PDA

View Full Version : UConn students ARRESTED for 'ridiculing' speech

jimnyc
10-22-2019, 02:29 PM
Yes, you read that right. It would be one thing if they got in the face and directly said it to someone , a verbal fight of sorts. But these scumbags were just walking through a parking lot and apparently used racial slurs - but not even to anyone. But yes, granted, someone obviously heard it and recorded it.

So not only did they get charged with a crime - but a hate crime. How stupid. But at least the law doesn't support anyone in the LBGTQ group and I'm free to ridicule them all day long!! :laugh2:

---

UConn students ARRESTED for 'ridiculing' speech in viral video

Two University of Connecticut students were arrested Monday after video allegedly showed them using racial slurs.
The school confirmed to Campus Reform that the men were charged under a Connecticut statute that makes it a crime to "ridicule" certain people.

University of Connecticut Police arrested Monday two men who were allegedly seen in a viral video reciting a racial slur.

The incident occurred on Oct. 11 in the parking lot of an off-campus apartment complex. In the video, there are three men walking through the lot. An individual took the video from the window of an apartment building, according to local media reports.

The video prompted the UConn NAACP chapter to pen a letter to the editor of the campus newspaper, The Daily Campus, calling on officials "to fully investigate this incident and apply the proper justice." Following those calls, the university confirmed to Campus Reform Monday that two of the three men allegedly seen in the video were arrested under a Connecticut state statute that makes it a crime to "ridicule" certain persons.

"Any person who, by his advertisement, ridicules or holds up to contempt any person or class of persons, on account of the creed, religion, color, denomination, nationality or race of such person or class of persons, shall be guilty of a class D misdemeanor," the statute states.

https://i.imgur.com/BEZlCrj.png

UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz confirmed in a statement to Campus Reform the arrests of the men who were "heard shouting a racial slur."

"The two students both were charged under CGS 53-37, ridicule on account of creed, religion, color, denomination, nationality or race," Reitz said. "A third person had accompanied them as they walked outside of the apartments, but the police investigation determined that individual had not participated in the behavior."

The two men arrested were identified in a police report obtained by Campus Reform as Ryan Mucaj and Jarred Karal, both 21. The police report states that Mucaj and Karal "played a game in which they yelled vulgar words" after leaving an area business.

Mucaj and Karal are scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 30. If convicted, they could face fines of up to $50, up to 30 days in jail, or both.

UConn President Thomas Katsouleas released a statement reacting to the arrests, saying, “It is supportive of our core values to pursue accountability, through due process, for an egregious assault on our community that has caused considerable harm. I’m grateful for the university’s collective effort in responding to this incident, especially the hard work of the UConn Police Department, which has been investigating the case since it was reported.”

In a 2018 column for Reason, University of California at Los Angeles law professor Eugene Volokh called the statute under which the men were charged "obviously unconstitutional, because it suppresses speech based on its content (and viewpoint), and because there's no First Amendment exception for speech that insults based on race or religion."

The arrests come less than one month after New York City banned the use of the term, "illegal alien," which is the legal term in the U.S. code for “any person not a citizen or national of the United States.” The arrests come the same week that Massachusetts lawmakers hold a hearing on whether to impose a fine of up to $200 for using the word "bitch."

The arrests also follow Campus Reform's reporting on a Knight Foundation survey that found 41 percent of college students do not believe hate speech should be protected under the First Amendment.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13898

CONNECTICUT HATE CRIMES LAWS

By: Christopher Reinhart, Senior Attorney

You asked for a summary of Connecticut's hate crimes laws.

SUMMARY

Connecticut has a number of statutes on hate crimes that protect a range of people, enhance penalties for bias crimes, and allow an injured person to sue for money damages. The primary criminal statutes are the intimidation based on bigotry or bias crimes. These statutes provide three degrees of penalties. They address certain actions that intimidate or harass another person because of his actual or perceived race, religion, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.

Other provisions on hate crimes; education programs as conditions of accelerated rehabilitation, probation, and conditional discharge; police training; and an advisory committee are described below.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0276.htm

STTAB
10-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Yes, you read that right. It would be one thing if they got in the face and directly said it to someone , a verbal fight of sorts. But these scumbags were just walking through a parking lot and apparently used racial slurs - but not even to anyone. But yes, granted, someone obviously heard it and recorded it.

So not only did they get charged with a crime - but a hate crime. How stupid. But at least the law doesn't support anyone in the LBGTQ group and I'm free to ridicule them all day long!! :laugh2:

---

UConn students ARRESTED for 'ridiculing' speech in viral video

Two University of Connecticut students were arrested Monday after video allegedly showed them using racial slurs.
The school confirmed to Campus Reform that the men were charged under a Connecticut statute that makes it a crime to "ridicule" certain people.

University of Connecticut Police arrested Monday two men who were allegedly seen in a viral video reciting a racial slur.

The incident occurred on Oct. 11 in the parking lot of an off-campus apartment complex. In the video, there are three men walking through the lot. An individual took the video from the window of an apartment building, according to local media reports.

The video prompted the UConn NAACP chapter to pen a letter to the editor of the campus newspaper, The Daily Campus, calling on officials "to fully investigate this incident and apply the proper justice." Following those calls, the university confirmed to Campus Reform Monday that two of the three men allegedly seen in the video were arrested under a Connecticut state statute that makes it a crime to "ridicule" certain persons.

