PDA

View Full Version : NM Is A No Good Double Crossing Forum Form Stealing motherfucker

OCA
09-05-2007, 10:25 PM
ROTFLMFAO! You can't even debate and you steal ideas and start up a board?

NM you are so unfucking unoriginal that you copycatted this joint almost word for word, you talk about me fucking Jimmy over, YOU JUST FUCKED HIM IN THE ASS SANS CONDOM AND LUBE!

If i'm Jimmy, I permaban you right now and sue you.

manu1959
09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
sorry.....but i am so sick of this shit...

OCA
09-05-2007, 10:31 PM
sorry.....but i am so sick of this shit...

Ok Manu, you been to his new site yet?

Well really you don't have to because its this place almost word for word and forum for forum. Where i'm from thats called stealing and if technically it ain't stealing it sure as hell is backstabbing.

jimnyc
09-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I no longer have a desire to ban people. I've lost the "fight", which can be both good and bad. I'd like to temper myself to where I don't make mistakes and scare people away, but I'm also losing the desire to bring things here to it's fullest potential.

Yes, I found out about NM's new board as well. The rules when I first saw it were copied word for word from here. The forum names almost identical, as well as the forum order. To his credit, he didn't exactly try to hide the idea, but I do see a few members from here and other boards there already.

I don't own anyone here, nor does anyone here owe me a damn thing. The internet is a big place, we're all adults, and everyone is free to post at a place that they feel most comfortable. I've tried my best to offer such a place, and at times I think I've succeeded and at other times I know I seriously insulted some people and scared them away. But I continued to do my best, and what I thought was in the best interest of this community to move us all forward.

I make no money here, that's a given. But I have poured a lot of my own into it, not to mention countless hours of time and energy. I guess I can feel kind of flattered that someone would want to "imitate" what I've built.

The board members themselves will ultimately have to decide what is in their own best interests. There are members here that post within at least 3 other boards that I know of. Lately, I've seen a bunch of members fluctuating around between all these boards. I don't know if it's looking for controversy, or looking for a place to call "home". The best I can do is open the doors and offer a mat to those that would like to stay. And to those that would prefer to go elsewhere, I hold no ill feelings and thank them for the fond memories from this board as well as my old board.

But I won't hide the fact that other boards exist. I won't ban people for asking others to go elsewhere. I won't beg anyone to stay. The only thing I can do is continue being true to my beliefs and to myself, and continue trying to build a place where people enjoy to come and hang for awhile. Just like bars in the city, there's a lot of them, and sometimes we like to do a little "bar hopping" - but there's always that one place that is special to you "where everyone knows your name". I'm still holding out hope that this can be that place for everyone.

manu1959
09-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Ok Manu, you been to his new site yet?

Well really you don't have to because its this place almost word for word and forum for forum. Where i'm from thats called stealing and if technically it ain't stealing it sure as hell is backstabbing.

my mistake....i understand now.....thought you were starting another war......carry on

OCA
09-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I no longer have a desire to ban people. I've lost the "fight", which can be both good and bad. I'd like to temper myself to where I don't make mistakes and scare people away, but I'm also losing the desire to bring things here to it's fullest potential.

Yes, I found out about NM's new board as well. The rules when I first saw it were copied word for word from here. The forum names almost identical, as well as the forum order. To his credit, he didn't exactly try to hide the idea, but I do see a few members from here and other boards there already.

I don't own anyone here, nor does anyone here owe me a damn thing. The internet is a big place, we're all adults, and everyone is free to post at a place that they feel most comfortable. I've tried my best to offer such a place, and at times I think I've succeeded and at other times I know I seriously insulted some people and scared them away. But I continued to do my best, and what I thought was in the best interest of this community to move us all forward.

I make no money here, that's a given. But I have poured a lot of my own into it, not to mention countless hours of time and energy. I guess I can feel kind of flattered that someone would want to "imitate" what I've built.

