PDA

View Full Version : Not looking good folks

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 08:32 AM
The board that is. Seems when I am away, and not getting threads started, that things slowly dwindle, and it's dying I'm afraid. Folks not starting threads and others never do. Is what it is. I suppose various reasoning doesn't really even matter at this point. The point is, the board is going south for lack of participation. And like I told others, I'm ok with that. Between my old board and this one it was a straight run from 2003-2019 now. Not getting new members, folks don't want to start threads and many visit and don't post at all. And that's fine, we all tire for various reasons over time. But not looking good and I can't do things by myself. But if we close up shop, I'll be ok with that. I would just hope that many of us trade info and where they apparently prefer to hang and post at then!

CSM
10-31-2019, 09:37 AM
I dunno... I used to try to start threads but gave up mostly because of the personal feuds that seem to pop up more and more lately. If I wanted to listen (read) to a bunch of insults, I would play old videos of my family gatherings. Also, the political scene in this country has been reduced to a bunch of partisan hacks and talking heads browbeating each other in public.

I do enjoy a good debate and discussions on things besides politics and liberals.....

pete311
10-31-2019, 09:50 AM
You have too many sub forums. Many can be consolidated. I don't have time to browse them all to find interesting stuff.

Noir
10-31-2019, 10:06 AM
I dunno... I used to try to start threads but gave up mostly because of the personal feuds that seem to pop up more and more lately.

Aint that the truth, the quality of replies are frequently very low, and even in cases were interesting discussions are happening the intervening posts are filled with insults.

The drop in quality contributors has also had an inevitable consequence on the forum - Nukeman, Trigg, Revelerts, DragonStryk, PMP, FJ, Stephanie etc offered a lot more than the folk endlessly that are derailing threads.

I don’t expect the quality to improve.

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 10:14 AM
You have too many sub forums. Many can be consolidated. I don't have time to browse them all to find interesting stuff.

Not true, Pete. So what you're saying is - you ain't bright enough to find a story and know where to post it? I don't think I EVER go forum to forum. I either look at last 10 posts at the top of the board, or I go by new posts.

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 10:16 AM
I dunno... I used to try to start threads but gave up mostly because of the personal feuds that seem to pop up more and more lately. If I wanted to listen (read) to a bunch of insults, I would play old videos of my family gatherings. Also, the political scene in this country has been reduced to a bunch of partisan hacks and talking heads browbeating each other in public.

I do enjoy a good debate and discussions on things besides politics and liberals.....

That's what I have been telling people lately. We CAN still discuss, we CAN still even heartily disagree on many subjects - but it's HOW we write to one another that matters. We remain friendly and post as such, you'll generally get a decent reply. There are some that don't care and always troll about, but I am personally trying to post decently and walking away when things get bitter/nasty replies and such. OR i place the usual suspects of ruining threads on a form of ignore, and voila!

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 10:31 AM
Aint that the truth, the quality of replies are frequently very low, and even in cases were interesting discussions are happening the intervening posts are filled with insults.

The drop in quality contributors has also had an inevitable consequence on the forum - Nukeman, Trigg, Revelerts, DragonStryk, PMP, FJ, Stephanie etc offered a lot more than the folk endlessly that are derailing threads.

We ALL have full control over this. Just as I am truly trying my best top remain friendly, even in the face of crappy subjects, makes the difference. It takes ONE person to start and then some others will follow suit in the personal department.

Oh, I sit back and watch, and I know who goes personal the quickest. I know how folks tend to respond, I know who starts threads and all that jazz. None here are fully innocent, but no doubt some worse than others. AND this is a possible consequence of having limited rules, of which everyone wanted as folks often complained about how we ran things here.

All I can do personally is be responsible for my own actions, and I would hope all would do the same and make efforts. Then it's quite clear who the troublemakers are, and if folks FINALLY used the ignore thingy and only discussed with those wanting to actually discuss - problem somewhat solved. Certainly won't help the activity level around here though and I know that. I don't expect quality to improve right now either, but always hopeful, especially with an upcoming election. Then again, with the current climate, elections tend to draw in the wackos.

And not every person leaves for the same reason. No doubt we don't offer fully what they want, or they would still be here, I admit that. But some folks have lives, like Nuke/Trigg with 3 kids and all around the college age and traveling and such.... and then I think they outgrew the place. But they didn't leave because of fighting. But quite a few others definitely did so. But not everything is due to personal fighting and insults. And to an extent, it does involve multiple parties at times. I just wish I could have FORCED ignore on some folks over the years. It was an option in an older older version of Vb.

I can only do the best of what "I" can do, and plan on continuing to try and do that.

STTAB
10-31-2019, 10:42 AM
Not true, Pete. So what you're saying is - you ain't bright enough to find a story and know where to post it? I don't think I EVER go forum to forum. I either look at last 10 posts at the top of the board, or I go by new posts.

Come on man, insulting someone who is trying to offer what they feel is a good suggestion isn't any way to grow the board. And you know I feel about Pete, I'm just saying...........

For myself Jim, I think you need to cut off the memes with no on subject comments from the poster, if you notice every time that shit gets started the thread dies. No one wants to wade through that garbage , particularly when you have a sub forum dedicated to political humor of which those memes belong in.

Also, and this seems obvious, many on this board need to start being way more tolerant of opinions they don't agree with. What kind of interesting conversations can we expect if the only people who are encouraged to post are those who share the majority opinion, and then couple that with no matter how stupid the person is , they are encouraged to continue their stupidity if they hold the majority opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, if it's a financial thing, let us know, I'm happy to kick in a few bucks.

STTAB
10-31-2019, 10:47 AM
We ALL have full control over this. Just as I am truly trying my best top remain friendly, even in the face of crappy subjects, makes the difference. It takes ONE person to start and then some others will follow suit in the personal department.

Oh, I sit back and watch, and I know who goes personal the quickest. I know how folks tend to respond, I know who starts threads and all that jazz. None here are fully innocent, but no doubt some worse than others. AND this is a possible consequence of having limited rules, of which everyone wanted as folks often complained about how we ran things here.

All I can do personally is be responsible for my own actions, and I would hope all would do the same and make efforts. Then it's quite clear who the troublemakers are, and if folks FINALLY used the ignore thingy and only discussed with those wanting to actually discuss - problem somewhat solved. Certainly won't help the activity level around here though and I know that. I don't expect quality to improve right now either, but always hopeful, especially with an upcoming election. Then again, with the current climate, elections tend to draw in the wackos.

And not every person leaves for the same reason. No doubt we don't offer fully what they want, or they would still be here, I admit that. But some folks have lives, like Nuke/Trigg with 3 kids and all around the college age and traveling and such.... and then I think they outgrew the place. But they didn't leave because of fighting. But quite a few others definitely did so. But not everything is due to personal fighting and insults. And to an extent, it does involve multiple parties at times. I just wish I could have FORCED ignore on some folks over the years. It was an option in an older older version of Vb.

I can only do the best of what "I" can do, and plan on continuing to try and do that.

Here's what I think Jim on that score. I don't think "ignore" should be an option. I think it kills potential good conversations. I'll use Tyr here as an example and hope he doesnt mine. I know he has me on ignore. Whatever, anyway every occasionally he posts something that makes me think "hmmm" and I'd like to offer a response and that would further a particular thread but why bother since he has me on ignore? If it were me I'd take everyone off ignore and just ruthlessly enforce thread bans and tell whiners that's gonna have to be good enuff. I think that would create some conversation. And I also realize it would probably result in some thread bans for me LOL

STTAB
10-31-2019, 10:48 AM

Speaking for me personally Noir, I'd like to see you post more.

pete311
10-31-2019, 11:44 AM
The reality is that DP retains only the most demented conservatives and a few moderates who love misery.

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 11:57 AM
Come on man, insulting someone who is trying to offer what they feel is a good suggestion isn't any way to grow the board. And you know I feel about Pete, I'm just saying...........

For myself Jim, I think you need to cut off the memes with no on subject comments from the poster, if you notice every time that shit gets started the thread dies. No one wants to wade through that garbage , particularly when you have a sub forum dedicated to political humor of which those memes belong in.

Also, and this seems obvious, many on this board need to start being way more tolerant of opinions they don't agree with. What kind of interesting conversations can we expect if the only people who are encouraged to post are those who share the majority opinion, and then couple that with no matter how stupid the person is , they are encouraged to continue their stupidity if they hold the majority opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, if it's a financial thing, let us know, I'm happy to kick in a few bucks.

First off, let Pete and I discuss ourselves, no need for you to butt in to my comments to him and vice versa. We're both big boys and can handle ourselves, I assure you. :)

I don't like the memes non-stop in good threads either. We should have a few threads dedicated to the humor of such and have them posted there, not as news article posts or responses.

And the tolerance - yeps. Folks should either have tolerance and respond as humans, or utilize the ignore function. Been saying so for years and years, but no one listens. And if folks think things are somehow "different" here, they aren't. Do folks feel if they go to other boards like usmb, jpp, DA, DU or any other board with more than 1k posts - that they won't be littered with fighting, insults and arguments? I know it sucks, but that's what politics does to people, again, nature of the beast. It's not something that DP has a trademark on, it's something that "humans" have trademarked - and that's usually their freedom of speech, which will often lead to harsh disagreements on politics. In fact, I would say that most other places are much much worse, and come with worse moderating as well.

We definitely moderate little here, and can do better on some subjects. But it's up to the community. And if folks DID have more tolerance, less personal comments and/or just ignored the riff raff.... but folks here and elsewhere have ALWAYS chosen the negative route of speaking their minds, whenever. And yet everyone also complains about the smallest changes in how the place is moderated. I prefer to let folks choose for themselves, while offering quite a few ways to easily make the place at least a little better for themselves. Most don't bother with such options.

Finances it is not. I know folks have been MORE than gracious to DP over the years, but the majority of the time I have no issue at all footing the bill. I NEVER complain about such and never will. :)

If I knew of a magic wand to be able to advertise and get tons of members, and most being 'nice' people, I would do so. Hell, I can't even get many asses to come join. Maybe I'm wrong for this. :dunno:

STTAB
10-31-2019, 12:05 PM
First off, let Pete and I discuss ourselves, no need for you to butt in to my comments to him and vice versa. We're both big boys and can handle ourselves, I assure you. :)

I don't like the memes non-stop in good threads either. We should have a few threads dedicated to the humor of such and have them posted there, not as news article posts or responses.

And the tolerance - yeps. Folks should either have tolerance and respond as humans, or utilize the ignore function. Been saying so for years and years, but no one listens. And if folks think things are somehow "different" here, they aren't. Do folks feel if they go to other boards like usmb, jpp, DA, DU or any other board with more than 1k posts - that they won't be littered with fighting, insults and arguments? I know it sucks, but that's what politics does to people, again, nature of the beast. It's not something that DP has a trademark on, it's something that "humans" have trademarked - and that's usually their freedom of speech, which will often lead to harsh disagreements on politics. In fact, I would say that most other places are much much worse, and come with worse moderating as well.

We definitely moderate little here, and can do better on some subjects. But it's up to the community. And if folks DID have more tolerance, less personal comments and/or just ignored the riff raff.... but folks here and elsewhere have ALWAYS chosen the negative route of speaking their minds, whenever. And yet everyone also complains about the smallest changes in how the place is moderated. I prefer to let folks choose for themselves, while offering quite a few ways to easily make the place at least a little better for themselves. Most don't bother with such options.

Finances it is not. I know folks have been MORE than gracious to DP over the years, but the majority of the time I have no issue at all footing the bill. I NEVER complain about such and never will. :)

If I knew of a magic wand to be able to advertise and get tons of members, and most being 'nice' people, I would do so. Hell, I can't even get many asses to come join. Maybe I'm wrong for this. :dunno:

First off, Pete is not a big boy. He's a little child. His every post confirms this.

Second, you are correct , it isn't this board. Hell go read USMB, it's a total shit show and the average IQ of posters over there can't possibly be in the triple digits.

Third, the hog board I'm on just shut down there politics sub forum altogether AGAIN, lol they shut it down about once a year because the owner gets pissed about the content then he'll cool off and reopen it in a few months. LOL some of them are pretty smart posters, I might see if they want a new politics home.

There is probably about 60 posters who posted there regurarly most of them conservative but a few liberals sprinkled in as well, and not everyone lives in Arkansas.

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 12:08 PM
The reality is that DP retains only the most demented conservatives and a few moderates who love misery.

Are the rules preventing folks from posting? Are the rules preventing anyone other than conservatives from posting here? Have any folks that left done so other than on their own accord? So you believe us few demented conservatives are so good or so mean that we scare away the leftists who solely want to have good conversation, like yourself?

Folks retain themselves, that's a fact. And if someone prefers to bail the place instead of ignoring someone, so be it, that's their choice and right. But no on is forcing anyone to stay or leave.

And for the one person that I KNOW that never posts anything more than a sentence or 2, and pretty much ONLY tries to be negative and insult others opinions - you're about the last person that should speak up. Myself, I admit faults and I admit when wrong. You should learn from it. Not everyone is perfect, but many of us TRY and we DO participate and discuss things at length. Many of us also discuss many friendly things down below. Usually the same type of folks are also mysteriously missing from the friendly stuff, as they have no desire. But for YOU to try and lay blame at the feet of others, while some are admitting fault, and YOU somehow toss fire on it and act innocent...

well that's just laughable Pete. I DO like you and I DO try and nudge you towards writing more and expressing yourself, but apparently all you have left is judgmental one liners, and unable to participate. And then some would wonder why after thousands of one liner insults, and then degrading the board as a whole all the time - folks will still wonder why some on occasion give you some shit in return.

If this all makes you special somehow, and myself a demented conservative, so be it. I thought folks could more think for themselves, more control themselves, easily work with vB software and adjust things to their liking accordingly. But us small few of demented folks apparently are too much for the masses that think differently, and I use my magical Nazi powers to ban anyone that can handle themselves in a discussion. :rolleyes:

If you don't mind, I think I'll continue being the same person I am. Not perfect by any stretch, that's for damn sure! But I still plan on trying harder - and I do plan on trying much harder in avoiding fights and personal stuff. This isn't personal - I TRULY wanted you to ignore other shit and take the prompts and try to discuss things. But you have your preferences as well, just like others I suppose.

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 12:18 PM
First off, Pete is not a big boy. He's a little child. His every post confirms this.

Second, you are correct , it isn't this board. Hell go read USMB, it's a total shit show and the average IQ of posters over there can't possibly be in the triple digits.

Third, the hog board I'm on just shut down there politics sub forum altogether AGAIN, lol they shut it down about once a year because the owner gets pissed about the content then he'll cool off and reopen it in a few months. LOL some of them are pretty smart posters, I might see if they want a new politics home.

There is probably about 60 posters who posted there regurarly most of them conservative but a few liberals sprinkled in as well, and not everyone lives in Arkansas.

I'd be MORE than happy to eliminate sub-forums if the community thinks that will benefit this place. Folks have to give a count out of shout outs to an extent, let me know which sub-forums they never ever use and they feel is a waste of time, and I can condense. That's not a problem. And I do thank Pete for the suggestion. I just don't think Pete himself will make a difference at all or change at all with sub-forums changed/missing. I don't think Pete is a child at all, I've posted with him. I think he now POSTS like a child most of the time, as per his own choice. And eventually, yep, then that's what people will think.

I could list the top 20 boards out there and they are ALL worse regarding the chaos, sub-forums, nazi moderating and all the fun stuff. We ain't special and we ain't much different. We are one of a bunch. But folks claiming this is the worst or whatever - good luck when you hit the other places. When you can't post your opinion, don't blame me. When you make a post and then 300 people reply with garbage unrelated to politics, don't blame me. I see a lot of crappiness in the places I have been and I try to do it a little differently. A little more freedom and a lot less moderation - and the community and staff of course, will step in for very problematic things like spamming, or folks wanting to literally kill one another. :) But I would rather have minimal rules, and then allow every member the ability to make various things disappear to their liking, without it affecting every single member of the board.

But here I mainly do what the community wants me to do, to an extent of course. And I defy folks to find another community that THEY can run and have so much say in.

But the lack of tolerance of others opinions and the inability of folks to utilize things to make their own experience better, that's a major issue. Folks would rather see others get into trouble than ignore things that make them want to leave. Nature of the beast thing again I guess.

