PDA

View Full Version : School Inserts Birth Control Implant Without Parental Consent

jimnyc
10-02-2019, 11:19 AM
This is another insanity story. And how the hell can this be legal? If I found out that my kid came home from high school one day, and I found out they performed some kind of procedure on him and inserted anything.

---

Teen Experiences Serious Complications after School Inserts Birth Control Implant Without Parental Consent

Recently, a mother of a Digital Harbor High School student in Baltimore, Md., was shocked and dismayed to discover that her daughter was suffering complications from an implanted birth control device that she didn't even know was there. Nicole Lambert's then-sixteen-year-old daughter was complaining of arm pain, so her mother took her to the pediatrician, who discovered that an improperly inserted Nexplanon birth control device was the culprit. It was the school nurse who inserted it.

A mother learned her 16-year-old daughter received a birth control implant at school after the teen started complaining about headaches and a pain in her arm.https://t.co/Qh2K2z4xYA

— WMAR-2 News (@WMAR2News) October 1, 2019

PJ Media reached out to the Lambert's attorney, David Ledyard, for comment. "There's no transparency in the training or certification of the school health centers," he said. "Are they looking at the medical history of the students and doing a full workup before implanting these devices? What is the certification process and training of the nurses?"

Ledyard has been trying to get this information from the school but has been stonewalled for over a month. Lambert has put in a formal request for her daughter's medical file, but the school has yet to turn it over.

"It's important to [the mother] that this is not about birth control. If her daughter had needed it, she would have consented to get it," said Ledyard. Lambert's main issue is with what the school did — implanting Nexplanon is an invasive procedure that should require oversight by a parent. The mother told ABC, "They call me for Tylenol, but they don't call me about birth control." And in this case, it caused a major problem that required surgical removal.

Rest - https://pjmedia.com/trending/baltimore-student-given-birth-control-implant-without-parental-consent-has-complications-school-silent/

STTAB
10-02-2019, 11:28 AM
This nurse should go to jail. At our school , we don't even allow our nurses to hand out so much as an aspirin if there isn't a signed parental consent form. I mean Jesus Christ.

Kathianne
10-02-2019, 11:30 AM
I've never gotten this. Schools cannot give out tylenol, aspirin, even with oral parent permission-must be in writing and under what circumstances it should be administered.

Now, if I had a child that wanted birth control, I'd certainly give them a talk about consequences beyond pregnancy, but would make sure they were covered.

That is MY CHOICE over my child. No one else, including the government via the schools, should be able to usurp my choices.

Noir
10-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Was this something the schoolgirl asked for?

Elessar
10-02-2019, 12:40 PM

Who knows? Schoolgirl's comments are not provided, so I would avoid speculation
unless the the individual's statement is released.

STTAB
10-02-2019, 12:41 PM

nm

Noir
10-02-2019, 12:47 PM

If it’s not known then fair enough.

It doesn't matter, 16 year olds can't consent to medical procedures, well except abortion apparently killing a baby suddenly makes a teenager an adult.

What is the age of consent for medical procedures in the US?
Here a 16 year old can consent to their own treatment.

Elessar
10-02-2019, 12:58 PM
If it’s not known then fair enough.
What is the age of consent for medical procedures in the US?
Here a 16 year old can consent to their own treatment.

Age of consent varies from state to state as I recall.
There we go: https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/age-of-consent-by-state.html

Noir
10-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Age of consent varies from state to state as I recall.
There we go: https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/age-of-consent-by-state.html

This appears to be a list of ages of consent for sex, not medical treatment, or are both considered the same?

Elessar
10-02-2019, 01:23 PM
This appears to be a list of ages of consent for sex, not medical treatment, or are both considered the same?

This is complicated, but pretty much mirrors the other link I presented.
Good luck wading through it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK25556/

Noir
10-02-2019, 01:33 PM
This is complicated, but pretty much mirrors the other link I presented.
Good luck wading through it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK25556/

Maryland Minor Consent Laws

Contraception

A minor (i.e., a person under the age of 18) has the same capacity as an adult to consent to treatment for or advice about contraception other than sterilization [Md. Code Ann., Health-Gen. II § 20-102(c)(1)- (5)]

The health care provider may, but need not, give a parent, guardian, or custodian of the minor or the spouse of the parent information about treatment needed by the minor or provided to the minor, except information about an abortion [Md. Code Ann., Health-Gen. II § 20-102(f)]

Seems pretty clear cut.

Elessar
10-02-2019, 01:41 PM
Seems pretty clear cut.

State of Maryland (MD) is just one in 50. As I said, complicated.

Noir
10-02-2019, 01:44 PM
State of Maryland (MD) is just one in 50. As I said, complicated.

Yes, and it’s in Maryland that this event happened.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-02-2019, 02:25 PM

That would only matter--if-- 16 years old was the legal age of consent in that state.
Otherwise the child falls under the parents wishes regardless of said child wanting birth control.
It is called parental rights, children do not get to override that right....-Tyr

Noir
10-02-2019, 02:32 PM
That would only matter--if-- 16 years old was the legal age of consent in that state.

Which it is.

Abbey Marie
10-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Seems pretty clear cut.

According to that statute, there is no lower limit whatsoever. Therefore, a child of 10 for example, could choose to abort and the parents do not have to be informed. More blue-state insanity.

STTAB
10-02-2019, 03:04 PM
I suppose a school employee could have inserted far worse things into a 16 year old girl.

Noir
10-02-2019, 03:05 PM
According to that statute, there is no lower limit whatsoever. Therefore, a child of 10 for example, could choose to abort and the parents do not have to be informed. More blue-state insanity.

“The health care provider may, but need not, give a parent, guardian, or custodian of the minor or the spouse of the parent information about treatment needed by the minor or provided to the minor, except information about an abortion [Md. Code Ann., Health-Gen. II § 20-102(f)]”

?

Abbey Marie
10-02-2019, 03:06 PM
“The health care provider may, but need not, give a parent, guardian, or custodian of the minor or the spouse of the parent information about treatment needed by the minor or provided to the minor, except information about an abortion [Md. Code Ann., Health-Gen. II § 20-102(f)]”

?

I read that to say the provider cannot give the parent info about an abortion. Do you read it differently?

STTAB
10-02-2019, 03:11 PM
I read that to say the provider cannot give the parent info about an abortion. Do you read it differently?

That is EXACTLY what that law says , in Maryland they don't want doctors telling parents that their black daughter had an abortion, or is thinking about one.

Noir
10-02-2019, 03:11 PM

As the information is being presented negatively (ie what they ‘need not do’) I took the exception to that to be a positive, and so ‘what they need to do’. Though it’s not totally clear.

icansayit
10-02-2019, 05:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7T-TF3P49o