The board members themselves will ultimately have to decide what is in their own best interests. There are members here that post within at least 3 other boards that I know of. Lately, I've seen a bunch of members fluctuating around between all these boards. I don't know if it's looking for controversy, or looking for a place to call "home". The best I can do is open the doors and offer a mat to those that would like to stay. And to those that would prefer to go elsewhere, I hold no ill feelings and thank them for the fond memories from this board as well as my old board.

But I won't hide the fact that other boards exist. I won't ban people for asking others to go elsewhere. I won't beg anyone to stay. The only thing I can do is continue being true to my beliefs and to myself, and continue trying to build a place where people enjoy to come and hang for awhile. Just like bars in the city, there's a lot of them, and sometimes we like to do a little "bar hopping" - but there's always that one place that is special to you "where everyone knows your name". I'm still holding out hope that this can be that place for everyone.

Horseshit! Don't let this sumbitch sap your will! He's like a freakin tick who will suck you dry if not properly removed.

Rules copied word for word, eh? Must be why that thing is locked on his board. I wouldn't look at it as flattery Jimmy, i'd look at it as thievin'!

82Marine89
09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Amazing what a person can afford on disability.

FWIW, I think I'll call this place home for a while, or at least until I wear out my welcome.

jimnyc
09-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Horseshit! Don't let this sumbitch sap your will! He's like a freakin tick who will suck you dry if not properly removed.

Rules copied word for word, eh? Must be why that thing is locked on his board. I wouldn't look at it as flattery Jimmy, i'd look at it as thievin'!

I politely asked him to remove "my" words, and he complied. Not much else you can do. The internet is a large place and forums are a dime a dozen when you use free hosts and free forum software.

I've had a lot of "personal" issues come up in the past few months, and past week, and have slowly been losing my initiative to do a lot of things, and neglecting the future interest if this board was one of them. While my personal health is of paramount importance, maybe some of my initiative will return as a result. But I have no desire to start wars or toss people away from here. Members can not only make their own decisions as to where to go, but also as to who are the "true family" here. Even are most hardened enemies in debates become family once they get past a certain point. There were members that I admittedly despised at certain points, and have learned to grow very fond of after learning the "true" them rather than their political points of view.

What will be, will be, I suppose.

shattered
09-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Wow.. That's pretty low...

OCA
09-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Nevada,
Saw you read this thread and then logoff, thats probably your best bet, you are exposed as the morally bankrupt individual i've always known you to be.

Around the Greeks a thief is the lowest thing you could be, better to be a junkie than a thief.

OCA
09-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Wow.. That's pretty low...

Yes, as a matter of fact it is quite low.

darin
09-05-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm now hopped up on Codiene, ultram and beer, sitting here in my underwear and the lap top is heating up my thighs.

OCA
09-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I politely asked him to remove "my" words, and he complied. Not much else you can do. The internet is a large place and forums are a dime a dozen when you use free hosts and free forum software.

I've had a lot of "personal" issues come up in the past few months, and past week, and have slowly been losing my initiative to do a lot of things, and neglecting the future interest if this board was one of them. While my personal health is of paramount importance, maybe some of my initiative will return as a result. But I have no desire to start wars or toss people away from here. Members can not only make their own decisions as to where to go, but also as to who are the "true family" here. Even are most hardened enemies in debates become family once they get past a certain point. There were members that I admittedly despised at certain points, and have learned to grow very fond of after learning the "true" them rather than their political points of view.

I'm not talking about making people choose between two boards i'm talking stealing ideas. Sure I know you don't have none of the shit copyrighted here, hell who would've thunk someone would do you dirty like this?

Its like lets say you worked in a restaurant, you saved your money and opened your own restaurant only the menu at the new joint is exactly the same as the one you worked in, menus aren't copyrighted but that would still be stealing on a personal level.

82Marine89
09-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Nevada,
Saw you read this thread and then logoff, thats probably your best bet, you are exposed as the morally bankrupt individual i've always known you to be.

Around the Greeks a thief is the lowest thing you could be, better to be a junkie than a thief.