"Any person who, by his advertisement, ridicules or holds up to contempt any person or class of persons, on account of the creed, religion, color, denomination, nationality or race of such person or class of persons, shall be guilty of a class D misdemeanor," the statute states.

https://i.imgur.com/BEZlCrj.png

UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz confirmed in a statement to Campus Reform the arrests of the men who were "heard shouting a racial slur."

"The two students both were charged under CGS 53-37, ridicule on account of creed, religion, color, denomination, nationality or race," Reitz said. "A third person had accompanied them as they walked outside of the apartments, but the police investigation determined that individual had not participated in the behavior."

The two men arrested were identified in a police report obtained by Campus Reform as Ryan Mucaj and Jarred Karal, both 21. The police report states that Mucaj and Karal "played a game in which they yelled vulgar words" after leaving an area business.

Mucaj and Karal are scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 30. If convicted, they could face fines of up to $50, up to 30 days in jail, or both.

UConn President Thomas Katsouleas released a statement reacting to the arrests, saying, “It is supportive of our core values to pursue accountability, through due process, for an egregious assault on our community that has caused considerable harm. I’m grateful for the university’s collective effort in responding to this incident, especially the hard work of the UConn Police Department, which has been investigating the case since it was reported.”

In a 2018 column for Reason, University of California at Los Angeles law professor Eugene Volokh called the statute under which the men were charged "obviously unconstitutional, because it suppresses speech based on its content (and viewpoint), and because there's no First Amendment exception for speech that insults based on race or religion."

The arrests come less than one month after New York City banned the use of the term, "illegal alien," which is the legal term in the U.S. code for “any person not a citizen or national of the United States.” The arrests come the same week that Massachusetts lawmakers hold a hearing on whether to impose a fine of up to $200 for using the word "bitch."

The arrests also follow Campus Reform's reporting on a Knight Foundation survey that found 41 percent of college students do not believe hate speech should be protected under the First Amendment.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13898

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0276.htm

How the fuck is this law constitutional? And lest anyone here think this is something new, it's been on the books in Connecticut since 1979

jimnyc
10-22-2019, 02:47 PM
Now I read this crap. Hell, I've called my brother in law this all the time! Would I get a fine for saying it to him? FOS is dying. But won't stop me. :) :) Stupidity is spreading.

--

Massachusetts Lawmaker Proposes $200 Fine, 6 Months in Jail for Using The Word ‘B*tch’

The language police are at it again.

A Massachusetts state lawmaker is proposing legislation to ban anyone from using the word “b*tch” in certain instances, Reason.com reports.

State Rep. Daniel Hunt, a Boston Democrat, has offered a new bill to outlaw anyone from using the word “to accost, annoy, degrade or demean” another person. Doing so would constitute a “disorderly person” and anyone found guilty could face fines of up to $200 and/or six months in jail.

“Hunt’s bill specifies that either the person called a bitch or a witness to the bitch-calling could report the crime to the police,” Reason reports. The bill goes before the Joint Committee on the Judiciary on Tuesday.

The Massachusetts Republican Party and mocked the bill Monday, writing on Twitter, “Beacon Hill Democrats like [Rep. Dan Hunt] are fearlessly taking on the biggest problems facing the commonwealth.”

Beacon Hill Democrats like @repdanhunt are fearlessly taking on the biggest problems facing the commonwealth. #mapoli pic.twitter.com/xxyECXmd6J

— MassGOP (@massgop) October 21, 2019

“Do you believe free speech matters? Tired of [Massachusetts Democrats] dictating what you can say?… Come on Down to the State House. Rooms A1&A2. First floor. Let ’em have it,” MassGOP wrote.

Do you believe free speech matters? Tired of @massdems dictating what you can say?

Judiciary Committee will be taking this up tomorrow at 1 pm.

Come on down to the State House. Rooms A1&A2. First floor. Let ’em have it. #mapoli https://t.co/afowov3IFg

— MassGOP (@massgop) October 22, 2019

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/10/massachusetts-lawmaker-proposes-200-fine-6-months-in-jail-for-using-the-word-btch/

jimnyc
10-22-2019, 02:48 PM
How the fuck is this law constitutional? And lest anyone here think this is something new, it's been on the books in Connecticut since 1979

Where u see that? The 2nd link I gave is to the CT page and the letter is dated 2008. I very well could be wrong and just missing it!

Kathianne
10-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Pretty sure if they've the money, it will get tossed as unconstitutional. Same with NYC barring words.

Elessar
10-22-2019, 04:46 PM
I am no attorney so cannot really comment on the legal interpretations.

However, if expressions are just used in general with no person targeted, they are just foul
use of words. Usually by an ignorant person just to feel tough.

But if directed at a person or persons with intent to create a fight or struggle, that can be
viewed a verbal assault. Just like spitting on someone is assault.

STTAB
10-23-2019, 11:59 AM
Where u see that? The 2nd link I gave is to the CT page and the letter is dated 2008. I very well could be wrong and just missing it!

I'll have to see if I can find the link Jimmy . I was reading around yesterday and saw an article where a guy was talking about how many cases had been prosecuted since 1979 (not very many , like 10 or something total)

STTAB
10-23-2019, 12:01 PM
I am no attorney so cannot really comment on the legal interpretations.

However, if expressions are just used in general with no person targeted, they are just foul
use of words. Usually by an ignorant person just to feel tough.

But if directed at a person or persons with intent to create a fight or struggle, that can be
viewed a verbal assault. Just like spitting on someone is assault.

The problem with this view is it is contrary to our view of jurisprudence where intent is an element of a crime and thus must be proven . Except a few laws which don't require intent.

So, how could you EVER prove what someone intended to have happen as a result of their name calling?