PDA

View Full Version : Criminal-Craig may not resign..

Guernicaa
09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Sen. McConnell: Craig won't resign if case is overturned

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Embattled Idaho Sen. Larry Craig will not resign if he's able to get the disorderly conduct case against him dismissed in the next 25 days, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday.

"He said that he is going to try to get the case in Minneapolis dismissed -- that if he is unable to have that disposed of, prior to September 30, it is his intention to resign from the Senate as he expressed last Saturday," McConnell told reporters.

"If he is able to get the case favorably disposed of in Minneapolis, it would be his intention to come back to the Senate to deal with the Ethics Committee case that he knows that he will have, and to try to finish his term," McConnell added.

Craig's attorney, Stanley Brand asked the ethics committee not to investigate because events were "wholly unrelated" to official duties, according to The Associated Press.

The Ethics Committee, however, said it will continue its investigation.

"S. Res. 338 gives the committee the authority to investigate members who engage in 'improper conduct which may reflect upon the Senate,' regardless of whether such conduct violates a specific statute, Senate rule, or regulation," the committee said in a statement, citing the Senate Ethics Manual.

"The committee has stated that the Senate 'may discipline a member for any misconduct, including conduct or activity which does not directly relate to official duties, when such conduct unfavorably reflects on the institution as a whole,'" the committee said. "Pending Senator Craig's resignation, the committee will continue to review this matter."

In a follow up statement Wednesday, Craig said he intended to fight his case before the Ethics Committee "while I am a sitting senator."

Craig's seat will be up for re-election in 2008.

Meanwhile, Republican Senate leaders were expected Wednesday to tell Craig he should follow through on his intended resignation after his arrest in an airport bathroom sex sting.

He pleaded guilty to the disorderly conduct charge to last month.

"He's fighting this. He is innocent, and he believes that there's a good chance that he eventually will have this charge overturned and that the Ethics Committee won't act against him," Craig's spokesman, Dan Whiting, told KTVB-TV in Boise.

In consultation with the Senate's GOP leadership, Craig agreed to leave his leadership posts on Senate committees while the Senate Ethics Committee investigates the incident.

Craig's backtracking upset the Republican leaders, a Republican leadership aide said, because they thought Craig's intended resignation put the controversy behind them.
LOL All this is going to do is hurt the GOP.

Gunny
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
LOL All this is going to do is hurt the GOP.

How? Since most Republicans are calling for his resignation. Unlike when Democrats get busted and the Party rallies round and all you message board Dems start deflecting and tapdancing.

09-06-2007, 12:35 AM
when will criminal democrats resign?

stephanie
09-06-2007, 12:40 AM
I know when I was in my 20's, I was a parrot for the Democrat party...
But.....then I grew up...:cheers2:

nevadamedic
09-06-2007, 02:43 AM
I know when I was in my 20's, I was a parrot for the Democrat party...
But.....then I grew up...:cheers2:

Wasn't that back when Roosevelt was President? :laugh2:

KarlMarx
09-06-2007, 02:59 AM
This passage of scripture is all too relevant to the Democrat reaction to the incident involving Senator Craig

Matthew 7:1-6

1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

What do you care what helps or hurts the GOP? My guess is that you're hoping that it will do the latter. The front runner for President from your party has a very questionable reputation, to say the least. Her husband, the former president, didn't even bother leaving the White House and got several blow jobs from an intern half his age in the Oval Office.

Not a single Republican is standing up for Senator Craig. This is unlike your party, the party that still defends Clinton's perjury and other crimes as being "only about sex".

The party of Ted Kennedy, Barney Frank, the Clintons, Cold Cash Jefferson is in no position to dictate morality to anyone else.

When you clean house and throw out the scum of your party, then come back here and tell us to clean out ours.

Of course, if you did throw out the scum of your party, there wouldn't be anyone left, now would there?

gabosaurus
09-06-2007, 12:12 PM
To protect a "deviant" Republican, one must also invoke the specter of "deviant" Democrats. Because it is all about labels and parties.
Dude is gay. Republicans do not like gays. Thus, dude needs to resign.

theHawk
09-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Will the Dims call for the resignation of these corrupt officials?