Amongst the Italians a thief is also the worst thing you could be. I also feel that if he is a thief, then he must have also lied about his past history.

jimnyc
09-05-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm now hopped up on Codiene, ultram and beer, sitting here in my underwear and the lap top is heating up my thighs.

Gotta say, I'm a bit depressed, but that just had me cracking up for a few seconds. I'd give my left gonad for some codeine and a beer right now! :)

darin
09-05-2007, 11:03 PM
I'll get you a boob pic - that'll keep your spirits up for a bit okay? You want MINE or hers?

:)

Dude - go to Canada - ANY pharmacy...buy 222's. (tylenol and Codeine). :)

The Ultram is weird - I took it about 8pm last night...I didn't start FEELING it until about 7 am this morning...felt it until about two hours ago.

OCA
09-05-2007, 11:04 PM

As one who has seen you in person...........well fuck it, i'll tell myself that Mary is there next to you in her undies...........hopped up on x and Grey Goose and horny as hell...........pining for you of course!

You thought I was fantasizing about her and me, admit it.

OCA
09-05-2007, 11:05 PM
You thought I was fantasizing about her and me, admit it.

Ok, maybe I was, a little:laugh2:

darin
09-05-2007, 11:07 PM
lmao ;)

diuretic
09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Cheer up Jim, remember that old bullshit about "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery"? Well whoever invented that was a wanker.

The bloke who came up with that did so because some big bastard was about to belt him one with a piece of two by four for imitating his cave art.

"But Gog, don't you know, 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'?"

Gog thought about this for a while and put down the piece of two by four.

That's the only reason most of us are here today. If Gog had flattened that little bastard who pinched his best ideas then whole genetic lines of people wouldn't be here :laugh2:

Anyway I like the colour scheme here. Blue suits me, I look bloody terrible in green, one reason I didn't join the Army :D

manu1959
09-05-2007, 11:14 PM
i vote we all go be liberals at nm's board....

82Marine89
09-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I vote we all put him on ignore.

MtnBiker
09-05-2007, 11:19 PM

That's hilarous! :laugh2:

Kathianne
09-05-2007, 11:23 PM

Now that is getting interesting, not mind you, exciting, but interesting. ;)

MtnBiker
09-05-2007, 11:23 PM
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2006/03-07/weeder.gif

Kathianne
09-05-2007, 11:26 PM
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2006/03-07/weeder.gif

OMG, what is it that woman is pulling up? :laugh2:

MtnBiker
09-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Just pulling weeds. ;)

Kathianne
09-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Just pulling weeds. ;)

You sir, are not one of them.

MtnBiker
09-05-2007, 11:34 PM
You sir, are not one of them.

And neither are you! :beer:

diuretic
09-06-2007, 12:02 AM

I'll draw up the training plan, think of it as just another conversion course :laugh2:

-Cp
09-06-2007, 12:15 AM

He's hosting on a free host and he's using PHPBB which is a free forum software...

LiberalNation
09-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Heard about this before on another board. Yeah he shouldn't have copycated things like the rules and such but there's no law against starting a board and you can't force members to stay at yours. Sites that ban you even mentioning another board are crazy.

I've always posted on a bunch of boards, never had a board "home". WHy limit yourself to one place. As for nms board, don't really like the free ones features. Prolly not a place I'd play on.

Jon
09-06-2007, 03:29 AM

:(

Be very careful D. Ultram can be dangerous if taken with drugs and other pain meds:

<iframe src="http://www.drugs.com/ultram.html" height="500" width="100%"></iframe>

JohnDoe
09-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Gotta say, I'm a bit depressed, but that just had me cracking up for a few seconds. I'd give my left gonad for some codeine and a beer right now! :)

ugh! Not me! I am alergic to Codine....it is weird....

One, if I don't throw up right after taking it, then I end up with the sweats and with extremely bad nightmares....

Which the first few times taking it, I just thought the nightmares were from being real sick....

