PDA

View Full Version : Last nights debates

09-06-2007, 06:05 AM
What did everyone think?

Ron Paul imploded on stage. Nevertheless his followers spammed the texting poll.

Tancredo was strong on immigration and had some good comments on the global war against Jihad, but even then I dont think he came off articulateing himself well.

I liked Duncan Hunters response to the Senator Craig question and the border fence. Unfortunately he didnt stand out on anything else.

Senator Brownback appealed to the family value side of me. I felt he came off strongly with that. He also articulated his Iraq policy clearly, although I completely disagree with his strategy.

I though Governor Huckabee came across very strongly as well. Especially after his disputes with Paul. If there was a winner last night it was probably him.

I thought Rudy was well articulate. He clearly explained his positions and focused on his record. I was pretty disappointed with some of the people they interviewed afterwards who were complaining about his style. I mean yeah he didnt have tons of it. but like the man or not, he does have alot of substance and a record to show it. Of all the things to not like him over, style seemed pretty shallow.

Mitt Romney came off well. Not his best preformance, but he didnt blow it either. He did nail McCain on the amnesty issue. But considering he was the candidate being attacked the most that night I thought he came off pretty well.

McCain obviously did a better job tonight than other debates. They were declaring him the winner. Personally i didnt see how he won. He was nailed when he was trying to pass his position off as not amnesty. And he pretty much had a Temper Tantrum when Mitt was saying what he would do if General Petraeus reports that the Surge is working as expected spending about half a minute or so saying that Mitt should say the Surge is working. Seemed a bit silly to me when both men clearly thought the surge is working and Mitt simply wants to see what the Petraeus report says before supporting any specific position. Seemed silly to waste time arguing that. It made Mccain come off as petty to me. But then McCain was going on about saying the surge was his idea... so thats probably why he was arguing for it so long despite everyone agreeing. He just wanted to be out there saying it was working.

All and all I thought it was a strong preformance from most of the Republicans. This is exactly why I think we are going to win 08. Because I see most of the Republicans as strong candidates. I have yet to see a Democrat I could honestly vote for.

theHawk
09-06-2007, 08:21 AM
I agree most of the Republicans came off as strong, they all answered really tough questions, some of which were personal to specific candidates. They showed they weren't afraid to answer those tough questions, a clear night and day difference from the Democrats who skirt around each issue.

I haven't been a Rudy fan but I have to admit he did hold is own ground very well. Especially when asked about his famliy problems and how they might reflect how he would perform in office. He did make a good case that whatever problems he may of had didn't stop him from turning New York from liberalized crime ridden cesspool to one of the safest cities in America. But of course Rudy can't get away from being seen as a pro-choice candidate.

I never really heard Ron Paul before but I have to admit I found myself agreeing with ALOT of what he was saying. He is a true Constitutional conservative and I admire that. I think he may be a little niave about the War against Islam though.

Which brings me to Mitt and Trancredo. They both hit the nail on the head in pointing out this isn't a war with Iraqis, its a war against Islamic Jihad and Iraq is just the current battleground. But Mitt puzzles me because he seemed just a little weak on sticking to winning in Iraq. And Trancredo really stammered on some of his questions to the point it seemed like he had a hard time articulating what he was trying to say. Not the best public speaker :(

As for McCain....do we even need to discuss this? He is flat out pro-amnesty. 'Nuff said.

Brownback seemed like a nice guy with his family values stances, but he came off as too nice.

I liked Hunter's answers especially about letting the Marines and ground troops do their job. He is a vet as was his dad and his son is in Iraq I believe too. Although he didn't stand out as a clear winner he certainly didn't take any hits or make himself look bad in any area like most of the other candidates. Same thing could be said about Huckabee as well.

Personally I hope to see a Hunter/Huckabee ticket!!!

BTW, props to Fox News for putting on a really good debate where they did not once ever interrupt the candidates answers. It was SO refreshing to hear them be allowed to finish their answers unlike the other networks that cut them off.

REDWHITEBLUE2
09-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Ron Paul should switch to the democrat side his answers were all typical liberal b.s plus the donkey fits him perfect since every time he opens his mouth he makes an ass of himself

-Cp
09-07-2007, 05:29 PM
I can't help but think Fox favors the "big 3" - McCain, Rudolph and Romney... as candidates like Trancredo didn't get near as much airtime as those three..

Personally, I think Fred Thompson is still the best guy going...

-Cp
09-07-2007, 05:33 PM
What did everyone think?

Ron Paul imploded on stage. Nevertheless his followers spammed the texting poll.

Hmmm...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUxQadgSkoA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUxQadgSkoA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Granted - that video was made by a Ron Paul fan.. still interesting nonetheless..

09-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I can't help but think Fox favors the "big 3" - McCain, Rudolph and Romney... as candidates like Trancredo didn't get near as much airtime as those three..

Personally, I think Fred Thompson is still the best guy going...

I like Tancredo but he just didnt do much in the debate at all. I mean he nailed immigration. but he just struggled to articulate his position on anything else.

Abbey Marie
09-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I still like Hunter, but will wait to see what Thompson says in the next debate.