PDA

View Full Version : Menstrual Inequity

jimnyc
10-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Menstrual inequity sounds funny, but would by far be a much better name. :rolleyes: Some of the reasoning and scary sounding stuff is horseshit.

Why do so many lefty groups need to use foul terms? Whether in their name or in descriptions, banners and mottos they run by. They seem to think you need to be outlandishly disgusting in order to get attention. Sure, negative right off the bat, IMO.

--

Protesters rally outside Capitol on first National Period Day

When Julie Sanchez was growing up, she would stay home from school when she got her period.

Her mother, a single parent working a minimum-wage job to support her three daughters, could barely afford rent, let alone tampons. When she bled, Sanchez wouldn’t leave her home and would reluctantly put on the same blood-stained clothing she wore the month before.

“It was really tough,” the 21-year-old from Brownsville, Texas, told a crowd of about 500 people at a rally outside the Capitol Building on Saturday to mark the first National Period Day. “I remember the shame we felt. No one should ever have to feel that way. It’s time to end menstrual inequity.”

Sanchez’s call to action was met with vociferous affirmation and ardent support from a crowd waving signs with battle cries like, “Stop taxing my vagina!” and “There will be blood!”

Whereas some 59 other rallies held nationwide on Saturday advocated for widespread period product access and an end to the tampon tax, rallygoers in the nation’s capital also demanded Congress address reports of migrant women in detention centers at the U.S.-Mexico border denied period products and bleeding through their clothing.

“Less often do we talk about menstrual equity in places that are totally beyond public view, such as prisons and immigration detention centers,” said keynote speaker Julie Schwietert Collazo, director of Immigrant Families Together. “They cannot be here to speak in their own words. I am here to ask that we do not forget them today, on National Period Day, or any day.”

Nadya Okamoto, a 21-year-old junior at Harvard University and cofounder of nonprofit advocacy group PERIOD, helped launch the series of rallies across the country.

“Period poverty disproportionately affects people in low-income households,” Okamoto said of a report that found 46 percent of low-income women had to choose between a meal and period products. “This isn’t just about periods. This is about gender equality and fighting for global development.”

Rest - https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/19/national-period-day-protesters-tampon-tax-051506

Elessar
10-19-2019, 06:25 PM
This is really one of the lowest 'movements' I have seen. She has a personal problem, period!
(Used period for emphasis)!

That is not a national problem.
If she was not raised to be able to cope, then why should the nation cave in and cope?

Let's have a "National Diarrhea Day" while they are at it, whing like children.

Noir
10-20-2019, 02:21 AM
That is not a national problem.
If she was not raised to be able to cope, then why should the nation cave in and cope?

In what sense is something that affects about half of the national population not a national problem?

Let's have a "National Diarrhea Day" while they are at it, whing like children.

You equate menstruation and diarrhoea?

Elessar
10-20-2019, 07:08 AM
In what sense is something that affects about half of the national population not a national problem?

It is a naturally occurring physical process, not a national problem

You equate menstruation and diarrhoea?

I did not say that. Just pointing out the stupidity of it.

With your stupid comebacks you like to put words in people's mouths.

Noir
10-20-2019, 07:37 AM
It is a naturally occurring physical process, not a national problem.

As referenced in the OP in can be a problem - someone who is menstruating in a prison, or detention centre etc should have access to menstrual hygiene products.

Elessar
10-20-2019, 08:08 AM
As referenced in the OP in can be a problem - someone who is menstruating in a prison, or detention centre etc should have access to menstrual hygiene products.

Still not a national problem. It is a personal problem. If institutionalized, that should be handled locally - not nationally.

Noir
10-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Still not a national problem. It is a personal problem. If institutionalized, that should be handled locally - not nationally.

Do you think these people should have access to these hygiene products, yes or no?

Drummond
10-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Do you think these people should have access to these hygiene products, yes or no?

Oh, God !!

This is just so typically LEFTIE. The jargonising, and particularly, the methodology employed.

This is, as we both know, Noir (though you'd never admit it) all about promotion of the Nanny State. Where the Nanny State governs, ultimately, any & all aspects of a person's life, no matter how major, OR trivial, OR personal.

To you, and your 'comrades', it's all the same. Make sure a psychology is adopted where everybody feels totally dependent upon The Almighty State for EVERYTHING in their lives. Then, the icing on the cake: make sure that those who govern and are in command of that scope of control, are Left Wing, so that attitudes are 'terraformed' into total uniformity, over time.

I'm not wrong, am I ? Why would this issue be painted as such a major one, requiring and deserving such intervention over what is, after all, a mere PERSONAL issue ??

No. You want, and maybe crave, the establishment of a social order where absolutely everything is controlled and regulated from a governing authority, with personal & individual responsibility taken out of the equation. I say this: America was founded on individual striving, and respect and reverence for individual enterprise. This nonsense is, for people like you, a small yet significant stepping-stone towards killing off that entire psychology.