But then a few years after this, I had it prescribed again, and I had the same reactions to it, and low and behold, when I told the doctor he said this was an alergic reaction to it or something like this, soo, no more codine for me!

Jim, you are such a cool dude! I just had to get that off my chest! :)

Now, I don't know where or what you are talking about....but I have seen Nevada on another board....but all of the people on this site seem to be participants on this " " other board, including me, until someone on that board, RSR, told me about this board....so I joined here....

I would not be here if there were not crossing over of boards?

And as far as boards being similar, there is another board that I frequent that is set up the same as this, but I haven't been there in a while.

As far as cross over articles, I think that is okay too, you might catch a few different posters on the various boards that give a spark to it...ya know?

and all boards need a post/ copy and paste whore....they may not have an opinion....but it gets others talking?

jd

jimnyc
09-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Now, I don't know where or what you are talking about....but I have seen Nevada on another board....but all of the people on this site seem to be participants on this " " other board, including me, until someone on that board, RSR, told me about this board....so I joined here....

JD, first off, thank you for the kind words!

Yes, we all know of other boards. I'm a member myself at almost all of them. And many others participate at multiple boards. That's cool, and that's how word generally gets out (word of mouth) about other sites. This isn't about other boards, or posting at other boards, or members deciding to post elsewhere for whatever reason.

What happened here is a member started his own board. The forum names were named almost identically to this one. The order of the forums setup is almost identical to this one. The initial set of rules that were on display were literally copied and pasted from this site. The funny thing is, a staff member at even another board had contacted me directly about 8 months ago or so. She said she was impressed with the way my rules were written and wanted to know if it was ok to use them to a certain extent at their board. I happily said yes. I was flattered that they thought this way and I saw no harm. And I was equally happy that they were respectful enough to ask for my permission.

I'm a team player, even with other boards. While I've had my share of arguments with players from other boards, I've tried my best to retain friendships with those in charge at said boards.

But outright "stealing" the layout and wording is inexcusable. I can't control members but I am rather fond of my own creations. And while nothing is firmly copyrighted on my site, there is still "implied trademarks" and every piece of code and post that gets made here becomes property of DP. Just because something might not be patented, or filed with some authority office, does not mean it's not protected. You can't simply troll around the internet and take code and/or words from other sites.

I have no desire to pursue something so petty. All I asked was to have my rules removed, and said member immediately complied. So to that end, I no longer really am concerned about what may transpire there, so long as things are continued in a respectful manner.

I'll tell everyone the same thing, if you think it's easy, and you can make it work, go for it! It's not the first time I've seen things stolen from a site of mine, and won't be the last. It's not the first time a member has tried to open a "competing" board, more like the 5th or 6th time! If they can be successful, more power to them.

I can only control this place and it's future, and that's where I plan on concentrating my efforts.

PostmodernProphet
09-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm confused.....isn't this good news?.....if he has a board to run, it will cut his time here considerably......

jimnyc
09-06-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm confused.....isn't this good news?.....if he has a board to run, it will cut his time here considerably......

You aren't the first to say this and probably won't be the last. Honestly, I personally never had a problem with him before. I can go weeks without posting, and then there are days I can be the post whore! Sometimes life's circumstances might dictate how much time we spend online.

But I guess for those that were frustrated with his post count and quality of posts, yes, this would be good news for them. But I could do without the extra drama right now, we have enough of that on a normal day around here!

PostmodernProphet
09-06-2007, 08:24 AM
I read the paper and post to this board while the TV is on.....the best way to treat 'drama' is as background noise.....

shattered
09-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Starting your own board is one thing, and perfectly acceptable - there's plenty of software out there that's free. Hell, I did it just to see if I could put together a decent looking one.

To steal from the one where you spend 24/7, and where the board owner, and Admins have cut one more slack than should be deserved is just cheesy as hell, and IMO speaks loudly about the type of person, and lack of morals, values, and decency.