CNN) -- Two mayors and two state legislators are among 11 public officials arrested in New Jersey as part of a corruption investigation, the U.S. attorney's office in Trenton announced Thursday.

Passaic Mayor Samuel Rivera is among 11 officials arrested Thursday in a corruption probe.

1 of 2 "The defendants allegedly demanded and accepted payments ranging from $1,500 to $17,500 at any one time," the release from the U.S. attorney's office alleges. "In most cases, the defendants sought to establish and perpetuate a corrupt relationship with the cooperating witnesses to continue receiving bribes."

State Assemblymen Mims Hackett Jr. and Alfred E. Steele -- both Democrats -- and Passaic Mayor Samuel Rivera are among those arrested, the news release says.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/09/06/nj.arrets/index.html

Opps, I guess not all is well in the Democrat party either is it?

TheStripey1
09-06-2007, 12:56 PM
How? Since most Republicans are calling for his resignation. Unlike when Democrats get busted and the Party rallies round and all you message board Dems start deflecting and tapdancing.

There are some things even the most hardened partisans can't stomach... like their leaders soliciting sex in a public men's room. Especially a senator that has shown himself to be one of their most ardent family values representatives...

It has always been my position that IF any congress critter is suspected of a crime, they should be investigated. And if after the investigation, the evidence gathered warrants it, indicted, prosecuted and if found guilty, sentenced and then incarcerated...

too bad the republicans right up to the top don't seem to agree with that...

TheStripey1
09-06-2007, 12:58 PM

dunno... maybe when they're found guilty... but Ava... Craig admitted his guilt... remember?

He copped a plea... 6 weeks after his arrest...

Gaffer
09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
dunno... maybe when they're found guilty... but Ava... Craig admitted his guilt... remember?

I would like to know why it took for months for this to come out? Was it withheld until some democrat shit was exposed so it could be brought forward to over shadow other news. Like Run Around Hsu for example.

TheStripey1
09-06-2007, 01:05 PM
What do you care what helps or hurts the GOP? My guess is that you're hoping that it will do the latter. The front runner for President from your party has a very questionable reputation, to say the least. Her husband, the former president, didn't even bother leaving the White House and got several blow jobs from an intern half his age in the Oval Office.

Not a single Republican is standing up for Senator Craig. This is unlike your party, the party that still defends Clinton's perjury and other crimes as being "only about sex".

The party of Ted Kennedy, Barney Frank, the Clintons, Cold Cash Jefferson is in no position to dictate morality to anyone else.

When you clean house and throw out the scum of your party, then come back here and tell us to clean out ours.

Of course, if you did throw out the scum of your party, there wouldn't be anyone left, now would there?

Are you equating getting a blow job from a woman you know, in the comfort of your office to getting a blow job from a strange man in a public restroom?

Whereas it may be true that many of our congressional critters suffer from lack of judgement, democrats, to their credit always seem to be more interested in attaining money that isn't theirs while the republicans always seem to have problems with sex and sexual orientation.

Shall we dredge up my thread from last spring on Corrupt Politicians? Cuz I never did finish it off... and I have hundreds of instances where members of your party have been caught with their pants down...

you want scum? I can show you scum and funny thing is, most of them have (R) by their name...

TheStripey1
09-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Will the Dims call for the resignation of these corrupt officials?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/09/06/nj.arrets/index.html

Opps, I guess not all is well in the Democrat party either is it?

yep... Dems get caught with their hand in the till and repubs get caught with their pants down...

TheStripey1
09-06-2007, 01:12 PM
I would like to know why it took for months for this to come out? Was it withheld until some democrat shit was exposed so it could be brought forward to over shadow other news. Like Run Around Hsu for example.

Good question... why don't you ask Senator Craig... since he's the one that kept his arrest a secret for two months... until he copped his plea, anyway...

run a round Hsu... that's cute... did you think it up?

Gaffer
09-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Good question... why don't you ask Senator Craig... since he's the one that kept his arrest a secret for two months... until he copped his plea, anyway...

run a round Hsu... that's cute... did you think it up?

