PDA

View Full Version : MAC - the computer which once was........

-Cp
09-06-2007, 01:52 PM
The primary choice in Graphic Design:

http://www.designtalkboard.com/tools/macpc.php

:)

Hagbard Celine
09-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm about to buy a Macbook to replace my Sony Vaio that was stolen. Everyone I know who has made the switch from PC to Mac says they love it and haven't looked back. Any opinions?

-Cp
09-06-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm about to buy a Macbook to replace my Sony Vaio that was stolen. Everyone I know who has made the switch from PC to Mac says they love it and haven't looked back. Any opinions?

Here's a video which may help your decision:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cxHwu5aD41k"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cxHwu5aD41k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Guernicaa
09-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Duh CP your a fucking moron and so were the makers of that video.

It did no comparison what so ever on the actual format of computing. The computer is cheaper. Not the format of computing.

That is the most important area of comparisons that that shitty little video failed to make.

The Mac computing format out does Windows by far. It's set up much better, easier to use, and is hands down the best for making videos and multi-media projects.

Also, who gives a shit about fucking CNET free downloads? I don't ever use that bull shit and I have Windows. Just a bunch of shitty games..Wooaahh!!

The things that really matter, like Microsoft office, internet browsers, and media platforms are all the best on Macs.

jimnyc
09-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Duh CP your a fucking moron

Was that really necessary? Do I need to link you to dmp's last announcement about personal attacks? And in the computer section no less?

You can do better than that.

-Cp
09-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Was that really necessary? Do I need to link you to dmp's last announcement about personal attacks? And in the computer section no less?

You can do better than that.

Yeah.. he also neg reps me for that? Jeez....

jimnyc
09-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah.. he also neg reps me for that? Jeez....

I wouldn't worry about neg rep from someone who has a rep power of ZERO. :)

-Cp
09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Duh CP your a fucking moron and so were the makers of that video.

What's your problem?

It did no comparison what so ever on the actual format of computing. The computer is cheaper. Not the format of computing.

"The format of computing" - that statement makes no sense.

The Mac computing format out does Windows by far. It's set up much better, easier to use, and is hands down the best for making videos and multi-media projects.

I guess that's why Apple has less than 10-percent of the market eh?

Also, who gives a shit about fucking CNET free downloads? I don't ever use that bull shit and I have Windows. Just a bunch of shitty games..Wooaahh!!

The video was just pointing out the amount of software for the PC vs. Mac.

The things that really matter, like Microsoft office, internet browsers, and media platforms are all the best on Macs.

Again, that's why 99% of the business world uses those apps on the PC I guess eh? I'm sure you know more than they do...

-Cp
09-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't worry about neg rep from someone who has a rep power of ZERO. :)

Oh I don't at all - in fact, I honestly don't know what good the rep system does in the first place... lol

Just shows his overall immaturity to talk about an issue like this..

jimnyc
09-06-2007, 05:59 PM
As someone who has been extensively involved in the IT field for the past 17 years, I would offer my opinion on this matter from first hand experience, but I don't want my "rep" to be lowered to what it already is. :)

Sitarro
09-06-2007, 08:06 PM

Wow, an article that says nothing..... How's that Vista working out for you?

darin
09-06-2007, 08:08 PM
dude - read the article - what you mean it says 'nothing'? Do you not agree with it? What don't you agree with? Your immediate dismissal of the artical makes ppl think you're not open-minded enough to read something you don't agree with.

Sitarro
09-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Here's a video which may help your decision:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cxHwu5aD41k"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cxHwu5aD41k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Great video:laugh2::laugh2:, obviously not done on a MAC using Final Cut Pro. How typically amateurish and child like, bet you didn't even notice how extraordinarily weak it was..... I don't expect excellence or the appreciation of it from pc users, they have always been the type that say...."that's good enough". And how about the dork narrator, he has to be a pc clown. But good try, it makes my case.