TheStripey1
09-06-2007, 12:30 PM

I make no secret of the fact that I travel about on the internets... it's fun and you get to meet a lot of interesting screen personnas, so I don't really have one site I call home... but that being said, I know some like the idea of a home board... Even righties need a place to call home and you provide them that with your board here...

I've been to boards where the owners solicit "subscriptions" from their most prolific posters and offer them "benefits" that most other boards give away for free. You might consider trying that if your money gets too tight to keep DP open.

FWIW, I think I'll call this place home for a while, or at least until I wear out my welcome.

There are free sites with free software... all you add is your time... if he's on disability, then he has the time... shrugs...

YOUR health should always be your number one concern...

TMI, but you made me laff... :coffee:

I double dawg dare ya!

He's hosting on a free host and he's using PHPBB which is a free forum software...

EZ 2 do then... NM should Ahave done his own layout, true but it's funny to see oca with his knickers in such a knot... :coffee:

I've been on so many boards, they all seem to blend together at this point, but... I have to say, it ain't the layout that makes a board...

it's the people.

An excellent point, PP... :lol: and I repped you for it...

Dayum... this guy is a dynamo when it comes to posting... over 8000 posts since joining in May? Dayummmmmmmmmmm, I sure am glad his arrival and my departure coincided...

There are free sites with free software... all you add is your time... if he's on disability, then he has the time... shrugs...

Roomy
09-07-2007, 11:11 AM
What has he done wrong exactly apart from borrowing a few words?

glockmail
09-07-2007, 12:49 PM
But outright "stealing" the layout and wording is inexcusable. .....

Ever seen this thief? http://www.drudge.com/

dan
09-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Roomy, you magnificent bastard!

jimnyc
09-07-2007, 02:25 PM

Ever seen this thief? http://www.drudge.com/

Copying an 'outline' of someone else's site is technically fine, unless of course you actually steal the source code. But developed from the ground up to be 'similar' is kind of petty, but not unlawful.

To answer your question, Roomy - He didn't "borrow" a few words - he STOLE them - you know, when you take stuff without permission? And I don't consider myself a creative artist. Had he ASKED ahead of time I would likely have let him use my words. But to do so without seeking permission is stealing. Imitation I can be flattered by but...

OCA
09-07-2007, 02:48 PM

Borrowing? What the fuck, was he going to return them like a set of plates?

He copied and pasted the rules from here without asking permission, thats thievin'.

Yurt
09-07-2007, 02:55 PM

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

We really need a *spits drink* avi. Good lord I can't stop laughing....

Yurt
09-07-2007, 02:57 PM

wouldn't that help his board :poke:

dan
09-07-2007, 05:47 PM
We should all go over there and post nothing but.....

:popcorn: or 'Huh?'

dan
09-07-2007, 05:48 PM

I'm almost certain there used to be one at one time, though that may have been at the other board.

Roomy
09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
It just seems like a lot of fuss over nothing if you ask me, nobody died or anything did they?
Has anyone got a link to nevadas site:laugh2:

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 08:37 AM
It just seems like a lot of fuss over nothing if you ask me, nobody died or anything did they?
Has anyone got a link to nevadas site:laugh2:

Maybe if it was your property stolen you wouldn't see it as "nothing".

Do a search on Google for "shit website", I'll bet it's in there somewhere.

shattered
09-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Can I be offended that he stole my words, too (if he did)? Since one sentence in those rules is MY doing? :coffee:

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Can I be offended that he stole my words, too (if he did)? Since one sentence in those rules is MY doing? :coffee:

You aren't allowed to be offended...

until I see the boobies

shattered
09-08-2007, 08:45 AM
You aren't allowed to be offended...

until I see the boobies

Then maybe I'll just be offended that you keep asking about boobies. :finger3:

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Then maybe I'll just be offended that you keep asking about boobies. :finger3:

I'm offended by that statement! It's my natural right as an American citizen!

Roomy
09-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe if it was your property stolen you wouldn't see it as "nothing".

Do a search on Google for "shit website", I'll bet it's in there somewhere.

