind woman over the gates to get her on the boat. If you read about 'The man in the red bandana' he was a trader that wanted to switch careers back to being a firefighter.

I think there were many heroes that day, from all walks of life. I think sometimes we just have to look.

I won't apologize for being white or being educated, the 'blue collars' are no better or worse than those that are not. It's the person, not the 'privilege' or the obstacles. We all have both.

Abbey Marie
09-07-2019, 10:36 AM
The one gentleman did tell the story of the 'suits' passing the elderly, blind woman over the gates to get her on the boat. If you read about 'The man in the red bandana' he was a trader that wanted to switch careers back to being a firefighter.

I think there were many heroes that day, from all walks of life.

Yes, lots of people stepped up as able. But I am talking about who actually took the reins and got it done. Who drove their boats, and climbed the towers into incredible danger. I think you will find that most of the office workers just fled. (I know a couple). I think there is generally something in the character of a person who enters a field like the military or fire-fighting that wants to help others. That draws them to those fields in the first place.

I am not insulting “others” as I am a former lawyer myself. And I’d like to think I’d help as much as I can if something terrible happened nearby. But it’s a whole other level.

Kathianne
09-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Yes, lots of people stepped up as able. But I am talking about who actually took the reins and got it done. Who drove their boats, and climbed the towers into incredible danger. I think you will find that most of the office workers just fled. (I know a couple). I think there is generally something in the character of a person who enters a field like the military or fire-fighting that wants to help others. That draws them to those fields in the first place.

I am not insulting “others” as I am a former lawyer myself. And I’d like to think I’d help as much as I can if something terrible happened nearby. But it’s a whole other level.

Indeed. The training of the military, the firefighters, the police is not something most of us have in our skill sets. What did get all those boats there though was the one guy starting, a few following, then the call of the Coast Guard-the one with the ability to call all!

Those with training saved a countless number. Those without, the everyday folks, may have just done good by just caring for themselves and one or two others. Doing one's best, is all one can do.

SassyLady
09-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Yes I have. It is near Petaluma, on the road to Bodega Bay.

I lived about 20 miles north of there. Thats where we went for IDs and doctors appointments. Also, on Fridays for lunch? Where Coast Guard chefs were trained.