-Cp
09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow, an article that says nothing..... How's that Vista working out for you?

You didn't even read the article....

Vista's working out fine.... thank you....

How's the largely unsupported OSX working out for you?

Kathianne
09-06-2007, 10:23 PM

I'm neither a graphics artist or a tech guru. I am an owner of 5+ pcs since 1985. Dells, HP's, Compaqs. Two years ago, my latest Dell died, due to virus attack. If I was a guru, odds are I could have saved it. But I'm not, nor desire to be. So, I went shopping, madder than hell.

Bought a G5, haven't had an issue with it since. No spyware, no other ware. I sign in, and some sites off. That is my 'watch.'

-Cp
09-06-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm neither a graphics artist or a tech guru. I am an owner of 5+ pcs since 1985. Dells, HP's, Compaqs. Two years ago, my latest Dell died, due to virus attack. If I was a guru, odds are I could have saved it. But I'm not, nor desire to be. So, I went shopping, madder than hell.

Bought a G5, haven't had an issue with it since. No spyware, no other ware. I sign in, and some sites off. That is my 'watch.'

Right... cause PC's are the most used computing platform they are the biggest target for spammers and virus makers.... none of them care about the MAC as going after such a puny amount of users wouldn't make any headlines....

Kathianne
09-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Right... cause PC's are the most used computing platform they are the biggest target for spammers and virus makers.... none of them care about the MAC as going after such a puny amount of users wouldn't make any headlines....

I'm sure you're right. My post should have read '95, not '85. Most people are not tech heads, most don't want viruses. Thus they should look at how to avoid.

On the other hand, those like Cp, well they need and know the risk of day to day pc usage. Not a problem for them.

-Cp
09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm sure you're right. My post should have read '95, not '85. Most people are not tech heads, most don't want viruses. Thus they should look at how to avoid.

On the other hand, those like Cp, well they need and know the risk of day to day pc usage. Not a problem for them.

Actually - I have no risk.... :)

But thanks for the concern....

Kathianne
09-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Actually - I have no risk.... :)

But thanks for the concern....

That WAS my point, you know what to install to prevent $3-7k to becoming junk, many don't.

-Cp
09-06-2007, 11:29 PM
That WAS my point, you know what to install to prevent $3-7k to becoming junk, many don't.

Actually, I don't have to install anything....

Sitarro
09-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Standard cliche answer from a Bill Gates fan........ What a load. Why wouldn't an asshole pc hack come up with a virus for MACs just to shut up all of the jerks like me? You are more pathetic than I thought and sure, VISTA IS JUST FINE:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:. Just like everything else Microsoft....not a shred of creativity or originality...... what next, gonna bring back gray box enclosures?

-Cp
09-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Standard cliche answer from a Bill Gates fan twat........ What a load. Why wouldn't an asshole pc hack come up with a virus for MACs just to shut up all of the jerks like me? You are more pathetic than I thought and sure, VISTA IS JUST FINE:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:. Just like everything else Microsoft....not a shred of creativity or originality...... what next, gonna bring back gray box enclosures?

What's your problem man? Do you purposely try and incite flames?

Have you ever ran Vista? You have no idea who you're talking to - you know nothing about me, my background with computers or anything yet you revert to name-calling, second-guessing someone who's actually RAN Vista since beta and basically being a total jerk to me - completely unwarranted...

That's pretty pathetic Sitarro...

Why wouldn't an asshole pc hack come up with a virus for MACs just to shut up all of the jerks like me?

Microsoft has the business world locked into their products. Many viruses are made to target businesses, so that’s the software you want to exploit. Microsoft Windows is less secure out of the box than the Apple OS, it can be secured very well, but most people don’t know how to do it, and because of that, they are more vulnerable. So yes, there are more viruses.

Here's some good reading for you sitarro:
Vista more secure than Mac OS X 10.4
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/visualbasic/dotnet/archives/vista-more-secure-than-mac-os-x-104-16030

Sitarro
09-07-2007, 02:11 AM
What's your problem man? Do you purposely try and incite flames?