I was once told I could not delete my posts from a messageboard board because once posted they became the property of the board owner.I disagreed but I didn't cry about it.......much.:cool:

shattered
09-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm offended by that statement! It's my natural right as an American citizen!

American Citizens have no natural rights, unless they're consistent with the left-leaning population.

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I was once told I could not delete my posts from a messageboard board because once posted they became the property of the board owner.I disagreed but I didn't cry about it.......much.:cool:

You can disagree with that, but it's the truth. The owner of a message board owns the website, and all posts that are made on said site. Members "choose" to post their words, that then become property of the domain/website owner.

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 08:58 AM
American Citizens have no natural rights, unless they're consistent with the left-leaning population.

I know I saw my rights to boobies in the constitution once. Rumor has it that Bush/Cheney were involved in having it removed.

Roomy
09-08-2007, 09:09 AM
You can disagree with that, but it's the truth. The owner of a message board owns the website, and all posts that are made on said site. Members "choose" to post their words, that then become property of the domain/website owner.

Is that legally binding then?

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 09:11 AM

Absolutely. I belong to several legal forums and the question has been posed many times. It doesn't give the owner of the site the right to reproduce protected material that may be posted, but the member has no defense in having their own posts removed.

What defense do you possibly think that could be shown to a court to convince them that any posts should be removed?

Roomy
09-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Absolutely. I belong to several legal forums and the question has been posed many times. It doesn't give the owner of the site the right to reproduce protected material that may be posted, but the member has no defense in having their own posts removed.

What defense do you possibly think that could be shown to a court to convince them that any posts should be removed?

I think the entire notion is ridiculous from all perspectives.

diuretic
09-08-2007, 09:19 AM

It probably is, depending on the terms and conditions agreed upon when someone becomes a member.

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 09:22 AM
I think the entire notion is ridiculous from all perspectives.

Not exactly a good legal argument!

Roomy
09-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Not exactly a good legal argument!

I wasn't making one, all I did was ask a question, m'lud.

CockySOB
09-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Erm, only partially. As a legal issue of copyright and intellectual property, the original author maintains ownership of their posts (content-wise). The board owner becomes a de facto publisher of the content, and as such as some rights concerning copyright as well, but the content itself is still considered to be the intellectual property of the original poster.

Something board owners/operators have to consider when laying claim to content is whether they want to assume the legal liability for such posted content. Case law in the USA has been that board owners are NOT legally liable for content posted on their site by (anonymous) users. The premise behind such rulings is that the original poster is the "owner" of the post content and the thoughts/intentions therein, not the owner/operator of the board.

For example, my posts are my intellectual property and I maintain primary copyright on the works. Jim as the board owner has limited right to reproduce those posts, but cannot present such material as his own works (plagiarism).

Again the standard disclaimer applies: I am not a lawyer, and any commentary is worth exactly what you paid for it.

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 11:41 AM
That is correct, Cocky, which is why I mentioned myself that the works cannot be reproduced. But once posted, the "post" becomes property of the board. The "poster" hasn't a leg to stand on as far as having posts deleted. At least not just because they want them deleted because they no longer wish to be a member at said site.

CockySOB
09-08-2007, 12:07 PM
That is correct, Cocky, which is why I mentioned myself that the works cannot be reproduced. But once posted, the "post" becomes property of the board. The "poster" hasn't a leg to stand on as far as having posts deleted. At least not just because they want them deleted because they no longer wish to be a member at said site.

The post itself (the record in the database) is the property of the board owner, but if the board allows the user to change or delete that record, then the board has no legal standing should the user make the decision to alter the record. The issue of material possession is that of the physical server, the logical database and the application software implementation. The content of a given post is still subject to intellectual property and copyright law.

What I'm getting at is this: if the board software allows, and administration has configured the options to allow it, a user can change or remove their content at-will with no legal repercussions. However, if the board software doesn't allow, or board administration has configured the software to prevent content modification or removal by the user, circumventing such restrictions/limitations could constitute criminal trespass and vandalism to a computer system.

