PDA

View Full Version : LCAC Ops

Elessar
09-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Gold Beach Oregon in June 2019:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gold+beach+oregon&view=detail&mid=80BF8C4CD981A945FC8D80BF8C4CD981A945FC8D&FORM=VIRE

SassyLady
09-10-2019, 01:04 AM
Really cool!

CSM
09-10-2019, 05:12 AM
Needs a few .50 cals and a 16" gun on those things .... just sayin

Gunny
09-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Needs a few .50 cals and a 16" gun on those things .... just sayinThe Marine Corps version has more than that, Sergeant Major. I hate them. You can bet if they was any way I could swing it, I flew or took the Amtrak. Maybe if somebody would inform the boat's pilot that LCACs in fact CANNOT fly ... :)

They look cool, I guess, and I'm sure some swear by them. I'll take the Frog leaking hydraulic fluid all over the place and destined to lose power at any given second :)

CSM
09-10-2019, 01:13 PM
The Marine Corps version has more than that, Sergeant Major. I hate them. You can bet if they was any way I could swing it, I flew or took the Amtrak. Maybe if somebody would inform the boat's pilot that LCACs in fact CANNOT fly ... :)

They look cool, I guess, and I'm sure some swear by them. I'll take the Frog leaking hydraulic fluid all over the place and destined to lose power at any given second :)

Those things are too high tech for me. I guess I am just getting old.

STTAB
09-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Old timers lol

Some of the comments in this thread are the same things our grandpas said about aircraft carriers back in the day

"that's too high tech, who needs to fly an aero plane off a ship? A good battleship is all you need"

Innovations like this are A) the reason we are the the best military in the world and B) actually help recruiting, that thing looks like an oversize remote control toy , much the same as training today mimics video games in so many respects

Elessar
09-10-2019, 02:55 PM
I had one incident with an LCAC while at USCG Sector Los Angeles - Long Beach.

An LCAC East of San Clemente Island broadcast a Pan-Pan message (Urgency call, but not a Mayday) that USCG San Diego did not hear.
Nor did FACSFAC San Diego reply. Why, I do not know.

So I put the LCAC on a 30 minute CommSked (Communications Schedule), got our ready Patrol Boat on line,
and called FACSFAC to tell them the LCAC had lost it's Skirt in 6 foot choppy seas. The Navy guy on watch said it was
no big deal and hung up. So I called Camp Pendelton since we did not have a number for the LCAC base
in Oceanside. Got a gruff USMC Gunny on the line, told him what was up, and he said "We'll just see about that"!:laugh:
2 minutes later FACSFAC was on the radio communicating with the craft. I kept the Patrol boat at B-0 until
the LCAC reached Oceanside.

STTAB
09-10-2019, 03:00 PM
I had one incident with an LCAC while at USCG Sector Los Angeles - Long Beach.

An LCAC East of San Clemente Island broadcast a Pan-Pan message (Urgency call, but not a Mayday) that USCG San Diego did not hear.
Nor did FACSFAC San Diego reply. Why, I do not know.

So I put the LCAC on a 30 minute CommSked (Communications Schedule), got our ready Patrol Boat on line,
and called FACSFAC to tell them the LCAC had lost it's Skirt in 6 foot choppy seas. The Navy guy on watch said it was
no big deal and hung up. So I called Camp Pendelton since we did not have a number for the LCAC base
in Oceanside. Got a gruff USMC Gunny on the line, told him what was up, and he said "We'll just see about that"!:laugh:
2 minutes later FACSFAC was on the radio communicating with the craft. I kept the Patrol boat at B-0 until
the LCAC reached Oceanside.
Grumpy old NCOs make me laugh .