Yea, I live for it. I have noticed with both of you that you feel it is just fine to insult or what you might call "flame" me..... how silly for you to accuse me of what you do.

Have you ever ran Vista? You have no idea who you're talking to - you know nothing about me, my background with computers or anything yet you revert to name-calling, second-guessing someone who's actually RAN Vista since beta and basically being a total jerk to me - completely unwarranted...

That's pretty pathetic Sitarro...

It is difficult to actually find someone that is using it, kind of like looking for someone using a Zune(another pathetic and blatant copy of an Apple product by Microsoft).
I've watched it in what I guess you would call action while the friend that was trying to use it yelled explitives at his poor HP laptop, how funny that the HP gets the blame when it's the lack of a decent operating system. It is a joke that took the dimwits at Microsoft 5 years and numerous names to create. It is full of blatant ripoffs from OS10 and now your fanboy wants to compare it tp 10.4. it was just released, I would hope it out performs a revision that is over two years old. Will the twerp in the article do a more fair comparison with Leopard? I have a problem with an adult that uses a childish term such as PWND, he lost my interest in his bullshit early.

Microsoft has the business world locked into their products. Many viruses are made to target businesses, so that’s the software you want to exploit. Microsoft Windows is less secure out of the box than the Apple OS, it can be secured very well, but most people don’t know how to do it, and because of that, they are more vulnerable. So yes, there are more viruses.

Gee that was tuff, offer cheap products and the zeroes of the business world come running. I wonder just how many PCs are never turned on. This is like arguing with someone about the Bible, you have all of the supplied, rehearsed answers that I have heard plenty of times before. The fact remains, as many assholes out there that hate Apple and none of them want to shut up Steve Jobs and all of the MAC users that go day after day with no worries about bullshit viruses. I have no virus protection and download and open everything. not a hiccup and yet your brother in law's great bunch of graphic artists can't keep their MACs running properly. I'm guessing that lame ass video you posted was some of their work. Before you give me shit about flaming an inept graphics company, reread the insult you provided for my friend who can no doubt out illustrate your brother in law in his sleep after drinking a bottle of Patron.

Here's some good reading for you sitarro:
Vista more secure than Mac OS X 10.4
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/visualbasic/dotnet/archives/vista-more-secure-than-mac-os-x-104-16030

Cute fan site....... I bet Gates gave this clown a big lollipop for that poorly written advertisement. Now run over and critique my Twin Tower photos, I value your opinion so much.

darin
09-07-2007, 09:18 AM
-Cp is showing facts - Sitarro is doing nothing but repeatedly proclaiming his hatred of Microsoft

-Cp
09-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Cute fan site....... I bet Gates gave this clown a big lollipop for that poorly written advertisement. Now run over and critique my Twin Tower photos, I value your opinion so much.

Okay.. how about the SAME STORY on MACWORLD's website?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/30/daizovi/index.php

You would've seen that "lollipop fan"'s link to the Macworld article had you actually taken the time to READ it....

Sitarro
09-09-2007, 10:10 PM

I guess I better write back to this company and let them know that the MAC isn't the primary choice of "graphic designers''. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Sitarro
09-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Ya know, I was rereading that cute little article that was supplied at the beginning of the thread........

"Despite this, it is important to acknowledge that most print-based graphic designers still use Apple Macs and many graphic artists and pre-press bureaus still prefer dealing with documents created on the Macintosh platform. It is also generally accepted that color calibration is more reliable on the Macintosh platform.

How could this be true? Cp's Brother-in-Law can't figure out how to keep a MAC running, how can [U]most[/U ]print based graphic designers use them?

I'm perplexed? I wonder why all of the printing companoes I have dealt with, including the one I worked for years ago, just don't get it...... all are using MACs for their pre-press work. The secrestaries do use their PCs for writing letters and answering e-mails(bitching constantly about needing an IT guy to fix their shitty computer) but where the actual work gets done, all MACs. They are all so behind the times!