As to the question of a user who requests their posts to be deleted, that is up to the discretion of the board owner or administration - there is no inherent right for an individual to "take back" something they post to an online forum. If that user decides to use an available function of the board software to edit their own posts and replace or remove their content, then they are within their right to do so.

It's rather an interesting ballet between content-provider and content-publisher which has parallels to written media. But for all the parallels, there are significant differences which come to the forefront because of technology.

Roomy
09-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks Cocky.

"If that user decides to use an available function of the board software to edit their own posts and replace or remove their content, then they are within their right to do so."

I suppose that also allows for the board owner to disable the function that allows the poster to delete posts?
I don't care anymore.LOL.

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Agreed, Cocky, VERY well stated!

Let me add - the "poster" still retains copyright of their own posts, and still has the right to reproduce their OWN posts anywhere they choose. Just as the "site" cannot reproduce the "posters" material anywhere else.

Also, TOS & rules of a site play a big part, but are not 'always' accepted in a court of law.

And lastly, and maybe not 'always', but said poster would likely end up having to file a lawsuit. And if they did, they would need to do so in my home state, after they spend money to find me. Traveling expenses and lodging are not reimbursed in such cases. In other words, it would cost a lot if someone wanted to fight the issue. Then again, defending one's self is not cheap either!

And VERY lastly, all the poster technically has a legal leg to stand on regarding removal is their "account" - which can easily be done by changing all of their personal information in their account and disabling it.

Sounds like a lot of legal wrangling over nothing to me. And 99 out of 100 times when this comes up, said posters simply want their posts deleted because they are angry at the forum, and not over any copyright or IP issues.

Roomy
09-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Agreed, Cocky, VERY well stated!

And 99 out of 100 times when this comes up, said posters simply want their posts deleted because they are angry at the forum, and not over any copyright or IP issues.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: you remembered:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I suppose that also allows for the board owner to disable the function that allows the poster to delete posts?
I don't care anymore.LOL.

That's correct! LOL

Or, in many cases, limit the time a user has to edit and/or delete their own content. Say for example, the right to edit a post for 1 hour and the right to delete a post for 1 week.

I had a user once deleting his own posts, and they were all posts that started threads. You delete the post that started the thread - and all subsequent posts are taken away with it. Not good!

So it's not always the owner being a dick about it, but also looking out for the boards best interest. If someone truly had an issue with posts they made, and it wasn't just to be a pain, I'd be more than happy to work with them.

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 12:19 PM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: you remembered:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Go have another lager, ya bastard!

CockySOB
09-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks, Jim. It was my intent to help clarify some of the issues facing online communities today. There's always a lot of confusion or misunderstanding about what can and cannot be done, not just from a technical aspect, but also from a legal aspect.

82Marine89
09-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Back on topic...

NM Is A No Good Double Crossing Forum Form Stealing motherfucker

Guernicaa
09-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Whats the link to the website??????

I've said from the beginning I started arguing with him, he's a fucking idiot.

jimnyc
09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Whats the link to the website??????

I've said from the beginning I started arguing with him, he's a fucking idiot.

Trust me, don't even bother. Just open a PHPBB forum, make 5 posts, and you'll see what he has!

Guernicaa
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Trust me, don't even bother. Just open a PHPBB forum, make 5 posts, and you'll see what he has!
lol ahahahah I just saw it.

Thats so funny hes such a fuckin loser. The backround and setup is mad shitty.
HAHAHA he made his partner in retardation the other administrator.

Don't worry Jim. Nobody in their right fucking mind would post on that excuse of a board.

Guernicaa
09-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Pale wrote this:

We're going to make this the hottest new debate forum on the net. We have a ways to go, but that's half the fun of it, being one of the first here.

So settle in, bookmark us, and start posting. The first fifty people will be recognized as "charter members."

LMAO!!ahahahahhahhaha!!!!!

jackass
09-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Pale wrote this:

LMAO!!ahahahahhahhaha!!!!!

