PDA

View Full Version : NOW there will be sanctions

jimnyc
10-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Sorry for not backtracking and fixing the all caps.

But this cannot go ignored.

They should be on the phone right now finding out what the F went wrong and how.

---

TURKEY BOMBS US SPECIAL FORCES IN SYRIA ATTACK, APPARENTLY BY MISTAKE

A contingent of U.S. Special Forces has been caught up in Turkish shelling against U.S.-backed Kurdish positions in northern Syria, days after President Donald Trump told his Turkish counterpart he would withdraw U.S. troops from certain positions in the area.

Newsweek has learned through both an Iraqi Kurdish intelligence official and senior Pentagon official that Special Forces operating on Mashtenour hill in the majority-Kurdish city of Kobani fell under artillery fire from Turkish forces conducting their so-called "Operation Peace Spring" against Kurdish fighters backed by the U.S. but considered terrorist organizations by Turkey.

The senior Pentagon official said that Turkish forces should be aware of U.S. positions "down to the grid." The official could not specify the exact number of personnel present, but indicated they were "small numbers below company level," so somewhere between 15 and 100 troops.

The incident came as Defense Secretary Mark Esper assured reporters that up to 50 Special Force Operators had been repositioned from "two small outposts" near the Syrian border as Turkey commenced a unilateral operation opposed by the Pentagon. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had long warned he would storm the border to establish a so-called "safe zone" and, after the White House announced Sunday that U.S. troops would stand aside, he launched the operation earlier this week.

Rest - https://www.newsweek.com/us-troops-syria-turkey-1464727

Kathianne
10-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Sorry for not backtracking and fixing the all caps.

But this cannot go ignored.

They should be on the phone right now finding out what the F went wrong and how.

---

TURKEY BOMBS US SPECIAL FORCES IN SYRIA ATTACK, APPARENTLY BY MISTAKE

A contingent of U.S. Special Forces has been caught up in Turkish shelling against U.S.-backed Kurdish positions in northern Syria, days after President Donald Trump told his Turkish counterpart he would withdraw U.S. troops from certain positions in the area.

Newsweek has learned through both an Iraqi Kurdish intelligence official and senior Pentagon official that Special Forces operating on Mashtenour hill in the majority-Kurdish city of Kobani fell under artillery fire from Turkish forces conducting their so-called "Operation Peace Spring" against Kurdish fighters backed by the U.S. but considered terrorist organizations by Turkey.

The senior Pentagon official said that Turkish forces should be aware of U.S. positions "down to the grid." The official could not specify the exact number of personnel present, but indicated they were "small numbers below company level," so somewhere between 15 and 100 troops.

The incident came as Defense Secretary Mark Esper assured reporters that up to 50 Special Force Operators had been repositioned from "two small outposts" near the Syrian border as Turkey commenced a unilateral operation opposed by the Pentagon. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had long warned he would storm the border to establish a so-called "safe zone" and, after the White House announced Sunday that U.S. troops would stand aside, he launched the operation earlier this week.

Rest - https://www.newsweek.com/us-troops-syria-turkey-1464727

Pretty difficult to pass this off as a mistake, as of Monday they had all intel for that area, my understanding was that we cut their access on Wednesday.

No mistake, so let's see how fast Turkey is 'brought to their knees.'

jimnyc
10-11-2019, 02:50 PM
I'm having trouble thus far finding much information about this. I know it's quite early to speculate. But hell, an accident? They better look at this very thoroughly - and quickly.

jimnyc
10-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Pretty difficult to pass this off as a mistake, as of Monday they had all intel for that area, my understanding was that we cut their access on Wednesday.

No mistake, so let's see how fast Turkey is 'brought to their knees.'

I want to find out all the facts first. Other than a headline and some tidbits, I really don't know much more. I not only want to learn more initially, also what Turkey further has to say, and then of course what our military finds out.

jimnyc
10-11-2019, 02:56 PM
CNN reporting slightly differently.... Hitting the special forces by mistake - and hitting near them is 2 different things.

Turkish artillery fire comes close to US forces in Syria

(CNN)Turkish artillery hit close to a US special operations unit near the Syrian city of Kobani on Friday, according to a US official familiar with the initial assessment.

The artillery shells hit several hundred meters from where the US forces were located. There are no American injuries in the early reports and at this time no indication this was deliberate, the official said. Newsweek was first to report on the incident.

Earlier on Friday, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper stressed that the US will remain focused on the safety of its men and women in uniform and "as such we are re-positioning additional forces in the region to assist with force protection as necessary."

A US defense official also told CNN earlier Friday that the US has shared a list of "no-strike" locations with the government of Turkey, which goes beyond just where US troops are located and includes Kurdish areas, including Syrian Democratic Forces-controlled prisons holding ISIS prisoners that the US sees as necessary to the fight against the terrorist group.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/politics/turkey-artillery-fire-us-syria/index.html

STTAB
10-11-2019, 02:56 PM
we should "accidentally" destroy Turkey's Air Force

Fucking scumbag Turks.

jimnyc
10-11-2019, 02:58 PM
we should "accidentally" destroy Turkey's Air Force

Fucking scumbag Turks.

If they do in fact bomb our troops - then yep, I say nail the fuckers.

Kathianne
10-11-2019, 02:58 PM
I want to find out all the facts first. Other than a headline and some tidbits, I really don't know much more. I not only want to learn more initially, also what Turkey further has to say, and then of course what our military finds out.