Windows Vista :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Kathianne
09-19-2007, 10:28 PM
-Cp is showing facts - Sitarro is doing nothing but repeatedly proclaiming his hatred of Microsoft

I'm not sticking up for Sitarro or Jobs or against or for Gates. I stated what happened to me. Cp flamed me, though I didn't respond. Didn't see anyone chiming in to call him on that. Which is all fine and good. I was only trying to put forward my experience, including limitations of my own capabilities. Many others have the same. Like Cp said, he needs no extras on PC to prevent 'attacks', many do. As he said, the 'attackers' go after PC's, not so much apples.

-Cp
09-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Cp flamed me,
???????????????????????

Got a link? Or am I just old, forgetful and blind?

Kathianne
09-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Sure, started at 16 and continued. I'm not saying you were way out of line, just had your pov and went out of bounds in slamming my abilities vs yours. IMO, that is a no contest. I'm a turn the key and go kind of user, you are more a mechanic, maybe not your job, but you at least know how to change the oil.

Sitarro
09-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Sure, started at 16 and continued. I'm not saying you were way out of line, just had your pov and went out of bounds in slamming my abilities vs yours. IMO, that is a no contest. I'm a turn the key and go kind of user, you are more a mechanic, maybe not your job, but you at least know how to change the oil.

Most people are like that, they couldn't give a shit how it works just get it running again so I can use it to produce something. Basically the same as race car drivers, pilots, etc. I just want an Operating System that works for me and isn't a pain in the ass, that is why I use an Apple computer, it always works and doesn't make me jump through hoops to do it. The idea of being forced to use a lesser operating system makes me think I would rather quit, it's that simple.

-Cp
09-20-2007, 01:43 AM

Are you taking meds Kathi? Not being funny - cause I have no clue what you're talking about .. I "slamed" you? Really??

darin
09-20-2007, 08:45 AM

There's NO flame or slam against you in this thread, Kath.

Yurt
09-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Great video:laugh2::laugh2:, obviously not done on a MAC using Final Cut Pro. How typically amateurish and child like, bet you didn't even notice how extraordinarily weak it was..... I don't expect excellence or the appreciation of it from pc users, they have always been the type that say...."that's good enough". And how about the dork narrator, he has to be a pc clown. But good try, it makes my case.

YOU, are a PC user:

Personal Computer

:poke:

Said1
09-22-2007, 10:37 PM
I have an upgraded Ibook and a PC. I like the PC, but to be honest, the laptop is probably one of the best things I own. I wasn't impressed with the IPOD peice of crap, but I love the Ibook.

It has nothing to do with who makes it or whatever, it's the convenience of having a laptop. I could care less if it was made by Sony or Mac, I love that damn thing. :laugh2:

Sitarro
09-22-2007, 11:42 PM
I have an upgraded Ibook and a PC. I like the PC, but to be honest, the laptop is probably one of the best things I own. I wasn't impressed with the IPOD peice of crap, but I love the Ibook.

It has nothing to do with who makes it or whatever, it's the convenience of having a laptop. I could care less if it was made by Sony or Mac, I love that damn thing. :laugh2:

It has very little to do wth the manufacturer for me, it has everything to do with the Operating System. Sony makes a fine machine, unfortunately, it runs Windows for it's Operating System. Yes, I know, Linux is an option but really, what's the point? I love the quality, design, innovation, functionality and beauty of the MAC line, why bother going with anything else?

I am amazed with your statement about the iPod, piece of crap????? What did you do to it?, it certainly wasn't a piece of crap when you got it. Microsoft did their best to try to copy it like they always do with everything that Apple puts out, the Zune is a financial disaster....... total lack of an original thought and a poor attempt to clone the iPod, it is the punch line for any joke about personal music players. What is a better music system than iTunes and iPod? Why?