Pale is posting in NM's website??? :eek:

Guernicaa
09-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Pale is posting in NM's website??? :eek:
Nevada made Pale an administrator!! hahahahahahah

jackass
09-09-2007, 06:58 PM

Holy shit! I may have to join just to watch the circus!! :laugh2:

glockmail
09-09-2007, 07:44 PM

I just opened one up myself, piggy-backed off my company server, and using phpBB software. My purpose is different though. I'm only allowing my relatives, real world friends, and their friends to post on it. I'm strictly controlling the members, as its "rated G" and has personal information on it. Sorry y'all, but there will be no crossover between this site and mine, for obvious reasons.

shattered
09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
PALE stooped that low?

I'm actually surprised, and pretty disappointed. :(

LiberalNation
09-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Well ya know he had a big fallout here, why not?

Tho not a very good way at getting back, that board doesn't have much activity that I can see.

82Marine89
09-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Well ya know he had a big fallout here, why not?

Tho not a very good way at getting back, that board doesn't have much activity that I can see.

What happened? What did I miss?

dan
09-09-2007, 10:32 PM

I'm wondering this myself. Wasn't it just a month or so ago when Pale wanted NM banned? This is like Superman going to work for Lex Luthor!

jimnyc
09-10-2007, 06:00 AM
I never had a personal problem with NM. He thought I did on several occasions but I made it clear to him in PM that I didn't. I could nitpick about posting habits but that didn't make me feel any differently about the guy personally. He seemed like a friendly guy that had a lot of time on his hands due to a disability. And while I don't hate him now for his most recent actions, I wish he could have done it in a better manner. But again, he did in fact remove the material almost immediately when asked. But I do find it funny that both mentioned other forums have the same 'outline' as this one with pretty much the same forum names, almost in the same order.

I'm not going to go in depth about the matter with Pale. He was a good friend of mine for nearly 4 years and I thoroughly enjoyed his company both here on the board and through a few telephone chats we had. IMO, he received a well deserved temporary ban for the last couple of posts he made here on the board. He was quite upset with this decision and made it known. His reaction to this decision went a little beyond what most would think is acceptable.

JohnDoe
09-10-2007, 06:16 AM

I know I am not really an insider yet, but if you get the real scoop on this will you or SOMEONE please fill me in too!!! pm is fine if it can't be said out loud or something???????????

What the heck is going on here?

jd

dan
09-10-2007, 07:30 AM
The most insulting thing, I think, is that NM stopped posting here altogether as soon as he stole the board format, etc.

I know I am not really an insider yet, but if you get the real scoop on this will you or SOMEONE please fill me in too!!! pm is fine if it can't be said out loud or something???????????

What the heck is going on here?

Seconded.

glockmail
09-10-2007, 07:35 AM

I'm not going to go in depth about the matter with Pale. He was a good friend of mine for nearly 4 years and I thoroughly enjoyed his company both here on the board and through a few telephone chats we had. IMO, he received a well deserved temporary ban for the last couple of posts he made here on the board. He was quite upset with this decision and made it known. His reaction to this decision went a little beyond what most would think is acceptable.

I totally missed the whole thing. Pale's a great guy IMO.

LiberalNation
09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Seconded.
Nobody look at me, I don't know much of anything. This was between jim and pale as far as I can figure. I can of course guess what happened, that's easy, anybody coulda predicted it, but that ain't real scoop.

hjmick
09-10-2007, 10:59 AM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/party_47.gif

Will that do?

82Marine89
09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
The most insulting thing, I think, is that NM stopped posting here altogether as soon as he stole the board format, etc.

Actually, it's a blessing. Pale will be missed and I hope that maybe one day he can return, but NM, he can drink a bottle of Drano and I wouldn't care.

Missileman
09-10-2007, 09:51 PM

:lmao:

I can't stop laughing. I'll bet PRs on the horn signing Archie up as a mod too. Here's a visual of the PR/NM relationship: