PDA

View Full Version : I hate parents

STTAB
09-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Last year I convinced the rest of our school board to vote to provide free lunches to every child. No students pay for lunches. It's just so much easier this way and it doesn't cost THAT much (especially considering that my brother is the VP of the company that supplies us and has worked a deal with his boss where they donate $.50 in food for every dollar that we buy) anyway it eliminates the entire hassle of collecting from parents, plus the embarrassment of some kids being on free or reduced price lunches, etc etc.

Anyway, we also offer breakfast but it isn't free. It's a $1 for elementary and middle school, $1.50 for high schoolers.. I mean there is only so much money to go around.

Well just this afternoon I get a text from an irate parent . They have been sending their two children aged 9 and 11 in early every morning for breakfast, but no one has been paying. Seems as though the school sent out reminder notices last week to get parents to pay, and this guy claims that he shouldn't have to pay because he didn't realize that there was a charge for breakfasts even though I have a signed form from his saying that he read the student handbook which includes the information about lunches being free but breakfast was before school and optional and that there would be a $1 per day charge per student.

"no one reads those things" he said.

"well why would you sing saying you'd read something you had not read?" I thought was a reasonable question.

LULZ The guy just unloaded on my about illegal alien children being treated better than children of US citizens etc etc. I was like "um sir, I don't care where you were born, if you want us to feed your children breakfast it's $1 a day per child"

Then he went off on "of course you stick up for illegals, you married one" LOL My wife was born right here in Arkansas to legal US citizens

Then the guy he'd "see me around town" whatever the hell that means, I suppose it was meant to be a threat LOL

The moral of this story is good God people suck, even when you give them a free lunch, they want a free breakfast too.

Kathianne
09-30-2019, 01:47 PM
Last year I convinced the rest of our school board to vote to provide free lunches to every child. No students pay for lunches. It's just so much easier this way and it doesn't cost THAT much (especially considering that my brother is the VP of the company that supplies us and has worked a deal with his boss where they donate $.50 in food for every dollar that we buy) anyway it eliminates the entire hassle of collecting from parents, plus the embarrassment of some kids being on free or reduced price lunches, etc etc.

Anyway, we also offer breakfast but it isn't free. It's a $1 for elementary and middle school, $1.50 for high schoolers.. I mean there is only so much money to go around.

Well just this afternoon I get a text from an irate parent . They have been sending their two children aged 9 and 11 in early every morning for breakfast, but no one has been paying. Seems as though the school sent out reminder notices last week to get parents to pay, and this guy claims that he shouldn't have to pay because he didn't realize that there was a charge for breakfasts even though I have a signed form from his saying that he read the student handbook which includes the information about lunches being free but breakfast was before school and optional and that there would be a $1 per day charge per student.

"no one reads those things" he said.

"well why would you sing saying you'd read something you had not read?" I thought was a reasonable question.

LULZ The guy just unloaded on my about illegal alien children being treated better than children of US citizens etc etc. I was like "um sir, I don't care where you were born, if you want us to feed your children breakfast it's $1 a day per child"

Then he went off on "of course you stick up for illegals, you married one" LOL My wife was born right here in Arkansas to legal US citizens

Then the guy he'd "see me around town" whatever the hell that means, I suppose it was meant to be a threat LOL

The moral of this story is good God people suck, even when you give them a free lunch, they want a free breakfast too.

In all honesty, I think grammar schools should return to kids bringing their lunch or walking home if someone's home and you got signature. Stop the lunches and breakfasts at home.

Have loaded cards for middle and high school, 'free' qualified have full card. The others load money on their card or bring their food.

Problems are all the feeding.

STTAB
09-30-2019, 01:50 PM
In all honesty, I think grammar schools should return to kids bringing their lunch or walking home if someone's home and you got signature. Stop the lunches and breakfasts at home.

Have loaded cards for middle and high school, 'free' qualified have full card. The others load money on their card or bring their food.

Problems are all the feeding.

The problem though is no matter what you do there are going to be complaints, and anyone who's dealt with parents knows that complaining parents are the loudest parents.

Kathianne
09-30-2019, 01:53 PM
The problem though is no matter what you do there are going to be complaints, and anyone who's dealt with parents knows that complaining parents are the loudest parents.

Take away the choice. 'Poor parents' qualify for SNAP, they can make the kid a sandwich. Push comes to shove, give each teacher a jar of peanut butter and some crackers.

STTAB
09-30-2019, 01:56 PM
Take away the choice. 'Poor parents' qualify for SNAP, they can make the kid a sandwich. Push comes to shove, give each teacher a jar of peanut butter and some crackers.

Man , you haven't been in a classroom in awhile if you think peanut butter is allowed on campus LOL

But yes, at one time I made that argument "why are we giving free meals to families which already qualify for SNAP" but after several years on the school board I came to realize that there are a lot of useless fucking parents out there who will not take the 2 minutes it takes to pack their child a school lunch each morning. They just don't give a flying fuck. Well, unless the school doesn't feed their kids, then all the sudden they care.

Kathianne
09-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Man , you haven't been in a classroom in awhile if you think peanut butter is allowed on campus LOL

But yes, at one time I made that argument "why are we giving free meals to families which already qualify for SNAP" but after several years on the school board I came to realize that there are a lot of useless fucking parents out there who will not take the 2 minutes it takes to pack their child a school lunch each morning. They just don't give a flying fuck. Well, unless the school doesn't feed their kids, then all the sudden they care.

Teaching full time last year, but what the heck. That's what they gave kids who didn't have a lunch. If nut allergy, they are at a separate table and got what they were given. No choice if no lunch or $$.

STTAB
09-30-2019, 02:20 PM
Teaching full time last year, but what the heck. That's what they gave kids who didn't have a lunch. If nut allergy, they are at a separate table and got what they were given. No choice if no lunch or $$.

So your school ostracizes children based on the actions , or inactions,of their parents? Yeah those kids at the "poor table" won't get picked on at all will they?

Kathianne
09-30-2019, 02:21 PM
So your school ostracizes children based on the actions , or inactions,of their parents? Yeah those kids at the "poor table" won't get picked on at all will they?
and you mix up allergies and poor? How's that work?

STTAB
09-30-2019, 02:37 PM
and you mix up allergies and poor? How's that work?

We don't. That's why we decided to just give all kids free lunches. We don't have poor tables, and we don't have peanut butter tables. We just have happy kids eating lunch not worrying about "did my dad pay my lunch bill , or buy beer this week"

And in all honesty, if we can afford to feed prison inmates for free, we can afford to feed school children for free. Ever heard of a prisoner being sent to the poor table with a peanut butter sandwich b/c he owed for lunches? Me neither.

Kathianne
09-30-2019, 02:39 PM
We don't. That's why we decided to just give all kids free lunches. We don't have poor tables, and we don't have peanut butter tables. We just have happy kids eating lunch not worrying about "did my dad pay my lunch bill , or buy beer this week"

And in all honesty, if we can afford to feed prison inmates for free, we can afford to feed school children for free. Ever heard of a prisoner being sent to the poor table with a peanut butter sandwich b/c he owed for lunches? Me neither.

Poor tables? Ok then, done for today.

STTAB
09-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Poor tables? Ok then, done for today.

YOU just said at your school you sit all the kids who didn't have lunch money at their own table and give them peanut butter and crackers. Other kids are without question going to label that table "the poor table" or something worse.

We had similar before we changed our system. For whatever reason we color coded our meal tickets so everyone could see who did and did not pay full price for their lunches. Yes, we had kids being teased for getting "poor people lunches"

I don't like kids being teased or bullied, especially for something that is not even in their control.

Kathianne
09-30-2019, 03:34 PM
YOU just said at your school you sit all the kids who didn't have lunch money at their own table and give them peanut butter and crackers. Other kids are without question going to label that table "the poor table" or something worse.

We had similar before we changed our system. For whatever reason we color coded our meal tickets so everyone could see who did and did not pay full price for their lunches. Yes, we had kids being teased for getting "poor people lunches"

I don't like kids being teased or bullied, especially for something that is not even in their control.
Nothing about separate tables. Shockingly kids from home lunches often had the same. Who'd have thunk it. Schools cannot make all situations equal. Money is better spent trying to lift abilities than righting society's wrongs.

You totally twisted what I wrote to fit your own perspective.

If you continue to do that I'm not going to converse with you. It may happen occasionally, but it seems what you resort to when you don't like that there may be another reasonable answer than your own. Note that: I did not say your perspective was unreasonable.

STTAB
10-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Nothing about separate tables. Shockingly kids from home lunches often had the same. Who'd have thunk it. Schools cannot make all situations equal. Money is better spent trying to lift abilities than righting society's wrongs.

You totally twisted what I wrote to fit your own perspective.

If you continue to do that I'm not going to converse with you. It may happen occasionally, but it seems what you resort to when you don't like that there may be another reasonable answer than your own. Note that: I did not say your perspective was unreasonable.
What are you talking about . YOU said your school gives children who can't afford lunch peanut butter and crackers. When I said "can't do that b/c of allergies" YOU said "they sit at a separate table. If you meant it an another fashion fine, but I didn't put words in your mouth.

Kathianne
10-01-2019, 11:46 AM
What are you talking about . YOU said your school gives children who can't afford lunch peanut butter and crackers. When I said "can't do that b/c of allergies" YOU said "they sit at a separate table. If you meant it an another fashion fine, but I didn't put words in your mouth.

Those with allergies. Geez, either dishonest or twisting.

STTAB
10-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Those with allergies. Geez, either dishonest or twisting.

What, no , what you said was those who didn't have allergies and didn't bring their lunch would get peanut butter and crackers and set separate from the other kids so as not to affect any who might have an allergy. Now, you work with kids Kath, how long before they started calling that the poor table? It wouldn't be long. Kids just love to tease.

In fact , as I said, that's precisely why we just switched to free lunches for every child, children were being made fun of for having the free or reduced price lunch cards.

Kathianne
10-01-2019, 12:31 PM
What, no , what you said was those who didn't have allergies and didn't bring their lunch would get peanut butter and crackers and set separate from the other kids so as not to affect any who might have an allergy. Now, you work with kids Kath, how long before they started calling that the poor table? It wouldn't be long. Kids just love to tease.

In fact , as I said, that's precisely why we just switched to free lunches for every child, children were being made fun of for having the free or reduced price lunch cards.

Not have seen anything like that. The kids with peanut butter were not at any one table, certainly not those designated as 'allergy' tables.

All kids sit by grade, no other assignments.

There would certainly be less 'segregating' by wealth if kids all brought their own lunches. Even without that, any kid without their lunch, either by choice or forgetfulness, would be provided something to eat. Fast and easy.

Anyways I'm done with this conversation.

STTAB
10-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Not have seen anything like that. The kids with peanut butter were not at any one table, certainly not those designated as 'allergy' tables.

All kids sit by grade, no other assignments.

There would certainly be less 'segregating' by wealth if kids all brought their own lunches. Even without that, any kid without their lunch, either by choice or forgetfulness, would be provided something to eat. Fast and easy.

Anyways I'm done with this conversation.

What? Your school just doesn't worry about peanut allergies at all? We don't allow any peanut products in , simple as that.