I've gone through 3 iPods, I broke every one of them. Anything with a hard drive that gets dropped while the hard drive is running will probably stop working, it has nothing to do with the iPod. That is why I have the third one and it has run flwlessly for the last year. I have 5000 songs on it that are easily accessible with the system that runs it. You are the first that I have heard refer to their iPod in such a way. Oh and Apple replaced all of those iPods for me even though I broke them, I spent 49 dollars for a no questios asked policy.....well worth it. I will be buying a new Nano this week for use while I work.....2,000 songs will be plenty.

Said1
09-26-2007, 07:49 PM
It has very little to do wth the manufacturer for me, it has everything to do with the Operating System. Sony makes a fine machine, unfortunately, it runs Windows for it's Operating System. Yes, I know, Linux is an option but really, what's the point? I love the quality, design, innovation, functionality and beauty of the MAC line, why bother going with anything else?

I am amazed with your statement about the iPod, piece of crap????? What did you do to it?, it certainly wasn't a piece of crap when you got it. Microsoft did their best to try to copy it like they always do with everything that Apple puts out, the Zune is a financial disaster....... total lack of an original thought and a poor attempt to clone the iPod, it is the punch line for any joke about personal music players. What is a better music system than iTunes and iPod? Why?

I've gone through 3 iPods, I broke every one of them. Anything with a hard drive that gets dropped while the hard drive is running will probably stop working, it has nothing to do with the iPod. That is why I have the third one and it has run flwlessly for the last year. I have 5000 songs on it that are easily accessible with the system that runs it. You are the first that I have heard refer to their iPod in such a way. Oh and Apple replaced all of those iPods for me even though I broke them, I spent 49 dollars for a no questios asked policy.....well worth it. I will be buying a new Nano this week for use while I work.....2,000 songs will be plenty.

I don't really do anything sophisticated with either computer, so it's all good to me. I don't like that Apple isn't compatible with Sony Sonic Stage, but that's a minor detail.

As for the IPOD, we had this discussion. The battery life span and sound quality were what I didn't like. I prefer my Sony. I had a mini-diskman for about 4 yrs - still works (during that time, I was given an IPOD from my mother). I gave the diskman to my daughter after I bought a smaller 2gb MP3/fm player for a little less than the diskman - $89.00 (on sale of course). The diskman takes batteries (yeah, yeah the combined cost of batters vs replacing the IPOD battery) the MP3 player is re-chargable (not sure how - hope it lasts longer than the IPOD - 1yr and change). For me it's more about sound quality. I prefer Sony for that reason alone.

To each their own though. Enjoy your Nano. My sister has one of those ultra IPODS that plays videos. Their MAC junkies too. I almost bought the little tiny IPOD, but went with Sony in the end. I will say Sonic Stage does SUCK. But the gadget itself is excellent, IMHO.

Pepper
12-04-2007, 03:25 AM
Hey all, new member, first reply...

As a non bias observer I think Cp is the jerk for putting that stupid video to anoy all the mac users. The video was BS.

Sitarro
12-04-2007, 03:51 AM
Hey all new member first reply...

As a non bias observer I think Cp is the jerk for putting that stupid video to anoy all the mac users. The video was BS.

To be fair, I am sure I deserve at least 50 percent blame for the way this thread progressed(digressed?).I was in a particularly disagreeable mood for a few days there.:cool:

Pepper
12-04-2007, 04:01 AM
No problem Sitarro. Hey, cool name.

nevadamedic
12-04-2007, 04:29 AM
What's your problem?

"The format of computing" - that statement makes no sense.

I guess that's why Apple has less than 10-percent of the market eh?

The video was just pointing out the amount of software for the PC vs. Mac.

Again, that's why 99% of the business world uses those apps on the PC I guess eh? I'm sure you know more than they do...

I am no fan of Apple at all but Apple was a big company until Bill Gates screwed them over and stole their windows design. I have heard that Apple makes a superior unit when it comes to Graphic Design applications and video making but I have never compaired them so I don't know for sure.

Pepper
12-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Porche has i'm sure less than 10% market share and GMC has probably greater than 30% but i'll take any Porche 911 over a Chevy Cavalier any day.
Want another example Walmart... Anything i've ever bought there was either shit out or is broken. I don't buy anything I can't shit from there anymore. There will always be people who invent things not for people but for themselves. Then there will be people who will copy a cheap version and sell to the masses. People who don't have anything don't understand what good is...I buy a good car because I can afford to, it drives really well and I don't spend a whole lot of my time bringing it in to get it fixed. Someone who has no money buys the Cavalier because that is his only choice. He will pay though, missed work days, etc. Chevy every 4.5 years or a Volvo every 13, comes out to same amount of money. Buy a Windows machine, oh then I have to go back to store everyday to buy components i didn't get in the first place vs a Mac for a $100 dollars more that has everything I need, works flawlessly and i'm not spending any money on virus crap that people like Cp create so they can come fix your computer for you. My answer is simple. I have used both platforms and prefer Mac for my personal choice(its the Porche) Sometimes I have to use a PC(cavalier its red though) for work, yes i said PC, windows machines have been refered to as PC since IBM came out with the PC computer 24 years ago(thats for younger gen that does not understand).

Pepper
12-04-2007, 05:05 PM

A few years ago I bought a digital camera. After taking some pictures I hooked it up to the MAC with the USB Cord. A few seconds later there were the pictures in a folder on the desktop. A program had opened up and said hey what would you like to do down load these photos and I clicked yes. I tried the same thing with my Compaq laptop and nothing. I then found the disk that came with the camera and install the windows drivers to make usb work with camera. After 24 hours of screwing around with PC I never could get it to recognize camera.:lame2: End of story. To answer your question if you have no reason to own a windows computer than don't. The MACs are great for every day use such as email, internet browsing, graphics,sound pictures and video. If your company uses Office products(word, excel powerpoint) then buy office for the mac and you can look at that stuff. With the new intel chip macs you could even boot up with a regular copy of windows with boot camp or parallells. I have this to view CBT programs from work but its rare and can't wait to get back to mac side. Unless you are a die hard windows person, there is becoming less and less reason to own a dell,hp these are dying breads. Apple stock is up over 500% in the last three years as people are coming to the reality that I don't want to be an IT guy to use my computer. I just want it to work...Yeh there is still those Father and sons that use to work on cars on saturday till the car companies started putting plastic covers over the engines to keep them out. Where did they go? To fry's, comp usa, lets buy a box and build a pc computer son and play games. After a week on the internet and it crashes from a virus, halaloua son we get rebuild the computer this week end.

Hagbard Celine
12-04-2007, 05:24 PM
A few years ago I bought a digital camera. After taking some pictures I hooked it up to the MAC with the USB Cord. A few seconds later there were the pictures in a folder on the desktop. A program had opened up and said hey what would you like to do down load these photos and I clicked yes. I tried the same thing with my Compaq laptop and nothing. I then found the disk that came with the camera and install the windows drivers to make usb work with camera. After 24 hours of screwing around with PC I never could get it to recognize camera.:lame2: End of story. To answer your question if you have no reason to own a windows computer than don't. The MACs are great for every day use such as email, internet browsing, graphics,sound pictures and video. If your company uses Office products(word, excel powerpoint) then buy office for the mac and you can look at that stuff. With the new intel chip macs you could even boot up with a regular copy of windows with boot camp or parallells. I have this to view CBT programs from work but its rare and can't wait to get back to mac side. Unless you are a die hard windows person, there is becoming less and less reason to own a dell,hp these are dying breads. Apple stock is up over 500% in the last three years as people are coming to the reality that I don't want to be an IT guy to use my computer. I just want it to work...Yeh there is still those Father and sons that use to work on cars on saturday till the car companies started putting plastic covers over the engines to keep them out. Where did they go? To fry's, comp usa, lets buy a box and build a pc computer son and play games. After a week on the internet and it crashes from a virus, halaloua son we get rebuild the computer this week end.
I like my macbook :)

Pepper
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
I like my macbook :)

So you got one, good for you...:lol:

KitchenKitten99
12-05-2007, 11:05 AM
macs are for people who are easily satisfied with the software they give you, and aren't into customizing with other software and options.

I like that I can install programs/software and not worry about compatibility to Windows, as well as install one that I prefer over the pre-loaded stuff.

Businesses use Windows PC's not because of marketing, but because of the ability to have programs custom-designed for them for about 1/8 the price of one for a Mac OS. This is because writing programs for Mac is difficult because their OS is more complex. Another reason why virus-designers don't do mac viruses. Too much work for too little effect. Many companies have specially designed programs to fit their particular business operations. Banks/Credit Unions, Retail stores, accountants, financial advisors, etc., almost all have software designed for their business. Even Officemax, where I work PT, uses PC's for all operations, including the ImPress graphic design center. It all comes down to versatility. Macs just aren't versatile enough to be used on a wider scale.

It is like going to a car dealer that only sells one make/model car, and all you have to choose from are the options that the car will come with, vs. going to a dealer that sells the full line of two or more manufacturers as well as an array of accessories to make the car uniquely yours. If you're satisfied with the one make/model, then so be it. it's your choice.

Sitarro
12-05-2007, 11:26 AM
macs are for people who are easily satisfied with the software they give you, and aren't into customizing with other software and options.

I like that I can install programs/software and not worry about compatibility to Windows, as well as install one that I prefer over the pre-loaded stuff.

Businesses use Windows PC's not because of marketing, but because of the ability to have programs custom-designed for them for about 1/8 the price of one for a Mac OS. This is because writing programs for Mac is difficult because their OS is more complex. Another reason why virus-designers don't do mac viruses. Too much work for too little effect. Many companies have specially designed programs to fit their particular business operations. Banks/Credit Unions, Retail stores, accountants, financial advisors, etc., almost all have software designed for their business. Even Officemax, where I work PT, uses PC's for all operations, including the ImPress graphic design center. It all comes down to versatility. Macs just aren't versatile enough to be used on a wider scale.

It is like going to a car dealer that only sells one make/model car, and all you have to choose from are the options that the car will come with, vs. going to a dealer that sells the full line of two or more manufacturers as well as an array of accessories to make the car uniquely yours. If you're satisfied with the one make/model, then so be it. it's your choice.

Your assumptions are woefully outdated. The new Macs can rub ob windows if one would actually want that. I worked for a large retail store 11 years ago that was completely Mac on the floor, the accountants still screwed around with Windows, but all of the individual departments including cashiers were on Macs. This was a very specialized store, a huge art supply store, the oldest and biggest in the world........ how could they be almost completely powered by Apple?

The real reason people go for Windows based units is that they can be purchased from Korean manufacturers for almost nothing. Because they are cheap, there are a lot of them so parts are cheap, you can build one from parts that you can pick up at Fry's and it's easier to find people to do work on them.

A lot of that isn't true anymore and if there is some obscure crappy little game you need to play that isn't set up for Macs, you can boot your Mac up in Windows and play that little game to your heart content. Oh and there is plenty of software for the Mac, it tends to be the type that someone who wants to use their computer to make money, rather than play games, can use.

KitchenKitten99
12-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Your assumptions are woefully outdated. The new Macs can rub ob windows if one would actually want that. I worked for a large retail store 11 years ago that was completely Mac on the floor, the accountants still screwed around with Windows, but all of the individual departments including cashiers were on Macs. This was a very specialized store, a huge art supply store, the oldest and biggest in the world........ how could they be almost completely powered by Apple?
My statements aren't assumptions, they're facts. There is a difference. Did this store have multiple locations and the customer volume that a multi-state store such as OfficeMax or Best Buy had? It doesn't matter what kind of store you worked in, it matters what they needed the computers to do. If it was a privately owned store, one location (your's), and all that was needed was cashiering, then yes, what was already available on the Mac probably would work just fine. But when you need the system to do more than just run a register, then Mac won't suffice-they're just not that versatile yet. When I worked for Wells Fargo Bank, every program we used to look at customer accounts was Windows-based, and I believe 99% of the PC's were Dell.

The real reason people go for Windows based units is that they can be purchased from Korean manufacturers for almost nothing. Because they are cheap, there are a lot of them so parts are cheap, you can build one from parts that you can pick up at Fry's and it's easier to find people to do work on them.
I don't go for windows PC's solely because they're cheaper. I go for customization and the ability to have more than one person at my disposal to look at it, if I ever do encounter a problem.

I don't know if you have ever looked at actual parts for PC's, but they aren't cheap. Some are cheaper than others, but if you pick higher-quality, you still pay a pretty penny. Maybe they are cheaper than Macs, but the parts you can buy for Macs, won't fit into PC's, so there's only one market. Parts for Pc's generally will fit most major systems. Supply & demand determine product prices... simple economics.

A lot of that isn't true anymore and if there is some obscure crappy little game you need to play that isn't set up for Macs, you can boot your Mac up in Windows and play that little game to your heart content. Oh and there is plenty of software for the Mac, it tends to be the type that someone who wants to use their computer to make money, rather than play games, can use.
. Did I ever say anything about games? Even so, if I did, why would you feel the need to say it is crappy? Are all games that run on windows crappy to you? Or I take it that you don't play games at all, especially since finding good ones that play on Macs (at least past machines) is like finding gold in a copper mine.

Not everyone uses their computer to make money. Very few consumers do. My husband certainly doesn't. His was specifically built for gaming, which is his hobby. Macs just cannot handle the games he plays.

I actually do use my PC to make money because I am self-employed and I take my laptop everywhere I go when I am with clients. I'll say this, that nobody I know that is self-employed, uses Macs.

Also, why would I want to take the extra steps on a Mac just to run a program on windows, when I could have one that is Windows-ready and save myself the trouble?

Said1
12-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Unless Canada is more Mac friendly, I don't see a lot of the problems listed in this thread happening. There are several locations in my area alone that service and sell Macs. Honestly, it seems as though more and more people are switching, including those who are self-employed. One of my self-employed friends just upgraded his Mac laptop (something or other) for $57.00. With certain exceptions, I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

I've been using Macs since I was 14 yrs old. In my opinion, many compatibility issues that drove me crazy and turned me off to owning one have been resolved. I would agree that a Mac isn't the best option for certain things, but for everyday use, they're grrrreat. I have an old upgraded Ibook and I love it. In fact, I've owned 2 PCs in 3 yrs. My mother has owned 4 Macs (including the Ibook I now own) in somthing like 16 yrs! She's self-employed and will move to PC when they remove her Mac from her cold dead hands. I guess that's a never. :laugh2:

Kathianne
12-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Well I subscribe to the philosophy of whatever 'floats your boat.' I learned on pc's, loved the computers since I really started using. On the other hand, about 2 years ago, in a pique after my 4th or 5th pc crashed and burned, I bought a Mac. 2 months ago, bought the macbook, I wouldn't look back.

I don't have a problem with those that love their Dells, Compaqs, HP's, etc. I do feel sorry when I see the call outs on, "MS Office keeps crashing, what do I do?" I love this video, reminds me of Fame v. The Office!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jkrn6ecxthM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jkrn6ecxthM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

KitchenKitten99
12-06-2007, 03:45 PM
meh... these are funnier...

*rather than take up bandwidth, here are the links:
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/bootcamp.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/performance.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/os.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/gaming.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/services.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/networking.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/security.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/upgrading.php