Seems it's a good thing those troops were pulled out of the area. Turkey is an important ally, they've done everything for US. We've never had issues with using their airport. (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/mar/20/iraq.helenasmith)

I'm all for getting the facts, same as we've done with other attacks. Turkey has made it clear since Erdogan took office-permanently. They are getting rid of democracy, Russia and Iran are their allies. Israel is the enemy.

Kathianne
10-11-2019, 03:03 PM
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/turkey-mistakenly-bombs-us-special-forces-in-syria-attack-report

The Turkish military shelled U.S. Special Forces during an operation that was an apparent mistake.

A senior Pentagon official and an Iraqi Kurdish intelligence official said Friday that U.S. Special Forces came under shelling from the Turkish government during their "Operation Peace Spring," according (https://www.newsweek.com/us-troops-syria-turkey-1464727) to Newsweek.
The bombing of U.S. forces, which occurred in Kurdish-controlled territory in the northern Syrian city of Kobani, was described as a mistake. No fatalities have been reported.
The Pentagon official said that Turkey should have known U.S. forces were "down to the grid." An estimated 15 to 100 troops were in the area where the bombings occurred.
The incident comes as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan fulfills his promise to invade northern Syria (https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/turkish-president-announces-military-offensive-in-northeastern-syria) and establish a "safe zone." President Trump announced that U.S. forces would be withdrawing from the region (https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/stain-on-americas-honor-trump-gives-turkey-green-light-to-attack-us-kurdish-allies-in-northern-syria)earlier this week, allowing Turkey to invade.

jimnyc
10-11-2019, 03:12 PM
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/turkey-mistakenly-bombs-us-special-forces-in-syria-attack-report

That's what I read too, all stemming from Newsweek. But like I said, CNN claims it was just near them. It still matters, and needs to find out WHY the F this happened. Hitting them is one response, near them another. Either way, I need to learn more on this. If me, even if nearby, I would still instill fear in them at the max, and prepare for sanctions for any further issues. But if they hit them, then we have an issue. At minimum they would need massive sanctions IMO, and honestly, if me, I would prepare something of the retaliatory dept if it happens again. This could go a lot of different ways. But finding out specifics is a must here.

jimnyc
10-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Also a 2:00 video at CNN and they make it clear of the "near" part, but I don't trust them much as a final source of any kind.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/politics/turkey-artillery-fire-us-syria/index.html

pete311
10-11-2019, 03:26 PM
All we had to do was keep the troops with the Kurds.

pete311
10-11-2019, 03:28 PM
Politico - "A senior Pentagon official said shelling was so heavy that the U.S. personnel considered firing back in self-defense.”

STTAB
10-11-2019, 03:29 PM
All we had to do was keep the troops with the Kurds.
All you have to do is drink a bottle of bleach.

pete311
10-11-2019, 03:30 PM

:salute:

Noir
10-11-2019, 04:25 PM

As far as gross unnecessary comments go, this is extremely gross and unnecessary. I hope that someone whose opinion you respect calls you up on this.

For the story - Thankful that there were no fatalities, if this was a mistake I would expect at the very least for their to be some public dismals of the Turk personal who planned this attack given the intel they apparently had available to them.
Mistake or not though I think Trump will be forced to react.

hjmick
10-11-2019, 04:44 PM
I doubt anything will come of this... Erdoğan will say, "Oh, we're sorry" and Trump will say, "Oh, that's okay, no-one was hurt" and that will be that.

It will be a pleasant surprise if there are any consequences...

Kathianne
10-13-2019, 08:31 AM
Pentagon getting info out:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/10/12/us-forces-say-turkey-was-deliberately-bracketing-american-forces-with-artillery-fire-syria/
Not an accident

pete311
10-13-2019, 11:54 AM
1000 ISIS prisoners now free and some 35 year old right activist women was stoned to death by Turks. Winning.

pete311
10-13-2019, 11:58 AM
Winning

Esper: Turkey 'appears to be' committing war crimes in northern Syria
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/465564-esper-turkey-appears-to-be-committing-war-crimes-in-northern-syria?__twitter_impression=true

pete311
10-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Rumors are that Kurds will issue full scale surrender to Assad for protection against Turks. Russia also involved. Absolutely massive win for Assad, Turkey and Russia. The Kurd semi-autonomy is over. Freedom lost.

CSM
10-13-2019, 02:16 PM
Rumors are that Kurds will issue full scale surrender to Assad for protection against Turks. Russia also involved. Absolutely massive win for Assad, Turkey and Russia. The Kurd semi-autonomy is over. Freedom lost.

Like you really gave a flying crap about the Kurds until they became liberal talking point.

pete311
10-13-2019, 02:32 PM
Like you really gave a flying crap about the Kurds until they became liberal talking point.

I spent a month in and around Erbil, so yeah, I care about the Kurds. I also spent time in Damascus, Homs and Aleppo, so I care about freedom loving Syrians.

Elessar
10-13-2019, 03:57 PM
I spent a month in and around Erbil, so yeah, I care about the Kurds. I also spent time in Damascus, Homs and Aleppo, so I care about freedom loving Syrians.

Then why are you not over there negotiating ceasefire and peace?
Protecting your 'investments'?

Sometimes I sense you are full of donkey crap.

pete311
10-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Then why are you not over there negotiating ceasefire and peace?
Protecting your 'investments'?

Sometimes I sense you are full of donkey crap.
You’re an idiot

Elessar
10-13-2019, 06:31 PM
You’re an idiot

That is a reach.

I have far more knowledge in many areas than You, basement dweller.