You'd happily kill off the spirit which made America great. Wouldn't you, Noir ?

Today ... 'Menstrual Inequity' (a nice little buzz-phrase). Tomorrow ... God knows. But it won't stop here, & that's my point.

SassyLady
10-20-2019, 10:10 AM

Noir ... I was a welfare child. My mom was single mother of 7 and I never had to do without hygiene products.

I cannot fathom anyone going without unless they don't know how to prioritize. Do these people have phones, tablets, tattoos, pets, computers, tvs? People chose where and how to spend their money and if hygiene products are needed then sacrifice something else.

Don't make it into something it's not ... a national crisis.

Abbey Marie
10-20-2019, 01:39 PM
I would differentiate between the general public and those incarcerated or otherwise detained. In those latter instances, they are dependent on their caretakers and jailers to provide necessities. This IS a necessity for hygiene purposes. It’s not in this case a nanny state situation.

jimnyc
10-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Speaking of periods, and asinine protesters.... the mental illness in them is severely showing.

--

Trans Activists Force Procter & Gamble To Remove Venus Symbol From Sanitary Pads Packaging

National Period Day wasn't just a day for Democrat politicians to pander, but it was also a day for large corporations to cave to pressure from the transgender lobby. On Saturday, transgender activists succeeded in forcing Procter & Gamble, the makers of Always sanitary pads, to remove the "Venus" female symbol (♀) from the wrapping of its products.

Transgender lobby forces sanitary towel-maker Always to ditch Venus logo from its products https://t.co/JzTeqMknG9

— Daily Mail U.K. (@DailyMailUK) October 20, 2019

The company caved due to accusations of "transphobia."

The cave-in by P&G comes after Flora margarine stopped advertising on Mumsnet following accusations that the parenting website is transphobic, which also sparked a boycott as reported by The Mail on Sunday last week.
A trans activist using the pseudonym ‘Melly Boom’ had tweeted in July asking Always why it was ‘imperative’ to have the sign on their sanitary products.

The tweet said: ‘There are non-binary and trans folks who still need to use your products too you know!’

Another activist, Ben Saunders – named young campaigner of the year by LGBT charity Stonewall in May after making a documentary about being transgender – contacted the sanitary pad makers in June with a similar complaint.

The Always marketing team replied with a comment that Saunders, 18, posted on Twitter, reading: ‘We are glad to inform you that as of December we will use a wrapper design without the feminine symbol.’

Sanitary pads without the feminine symbol on the wrapping are now expected to hit stores in January 2020. Procter & Gamble's decision to kowtow to a tiny, tiny fraction of population, however, has outraged women, who are now boycotting the brand.

Rest - https://pjmedia.com/trending/trans-activists-force-procter-gamble-to-remove-venus-symbol-from-sanitary-pads-packaging/

Elessar
10-20-2019, 07:03 PM

That is their option, not the government's responsibility.

Grow up!

icansayit
10-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Honestly speaking. It's not mine, nor your business whether they do, or don't have access to anything. Government should not be involved, in any way with our own...Personal Responsibilities. Anywhere.

This entire PERIOD thing is just another Excuse (IMO) for someone to find another reason to complain about common problems THAT WERE HANDLED privately...ever since the invention of PERSONAL HYGIENE products. Government has no business in it.

But then again. Those who believe Govt. is their only answer to everything...will disagree with me on this. AND Frankly. I DON'T CARE.

Elessar
10-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Honestly speaking. It's not mine, nor your business whether they do, or don't have access to anything. Government should not be involved, in any way with our own...Personal Responsibilities. Anywhere.

This entire PERIOD thing is just another Excuse (IMO) for someone to find another reason to complain about common problems THAT WERE HANDLED privately...ever since the invention of PERSONAL HYGIENE products. Government has no business in it.

But then again. Those who believe Govt. is their only answer to everything...will disagree with me on this. AND Frankly. I DON'T CARE.

Well said icansayit

Buy your own tampons, Noir. Do not depend in the government to do it, no matter the instance.

Elessar
10-20-2019, 08:24 PM

Missed this.

Access on whose bill? The taxpayers first, or on the self?

Noir
10-21-2019, 03:41 AM
I would differentiate between the general public and those incarcerated or otherwise detained. In those latter instances, they are dependent on their caretakers and jailers to provide necessities.This IS a necessity for hygiene purposes.

100% agree, though no doubt there are some that don’t.

It’s not in this case a nanny state situation.

Paying for the products is one thing - paying a specified tax on those products (which I believe is the main issue of contention) is quite another.

Gunny
10-22-2019, 09:05 AM
Feminazi, agenda-driven bullshit. When is "Incontinence/Diaper Day"?

People that have enough time to sit around and put THIS kind of crap on the top of their agenda list need to be set adrift on a raft in the middle of the Pacific.