Well he might have kept it secret until the court date. But the story didn't come out till another two months later. The media either wasn't paying attention or was sitting on it.

Actually Run Around Hsu came from Michele Malkins site. Someone posted their own lyrics and she posted them.

TheStripey1
09-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Well he might have kept it secret until the court date. But the story didn't come out till another two months later. The media either wasn't paying attention or was sitting on it.

Actually Run Around Hsu came from Michele Malkins site. Someone posted their own lyrics and she posted them.

Nope... your timing is off... he was arrested in June and copped his plea mid August, it's early September now... so it's been 3 months since he knew he was in trouble... why did he keep quiet? was he hoping noone would notice he got arrested for disorderly conduct and lewd behavior?

Probably? Was that wise? Obviously not. I guess he forgot about all the attack dog agencies out there paying people to keep track of public postings...

theHawk
09-06-2007, 01:58 PM

And your point is? I believe the Repubs asked for his resignation.

I still don't know what he did in that bathroom, but if he is a fag, he needs to be dismissed imediately.

TheStripey1
09-06-2007, 02:21 PM
And your point is? I believe the Repubs asked for his resignation.

I still don't know what he did in that bathroom, but if he is a fag, he needs to be dismissed imediately.

My point was in my post... perhaps you need to read ava's to see the context...

Originally Posted by avatar4321

Originally Posted by TheStripey1

so obviously, my point is in regard to ava's statement... clear now?

and hawk? the repubs may have called for Craig's resignation but he has decided to go against their wishes... did you miss that part of this thread?

What he did in the restroom has been documented and discussed repeatedly far and wide... were you asleep?

:poke:

Nothing wrong with being homosexual... what is wrong is being hypocritical about your own proclivities and legislating against them...

MtnBiker
09-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Are you equating getting a blow job from a woman you know, in the comfort of your office to getting a blow job from a strange man in a public restroom?

Who got a blow job from a strange man in a public restroom? When did that happen and how do you know it?

BTW Craig is stepping down, people can continue to celebrate.

theHawk
09-06-2007, 03:46 PM
and hawk? the repubs may have called for Craig's resignation but he has decided to go against their wishes... did you miss that part of this thread?
Yes I am aware of his possible recanting. And again I ask, what is your point? The Repubs asked him to step down. Whether he does or not is really his choice. I don't see what else Repubs can do except 'disown' him. What MORE do you want the Republicans to do? What MORE do you want us conservatives to do about it? As far as I know, Republicans ask their party members to step down even if they are just charged with something criminal. Yet the Democrats, have they even asked people like Rep Jefferson to step down? The man could very well serve the rest of his life in prison if found guilty yet its business as usual for the Dems. Have you become so blinded that you can't see this obvious difference between the two parties and their handling of ethics?

What he did in the restroom has been documented and discussed repeatedly far and wide... were you asleep?
I never heard a real clear story of what really happened, I'm sorry if I don't know about the whole bathroom sex thing with secret signals, lol. But like I said, its very suspect and if he is a homo he should resign.

Gunny
09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
To protect a "deviant" Republican, one must also invoke the specter of "deviant" Democrats. Because it is all about labels and parties.
Dude is gay. Republicans do not like gays. Thus, dude needs to resign.

The "spectre of deviant democrats" was hardly invoked. The double standard of Democrats wanting a Republican's head for ... uuummmm .... WHAT exactly? vs the tapdancing and ignoring y'all do of your own was pointed out.

April15
09-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Whether or not he resigns he should never have taken a plea deal if he was innocent! He should clear his name if he is not guilty! Until then the benfit of doubt should be given, Richard jewel was thought guilty too!

Gunny
09-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Whether or not he resigns he should never have taken a plea deal if he was innocent! He should clear his name if he is not guilty! Until then the benfit of doubt should be given, Richard jewel was thought guilty too!

People do it all the time. I've paid speeding tickets when I wasn't speeding just to not have to hassle with it.

April15
09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
People do it all the time. I've paid speeding tickets when I wasn't speeding just to not have to hassle with it.
I guess the principle of innocent is lost! I won't pay for what is not due. I think this guy has found out taking the easy way, isn't.