Gunny
09-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Old timers lol

Some of the comments in this thread are the same things our grandpas said about aircraft carriers back in the day

"that's too high tech, who needs to fly an aero plane off a ship? A good battleship is all you need"

Innovations like this are A) the reason we are the the best military in the world and B) actually help recruiting, that thing looks like an oversize remote control toy , much the same as training today mimics video games in so many respectsScrew that notion. I'll the carrier AND the battle wagon. Nothing strikes fear into the hearts and minds of the enemy like (not) seeing the Mo blow their shit all over the place from halfway across the Gulf. A battleship is THE most cost efficient artillery platform we ever had. But we'd rather have cool new toys.

I don't like the LCAC because it's like riding a bronc in a rodeo. And as el mentioned, lose your skirt and you're done. While I say I'll take the Frog (CH-47), it would actually now be an Osprey. Nothing we had when I retired appears to be current anymore. Even me :laugh:

Gunny
09-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Those things are too high tech for me. I guess I am just getting old.True that, Sergeant Major. I'm not against high tech, but I have to wonder about the serviceability of some of the stuff. Give me a .45 and an M-14 and as long as I got a bore punch and ammo I'm in business. All this "cool looking" stuff looks like to much work and more shit to go wrong when least desired.

SassyLady
09-10-2019, 07:56 PM
High tech is hackable. And, how well does any of the new stuff work if there's an EMP attack?

CSM
09-11-2019, 05:40 AM
Old timers lol

Innovations like this are A) the reason we are the the best military in the world and B) actually help recruiting, that thing looks like an oversize remote control toy , much the same as training today mimics video games in so many respects

As Gunny said, I am not against high tech stuff. Heck, my current job deals with a lot of that cutting edge stuff. That said, you are just as dead whether you are killed by a .50 cal musket ball or a tactical nuclear hand grenade. Sometimes, the simpler, low tech stuff is far more durable than the new toys and a lot less expensive (dollar wise). I sure as hell would not want to fly against an F-16 in a WWI biplane. On the other hand, put a spear in the front tire on the F-16 landing gear and it isn't going anywhere....

I wonder if soldiers can even shoot accurately anymore with just iron sights. Not that all the new scopes and sights don't work, mind you but they are a lot more delicate than the stuff I used to carry.

STTAB
09-11-2019, 07:41 AM
As Gunny said, I am not against high tech stuff. Heck, my current job deals with a lot of that cutting edge stuff. That said, you are just as dead whether you are killed by a .50 cal musket ball or a tactical nuclear hand grenade. Sometimes, the simpler, low tech stuff is far more durable than the new toys and a lot less expensive (dollar wise). I sure as hell would not want to fly against an F-16 in a WWI biplane. On the other hand, put a spear in the front tire on the F-16 landing gear and it isn't going anywhere....

I wonder if soldiers can even shoot accurately anymore with just iron sights. Not that all the new scopes and sights don't work, mind you but they are a lot more delicate than the stuff I used to carry.
My sons are still in the Army and they both practice regularly with open sights. Neither of them are SF or anything like that, I think that is where they exclusively use scopes and such for the most part.

Elessar
09-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Interesting tidbit came to mind.

Los Angeles County Fire Dept has an MOU (Memorandum Of Understanding) with the Navy
to provide LCAC's to transport Firefighting apparatus to Catalina Island if a fire breaks out
there that exceeds the limits of the Fire Dept on the island.

CSM
09-11-2019, 08:54 AM
My sons are still in the Army and they both practice regularly with open sights. Neither of them are SF or anything like that, I think that is where they exclusively use scopes and such for the most part.

I dunno. 3 of my sons are still in and they have scopes. They are FA so nothing special about their missions either. I guess it depends on types of deployment etc.

If you think grumpy old NCOs make YOU laugh, you should here what they think and say about staff officers....

STTAB
09-11-2019, 01:52 PM
I dunno. 3 of my sons are still in and they have scopes. They are FA so nothing special about their missions either. I guess it depends on types of deployment etc.

If you think grumpy old NCOs make YOU laugh, you should here what they think and say about staff officers....
I KNOW what they think about staff officers LOL I meant their gruffness makes me laugh. As I've posted on here a LOT , I was raised up right, I knew to respect my NCOs.