But the things that folks always complain about, the main problems here at DP, I sometimes myself scoff at a little, knowing that it could easily be fixed. AND that it's so much worse at the majority of other places. No awards given here and I know we suck in size - but those are simply the facts otherwise. :(

STTAB
10-31-2019, 12:21 PM
Are the rules preventing folks from posting? Are the rules preventing anyone other than conservatives from posting here? Have any folks that left done so other than on their own accord? So you believe us few demented conservatives are so good or so mean that we scare away the leftists who solely want to have good conversation, like yourself?

Folks retain themselves, that's a fact. And if someone prefers to bail the place instead of ignoring someone, so be it, that's their choice and right. But no on is forcing anyone to stay or leave.

And for the one person that I KNOW that never posts anything more than a sentence or 2, and pretty much ONLY tries to be negative and insult others opinions - you're about the last person that should speak up. Myself, I admit faults and I admit when wrong. You should learn from it. Not everyone is perfect, but many of us TRY and we DO participate and discuss things at length. Many of us also discuss many friendly things down below. Usually the same type of folks are also mysteriously missing from the friendly stuff, as they have no desire. But for YOU to try and lay blame at the feet of others, while some are admitting fault, and YOU somehow toss fire on it and act innocent...

well that's just laughable Pete. I DO like you and I DO try and nudge you towards writing more and expressing yourself, but apparently all you have left is judgmental one liners, and unable to participate. And then some would wonder why after thousands of one liner insults, and then degrading the board as a whole all the time - folks will still wonder why some on occasion give you some shit in return.

If this all makes you special somehow, and myself a demented conservative, so be it. I thought folks could more think for themselves, more control themselves, easily work with vB software and adjust things to their liking accordingly. But us small few of demented folks apparently are too much for the masses that think differently, and I use my magical Nazi powers to ban anyone that can handle themselves in a discussion. :rolleyes:

If you don't mind, I think I'll continue being the same person I am. Not perfect by any stretch, that's for damn sure! But I still plan on trying harder - and I do plan on trying much harder in avoiding fights and personal stuff. This isn't personal - I TRULY wanted you to ignore other shit and take the prompts and try to discuss things. But you have your preferences as well, just like others I suppose.

Just to be clear, when earlier I was talking about some people being intolerant. I wasn't talking about you OR the way this board is moderated. I don't think either are a problem. I meant there has always been a "mean girls" group on this board that chased off and harrassed people with opposing views, but they have largely fallen silent along with everyone else in the last few months.

As I told you before, maybe it's me. This board is FAR less active than it was when I first returned. I would hate to think that I had anything to do with killing a message board that people enjoyed posting on. My reputation for being an asshole aside, I would gladly leave this board to save it for you and others here whom I respect if that is the issue.

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 12:43 PM
Just to be clear, when earlier I was talking about some people being intolerant. I wasn't talking about you OR the way this board is moderated. I don't think either are a problem. I meant there has always been a "mean girls" group on this board that chased off and harrassed people with opposing views, but they have largely fallen silent along with everyone else in the last few months.

As I told you before, maybe it's me. This board is FAR less active than it was when I first returned. I would hate to think that I had anything to do with killing a message board that people enjoyed posting on. My reputation for being an asshole aside, I would gladly leave this board to save it for you and others here whom I respect if that is the issue.

We ALL have our biases and leanings. I was speaking about intolerance of others opinions and where they stand on a political issue - so long as someone expresses themselves semi-normally, then all cool, but some aren't very tolerant and quite quickly go sarcasm/personal. But no names even matter nor does even political leanings. We each just try to do better individually and that could make things better. If everyone stopped jumping on one another on page one, maybe others would reply. That's why I have always got angry over time when someone would be the first to respond to a thread, and it be of a personal nature, therefore sending the thread downhill from the get go. So - instead of allowing that to happen and further degrade, for example, I would just ignore it now and respond to only non-personal type posts.

But thus far I am willing to condense sub-forums when we get to it, and I can move all "humor" related pictures that hog threads to their own thread in the humor section. And then I can only do my own part in trying to remain just a little more respectful as much as I can, within reason. And utilizing the ignore function or simply bypassing what I don't like as if it weren't there. But the beast again, and the beast tells people that it's human nature to reply to folks who insult others and such. But I can only control myself. :)

CSM
10-31-2019, 01:11 PM

Prime example right here

STTAB
10-31-2019, 01:13 PM
We ALL have our biases and leanings. I was speaking about intolerance of others opinions and where they stand on a political issue - so long as someone expresses themselves semi-normally, then all cool, but some aren't very tolerant and quite quickly go sarcasm/personal. But no names even matter nor does even political leanings. We each just try to do better individually and that could make things better. If everyone stopped jumping on one another on page one, maybe others would reply. That's why I have always got angry over time when someone would be the first to respond to a thread, and it be of a personal nature, therefore sending the thread downhill from the get go. So - instead of allowing that to happen and further degrade, for example, I would just ignore it now and respond to only non-personal type posts.

But thus far I am willing to condense sub-forums when we get to it, and I can move all "humor" related pictures that hog threads to their own thread in the humor section. And then I can only do my own part in trying to remain just a little more respectful as much as I can, within reason. And utilizing the ignore function or simply bypassing what I don't like as if it weren't there. But the beast again, and the beast tells people that it's human nature to reply to folks who insult others and such. But I can only control myself. :)

Oh, you could definitely control more than yourself, you just choose not to. Myself, I think you should exercise admin power a little more often. Make things easier on yourself. But I'm an avowed authoritarian, so there's that LOL

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 01:25 PM
Oh, you could definitely control more than yourself, you just choose not to. Myself, I think you should exercise admin power a little more often. Make things easier on yourself. But I'm an avowed authoritarian, so there's that LOL

I would prefer not to be the decider of fights and personal arguments, and allow the members to handle as they see fit. Sure, if something is horrid for everyone, then we should step in and make right. But its usually feuds and such, and the feuds go zilch with the ignore feature. I would much rather folks ignore one another than ruin threads. Preferably just ignore by shaking head and not replying, and this way the ability to reply to decent things is still there.

But I think if everyone simply avoided the personal crap, made an effort at least, and tried not to take the bait in ruining threads, that it would get better, but far from perfect.

And it's not a one way rodeo. I know folks will ride pete as well. And the exact same thing applies, and pete should avoid the BS and respond to those wanting to discuss. Everyone has a choice. But what we mainly see on DP is what each individual wants, totaled up.

I don't think strict moderation is an answer. I think it's simply folks having a little more respect for one another, plain and simple.

STTAB
10-31-2019, 01:36 PM
I would prefer not to be the decider of fights and personal arguments, and allow the members to handle as they see fit. Sure, if something is horrid for everyone, then we should step in and make right. But its usually feuds and such, and the feuds go zilch with the ignore feature. I would much rather folks ignore one another than ruin threads. Preferably just ignore by shaking head and not replying, and this way the ability to reply to decent things is still there.

But I think if everyone simply avoided the personal crap, made an effort at least, and tried not to take the bait in ruining threads, that it would get better, but far from perfect.

And it's not a one way rodeo. I know folks will ride pete as well. And the exact same thing applies, and pete should avoid the BS and respond to those wanting to discuss. Everyone has a choice. But what we mainly see on DP is what each individual wants, totaled up.

I don't think strict moderation is an answer. I think it's simply folks having a little more respect for one another, plain and simple.

See, we're on different pages. I don't mean you should your admin powers to be the decider of fights. I mean you should use your admin powers to simply tell people to shut the fuck up when they whine to you , instead of letting it stress you out .

One liner insults don't ruin threads. Running feuds do.

Many posters here need to learn how to just have a damn argument in a thread and move on, letting it go.

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 01:49 PM
See, we're on different pages. I don't mean you should your admin powers to be the decider of fights. I mean you should use your admin powers to simply tell people to shut the fuck up when they whine to you , instead of letting it stress you out .

One liner insults don't ruin threads. Running feuds do.

Many posters here need to learn how to just have a damn argument in a thread and move on, letting it go.

I don't think any of it matters anyway. The last nature of the beast is US. And if folks refuse to try and help fix the things here they don't like, then I sure can't do it for them. But listen to the complaints from everyone, write them down. You'll find it 100% of it comes down to OTHER beasts of nature and how they post or respond. And we ALL have that in our control, but no one wants it better, or they would do the things I say. The PREFERENCE IS to fight with many. The preference is to troll by some. The preference to SEE everything is desired by some. But making what folks don't like go away, and posting like adults and trying harder - is NOT what the community wants apparently. I cry uncle.

STTAB
10-31-2019, 02:00 PM
I don't think any of it matters anyway. The last nature of the beast is US. And if folks refuse to try and help fix the things here they don't like, then I sure can't do it for them. But listen to the complaints from everyone, write them down. You'll find it 100% of it comes down to OTHER beasts of nature and how they post or respond. And we ALL have that in our control, but no one wants it better, or they would do the things I say. The PREFERENCE IS to fight with many. The preference is to troll by some. The preference to SEE everything is desired by some. But making what folks don't like go away, and posting like adults and trying harder - is NOT what the community wants apparently. I cry uncle.

I definitely am a rabble rouser on every message board I get on LOL I admit it , I enjoy pointing out how stupid someone is until the point that they get pissed off LOL I can't help it.

Kathianne
10-31-2019, 02:09 PM

I may not seem like it, but am pretty sensitive. When several posters tell me that what I post and how is more than annoying, I listen. Thus, I may post a story, but will refrain from annoying others. I'll hang more below the top.

STTAB
10-31-2019, 02:25 PM
I may not seem like it, but am pretty sensitive. When several posters tell me that what I post and how is more than annoying, I listen. Thus, I may post a story, but will refrain from annoying others. I'll hang more below the top.

Fuck that. just like I said in the other thread. Post your opinions, base them on facts, and who gives a flying fuck whether that annoys other posters or not. Most of them are annoying little trolls anyway.

We need MORE posts from Kath, not less. And I'll defend that opinion against any motherfucker who wants to say different on here.

Kathianne
10-31-2019, 02:30 PM
Fuck that. just like I said in the other thread. Post your opinions, base them on facts, and who gives a flying fuck whether that annoys other posters or not. Most of them are annoying little trolls anyway.

We need MORE posts from Kath, not less. And I'll defend that opinion against any motherfucker who wants to say different on here.
Thanks, though you made a public point to say that you were tired of how and annoyed with how I'd been posting, you weren't alone. I have feelings too.

icansayit
10-31-2019, 02:30 PM

I came here thinking we would all have something in common. Then, someone complains about my use of memes, since I have experienced being Ignored, generally when I attempt new posts, that regularly are ignored as well.

So, despite a troll, calling me a troll. If someone doesn't like what I post, or my opinions. I DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS!

Go somewhere else, or keep ignoring me. Troll on, and look in a mirror once in a while. Otherwise, as several members here have told me "STFU".

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 02:33 PM

Like I said, I know everyone is different. If someone doesn't like my postings or me in general or whatever - place me on ignore, I'll ensure that everyone here has that ability, but of course the rules will still remain, however few they are. But I am NOT going to stop posting and having fun, because one or 2 folks may not like me. But I respect that as your choice. But understand that if you start a thread, of course folks will respond and/or respond directly to you as the thread starter. So may want to avoid even starting them, rather than post that you ain't participating. I'm not asking you to do so, just a recommendation. It confused me, but understand if that's your choice. That's what I have been pointing out, we all have choices. And if you feel it's best to not discuss politics, then that's your choice to be respected.

STTAB
10-31-2019, 02:37 PM
Thanks, though you made a public point to say that you were tired of how and annoyed with how I'd been posting, you weren't alone. I have feelings too.

I don't see where you get that from Kath, how many times in the last let's say 3 weeks have I PUBLICLY defended you as being one of the better posters on this board? I can post the links if you'd like.

jimnyc
10-31-2019, 02:42 PM
I came here thinking we would all have something in common. Then, someone complains about my use of memes, since I have experienced being Ignored, generally when I attempt new posts, that regularly are ignored as well.

So, despite a troll, calling me a troll. If someone doesn't like what I post, or my opinions. I DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS!

Go somewhere else, or keep ignoring me. Troll on, and look in a mirror once in a while. Otherwise, as several members here have told me "STFU".

Memes don't bother me, and if they do, scrolling on by is a piece of cake. I certainly do not think you are a troll. A stubborn old man set in his ways? Yeps!! But that's what I like and respect about you, as a lifetime sailor set in his ways.

All I am asking people to do is have a little more respect with one another. And if folks see something they feel is the opposite, then ignore it and move on. Wouldn't hurt us all to have a little less negativity floating around.

As for the memes, like I said, they don't bother me. But perhaps SOMETIMES there is a better place than others. And I'm talking about endless memes showing up in a discussion, not one here and there. And I'm not pointing out anyone or anything, have no need to, as it doesn't bother me as stated. BUT, if the meme posting DOES annoy more than a few members, then maybe it makes sense to have an area for everyone to enjoy them. As lets face it, we all post one or 2 here and there.

I don't ignore your posts, not unless it's not interesting. :)

And NO ONE here should be telling ANYONE else here what they should and shouldn't do, that's the negativity as pointed out, and we're seeing that folks are insulted, including yourself. I don't like to see that. I am part of the problem at times, but never mean any harm by it, but don't want folks to feel such a way. Like I said in another thread, I like all of you guys here, and all for different reasons. So a little respect for our differences is a little in order, a little more tolerance and a little more ignoring of others and what we don't like. The board as a whole will benefit from it, and hopefully some of the things folks don't like will diminish. Even if it doesn't entirely go away, which it won't, anything better is better.

Kathianne
10-31-2019, 02:47 PM
Like I said, I know everyone is different. If someone doesn't like my postings or me in general or whatever - place me on ignore, I'll ensure that everyone here has that ability, but of course the rules will still remain, however few they are. But I am NOT going to stop posting and having fun, because one or 2 folks may not like me. But I respect that as your choice. But understand that if you start a thread, of course folks will respond and/or respond directly to you as the thread starter. So may want to avoid even starting them, rather than post that you ain't participating. I'm not asking you to do so, just a recommendation. It confused me, but understand if that's your choice. That's what I have been pointing out, we all have choices. And if you feel it's best to not discuss politics, then that's your choice to be respected.

I find some interesting things from reading. I post what I'm interested in and have been participating for a long time. We all knew, at least we thought we did, that this last national election would change things. It did. What used to be fine, isn't anymore.

So, I will not bother with sarcasm or posting things that rile others. I will post things I think others may be interested in, read and see where they go with it if they also find it of interest.

It'll be my kinder, gentler style. ;)

STTAB
10-31-2019, 02:49 PM

I don't have you on ignore. I am not a pussy so I don't use that feature.

As for memes I enjoy them from time to tome. What I don't enjoy is a thread being bombarded with meme after meme with that have nothing to do with the topic. How many different topics have you leapt into and posted a meme that was basically "Democrats are poopy heads haha" without any on topic comment from you? The answer is a lot, and that KILLS threads man.

There are times when we have 3 members online and 20 visitors lurking. Do you think when they see a thread about something and the first response is a meme calling Democrats poopy heads followed by 3 other posters "haha man you're right , fuck Democrats they are all dumb fucks" in thread after thread after thread is likely to encourage new membership? It isn't , in fact it stops CURRENT members from posting in the thread, let new members.

Maybe YOU want an echo chamber where it's just 4 posters posting dumb memes and stifling conversations , but the rest of us don't and more importantly unless and until Jim tells me "stop telling those dumbasses that they are dumbasses" I'm not going to stop. I merely offered MY suggestion in a thread discussing ways to liven up the board.

I've no problems whatsoever with your posts that are more than just a dumb meme.

CSM
10-31-2019, 02:49 PM
I find some interesting things from reading. I post what I'm interested in and have been participating for a long time. We all knew, at least we thought we did, that this last national election would change things. It did. What used to be fine, isn't anymore.

So, I will not bother with sarcasm or posting things that rile others. I will post things I think others may be interested in, read and see where they go with it if they also find it of interest.

yep....me too....

STTAB
10-31-2019, 02:51 PM

I myself find snarky Kathy hilarious. Just being honest.

Well, except when she disagrees with me, and then that bitch pisses me off. :coffee:

icansayit
10-31-2019, 03:13 PM
I don't have you on ignore. I am not a pussy so I don't use that feature.

As for memes I enjoy them from time to tome. What I don't enjoy is a thread being bombarded with meme after meme with that have nothing to do with the topic. How many different topics have you leapt into and posted a meme that was basically "Democrats are poopy heads haha" without any on topic comment from you? The answer is a lot, and that KILLS threads man.

There are times when we have 3 members online and 20 visitors lurking. Do you think when they see a thread about something and the first response is a meme calling Democrats poopy heads followed by 3 other posters "haha man you're right , fuck Democrats they are all dumb fucks" in thread after thread after thread is likely to encourage new membership? It isn't , in fact it stops CURRENT members from posting in the thread, let new members.

Maybe YOU want an echo chamber where it's just 4 posters posting dumb memes and stifling conversations , but the rest of us don't and more importantly unless and until Jim tells me "stop telling those dumbasses that they are dumbasses" I'm not going to stop. I merely offered MY suggestion in a thread discussing ways to liven up the board.

I've no problems whatsoever with your posts that are more than just a dumb meme.

I don't care whether you have no problem or not. You are not running this site. As for what others may think. I don't care about that either. If I want to post something that makes somebody lighten-up, or laugh. That's my perogative to do so. Because YOU don't like something, sounds like you have the problem, not me. If I am to blame because you think people are going somewhere else. I don't care about that either. As for DEBATES here. I have NEVER seen a TRUE debate take place here since I joined. In fact. It's not really possible to do here.
As for stopping current members from posting. Check out SOME OF YOUR RESPONSES to them, or me. Calling names because you feel superior to others is exactly like the HYPOCRITE Leftists we all despise.

NightTrain
10-31-2019, 03:26 PM
FWIW, I'm firmly against removing sub forums. It forces some posts to get dumped into a general forum, where they're quickly lost. It was a sad day the last time a bunch of those were nuked.

Visitors can't see attached photos. If they want to see it, they have to log in to the board with their account.

I really have no problem with memes. Possibly a quick chuckle if I find it clever as I scroll by, it takes a whopping 1.5 seconds to digest it and scroll past. And if I got a chuckle, so much the better.

As far as participation goes, I'm of the opinion that the more rules there are, the more it stifles. That's not to say that everything should be allowed, because there's decency lines that people cross that make it an unpleasant experience if left unchecked, even though most of us believe in free speech.

A very large factor is that I think there's a lot of burnout going with the national level circus that's been raging in Washington. We've witnessed some breathtaking maneuvers that wouldn't have even been contemplated 15 years ago and there's been no letup. All of us can weather the occasional shenanigan but it's been fury pitch since Jan 2017.

And it appears to be devolving.

Anyway, I don't know what the answer is. I do think things will be fine in the long run.

Elessar
10-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Here's what I think Jim on that score. I don't think "ignore" should be an option. I think it kills potential good conversations. I'll use Tyr here as an example and hope he doesnt mine. I know he has me on ignore. Whatever, anyway every occasionally he posts something that makes me think "hmmm" and I'd like to offer a response and that would further a particular thread but why bother since he has me on ignore? If it were me I'd take everyone off ignore and just ruthlessly enforce thread bans and tell whiners that's gonna have to be good enuff. I think that would create some conversation. And I also realize it would probably result in some thread bans for me LOL

I refuse to use the Ignore feature. It is just a way to show you were defeated.
You always have the option to back out of a thread without saying (typing) a word.

Gunny
10-31-2019, 07:36 PM

I can only do the best of what "I" can do, and plan on continuing to try and do that.I hear you on the family thing. Deal is with me, it's feast or famine. And of course that's assuming whether or not I babysit the grandpup was an option. When I didn't, I could post all day which usually meant watching dust grow on my screen. I do babysit, and it's just pure chaos where I'm juggling everything I need to do for myself. When I get on lately I involved myself in a couple of conversations where I considered my part less than stellar, or even up to minimal par for me simply because I was rushing, giving half-answers. Not an excuse, just telling it how it is.

The babysitting hours don't kill me. It's all the crap the Brady Bunch -- probably better-defined as the Bundy's) has going that sticks me with kids.

Anyway, I give it my best shot. I know I used to try and post at least 5 new threads a day. That's not going to happen again anytime this year :laugh: (The munchkin goes to school next year or so I am told).

LongTermGuy
10-31-2019, 08:19 PM
FWIW, I'm firmly against removing sub forums. It forces some posts to get dumped into a general forum, where they're quickly lost. It was a sad day the last time a bunch of those were nuked.

Visitors can't see attached photos. If they want to see it, they have to log in to the board with their account.

I really have no problem with memes. Possibly a quick chuckle if I find it clever as I scroll by, it takes a whopping 1.5 seconds to digest it and scroll past. And if I got a chuckle, so much the better.

As far as participation goes, I'm of the opinion that the more rules there are, the more it stifles. That's not to say that everything should be allowed, because there's decency lines that people cross that make it an unpleasant experience if left unchecked, even though most of us believe in free speech.

A very large factor is that I think there's a lot of burnout going with the national level circus that's been raging in Washington. We've witnessed some breathtaking maneuvers that wouldn't have even been contemplated 15 years ago and there's been no letup. All of us can weather the occasional shenanigan but it's been fury pitch since Jan 2017.

And it appears to be devolving.

Anyway, I don't know what the answer is. I do think things will be fine in the long run.

Good post ! ^^^^

Also....I Love meme`s (they speak for themselves)!! ...as long as you or jimmy dont mind...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker%2FlwJ01F4HSoiw7lqxen5a_denzel.gif
https://66.media.tumblr.com/82097ec43bddbcb901379aedcfe76d91/tumblr_ozzoo8Opxe1wg3p0ao1_500.gif

Most here know and understand whats going on..easy fix...IMO!!
https://media.giphy.com/media/kOA5F569qO4RG/200.gif

jimnyc
11-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of posts waiting for me since yesterday. Now to go through, and hope folks are remaining positive!!

And we have a few online with about 579 visitors right now. Nope, not popular, just another bot running rampant. I blocked some IP subnets and they should now be disappearing.

SassyLady
11-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Why I don't post as much.

I come here to read what people have to say about issues. I don't come here to read the personal put downs. It just distracts from the subject. I don't like trying to stay on subject when I have to read through personal attacks.

jimnyc
11-01-2019, 01:56 PM
I refuse to use the Ignore feature. It is just a way to show you were defeated.
You always have the option to back out of a thread without saying (typing) a word.

If someone has the ability to see the posts from someone, and simply walk away when it's known garbage, then that's as good as the ignore button to me. I have more respect for those that ignore, in any manner, and walk away, opposed to coming here solely to fight. I think we have truly got them down very very much, but can still build up the positive and have less negativity ruining threads here.

jimnyc
11-01-2019, 01:59 PM

I come here to read what people have to say about issues. I don't come here to read the personal put downs. It just distracts from the subject. I don't like trying to stay on subject when I have to read through personal attacks.

I think it's the common theme of the complaints - folks don't want to be in threads littered with the crappy fights and personal put down crap. I know I had my part to play in it. I know I'm sticking to fixing my part. We ain't bringing folks back by suddenly trying to be more respectful here, but it can't hurt for those already here to see more discussion and less personal stuff.

STTAB
11-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Sometimes a person is just begging to be told how stupid they are.

jimnyc
11-01-2019, 02:25 PM

C'mon, understood, believe me! And I am one that enjoys at time slapping around someone I think is trolling or truly being/playing dumb or delusional.

But listen, please, listen to what all the other members here are stating, some that don't post very often - and they are making it crystal clear to us what one of the major issues is. Instead of status quo, we should heed that advice and capitalize on it. There's a time and place for the former, called the cage, but we should all work together in listening to what folks are saying, and make an effort to improve.

STTAB
11-01-2019, 02:27 PM
C'mon, understood, believe me! And I am one that enjoys at time slapping around someone I think is trolling or truly being/playing dumb or delusional.

But listen, please, listen to what all the other members here are stating, some that don't post very often - and they are making it crystal clear to us what one of the major issues is. Instead of status quo, we should heed that advice and capitalize on it. There's a time and place for the former, called the cage, but we should all work together in listening to what folks are saying, and make an effort to improve.

In point of the matter, YOU have insulted someone a few times since the last time I insulted anyone. I'm not saying that to say anything about you, but to rather illustrate that I HAVE been trying to cut down on the insults up stairs.

jimnyc
11-01-2019, 02:35 PM
In point of the matter, YOU have insulted someone a few times since the last time I insulted anyone. I'm not saying that to say anything about you, but to rather illustrate that I HAVE been trying to cut down on the insults up stairs.

Yes, Pete, once, as I thought he deserved it. And I also, and clearly, admitted my faults throughout, and have vowed throughout to try and be more respectful and ignore the BS. I simply responded to you based on your comment written. I've not stated that I think you're a professional insulter. Just replying to a comment and nothing more.

hjmick
11-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Not to interrupt all the finger pointing, but...

How do we go about getting some new blood in here?

I know, I don't post much. So some may be saying to themselves, "Don't worry about new blood, why don't you start posting more, asshole?" And you wouldn't be wrong, I should make more of an effort... I have my reasons for not having done so... but I digress...

SassyLady
11-01-2019, 03:29 PM

And some people get off on being the one pointing it out. Personally, I'd rather focus on the topic than the person .. no matter how stupid.

Taking the higher ground would be pointing out WHAT is correct than WHO is wrong.

And, it takes more thought and intellect to correct the facts than to point out someone's stupidity.

Gunny
11-01-2019, 08:07 PM

I agree with STTAB. I don't really disagree with the others with the usual exceptions. Such as the one complaining about quality of posts and personal attacks when that person believes "it" is smart enough to zing barbs no one else has the intellect to comprehend, have no problem with their own one-liners, and/or purposefully try to elicit a bad response just by knowing which members of the audience are going to react in what manner. And one can be the politest, most intelligent/knowledgeable person in the World and still do all of the above.

Default is if you are begging me to hammer you in the head, you're usually going to get your wish. Currently, I have to weigh my responses based on whether or not I think I have a chance in a running gun battle on the board when I never know when I'll be able to get back on.

Personally, I liked it back when I first joined my first board and there was one idiot flamer on a fairly large, international, 97% left wing board. There were about 5 of us token conservatives :laugh: But everyone was polite and generally stuck to the issue and/or wherever it led. Little bit of smartass here and there. Now define smartass. It was about the issues.

Even when I first joined USMB if you wanted an honest debate without the butt hurt, off the rails crap, Missileman was always good for an exercise in wordsmithing a game :)

DP is more like a country bar on Friday night :laugh:

CSM
11-02-2019, 05:47 AM
I agree with STTAB. I don't really disagree with the others with the usual exceptions. Such as the one complaining about quality of posts and personal attacks when that person believes "it" is smart enough to zing barbs no one else has the intellect to comprehend, have no problem with their own one-liners, and/or purposefully try to elicit a bad response just by knowing which members of the audience are going to react in what manner. And one can be the politest, most intelligent/knowledgeable person in the World and still do all of the above.

Default is if you are begging me to hammer you in the head, you're usually going to get your wish. Currently, I have to weigh my responses based on whether or not I think I have a chance in a running gun battle on the board when I never know when I'll be able to get back on.

Personally, I liked it back when I first joined my first board and there was one idiot flamer on a fairly large, international, 97% left wing board. There were about 5 of us token conservatives :laugh: But everyone was polite and generally stuck to the issue and/or wherever it led. Little bit of smartass here and there. Now define smartass. It was about the issues.

Even when I first joined USMB if you wanted an honest debate without the butt hurt, off the rails crap, Missileman was always good for an exercise in wordsmithing a game :)

DP is more like a country bar on Friday night :laugh:

It reminds me more of a biker bar.... bunch of the usual gang hanging out talking trash.... new person comes in.... one or two of the old gang starts crap with the new guy.... new guy leaves.... old gang wonders why there's no new blood to hang out with....

Gunny
11-02-2019, 09:00 AM
It reminds me more of a biker bar.... bunch of the usual gang hanging out talking trash.... new person comes in.... one or two of the old gang starts crap with the new guy.... new guy leaves.... old gang wonders why there's no new blood to hang out with....Truth be told, there isn't a lot of difference between a biker bar and a country bar, Sergeant Major. I worked in the former for a couple of years pre-Marine Corps, and basically spent my weekends living in the latter for a few years. The dynamic is basically the say. Attire isn't even as far off anymore as it was back in the day.

I completely agree with your assessment. And DON'T let that FNG DARE sit in one of the regulars' spots they've inhabited since Christ was a Corporal :laugh:

STTAB
11-04-2019, 11:04 AM
It reminds me more of a biker bar.... bunch of the usual gang hanging out talking trash.... new person comes in.... one or two of the old gang starts crap with the new guy.... new guy leaves.... old gang wonders why there's no new blood to hang out with....

Spot on.

A few tried to do that with me and left in a snit when I refused to leave and Jimmy wouldn't ban me. Or they have placed me on pussy ignore which also totally ruins the flow of conversations.

Truth is message boards attract bullies and bullies who are territorial and get mad when anyone with an opposing view posts. Right now we're having a similar issue on my Hog board, the people who want our head football coach fired are attempting to silence anyone who disagrees. I've been CC'd on at least 25 reports in just the last 24 hours that are completely bogus and boil down to "we want this poster banned because we disagree with them"

This is the reason I left the board the first time. The bullies were just constantly whining about my posting and it got tedious. So I left, and I'm a stubborn motherfucker , so imagine how a new poster who isn't a very stubborn must feel when they get ganged up on, or watch another in this case liberal constantly being ganged up on. Hell, not even that, how many times in the last 2 weeks has someone on this board called Kath a liberal because she thinks Trump is a dick LOL , doesn't matter that her political stances are actually pretty conservative.

Abbey Marie
11-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Well, I go to Sicily for 11 days, and this happens?

My suggestion for anyone feeling edgy: less espresso, more wine. :cool::cool:

I agree with STTAB’s point that a gang-up will scare off new members faster than anything.
And personal insults are ridiculous. But certainly not as bad here as most sites. In fact, for a political board, I think we are almost exemplary.

Someone (CSM?) posited that folks are burned out on politics now. I am. But it’s cyclical and I know I will be interested again at some point. So, I tend to post more in the more social areas.

What really bugs me is when someone bothers to post more socially, and others feel they have to stay aloof, if not angry, based on a difference in their politics. Come on, grow the hell up and have human discourse. It’s really not that hard. Check your ego at the login.

It’s not fun to come back to 4 pages of reasons why we are dying here. Jim has worked too hard for many years to have this happen. Kathianne and STTAB have been posting lots and I think kept keeping things lively. I’m not a big thread starter, but I do reply. All I can say is, post more, and stop personally insulting more liberal members, current and future.
We are Debate Policy, not an echo chamber.

STTAB
11-04-2019, 12:34 PM

I agree with STTAB’s point that a gang-up will scare off new members faster than anything.
And personal insults are ridiculous. But certainly not as bad here as most sites. In fact, for a political board, I think we are almost exemplary.

Someone (CSM?) posited that folks are burned out on politics now. I am. But it’s cyclical and I know I will be interested again at some point. So, I tend to post more in the more social areas.

What really bugs me is when someone bothers to post more socially, and others feel they have to stay aloof, if not angry, based on a difference in their politics. Come on, grow the hell up and have human discourse. It’s really not that hard. Check your ego at the login.

It’s not fun to come back to 4 pages of reasons why we are dying here. Jim has worked too hard for many years to have this happen. Kathianne and STTAB have been posting lots and I think kept keeping things lively. I’m not a big thread starter, but I do reply. All I can say is, post more, and stop personally insulting more liberal members, current and future.

I'm not a big thread starter either. Just not really my thing on any board I'm on. I'm happy to just comment on existing topics.a

BTW welcome back, we missed you. Hope you had a great vacation.

Abbey Marie
11-04-2019, 12:42 PM
I'm not a big thread starter either. Just not really my thing on any board I'm on. I'm happy to just comment on existing topics.a

BTW welcome back, we missed you. Hope you had a great vacation.

Thank you!

It was beautiful and touching and absolutely exhausting. But I will never do a group tour again. We are more the independent, take our time, type of travelers, and since the heart attack, I’m lousy at walking fast/uphill for long periods.

I’m going to post later some pics, and a little story about a very emotional experience.

STTAB
11-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Did anyone else notice that Pete referred to himself as a moderate earlier in the thread? Wow

Kathianne
11-04-2019, 02:10 PM

Thanks. After my last 'vaca' from heavy posting here, I tried to step it up a bit when it slowed way down. After really becoming comfortable again, several felt compelled to put me back in my place. Thus, even with the slowing down, not much I feel comfortable with now. So, an occasional comment outside of bottom of board. I'll give some thread starts, but not going to compete with anyone on that.

Kathianne
11-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Now sincerely, Abbey, glad you had a good trip. The USA is glad you're back!

Gunny
11-04-2019, 10:04 PM

BTW welcome back, we missed you. Hope you had a great vacation.I really never had an issue with starting threads. It IS however, tedious and time-consuming. I also noted that Jimbob and I rarely used the same source. Kathianne pulls hers out of a hat so there's no telling where it's coming from :laugh:

Then there is THIS: I spend all day with a two years old. Politics get me riled up; especially, the behavior on BOTH sides. One's bullies from Hell fascist and the other trembling at the thought the finger doesn't get pointed at "me". Not real cool being testy with the toddler because the elected toddlers can't behave.

As far as starting the threads goes, I just go to several different sites that aren't drooling left wing (except BBC) and pick a top story or two from each that I might find interesting or actually know something about.

STTAB
11-05-2019, 09:04 AM
I really never had an issue with starting threads. It IS however, tedious and time-consuming. I also noted that Jimbob and I rarely used the same source. Kathianne pulls hers out of a hat so there's no telling where it's coming from :laugh:

Then there is THIS: I spend all day with a two years old. Politics get me riled up; especially, the behavior on BOTH sides. One's bullies from Hell fascist and the other trembling at the thought the finger doesn't get pointed at "me". Not real cool being testy with the toddler because the elected toddlers can't behave.

As far as starting the threads goes, I just go to several different sites that aren't drooling left wing (except BBC) and pick a top story or two from each that I might find interesting or actually know something about.

On occasion I'll start a thread here, and when I do it's usually on some topic I found while trolling USMB , by the way they still tremble at the thought of STTAB posting there LOL, and wanted to have a somewhat serious discussion about

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-05-2019, 10:00 AM
The board that is. Seems when I am away, and not getting threads started, that things slowly dwindle, and it's dying I'm afraid. Folks not starting threads and others never do. Is what it is. I suppose various reasoning doesn't really even matter at this point. The point is, the board is going south for lack of participation. And like I told others, I'm ok with that. Between my old board and this one it was a straight run from 2003-2019 now. Not getting new members, folks don't want to start threads and many visit and don't post at all. And that's fine, we all tire for various reasons over time. But not looking good and I can't do things by myself. But if we close up shop, I'll be ok with that. I would just hope that many of us trade info and where they apparently prefer to hang and post at then!

I just checked here at this site, the number of threads started by me. It shows here that I have 76 pages-- with 25 threads per page.
That is 76 x 25= that is a total of 1, 900 threads started by me since I first joined this site.
Now that my participation here for various reasons has been so limited, I regret not being able to do as I once did.
Yet life must go on and hopefully some others step up to increase thread starts, instead of using this site to try to abuse others, IMHO.
In this dark world, he who dares speaks truth is adamantly and quite viciously punished, IMHO..
So be it....... my two cents worth.. -Tyr

Noir
11-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Really?
I don’t know what your experiences are like on other websites, but this is by far the worst forum I am on regarding User-to-User abuse.

Abbey Marie
11-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Really?
I don’t know what your experiences are like on other websites, but this is by far the worst forum I am on regarding User-to-User abuse.

Wow. Seriously, even just scrolling comments on YAHOO or FB will instantly yield vicious comments. Sassy and I were once on a board about a simple TV program that had tons more personal insults than here. And it wasn’t even a political board. And the last time I looked at USMB it was a free-for-all of bad stuff.

Drummond
11-05-2019, 11:05 AM
Really?

I couldn't disagree with you more !

I've been on British sites whose everyday postings make the Cage look like a tea party, if you disagree with commonly-held views. The Left wing ones are particularly bad ... they don't like contrary opinions, and can be VERY graphic in saying so. [... and if you don't take the 'hint', you're booted off ... I was on one Leftie one where they turfed me off after 6 weeks, & with a 'lifetime' ban; something I take pride in !!!].

There was one Right-wing American blog site I contributed to, before this one, that became infested with trolls ... it became a daily battle with them. One lady was baited in the worst way possible over the recent death of her father .. just because she'd been a staunch Right-wing blogger there.

So, NO, Noir. Your assessment of this forum, as I know for certain fact, is 100 percent wrong. This forum deserves to thrive. Compared with the vast majority, it is an excellent discussion environment for reasoned, and reasonable, bloggers.

Noir
11-05-2019, 11:41 AM
Wow. Seriously, even just scrolling comments on YAHOO or FB will instantly yield vicious comments. Sassy and I were once on a board about a simple TV program that had tons more personal insults than here. And it wasn’t even a political board. And the last time I looked at USMB it was a free-for-all of bad stuff.

Fair enough - as I posted your experiences on sites like Facebook are clearly very different to mine.

So, NO, Noir. Your assessment of this forum, as I know for certain fact, is 100 percent wrong.

No Drummond, my assessment is right, as is Abbeys, because the experience is reflective and personal. I’m glad for you that you find this forum so positive.

Abbey Marie
11-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Fair enough - as I posted your experiences on sites like Facebook are clearly very different to mine.

[/B]
No Drummond, my assessment is right, as is Abbeys, because the experience is reflective and personal. I’m glad for you that you find this forum so positive.

Do do you think it’s generally Euro vs American sites?

STTAB
11-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Really?

LULZ , you must not visit very many other sites bro.

Go to USMB for ten minutes you'll come back here talking about genteel the place is.

Noir
11-05-2019, 11:54 AM

I don’t think so.

Like I have no idea how a forum about a TV show would become so toxic, American, European or otherwise.

and like isn’t Facebook a collection of people you know somewhat personally? and they’re filling your feed with vulgarity greater than this forum??

Drummond
11-05-2019, 12:01 PM

This is characteristically tiresome.

Your wording, was .....

Though you talked of 'your experiences', when giving your view, you failed to say that it was specifically, subjectively, based purely on one person's judgment. You didn't say, for example, 'I have found this to be by far ....'. You gave your statement as though it was 100% objective 'fact'.

No doubt you did mean to talk only about your subjective view, though.

Still ... it must be hard to compare your experiences with other, Right wingers, here. You'd post as a Leftie, and so you'd get an easy ride from Leftie sites (.. which would take care of the worst abusive sites, right there). Right wing sites are more tolerant of opposing viewpoints; which figures, doesn't it, when you consider that Right wing outlooks aren't uniformly tied to a form of script. Individualism lends itself to a greater tolerance of individually held viewpoints, because the right to hold them is a matter requiring the proper respect.

No. If an argument, viewpoint, is inferior and deserving of opposition, then the merits of each can be weighed in proper discussion. Unfortunately, the Left - frequently - cannot stand such sifting. The Left's proponents then lapse into denigrations & the like, to substitute for their failures.

It's the way of things.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Really?

See, now this is extremely naive, or outright lying.

Please post perhaps about 3-5 political discussion sites, our size or larger, that is more exemplary than we are. By NO MEANS am I saying we are somehow rid of all of the comes with the territory, but we are in the norm if not better than all in that department. Now, I could list about the 15 larger sites I know of doing the same/similar, and none are even remotely nicer, or better or less volatile or any which way you slice it. You say the "worst", I say show us the particular sites that you ARE a member of that is better? Not much to ask of at all.

Now, I think FB is totally different, as folks tend to often be friends with like minded friends and have no alternative but to basically be their own moderators.

But I'm talking regular 'ol political sites that allow for all discussion and debates and what not. I am a member of likely all of them. I know the ins and outs of their workings. Some are "ran" mostly by liberals, and some are ran by conservatives. But first off, none seem to be free of insults, fighting, abuse or whatever you want to call it. I know of ONE place that heavily moderates to ensure literally zero fights, as they don't even allow them. The site gets now about 2 posts per month due to the amount of over-moderation they did. EVERY site I know of is somewhat chaotic, and somewhat just like here, only larger, therefore MORE fights and animosity. But hell, if we are the WORST, I'd like to know 3-5 of them that are better, maybe MORE if we are the worst! I might find a new gem out there to work with or post at. But doing this for SO long, and not stating otherwise cause this is my site - the chaos and fighting and insults and sarcasm and memes - are at ALL of them and will be found at ALL of them. Unless it's not truly a discussion or debate site of course.

But I welcome the mention of the many sites that are better, if you don't mind of course.

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 12:04 PM
I don’t think so.

Like I have no idea how a forum about a TV show would become so toxic, American, European or otherwise.

and like isn’t Facebook a collection of people you know somewhat personally? and they’re filling your feed with vulgarity greater than this forum??

I've not had problems on FB either. My own place is only friends and family, then some access by those in my closed groups. My closed groups I'm very, very careful about. Cooking, political issues-not partisan sites, and teaching related. That's it.

The 'issues' sites do not get personal, though sometimes opinionated, which I like. There's some from all perspectives, that were drawn together over interest in certain topics. Right now, I'm very interested in long-term effects from Hong Kong, which I've been interested in since the 80's. There's quite a few with the same interest, though the political perspectives range from far right to far left. Sometimes the comments can get a bit snarky, but it's not the sort of place where large issues are going to open up fully, as everyone is pretty content to stay with the main topic, which brought them there in the first place.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 12:12 PM
One thing I will say, and all folks need do is look around and search if they don't believe me.

But those who tend to complain the most - are those that never start discussion or threads, or if, extremely rarely, and often done to insult. Such folks usually never wander down bottom to even attempt to be friendly, and ten wonder why they are an outsider and not liked much. Sometimes other folks ONLY complain, ONLY play games or gotchas and stuff.

So I think folks need to also pay attention to detail when there are complaints, and take them with a grain of salt. Sometimes they are clueless and are simply guessing, out of emotion or anger. (not the post prior to this). We are a VERY small board, so finding things out and/or investigating isn't too difficult. For a made up example; if someone says we moderate too much and move threads of folks in an unequal manner - well, it's very easy to find out what's been moved and why. If someone leaves the board, 99 different reasons will float around as to why, and shit gets invented in heads. I sometimes don't clarify as sometimes it's no one else's business.

I like to have threads like this where things can get aired out. I look for common denominators and see what affects the most people here. Also not hard, again thanks to small size. Everyone sees it, everyone can research it and then everyone sees what we act on or don't.

And also, many get from the site what you give into it, again going back to participation. So if someone pops in sparingly, or posts sparingly, and 99% of the posts are gotcha posts and trolling and sarcasm - those folks tend to eventually not be happy with the receptions they receive around here. It's not rocket science, but you would think so!

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Noir. Your assessment of this forum, as I know for certain fact, is 100 percent wrong. This forum deserves to thrive. Compared with the vast majority, it is an excellent discussion environment for reasoned, and reasonable, bloggers.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions here, all good.

But I think it highlights the differences between the 2 of you, coming from similar places. You seem to often engage with us, talk with us, not down to us. You talk in more than politics, letting us a little into your life, which helps, of course it does. Sharing holidays and stories and sometimes just some fun stuff.

But if you had come here, pretty much spoke down to us quite often, and could't care less about being a participant and never went down below to chat about anything - I think your reception here would likely be different, to an extent.

I think it goes with anywhere we go in life, it's often what you make of it.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Sad thing is, you can damn get arrested if you use foul language in the streets. Troll on a site and some would push for the same. I've seen many push for and think fines and such for insults would be a great way to go.

Sorry, not for me, I appreciate freedoms, even with responsibilities attached. The fact that some would go for that crap is scary.

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 12:28 PM
One thing I will say, and all folks need do is look around and search if they don't believe me.

But those who tend to complain the most - are those that never start discussion or threads, or if, extremely rarely, and often done to insult. Such folks usually never wander down bottom to even attempt to be friendly, and ten wonder why they are an outsider and not liked much. Sometimes other folks ONLY complain, ONLY play games or gotchas and stuff.

So I think folks need to also pay attention to detail when there are complaints, and take them with a grain of salt. Sometimes they are clueless and are simply guessing, out of emotion or anger. (not the post prior to this). We are a VERY small board, so finding things out and/or investigating isn't too difficult. For a made up example; if someone says we moderate too much and move threads of folks in an unequal manner - well, it's very easy to find out what's been moved and why. If someone leaves the board, 99 different reasons will float around as to why, and shit gets invented in heads. I sometimes don't clarify as sometimes it's no one else's business.

I like to have threads like this where things can get aired out. I look for common denominators and see what affects the most people here. Also not hard, again thanks to small size. Everyone sees it, everyone can research it and then everyone sees what we act on or don't.

And also, many get from the site what you give into it, again going back to participation. So if someone pops in sparingly, or posts sparingly, and 99% of the posts are gotcha posts and trolling and sarcasm - those folks tend to eventually not be happy with the receptions they receive around here. It's not rocket science, but you would think so!

I agree. I've been very active here and the other site from near inceptions. For most of the years have been a big thread starter and participant in others' threads. I do have opinions on almost anything. ;)

Over those years, many of us had grown to be friends-we had much in common. For the most part, those that interact a lot and participate a lot are or have been on staff. Some have come, some have gone, but those folks would always be greeted warmly if they chose to return.

For some reason, the last election shook many of us to our core. For most it was a 'finally' moment, for me it was something else. The very reason that the President was elected is also the reason that so many other things have been 'shook up.' Including how online folks seem to interact. Maybe it will calm, maybe it won't.

I guess one of the surprises to me is that so many, including some real life friends, are just appalled at how little tolerance there is from the media/opposing party regarding the President. Really? He came to 'shake things up, to the core.' That the groups and individuals most dependent on the core would react in defense, then offense should shock no one. I actually have no problem with wanting to clear the 'swamp' though there's precious little evidence that is going on or even possible.

What the election has done though is created schisms in what used to be the right. It also has exposed perhaps an even larger schism on the left. When all is said and done, maybe not in my lifetime, it may be shown to be a good thing. I have my doubts, but then I really didn't think that the President would have as many successes as he has, in spite of those arrayed against him. So it may be that time will show it was a wise choice.

What's happening here, for me, is mostly in reaction to those who so strongly disagree with my perspectives on the administration regarding the person and mostly foreign policy decisions, that they are finding the posts offensive. If it were one person, ok, that would be on them. It's not. So that is one me.

STTAB
11-05-2019, 12:30 PM

But I think it highlights the differences between the 2 of you, coming from similar places. You seem to often engage with us, talk with us, not down to us. You talk in more than politics, letting us a little into your life, which helps, of course it does. Sharing holidays and stories and sometimes just some fun stuff.

But if you had come here, pretty much spoke down to us quite often, and could't care less about being a participant and never went down below to chat about anything - I think your reception here would likely be different, to an extent.

All true, but that isn't to say that many on this board should look at themselves as well. Maybe if Noir were treated with less hostility in the politics threads he would feel more inclined to get to know posters in the "fun" threads.......... Same complaint that myself, Kath, and Gunny have also made in this , only thread. only from a different perspective. The bottom line is one sided forums bore people and won't attract new posters, in fact they won't retain current posters for long. There are many days where I get on and post about 1/3 of what I would normally post because what is the value in posting in a thread that is one person starting an OP with a point of view, three posters rah rahing that person , a couple of memes, one guy disagrees and is attacked for 2 days for disagreeing and then the thread dies in a hail of memes?

Most of the posters on here don't even like conservative posters who aren't "conservative enough" posting, let alone actual liberals. I can't exactly get worked up then when those liberals don't do more than take a few pot shots in threads.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Sad thing is, you can damn get arrested if you use foul language in the streets. Troll on a site and some would push for the same. I've seen many push for and think fines and such for insults would be a great way to go.

Sorry, not for me, I appreciate freedoms, even with responsibilities attached. The fact that some would go for that crap is scary.

Yep, years ago I was on some European sites, not anymore. I don't know they could get hate speech stuff attached to those over here, but one never knows.

STTAB
11-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Yep, years ago I was on some European sites, not anymore. I don't know they could get hate speech stuff attached to those over here, but one never knows.

it's coming here, don't kid yourselves. Up to a $250K fine in NYC for calling an illegal alien an illegal alien? LOL now quite obviously that law would be struck down as unconstional the first time someone is charged with it, and likely it won't even come to that instead NYC will do like they did recently and just scratch the law once it's challenged, but that's how it begins. Chip, chip, chip until one day you wake up and realize you no longer have free speech.

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 12:42 PM
it's coming here, don't kid yourselves. Up to a $250K fine in NYC for calling an illegal alien an illegal alien? LOL now quite obviously that law would be struck down as unconstional the first time someone is charged with it, and likely it won't even come to that instead NYC will do like they did recently and just scratch the law once it's challenged, but that's how it begins. Chip, chip, chip until one day you wake up and realize you no longer have free speech.

We'll see. I have faith thus far in the Constitution being upheld. I do think though that both extremes want the other silenced, so eventually the Constitution may be trashed.

Drummond
11-05-2019, 12:42 PM

Thanks for that, Jim.

My thinking is, though, that you might observe what you'd think is a person persuaded of a Left wing point of view 'talking down' to others failing to agree with them. But it isn't that simple. Left-wingers take on, as an article of absolute faith, that only their way can have value. I believe it's why 'progressive' is primarily a Left wing term ... because Lefties seriously believe that it's only through THEIR way, that you achieve real political 'progress'. Therefore, those not subscribing to Left-wing thought, by their reckoning, are of necessity holding 'inferior' thinking, therefore, cannot be regarded as fully equal.

In other words, its not personal.

Just ignorant. Ignorant of free thinking, and ignorant of the truth.

And that isn't meant as denigration, either, but as something perceived to be true.

I don't think in terms of agendas, groupings, propagandist adherence, or in stamping upon individuality. Of course not. I am not Left wing.

In that, I'm 100% the same as every Right-winger here. It's great -- actually, refreshing !! -- to be here among like minds.

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Thanks for that, Jim.

My thinking is, though, that you might observe what you'd think is a person persuaded of a Left wing point of view 'talking down' to others failing to agree with them. But it isn't that simple. Left-wingers take on, as an article of absolute faith, that only their way can have value. I believe it's why 'progressive' is primarily a Left wing term ... because Lefties seriously believe that it's only through THEIR way, that you achieve real political 'progress'. Therefore, those not subscribing to Left-wing thought, by their reckoning, are of necessity holding 'inferior' thinking, therefore, cannot be regarded as fully equal.

In other words, its not personal.

Just ignorant. Ignorant of free thinking, and ignorant of the truth.

And that isn't meant as denigration, either, but as something perceived to be true.

I don't think in terms of agendas, groupings, propagandist adherence, or in stamping upon individuality. Of course not. I am not Left wing.

In that, I'm 100% the same as every Right-winger here. It's great -- actually, refreshing !! -- to be here among like minds.

Truly I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Are you really, really implying that the right does not act the same now? There was a time that most opinions would be couched in, 'In this case,' or 'I understand what points you are trying to make about ____ and there may be some validity in that point, but when it comes to ____, I think...'

That's gone, that the other side may have a point or that some candidates are just not ok for various reasons. There is no grey, only my way or the wrong way. The wrongs must STFU!

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 12:47 PM
I agree. I've been very active here and the other site from near inceptions. For most of the years have been a big thread starter and participant in others' threads. I do have opinions on almost anything. ;)

Over those years, many of us had grown to be friends-we had much in common. For the most part, those that interact a lot and participate a lot are or have been on staff. Some have come, some have gone, but those folks would always be greeted warmly if they chose to return.

I'm cutting off the political portion. :) Everyone must decide for themselves how they want to approach such. Some like and others don't - the ignore feature. Some will PM and air things out to clarify bad moments, as sometimes things don't get written nicely, but also not meant to completely offend the other person, just meant to be some sarcasm for that thread. But everyone deciphers that kind of stuff differently. Which I why I plan on continuing about the politicians directly, but try and avoid it at all costs when going member to member, as everyone handles it differently. We then have ignore features, or one can do so manually with members if they choose, which admittedly isn't easy at times. Nonetheless, my point stands, that we all control our own destinies here and have a fair amount of control in what we see and control over who we choose to respond to.

The funny thing is the eval that we are the worst of the worst. Just somehow thinking that we can even be in the same league as something like usmb in the vulgarity department, outright filth, threats, horrid moderation.... only worse moderation I know of is at DU. Maybe lefties prefer such a place? JPP is nice, but far from free of insults, abuse and such. DemocracyFS, TPF, and TPF (yep, 2 of em!).... I don't want to site and line them up one by one, no need. But I'll await a list from others though! But the disease of hatred and disagreement within politics isn't quarantined here at DP. I always find the 'grass is greener' on the other side theory, well, funny.

STTAB
11-05-2019, 12:52 PM
We'll see. I have faith thus far in the Constitution being upheld. I do think though that both extremes want the other silenced, so eventually the Constitution may be trashed.

I don't think "both sides" want the other side silenced. I think a few conservative people who post on message boards want opposing views silenced on "THEIR" message boards, but by and large conservatives aren't out there targeting liberal speakers , trying to force them to cancel their speaking engagements. Conservatives are not forming "ANTIFA" groups that run around and beat people up for saying things they don't like. Republicans aren't passing laws making it illegal for liberals to express their opinions. I mean has any Republican to your knowledge , for example, said that churches that have opinions that that person disagrees with should lose their tax exempt status? No. Are conservative colleges charging liberal speakers 20X as much for security at an event as they charge liberal speakers? No

This is in fact why I am so adamantly opposed to THIS site having posters who oppose people who express unpopular opinions. That's not the conservative way, it's certainly not the Donald Trump way, and it is plain anti American. Leave that to the new Democrat Party.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 01:00 PM
All true, but that isn't to say that many on this board should look at themselves as well. Maybe if Noir were treated with less hostility in the politics threads he would feel more inclined to get to know posters in the "fun" threads.......... Same complaint that myself, Kath, and Gunny have also made in this , only thread. only from a different perspective. The bottom line is one sided forums bore people and won't attract new posters, in fact they won't retain current posters for long. There are many days where I get on and post about 1/3 of what I would normally post because what is the value in posting in a thread that is one person starting an OP with a point of view, three posters rah rahing that person , a couple of memes, one guy disagrees and is attacked for 2 days for disagreeing and then the thread dies in a hail of memes?

Most of the posters on here don't even like conservative posters who aren't "conservative enough" posting, let alone actual liberals. I can't exactly get worked up then when those liberals don't do more than take a few pot shots in threads.

Again, just my 2 cents.

IMO - like I said, you get what you give. If someone assimilates, if you will, and TRIES to be a part of the community, they get accepted. If someone doesn't want to do so, then that's their choice... but if they don't, and only complain about politics or the USA or any of the above - then it stands to reason that they won't be treated the same as your good friend from down the road.

But absolutely, all folks should always look to themselves as well. Hence why right from the get go I took my own responsibility, and made plans to do better going forward. Some folks simply couldn't care less about such things.

Each and every thing is a different case. So I handle things as they come. I may fight in a thread but always let it go when I hit a new thread. Some hold things forever.

A one sided forum is no good, agree 100% with you there. But folks like Gabby, for example, no longer posting here - she in NO WAY IN HELL is a poster girl for someone bailing due to bad treatment or whatever. EVERY last negative comment she received was MORE than earned. And she was NEVER banned or reprimanded for her horrid comments over the years. And she's not alone. I could name a few more who did similar. Or a few who literally "retired" from the board, if you will, instead of using the ignore button. In other worse, ban that person or I am gone, or let me disrupt every thread on the board.

Having opposing voices is great, we NEED that here and I have always promoted it. But that hardly means a lefty gets a free pass on horrid behavior either.

If someone doesn't like the way another posts, they can place them on ignore. If that's to be refused or as some would say the "cowards" way out, then so be it. But then don't complain about the little things of another member that one doesn't like. Not only from you, but pointing that out too. Constant memes only in a thread is not a good thing, you will not get a disagreement from me there. But a few are sometimes humorous. But they aren't and never were the reason for threads being killed. 99.99% of the time it's fighting/feuding/trolling. And again, if someone says another only posts memes - then place them on ignore. Claiming it's a cowards way out is utter stupidity. It's an ONLINE discussion forum. There is no cowardly involved in ignoring something. Being able to stand up to another and "fight" would never make someone brave either!

Noir
11-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Okay, this I take absolute exception to.

First, I see you’ve taken me off your ignore list, again, which is your prerogative, but personally I’d rather you stuck with one or the other rather than switching, or telling me otherwise.

Secondly, I believe I have posted about myself more than enough on this forum, from hobby’s, trips, buying houses and cars, and more to the point after conversations started on this forum I have had several Users become Facebook friends which is *only* personal in its information output. And you would know this Jim, given I have added you to my personal Facebook twice, and both times you later chose to remove yourself.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Let's wait for anyone to submit a list of sites, or even A site, and we can leave the domain out going forward, and simply look at what we are doing wrong. Do these better places have more rules? More moderation? Just nicer people in general? I don't know what makes people tick, but am ever curious of such a place!

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 01:09 PM
I'm cutting off the political portion. :) Everyone must decide for themselves how they want to approach such. Some like and others don't - the ignore feature. Some will PM and air things out to clarify bad moments, as sometimes things don't get written nicely, but also not meant to completely offend the other person, just meant to be some sarcasm for that thread. But everyone deciphers that kind of stuff differently. Which I why I plan on continuing about the politicians directly, but try and avoid it at all costs when going member to member, as everyone handles it differently. We then have ignore features, or one can do so manually with members if they choose, which admittedly isn't easy at times. Nonetheless, my point stands, that we all control our own destinies here and have a fair amount of control in what we see and control over who we choose to respond to.

The funny thing is the eval that we are the worst of the worst. Just somehow thinking that we can even be in the same league as something like usmb in the vulgarity department, outright filth, threats, horrid moderation.... only worse moderation I know of is at DU. Maybe lefties prefer such a place? JPP is nice, but far from free of insults, abuse and such. DemocracyFS, TPF, and TPF (yep, 2 of em!).... I don't want to site and line them up one by one, no need. But I'll await a list from others though! But the disease of hatred and disagreement within politics isn't quarantined here at DP. I always find the 'grass is greener' on the other side theory, well, funny.

If I left the impression I thought this site was as bad as some, I wasn't clear. I choose not to participate on most of the sites you list, because they are so poorly managed, imo. I used to like JPP, the overwhelming number of socks though, turned me off. USMB went wholeheartedly the same way, for that reason I'll read sometimes, though that really is near impossible.

I really have cut down on where I participate in open forums, this being one of two or three. (The other two are rare.) I think for the most part I've somehow ended up with opinions that are just not commonly shared, which I can live with. I don't think they are welcomed for the most part, here or on other open forums. Because I like people here, I will try to fit in better, if that doesn't work out, oh well. ;)

I've found that issue posting works for me at this point in our country's political climate. Again, that's likely more on me than any other factor. Hong Kong, ME points of interests, just aren't big demand areas of discussion.

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 01:13 PM

First, I see you’ve taken me off your ignore list, again, which is your prerogative, but personally I’d rather you stuck with one or the other rather than switching, or telling me otherwise.

Secondly, I believe I have posted about myself more than enough on this forum, from hobby’s, trips, buying houses and cars, and more to the point after conversations started on this forum I have had several Users become Facebook friends which is *only* personal in its information output. And you would know this Jim, given I have added you to my personal Facebook twice, and both times you later chose to remove yourself.

I've read all your posts that I've come across. BTW, how is the home coming? ;)

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Let's wait for anyone to submit a list of sites, or even A site, and we can leave the domain out going forward, and simply look at what we are doing wrong. Do these better places have more rules? More moderation? Just nicer people in general? I don't know what makes people tick, but am ever curious of such a place!

All the places you listed are open forums, they are much worse than here. Indeed, I personally think that this site could grow a lot, if somehow the word got out to those who are very supportive of the administration. Seriously-that is the group to target if you want to grow.

For me, it's the people here. That though were relationships developed over years. The strain between myself and others has grown that I know I have to change my posting or leave totally. It doesn't matter how I can agree with some things, it's not loyal if not total. That indeed I am not loyal to a person, well that's not new. While I really like GW, I never had personal loyalty over say Constitution. Just not happening for me.

Anyways, I think this is a good site, with good people. Not a lot of middle ground, but it is what it is. There's no better open forum I've seen.

Noir
11-05-2019, 01:19 PM
I've read all your posts that I've come across. BTW, how is the home coming? ;)

So now aswell as everything else I’ve got to deal with a stalker too ;)

House is going great, we’re still in the ‘got no money’ phase as we spend every months budget trying to get things up, running, and in order, the last big expense will be getting the heating system replaced which is booked in for the end of the month and can’t come soon enough.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 01:25 PM

First I see you’ve taken me off your ignore list, again, which is you’re prerogative, but personally I’d rather you stuck with one or the other rather than switching, or telling me otherwise.

You see huh? How about the 2 polite private messages I sent you? Both of which I know you have read. So please, don't take me for a fool. I politely TOLD you what the deal was and you read it. But now in public, you want to act in front of anyone like it's some big surprise to you? And I do/did so to avoid certain situations. But make no mistake - I owe you JACK SHIT and not a single explanation. I have ignored you, not made a peep and made innocent and friendly contact. Then you write absolute bullshit on the board and I called you on it. Now you would rather lie and deflect, and insult the entire community in general.

And yes, I did remove you from FB. I see no reason to befriend someone who has taken by choice the opportunity to certainly not be friendly and act the opposite of a friend. So I quietly chose to delete you. Is that a crime too?

Being that we are the worst of the worst, and seeing you 'forgot' to list these sites, as you tried to imply or state I never told you something when I have PROOF you not only got 2 pm's from me, but as of this moment EVERY PM in your inbox is listed as "read".

But you claim we are the worst of the worst in the person to person abuse department. And then you take exception to being called out on that? Or because I mentioned you don't participate in friendlier threads? Or because of your own behavior and manner of talking down to folks, I chose to delete you on FB?

No thanks on any of the above. I will continue on ignoring you as I stated. But I won't ignore overall board based comments, especially in such threads being used to help the board or discuss and bounce ideas off of one another. So I really don't give a shit about FB or of being your "friend". But since YOU brought it up, I'd be curious for you to backup your statements. Such conduct need not be pointed out specifically with links or anything. We can read overall and get the idea and know whether we found some water in the middle of nowhere or not.

Quite frankly, I think you made shit up, because I dismissed you on FB, and then because I further dismissed you here, so now we are a big bad bullying board. Not only can't you provide a list of other boards, you won't even be able to find such offensive conduct here, unless it was moved to the cage. Anything else still out there is nothing more than lame name calling of people who don't know one another, or folks tossing comments and sarcasm hoping it sticks, as again no one knows one another. But the stuff I see on other boards, the nonstop threats, daily bans, 20 thread bans an hour, chaos in replies/threads that make them useless. But the trolling and name calling at some would make most here blush. Some worse and some better than others. None innocent. We ain't perfect and perfection isn't out there. We are not bullying unless someone considers "libtard" or "you must be a sock" to be horrid. But considering the support of fines and such, it's easy to see why people from different places can't fathom what free speech means, and wince at the lamest of sarcasm. But to each their own.

But if anything, you can ignore the whole thing for all I give a shit. But don't act like I don't just send you a friendly PM - which you politely ignored after you read, and then I sent a follow up that fine, I would continue to ignore you. Don't act like I didn't keep you in the loop... as if I had to anyway. But also, regardless of my ignore intent, don't think you'll post bullshit and not be called on it either.

Anyway, let's start with a list of just 3, since you decided to speak up and make the claim...

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 01:25 PM
So now aswell as everything else I’ve got to deal with a stalker too ;)

House is going great, we’re still in the ‘got no money’ phase as we spend every months budget trying to get things up, running, and in order, the last big expense will be getting the heating system replaced which is booked in for the end of the month and can’t come soon enough.

LOL! I'm a stalker! Cool, just how I envisioned myself spending my golden years. ;)

There's never an end to housing projects and subsequent costs, but enjoy!

Drummond
11-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Truly I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Are you really, really implying that the right does not act the same now? There was a time that most opinions would be couched in, 'In this case,' or 'I understand what points you are trying to make about ____ and there may be some validity in that point, but when it comes to ____, I think...'

That's gone, that the other side may have a point or that some candidates are just not ok for various reasons. There is no grey, only my way or the wrong way. The wrongs must STFU!

If there are really Right wingers who'll talk down to those of the Left, I'm willing to bet that it's invariably (a) as a reaction to having suffered that from Lefties, &/or (b) because they'll know that opening up a Left winger's mind to anything other than their closed beliefs is a complete impossibility.

But I do believe there's a crucial difference between one political philosophy that identifies with a hive-mind, 'Be led by these beliefs and imperatives, see nothing else as valid, consider those disagreeing as inferior to your 'enlightened' mindset' ... versus ... 'Believe and be true to what you feel is right, because you AS AN INDIVIDUAL think that INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS count for something !'

I really fail to see how there can't be distinct differences between how people from each 'camp' will approach the other !

A Left winger will seek to indoctrinate. A Right winger will seek to educate. I, as a Right winger, will test ideas to exhaustion, and I don't fear the outcome. A Left winger dare not do the same, because weaknesses of ideology CANNOT ever be admitted to.

STTAB
11-05-2019, 01:32 PM
IMO - like I said, you get what you give. If someone assimilates, if you will, and TRIES to be a part of the community, they get accepted. If someone doesn't want to do so, then that's their choice... but if they don't, and only complain about politics or the USA or any of the above - then it stands to reason that they won't be treated the same as your good friend from down the road.

But absolutely, all folks should always look to themselves as well. Hence why right from the get go I took my own responsibility, and made plans to do better going forward. Some folks simply couldn't care less about such things.

Each and every thing is a different case. So I handle things as they come. I may fight in a thread but always let it go when I hit a new thread. Some hold things forever.

A one sided forum is no good, agree 100% with you there. But folks like Gabby, for example, no longer posting here - she in NO WAY IN HELL is a poster girl for someone bailing due to bad treatment or whatever. EVERY last negative comment she received was MORE than earned. And she was NEVER banned or reprimanded for her horrid comments over the years. And she's not alone. I could name a few more who did similar. Or a few who literally "retired" from the board, if you will, instead of using the ignore button. In other worse, ban that person or I am gone, or let me disrupt every thread on the board.

Having opposing voices is great, we NEED that here and I have always promoted it. But that hardly means a lefty gets a free pass on horrid behavior either.

If someone doesn't like the way another posts, they can place them on ignore. If that's to be refused or as some would say the "cowards" way out, then so be it. But then don't complain about the little things of another member that one doesn't like. Not only from you, but pointing that out too. Constant memes only in a thread is not a good thing, you will not get a disagreement from me there. But a few are sometimes humorous. But they aren't and never were the reason for threads being killed. 99.99% of the time it's fighting/feuding/trolling. And again, if someone says another only posts memes - then place them on ignore. Claiming it's a cowards way out is utter stupidity. It's an ONLINE discussion forum. There is no cowardly involved in ignoring something. Being able to stand up to another and "fight" would never make someone brave either!

I wasn't here when Gabby was banned, so other than teasing you b/c I myself thought she was an okay poster and definitely thought she was hot I don't have an informed opinion about what happened with her at all. I hope that in every instance of me saying "I can't believe you banned Gabby" you know it was cuz of her cleavage LOL it wasn't because I didn't know she was a pain in the ass. I can imagine she is probably one of the biggest victims of TDS around.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 01:36 PM
All the places you listed are open forums, they are much worse than here. Indeed, I personally think that this site could grow a lot, if somehow the word got out to those who are very supportive of the administration. Seriously-that is the group to target if you want to grow.

For me, it's the people here. That though were relationships developed over years. The strain between myself and others has grown that I know I have to change my posting or leave totally. It doesn't matter how I can agree with some things, it's not loyal if not total. That indeed I am not loyal to a person, well that's not new. While I really like GW, I never had personal loyalty over say Constitution. Just not happening for me.

Anyways, I think this is a good site, with good people. Not a lot of middle ground, but it is what it is. There's no better open forum I've seen.

Absolutely. And I admitted in the past I had failed us in that regard. I spent a LOT of money over the years trying all different kinds of ideas and methods for advertising, and it simply didn't work. I would love a board with about 100 posting members, 50 from each side. That would be great!

But my only point is that while we have our moments, I can't imagine a board out there that ISN'T worse. I don't care for anyone to "idolize" or anything like that, was never even an intent. But we have always, and I have always, pushed for things to be a community, and for folks to self discipline and act like adults. And very rarely having to intervene. And for the most part it's worked out nicely, but far from anything near perfect. But the worst of all of them? Hardly. Even the worst of worst times here, and the worst of worst insults being delivered - at that very moment, we STILL wouldn't be remotely near the top of that list. Sometimes, just sometimes, a claim holds no merit, simple as that.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 01:39 PM
I wasn't here when Gabby was banned, so other than teasing you b/c I myself thought she was an okay poster and definitely thought she was hot I don't have an informed opinion about what happened with her at all. I hope that in every instance of me saying "I can't believe you banned Gabby" you know it was cuz of her cleavage LOL it wasn't because I didn't know she was a pain in the ass. I can imagine she is probably one of the biggest victims of TDS around.

She went out of her way to insult, to go into the past, to post private things she shouldn't have and tried to get me involved in a fight with a member over the private shit. That I will not stand for - even if it did backfire, as everything was already on the board!

STTAB
11-05-2019, 01:41 PM
If there are really Right wingers who'll talk down to those of the Left, I'm willing to bet that it's invariably (a) as a reaction to having suffered that from Lefties, &/or (b) because they'll know that opening up a Left winger's mind to anything other than their closed beliefs is a complete impossibility.

But I do believe there's a crucial difference between one political philosophy that identifies with a hive-mind, 'Be led by these beliefs and imperatives, see nothing else as valid, consider those disagreeing as inferior to your 'enlightened' mindset' ... versus ... 'Believe and be true to what you feel is right, because you AS AN INDIVIDUAL think that INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS count for something !'

I really fail to see how there can't be distinct differences between how people from each 'camp' will approach the other !

A Left winger will seek to indoctrinate. A Right winger will seek to educate. I, as a Right winger, will test ideas to exhaustion, and I don't fear the outcome. A Left winger dare not do the same, because weaknesses of ideology CANNOT ever be admitted to.

Drummond, I respect you and largely agree with you on most issues, but on this issue, I can not agree. Since we are talking about THIS board specifically let's just talk about this board specifically. When I returned Tyr and HPD and a few others specifically attacked me b/c I dared to disagree with them about Trump and some of the things he had done. They do it to other posters here as well. The difference is I'm an asshole and returned fire to the point where they either placed me on ignore or they left the board in a snit because Jimmy wouldn't ban me.

Now, I'm by no means saying I'm perfect , but anyone is free to look at the specific posts and see who started those particular fights and why, and yes they started entirely because certain posters , some already named simply do not want anyone posting here who disagrees with them in the slightest or alternatively if they are posting here they want to be free to attack them , but don't want them retaliating in any way, shape, or form. And I think the way they get pissed at Jimmy when they don't get their way bears this out.

STTAB
11-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Absolutely. And I admitted in the past I had failed us in that regard. I spent a LOT of money over the years trying all different kinds of ideas and methods for advertising, and it simply didn't work. I would love a board with about 100 posting members, 50 from each side. That would be great!

But my only point is that while we have our moments, I can't imagine a board out there that ISN'T worse. I don't care for anyone to "idolize" or anything like that, was never even an intent. But we have always, and I have always, pushed for things to be a community, and for folks to self discipline and act like adults. And very rarely having to intervene. And for the most part it's worked out nicely, but far from anything near perfect. But the worst of all of them? Hardly. Even the worst of worst times here, and the worst of worst insults being delivered - at that very moment, we STILL wouldn't be remotely near the top of that list. Sometimes, just sometimes, a claim holds no merit, simple as that.

Yeah, any claims that this is the worst board as far as personal insults or what have you , are just completely baseless.

Noir. I should tell some stories of the way USMB has treated me over the years. Starting with a poster named Syrenn being allowed to tell the entire board that I was sending her nasty PMs , and then after numerous complaints from me I simply posted on the open board "If Syrenn has any nasty PMs from me to her, she has my permission to post them publicly" which completely followed the rules, to which a then administrator posted. YOU don't have the right to give permission to post any PMs and also you're banned for discussing PMs" LOL

STTAB
11-05-2019, 01:51 PM
She went out of her way to insult, to go into the past, to post private things she shouldn't have and tried to get me involved in a fight with a member over the private shit. That I will not stand for - even if it did backfire, as everything was already on the board!

But she DID have nice tits

:salute:

Drummond
11-05-2019, 01:54 PM

I agree with the bolded text ! I've been on several blogging sites, and never encountered one which either wasn't worse, or became worse, over time. Criticism of this site just is NOT justified ... end of story.

[Of course, if anybody would care to try & prove me wrong, let's see some evidence !]

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 01:54 PM

I forgot the part of her posting on private stuff. My bad.

Drummond
11-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Drummond, I respect you and largely agree with you on most issues, but on this issue, I can not agree. Since we are talking about THIS board specifically let's just talk about this board specifically. When I returned Tyr and HPD and a few others specifically attacked me b/c I dared to disagree with them about Trump and some of the things he had done. They do it to other posters here as well. The difference is I'm an asshole and returned fire to the point where they either placed me on ignore or they left the board in a snit because Jimmy wouldn't ban me.

Now, I'm by no means saying I'm perfect , but anyone is free to look at the specific posts and see who started those particular fights and why, and yes they started entirely because certain posters , some already named simply do not want anyone posting here who disagrees with them in the slightest or alternatively if they are posting here they want to be free to attack them , but don't want them retaliating in any way, shape, or form. And I think the way they get pissed at Jimmy when they don't get their way bears this out.

I'm nowhere near as qualified to argue the toss about the detail you're trying to address as are those you're singling out for criticism, STTAB. So I'll make no real effort to get into any detail on that. I do know, though, of one instance of unbidden, undeserved libel against one individual which you, at the time, saw nothing wrong with.

You're aware that I can refer you to the detail of that, if I choose to. I do not choose to .. unless it proves necessary.

We each of us have a duty to fairness, to reputability, and that if we fail to live up to those standards .. we not only fail those in the firing-line, but especially, OURSELVES.

A Right-winger should easily be able to understand and appreciate this. A Left winger doesn't, not least in practical terms, see that in the same way, because to them, furtherance of an agenda is everything. The 'hive mind' mentality wins out, because all is subsumed to the all-important 'CAUSE' ... whatever it takes.

This is why a Leftie who is losing an argument then stoops to diversionary behaviour. Because failure, weakness, admitting error, CANNOT BE SEEN TO OCCUR.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 02:38 PM
But she DID have nice tits

:salute:

Honestly, she posted a picture that was supposed to be her. IF it was, she was flat chested, but a pretty girl. But then she posted another down the road, which was obviously a different person. I don't believe either one after that.

Abbey Marie
11-05-2019, 02:44 PM
I've not had problems on FB either. My own place is only friends and family, then some access by those in my closed groups. My closed groups I'm very, very careful about. Cooking, political issues-not partisan sites, and teaching related. That's it.

The 'issues' sites do not get personal, though sometimes opinionated, which I like. There's some from all perspectives, that were drawn together over interest in certain topics. Right now, I'm very interested in long-term effects from Hong Kong, which I've been interested in since the 80's. There's quite a few with the same interest, though the political perspectives range from far right to far left. Sometimes the comments can get a bit snarky, but it's not the sort of place where large issues are going to open up fully, as everyone is pretty content to stay with the main topic, which brought them there in the first place.

For one example, I get a newsfeed on FB from a major Philly network. They like to post provocative news stories, and the hundreds of comments get really personal and nasty.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 02:44 PM
I forgot the part of her posting on private stuff. My bad.

The discussing of private PM's and trying to start fights with another member was one of the final things, but far from the first time she violated privacy.

Honestly? What bugged me the absolute worst? Was making the mistake of talking about bipolar illness with her, and then in private. I am STILL not going to say what she said about herself. She DID publicly claim she had bipolar as well. So I trusted in her talking about it, and shared an awful lot with her. And then several times, as in many, she would use it as a tool. She would literally quote things I sent to her and use it to somehow make fun of me for having bipolar. Then it was always with the take the meds, you forgot your meds.... And then of course, she tied in me being a bad father due to having bipolar. WTF??? She would have likely been banned at most places by that point.

A lot of folks, as in 99% of the board, doesn't always know every last detail. Like that one is a perfect example. As in why would I have been sharing such with anyone else? So I confided in someone, only to have it used against me at times as if I were a bad person. And I guess many wouldn't catch on to exactly what was going on as they are all unaware of the private things. But discussing it is one thing, quoting me is another, making fun of me is another, busting on me non-stop about medications is another and then claiming I am a bad father, somehow because I have it. :( I am fully aware she was nice to some people. I was one of them at one point in time.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Yeah, any claims that this is the worst board as far as personal insults or what have you , are just completely baseless.

I agree with the bolded text ! I've been on several blogging sites, and never encountered one which either wasn't worse, or became worse, over time. Criticism of this site just is NOT justified ... end of story.

[Of course, if anybody would care to try & prove me wrong, let's see some evidence !]

Well, that's why I replied as I did. I'm willing to be wrong and wouldn't be the first time!! But appears the claim was made to degrade, but then any questioning of it won't be met with a list of those that are better. If we can be the worst, then making a list should be easy, as every site one visits/participates at is then better. Either that, or it's a baseless comment.

I suppose one could just list a few sites and hope for the best, but they would be wrong. I've been a member of all of them, and still read a ton and still shake my head at many! None have a magic formula for success, or a magic formula that brings about politeness and utopia when folks discuss politics. EVERY ONE OF THEM has their fair share, and then some, of the same shit we deal with, only in larger amounts.

Abbey Marie
11-05-2019, 02:56 PM
I don't think "both sides" want the other side silenced. I think a few conservative people who post on message boards want opposing views silenced on "THEIR" message boards, but by and large conservatives aren't out there targeting liberal speakers , trying to force them to cancel their speaking engagements. Conservatives are not forming "ANTIFA" groups that run around and beat people up for saying things they don't like. Republicans aren't passing laws making it illegal for liberals to express their opinions. I mean has any Republican to your knowledge , for example, said that churches that have opinions that that person disagrees with should lose their tax exempt status? No. Are conservative colleges charging liberal speakers 20X as much for security at an event as they charge liberal speakers? No

This is in fact why I am so adamantly opposed to THIS site having posters who oppose people who express unpopular opinions. That's not the conservative way, it's certainly not the Donald Trump way, and it is plain anti American. Leave that to the new Democrat Party.

Amen

STTAB
11-05-2019, 02:56 PM
I'm nowhere near as qualified to argue the toss about the detail you're trying to address as are those you're singling out for criticism, STTAB. So I'll make no real effort to get into any detail on that. I do know, though, of one instance of unbidden, undeserved libel against one individual which you, at the time, saw nothing wrong with.

You're aware that I can refer you to the detail of that, if I choose to. I do not choose to .. unless it proves necessary.

We each of us have a duty to fairness, to reputability, and that if we fail to live up to those standards .. we not only fail those in the firing-line, but especially, OURSELVES.

A Right-winger should easily be able to understand and appreciate this. A Left winger doesn't, not least in practical terms, see that in the same way, because to them, furtherance of an agenda is everything. The 'hive mind' mentality wins out, because all is subsumed to the all-important 'CAUSE' ... whatever it takes.

This is why a Leftie who is losing an argument then stoops to diversionary behaviour. Because failure, weakness, admitting error, CANNOT BE SEEN TO OCCUR.

I don't recall the specific instance of which you refer, but as I have already admitted to being an asshole I'll readily concede that I probably was an asshole to someone when they felt like they didn't deserve it.

You see Drummond, that is the difference between me and the posters on this board who routinely run off prospective posters . I admit that yes I can be an asshole, in EVERY instance in which there was a problem with myself and another poster when approached about it by Jimmy I can guarantee you I owned up to my part in it, but those others they act like everyone else deserves whatever they get and that they themselves did nothing wrong, and then they got mad when the board didn't respond in the manner they wanted it to.

Which is my entire point in this thread. We have some members who fill like it is their right and their duty to chase off anyone who posts any opinions which are different than their own. Now certainly claims that this board is the worst of all are ridiculous, I think most of us were at one time or another on USMB which is the absolute asshole of message boards, but when posters like Kath are being made to feel like their opinions are unwanted on the board, that's not good man.

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 02:57 PM
For one example, I get a newsfeed on FB from a major Philly network. They like to post provocative news stories, and the hundreds of comments get really personal and nasty.
Thankfully I don’t get that sort of stuff. I get breaking news from AZ and Chicago, and Hong Kong. 😂

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 03:01 PM
D
The discussing of private PM's and trying to start fights with another member was one of the final things, but far from the first time she violated privacy.

Honestly? What bugged me the absolute worst? Was making the mistake of talking about bipolar illness with her, and then in private. I am STILL not going to say what she said about herself. She DID publicly claim she had bipolar as well. So I trusted in her talking about it, and shared an awful lot with her. And then several times, as in many, she would use it as a tool. She would literally quote things I sent to her and use it to somehow make fun of me for having bipolar. Then it was always with the take the meds, you forgot your meds.... And then of course, she tied in me being a bad father due to having bipolar. WTF??? She would have likely been banned at most places by that point.

A lot of folks, as in 99% of the board, doesn't always know every last detail. Like that one is a perfect example. As in why would I have been sharing such with anyone else? So I confided in someone, only to have it used against me at times as if I were a bad person. And I guess many wouldn't catch on to exactly what was going on as they are all unaware of the private things. But discussing it is one thing, quoting me is another, making fun of me is another, busting on me non-stop about medications is another and then claiming I am a bad father, somehow because I have it. :( I am fully aware she was nice to some people. I was one of them at one point in time.
It’s easy to forget what didn’t happen to ourselves.

For the record, I’ve known few dads as caring as yourself.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 03:02 PM
I have about nearly 200 friends on facebook. I'm also a member of a few political groups of which I don't even participate in. I like to just sit back and read the comments. There will be someone who will post an article, and doesn't matter if left or right, and it ends up with like 200-500 replies! A lot of it can be decent in the beginning, but then devolves into crap of course, and then sometimes folks end up in FB jail!! LOL I've been a good boy, never once banned on FB or whatever. I never saw much the point as it's such an open aired place that even employers will have access to.

STTAB
11-05-2019, 03:06 PM

Just as a further example of how this board isn't even close to one of the worst in terms of anytihing. I was once banned on USMB for 24 hours by the poster known as Oddball, reason given was "fuck you asshole" I kid you not in the least, he didn't even bother trying to pretend I had broken a rule. Gunny was the admin at the time and reversed it within a day, but for 24 hours I was banned for "fuck you asshole" LOL

What's hilarious is I've actually lost track of how many I was infracted or banned for made up bullshit over there and everyone knows that is true and now years later the reason given if anyone asks is "are you kidding , look at how many times he's been banned?" never mind the fact that they were all bullshit . I mean who gets banned for making a joke about someone crying about their cat that's been dead for 10 years? Yep, me. A moderator over there decided that pets were family and so making someone of someone over their overreaction to a dead pet was violation of the no flaming family rule and I got banned.

Noir just doesn't know what he's talking about when he says DP is the worst board out there.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 03:07 PM
D
It’s easy to forget what didn’t happen to ourselves.

For the record, I’ve known few dads as caring as yourself.

I think you know me. I may brag about liking boobies or dumb stuff, and maybe on a rarity like to state I'm decent with working on computers. Otherwise, I don't brag, I don't have reason to, IMO. As far as being a Dad, I just try my best. SO MANY things that my parents and other parents taught me and warned me about. But nothing will ever prepare you for the simple daily life, and taking what comes at you and doing your best. By no means am I even an honorable mention in a Dad's contest, but also by no means was I ever tossed out of the club. And the kid is about to turn 19 on Nov. 28th, and I am still the same. And every day I question everything I do, and try to make the best decisions. But then I question myself anyway and am always left wondering whether or not I did the right thing, or did I mess up somewhere? I guess we never really know for sure. I would feel better if the kid was in medical school, or already made great money... instead I am still left lingering in the wondering stage and ever hopeful - and I keep pushing and trying as a father.

Abbey Marie
11-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Honestly, she posted a picture that was supposed to be her. IF it was, she was flat chested, but a pretty girl. But then she posted another down the road, which was obviously a different person. I don't believe either one after that.

I really don’t want to discuss this, but I was remembering the same exact thing. STTAB either she sent you private pics, or you are lucid dreaming.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Just as a further example of how this board isn't even close to one of the worst in terms of anytihing. I was once banned on USMB for 24 hours by the poster known as Oddball, reason given was "fuck you asshole" I kid you not in the least, he didn't even bother trying to pretend I had broken a rule. Gunny was the admin at the time and reversed it within a day, but for 24 hours I was banned for "fuck you asshole" LOL

What's hilarious is I've actually lost track of how many I was infracted or banned for made up bullshit over there and everyone knows that is true and now years later the reason given if anyone asks is "are you kidding , look at how many times he's been banned?" never mind the fact that they were all bullshit . I mean who gets banned for making a joke about someone crying about their cat that's been dead for 10 years? Yep, me. A moderator over there decided that pets were family and so making someone of someone over their overreaction to a dead pet was violation of the no flaming family rule and I got banned.

Noir just doesn't know what he's talking about when he says DP is the worst board out there.

He's going quiet on backing himself up it appears thus far. Likely has some clients on the hot burner as well. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Kathianne
11-05-2019, 03:13 PM
I think you know me. I may brag about liking boobies or dumb stuff, and maybe on a rarity like to state I'm decent with working on computers. Otherwise, I don't brag, I don't have reason to, IMO. As far as being a Dad, I just try my best. SO MANY things that my parents and other parents taught me and warned me about. But nothing will ever prepare you for the simple daily life, and taking what comes at you and doing your best. By no means am I even an honorable mention in a Dad's contest, but also by no means was I ever tossed out of the club. And the kid is about to turn 19 on Nov. 28th, and I am still the same. And every day I question everything I do, and try to make the best decisions. But then I question myself anyway and am always left wondering whether or not I did the right thing, or did I mess up somewhere? I guess we never really know for sure. I would feel better if the kid was in medical school, or already made great money... instead I am still left lingering in the wondering stage and ever hopeful - and I keep pushing and trying as a father.
We all do our best, then it’s up to them. Show me a perfect parent, I’ll show you a perfect liar. It’s always the case of ‘if only... ‘ which is really thinking our mistakes are more important than what we did right. We’re human, like it or not. So are our kids, they have to fly.

Abbey Marie
11-05-2019, 03:15 PM

That was inexcusable

Drummond
11-05-2019, 03:22 PM
I don't recall the specific instance of which you refer, but as I have already admitted to being an asshole I'll readily concede that I probably was an asshole to someone when they felt like they didn't deserve it.

You see Drummond, that is the difference between me and the posters on this board who routinely run off prospective posters . I admit that yes I can be an asshole, in EVERY instance in which there was a problem with myself and another poster when approached about it by Jimmy I can guarantee you I owned up to my part in it, but those others they act like everyone else deserves whatever they get and that they themselves did nothing wrong, and then they got mad when the board didn't respond in the manner they wanted it to.

Which is my entire point in this thread. We have some members who fill like it is their right and their duty to chase off anyone who posts any opinions which are different than their own. Now certainly claims that this board is the worst of all are ridiculous, I think most of us were at one time or another on USMB which is the absolute asshole of message boards, but when posters like Kath are being made to feel like their opinions are unwanted on the board, that's not good man.

..... I'm halfway tempted to try out USMB ....

This little debate is one which neither of us is likely to do justice to. To examine the rights or wrongs of what you're claiming, I'm sure it'd be necessary to examine specific details.

I'd suggest a couple of perspectives, though.

One ... a Right wing forum (or predominantly so) will feel 'like home' to some. A little sanctuary of sanity in an otherwise eroding social order .. where cherished standards are being forever chipped away at. Those who'll feel this way can't be blamed for not being overly welcoming towards Left-wing agitators into their environment.

Two ... there's a sense of patriotism, national identity, in many Right wing Americans, and a sense of affrontery is only going to be natural when it's intruded upon by those who THINK they know better, when in fact they do not.

I've total sympathy with that, STTAB. I respect it.

I approach this forum as a Right winger who's supremely confident in what he believes in, and what he stands for. I will argue accordingly. I'll happily do that, to exhaustion if need be, because I believe that my ideas, perspectives, sheer faith in Right wing thinking, will serve me well, BUT, if they don't, then it'd be necessary to concede.

This, to me, is the only proper way to proceed.

BUT, that's just me. Others make of this forum what they choose.

They have that right, surely, STTAB ? Don't they have the right to post with honesty, according to what they feel is justified ?

STTAB
11-05-2019, 03:27 PM
I really don’t want to discuss this, but I was remembering the same exact thing. STTAB either she sent you private pics, or you are lucid dreaming.

She never sent me anything lurid or inappropriate. For starters, I"d NEVER disrespect my wife by receiving such, but we were sort of friends, and exchanged some family pics. She wasn't flat chested. Petite yes, but not flat chested, and small as they were they were nice.

Abbey Marie
11-05-2019, 03:28 PM
He's going quiet on backing himself up it appears thus far. Likely has some clients on the hot burner as well. :rolleyes: :laugh:

It is I recall 6 hours ahead there. Does he post in the evening?

STTAB
11-05-2019, 03:35 PM

This little debate is one which neither of us is likely to do justice to. To examine the rights or wrongs of what you're claiming, I'm sure it'd be necessary to examine specific details.

I'd suggest a couple of perspectives, though.

One ... a Right wing forum (or predominantly so) will feel 'like home' to some. A little sanctuary of sanity in an otherwise eroding social order .. where cherished standards are being forever chipped away at. Those who'll feel this way can't be blamed for not being overly welcoming towards Left-wing agitators into their environment.

Two ... there's a sense of patriotism, national identity, in many Right wing Americans, and a sense of affrontery is only going to be natural when it's intruded upon by those who THINK they know better, when in fact they do not.

I've total sympathy with that, STTAB. I respect it.

I approach this forum as a Right winger who's supremely confident in what he believes in, and what he stands for. I will argue accordingly. I'll happily do that, to exhaustion if need be, because I believe that my ideas, perspectives, sheer faith in Right wing thinking, will serve me well, BUT, if they don't, then it'd be necessary to concede.

This, to me, is the only proper way to proceed.

BUT, that's just me. Others make of this forum what they choose.

They have that right, surely, STTAB ? Don't they have the right to post with honesty, according to what they feel is justified ?

In short, no . No one has a RIGHT to post here. We post here out of Jim's generosity, he sets the standards and the rules. That is HIS right. He began this thread to find suggestions to keep the board alive, and growing. If he concludes after reading this thread that "hey my board might do better if I shut down some of the posters who are constantly trying to run off people who disagree with them" that's his call. Same if he says "nah, I'm not worried about them" or what have you.

But no, no one has a RIGHT to post here.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 03:37 PM

Last time I made a 'decent' post there, just as I do here in starting a thread.... came back like an hour later, and all good, like 79 replies to my thread already! But then I think I found like 3 of them on topic? Feuds that followed over from other threads from folks I have no idea who they are. Then a billion posts in general about how the left and right suck. But just utterly useless. And then peek around the sections first, and you'll see many are like that, if not the majority.

What they DO offer is a very large site, with many participants. So you are generally always going to find someone to discuss things with. It's just that you might get insulted from the first post, be injected into tons and tons of fun drama & find out who has the worst mother of them all. All good. Now go ahead and complain. Whatever the moderation side is these days I don't know for sure, but they were banning people for silly reasons and for retaliatory reasons. All one do is need read the announcements section and such. I don't mean to come down on the place, as hell, I kinda got it started. But I'm talking in comparison. That's one of the worst of the worst, for real. But if you truly wanted another place to try out... still not free of what we have here, and actually more, as they are bigger, but JPP is a decent place last I checked. And the owner is/was cool as hell!! He used to post with us from time to time. But the BIGGEST warning? Holy Hell, truthmatters aka wouldn't know the truth if it were stuffed down her throat, posts there, last I checked a year or so back or more.

IMO? ALL the sites have their share of issues we share as well. But not all of them are places to stay away from like DU. There are some decent folks at all of the above sites I'm sure, and I have known many, as they flip around various boards. It's the members that generally get attracted to political sites looking to debate aka argue things.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 03:39 PM
It is I recall 6 hours ahead there. Does he post in the evening?

Oh, I have no idea honestly. I'm not even sure exactly where he's at and don't care much about the very times he posts. But we'll see if he backs himself up or not. Or if he's learned well from Pete in the disappearing from answering questions and backing ones self up department.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 03:41 PM
In short, no . No one has a RIGHT to post here. We post here out of Jim's generosity, he sets the standards and the rules. That is HIS right. He began this thread to find suggestions to keep the board alive, and growing. If he concludes after reading this thread that "hey my board might do better if I shut down some of the posters who are constantly trying to run off people who disagree with them" that's his call. Same if he says "nah, I'm not worried about them" or what have you.

Personally, I try and like to look at it like people DO have the right to post here, even though you are correct. That right exists until someone gives a reason to take it away - which is EXTREMELY rare unless someone is a spammer. I like freedom of speech and our old saying of your voice counts. I may be a true jerk off to some, but I have always honored free speech until I couldn't take it anymore, which again, very rare.

STTAB
11-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Last time I made a 'decent' post there, just as I do here in starting a thread.... came back like an hour later, and all good, like 79 replies to my thread already! But then I think I found like 3 of them on topic? Feuds that followed over from other threads from folks I have no idea who they are. Then a billion posts in general about how the left and right suck. But just utterly useless. And then peek around the sections first, and you'll see many are like that, if not the majority.

What they DO offer is a very large site, with many participants. So you are generally always going to find someone to discuss things with. It's just that you might get insulted from the first post, be injected into tons and tons of fun drama & find out who has the worst mother of them all. All good. Now go ahead and complain. Whatever the moderation side is these days I don't know for sure, but they were banning people for silly reasons and for retaliatory reasons. All one do is need read the announcements section and such. I don't mean to come down on the place, as hell, I kinda got it started. But I'm talking in comparison. That's one of the worst of the worst, for real. But if you truly wanted another place to try out... still not free of what we have here, and actually more, as they are bigger, but JPP is a decent place last I checked. And the owner is/was cool as hell!! He used to post with us from time to time. But the BIGGEST warning? Holy Hell, truthmatters aka wouldn't know the truth if it were stuffed down her throat, posts there, last I checked a year or so back or more.

IMO? ALL the sites have their share of issues we share as well. But not all of them are places to stay away from like DU. There are some decent folks at all of the above sites I'm sure, and I have known many, as they flip around various boards. It's the members that generally get attracted to political sites looking to debate aka argue things.

To me the ONLY enjoyable part of USMB was the flame zone, which is supposed to be least moderated area of the board, but is actually the most moderated part of the board.

Moderators are so busy looking to "get someone" in the flame zone that there is hardly any oversight at all in the regular forums.

As a test several months back . I wrote the most obscene post I could think of and posted it in the politics forum I am pretty sure I broke every rule they had and I even signed the post " fuck you usmb moderators this is sttab you can't keep me from posting"

then I had a friend post in the flame zone in a manner similar to me, not breaking any board rules , just being a semi obnoxious asshole like I can be sometimes.

The post upstairs is STILL up on the board and my account isn't banned or infracted in anyway .

The post down below got the user banned for being a "sttab sock"

LOL

That says everything you need to know about USMB.

Drummond
11-05-2019, 05:13 PM

You're taking me out of context. I was naturally referring to those who do post here, having the right - when they DO post - having the right to do so (subject to certain rules & regs !) in a way that's true to themselves, but also, hopefully, reputably as well.

I've no quarrel at all with the case you've just made. This is Jim's forum, and of course it'll follow that posters continue here according to his being happy that they do.

Drummond
11-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Personally, I try and like to look at it like people DO have the right to post here, even though you are correct. That right exists until someone gives a reason to take it away - which is EXTREMELY rare unless someone is a spammer. I like freedom of speech and our old saying of your voice counts. I may be a true jerk off to some, but I have always honored free speech until I couldn't take it anymore, which again, very rare.

Ah, well !! I just agreed with STTAB on that one !

Regardless: glad to be here ! Besides which ... as I'm not an American, but I'm posting within what's basically an American community environment, it follows that I should respect my status as 'visitor' to it. It's something to keep in mind, anyway.

Drummond
11-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Oh, I have no idea honestly. I'm not even sure exactly where he's at and don't care much about the very times he posts. But we'll see if he backs himself up or not. Or if he's learned well from Pete in the disappearing from answering questions and backing ones self up department.

If Noir truly is from Northern Ireland, he'll share my own timezone. As I'm typing, it's 10.20pm.

GMT is 5 hours ahead of New York time, Eastern Seaboard. Is it correct that there's a 3 hour time difference between East and West United States ? So, minimum difference 5 hours, maximum 8 hours.

Subject to whatever responsibilities Noir has ... well, if I can post now, I don't see what stops Noir from doing so ... perhaps the Leftie need to evade plays a part ?

hjmick
11-05-2019, 05:49 PM
If Noir truly is from Northern Ireland, he'll share my own timezone. As I'm typing, it's 10.20pm.

GMT is 5 hours ahead of New York time, Eastern Seaboard. Is it correct that there's a 3 hour time difference between East and West United States ? So, minimum difference 5 hours, maximum 8 hours.

Subject to whatever responsibilities Noir has ... well, if I can post now, I don't see what stops Noir from doing so ... perhaps the Leftie need to evade plays a part ?

Maximum 10 hours... Hawaii.

Drummond
11-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Maximum 10 hours... Hawaii.

Thanks ... should've thought of that !

I could check, of course .. but I'm now wondering about Alaska ?

hjmick
11-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Thanks ... should've thought of that !

I could check, of course .. but I'm now wondering about Alaska ?

I believe they're an hour ahead of Hawaii.

Drummond
11-05-2019, 06:47 PM
I believe they're an hour ahead of Hawaii.

Thanks again !

hjmick
11-05-2019, 06:54 PM
Thanks again !

It's what I do.

I drink and I know things.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 07:25 PM
It's what I do.

I drink and I know things.

What's a good drink recommendation when one needs a quick fix to drunkland? And which 2 teams will be in the superbowl this year?

Thx in advance my friend!! :)

hjmick
11-05-2019, 07:30 PM
What's a good drink recommendation when one needs a quick fix to drunkland? And which 2 teams will be in the superbowl this year?

Thx in advance my friend!! :)

I have a bottle of 1792 Single Barrel that does the trick quite nicely.

Texans & 49ers.

Okay... Patriots and 49ers.

jimnyc
11-05-2019, 07:43 PM
I have a bottle of 1792 Single Barrel tat does the trick quite nicely.

Texans & 49ers.

Okay... Patriots and 49ers.

Alrighty, great recommendation....

And at first you had me with the Texans and Niners!! But seriously, this "may" be a lucky year for them! NE only now has the one loss, but something feels off. KC is great but they need Mahomes back, one of my favorites to go. And then of course you have Baltimore and the Texans this year in the mix! AFC speaking anyway. And while I agree with the Niners from the NFC, don't forget about Brees and NO! What I DO know for sure, is that the Steelers ain't in any of my bets!! LOL

hjmick
11-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Alrighty, great recommendation....

And at first you had me with the Texans and Niners!! But seriously, this "may" be a lucky year for them! NE only now has the one loss, but something feels off. KC is great but they need Mahomes back, one of my favorites to go. And then of course you have Baltimore and the Texans this year in the mix! AFC speaking anyway. And while I agree with the Niners from the NFC, don't forget about Brees and NO! What I DO know for sure, is that the Steelers ain't in any of my bets!! LOL

Hopefully the Pats loss to the Ravens is a harbinger of things to come for them...

Gunny
11-05-2019, 10:16 PM

@Noir (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=517). I should tell some stories of the way USMB has treated me over the years. Starting with a poster named Syrenn being allowed to tell the entire board that I was sending her nasty PMs , and then after numerous complaints from me I simply posted on the open board "If Syrenn has any nasty PMs from me to her, she has my permission to post them publicly" which completely followed the rules, to which a then administrator posted. YOU don't have the right to give permission to post any PMs and also you're banned for discussing PMs" LOL

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

SassyLady
11-05-2019, 11:51 PM

Those women were vicious. Makes the guys here look like toddlers when it comes to insults.

I still think that's where Code Pink started.

STTAB
11-06-2019, 09:23 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gunny remembers . Asshole lol

I remember when that Jbeukemia or whatever his name was hacked the place , he made me a mod. The only thing I did was go in and read the mod board. Found a thread with Gunny just chewing ass about mods and even a couple of admins just repeatedly infracting me and banning me for things that weren't against the rules and he was sick of having to reverse them constantly.

It happened ALL the time. Still does all these years later, they ban anyone who even think might be STTAB. Funniest thing is I never received even a warning for any posts made outside of the Flame Zone, allegedly the least moderated forum on the site.

Gunny
11-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Gunny remembers . Asshole lol

I remember when that Jbeukemia or whatever his name was hacked the place , he made me a mod. The only thing I did was go in and read the mod board. Found a thread with Gunny just chewing ass about mods and even a couple of admins just repeatedly infracting me and banning me for things that weren't against the rules and he was sick of having to reverse them constantly.

It happened ALL the time. Still does all these years later, they ban anyone who even think might be STTAB. Funniest thing is I never received even a warning for any posts made outside of the Flame Zone, allegedly the least moderated forum on the site.About 4-5 years ago they let me back on. You'd have thought I was THE single, leading cause of strokes :laugh2:

I honestly couldn't deal with the place and the people on it. I DID notice the "Biddy Committee" clique. Actually, there were two. At war with one another :laugh: But I felt my IQ go down each time I logged on until I just stuck to posting here.

I was going to stay out of this but I believe I mentioned Noir's ilk earlier in the thread and Lo! and behold! he has to prove me right. He makes a statement as some kind of authority on boards and when asked to back it up what does he do? "Jim unfriended me on facebook :crying33.' for real. Not THAT :rolleyes: Don't have to wonder why I'm tossing an insult. I really can't see way around it in this for instance :)

As political boards go, this is the tamest one I have seen and as most know, I've been around the block a time or two. If one wants "more tame" there's probably a dictionary board out there somewhere. Probably fighting going in on it too.

I'm fine-n-dandy here. I'll worry about more people next year :)

STTAB
11-06-2019, 02:48 PM
About 4-5 years ago they let me back on. You'd have thought I was THE single, leading cause of strokes :laugh2:

I honestly couldn't deal with the place and the people on it. I DID notice the "Biddy Committee" clique. Actually, there were two. At war with one another :laugh: But I felt my IQ go down each time I logged on until I just stuck to posting here.

I was going to stay out of this but I believe I mentioned Noir's ilk earlier in the thread and Lo! and behold! he has to prove me right. He makes a statement as some kind of authority on boards and when asked to back it up what does he do? "Jim unfriended me on facebook :crying33.' for real. Not THAT :rolleyes: Don't have to wonder why I'm tossing an insult. I really can't see way around it in this for instance :)

As political boards go, this is the tamest one I have seen and as most know, I've been around the block a time or two. If one wants "more tame" there's probably a dictionary board out there somewhere. Probably fighting going in on it too.

Last summer, or maybe the year before that time has gotten away from me abut 100 of my posting friends on my Hog board decided it would be funny to bombard USMB with posters pretending to be me. It was pretty hilarious watching FailCalTen try to ban every incarnation of who they thought was me. Not that any of them were breaking any rules. Mostly just went into the Flame Zone and flamed the fuck out of everyone in a style similar to mine. For months they chased every single poster around the FZ banning and banning , some of my buds created 10 or more accounts. Every time they would ban one, somoene would just come back in with a new "hey it's me STTAB" account. They eventually changed the rules so that you had to have 100 posts to post in the FZ , but it only stopped because football season started and people were bored with toying with those morons.

As I said the most hilarious part is that the majority of posters in the "upstairs forums " are far nastier than anything I ever did in the FZ.

That being said, can you imagine how Noir would react to a run in with some of the "biddy committee" from USMB's past? LOL

jimnyc
11-06-2019, 02:58 PM

I know/knew and still know that we aren't the worst board out there, some form of abusing folks. All the words of folks and the lack of backing up, shows the BS it was to begin with.

Again, still small, and would love to see us grow, more equal. It's not even about money, as I'm more than willing to advertise or do whatever it takes to make that happen! So if anyone knows of any methods or places to advertise or anything like that, just lemme know and I'll pay if it looks promising. But not all boards are destined to grow. A couple of REALLY large boards out there, then a bunch of medium sized but still get a lot of posts! Then there are the smaller boards, of which we are. But compared to any of them, we are one of the tamest. And if compared to others in similar size, most at that size die out pretty quickly. We've been able to sustain at a tiny size. What we kept going here is all the friends, basically. I'd like to think so anyway!! A cool little community where pretty much everyone knows one another. And a lot of folks that come and go, are often of the type that don't really want to be a part of the community as much as the rest of us. Not everyone mind you, but some of them. I truly think it makes a difference. And whether someone is on the left or right usually doesn't matter as much if when folks know one another better. Ok, a little rambling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KeoYzHPKF0

Gunny
11-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Last summer, or maybe the year before that time has gotten away from me abut 100 of my posting friends on my Hog board decided it would be funny to bombard USMB with posters pretending to be me. It was pretty hilarious watching FailCalTen try to ban every incarnation of who they thought was me. Not that any of them were breaking any rules. Mostly just went into the Flame Zone and flamed the fuck out of everyone in a style similar to mine. For months they chased every single poster around the FZ banning and banning , some of my buds created 10 or more accounts. Every time they would ban one, somoene would just come back in with a new "hey it's me STTAB" account. They eventually changed the rules so that you had to have 100 posts to post in the FZ , but it only stopped because football season started and people were bored with toying with those morons.

As I said the most hilarious part is that the majority of posters in the "upstairs forums " are far nastier than anything I ever did in the FZ.

That being said, can you imagine how Noir would react to a run in with some of the "biddy committee" from USMB's past? LOLThis is kind of a perfect example. I created the Flame Zone so people with that idea in mind would have a place to flame people instead of being banned for doing it on the general board. Last I saw however, the whole entire board should be in the Flame. And Don't they have like 3 "Flame Zones"? You know ... like Flame Zone, Worst and Worstest?:rolleyes:

I was most amused by those who I had no idea who they were and they didn't know me all kinds of willing to tell me all about me. I've never seen so many "experts on Gunny" in my life :laugh:

Kathianne
11-06-2019, 03:16 PM
This is kind of a perfect example. I created the Flame Zone so people with that idea in mind would have a place to flame people instead of being banned for doing it on the general board. Last I saw however, the whole entire board should be in the Flame. And Don't they have like 3 "Flame Zones"? You know ... like Flame Zone, Worst and Worstest?:rolleyes:

I was most amused by those who I had no idea who they were and they didn't know me all kinds of willing to tell me all about me. I've never seen so many "experts on Gunny" in my life :laugh:

As I said and STTAB's post pointed out, but USMB and JPP are overrun with socks. I don't care for that. It's a preference, but like Jim said, mostly I like or dislike folks for what I can figure out. Multiple personalities isn't my thing. History, not psych.

STTAB
11-06-2019, 03:19 PM
This is kind of a perfect example. I created the Flame Zone so people with that idea in mind would have a place to flame people instead of being banned for doing it on the general board. Last I saw however, the whole entire board should be in the Flame. And Don't they have like 3 "Flame Zones"? You know ... like Flame Zone, Worst and Worstest?:rolleyes:

Yes they have flame zone, badlands, and rubber room. I don't know what the point of that is.

Gunny last time I was there for any real extent I swear to you one poster turned me for flaming family b/c I made fun of her for still being upset about her goddamned cat dying ten years previous and another poster reported Manifold numerous times until they finally banned him for calling the guy a son of a bitch, claiming that was also an attack on the guy's mom. They have turned the flame zone into snow flake zone. I mean we tried to explain "why would you come down into the zone specifically created to troll the fuck out of everyone in it and then complain about being trolled?" but the new moderation team preferred to change the rules and ban anyone who thought differently.

I wish Manifold was posting here, and Catz too. She may have been after your time, but she was one cold bitch LOL

PS - I hear you on the people who didn't even know you talking shit about you too LOL last time I was there Paulie asked the mods in the FZ if any of them even knew the original reason I was banned on the board and not one of them could answer because it was so damn long ago none of them were even posting then and had no idea who I was except to know that they hated me and didn't want me on the board.

Except that **** Kat, she knew me, as in we were yahoo messenger friends until she decided she could get some bonus points by joining the biddy club against me LOL

STTAB
11-06-2019, 03:23 PM
As I said and STTAB's post pointed out, but USMB and JPP are overrun with socks. I don't care for that. It's a preference, but like Jim said, mostly I like or dislike folks for what I can figure out. Multiple personalities isn't my thing. History, not psych.

Several of the posters on USMB used to bug me when I would come back "why don't you hide who you are, don't be an obvious sock" and I was like "what's the point of that, I'm not bipolar"

Gunny
11-06-2019, 03:24 PM
As I said and STTAB's post pointed out, but USMB and JPP are overrun with socks. I don't care for that. It's a preference, but like Jim said, mostly I like or dislike folks for what I can figure out. Multiple personalities isn't my thing. History, not psych.I don't like socks. There's no reason for them that I can think of.

Now I know one person who thinks that if someone uses one ID on one board and another on a different board, that's a sock. I disagree. There could be any number of reasons right down to "I felt like it" for that. But 2 or more ID's on the same board? I can see nothing good as a reason for that.

Not that I haven't been accused of having multiple personalities before ...:laugh:

Gunny
11-06-2019, 03:27 PM
Several of the posters on USMB used to bug me when I would come back "why don't you hide who you are, don't be an obvious sock" and I was like "what's the point of that, I'm not bipolar"They made me. It was a condition of returning. I could not come back as Gunny. Even after I was outed, no dice. The name Gunny is banned forever from USMB. Even in death I'm a threat to the powers that be :laugh:

I'm really glad I don't give a shit :)

STTAB
11-06-2019, 03:33 PM
They made me. It was a condition of returning. I could not come back as Gunny. Even after I was outed, no dice. The name Gunny is banned forever from USMB. Even in death I'm a threat to the powers that be :laugh:

I'm really glad I don't give a shit :)

I have one mod over there who I'm on a semi friendly basis with , we email on a semi regular basis , she told me that FecalCalTenn the head mod over there automatically bans ANYONE with an Arkansas IP address, just in case they are me LOL.

At one time one of the posters in the FZ started a poll "who would you rather have here FecalCalTenn or STTAB?" It was like 250:1 in my favor when suddenly the OP was banned for an unspecified reason and the entire thread disappeared into the ether like it never happened.

You would think I fucked FCT's wife and beat his dog the way he is frightened of me. I should just buy the damn board and ban his ass but my wife said absolutely not. She hates USMB with a passion.

jimnyc
11-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Several of the posters on USMB used to bug me when I would come back "why don't you hide who you are, don't be an obvious sock" and I was like "what's the point of that, I'm not bipolar"

Bipolar wouldn't have anything to do with someone making a dual account, or be hiding their identity and such. Usually changes in mood. The mania I had mentioned. Depression of course. It's not like a bipolar person can't be doing any of that stuff, but I just don't see the connection you were making. And yes, as someone with bipolar I sometimes take slight offense, but don't get mad at anyone.

Yes, sometimes folks with bipolar will do irrational things. But it's not like someone with bipolar will wake up one day and decide to make a sock account BECAUSE they have bipolar, and that being the reason for doing so.

Confusing enough for you? Welcome to my world. :)

But no, it's basically a mood disorder. Depression. -- not stupidity or multiple personalities or anything weird like that. Ok, well weird, but not that weird, just weird. :)

Gunny
11-06-2019, 03:43 PM
I have one mod over there who I'm on a semi friendly basis with , we email on a semi regular basis , she told me that FecalCalTenn the head mod over there automatically bans ANYONE with an Arkansas IP address, just in case they are me LOL.

At one time one of the posters in the FZ started a poll "who would you rather have here FecalCalTenn or STTAB?" It was like 250:1 in my favor when suddenly the OP was banned for an unspecified reason and the entire thread disappeared into the ether like it never happened.

You would think I fucked FCT's wife and beat his dog the way he is frightened of me. I should just buy the damn board and ban his ass but my wife said absolutely not. She hates USMB with a passion.The game they tried to play with me was to get someone to say my name (you know -- talk about a banned person) and ban them. The mods were in on it :laugh: I can't say I was impressed with the rent-a-staff there. The admins are paid, professional admins so don't really give a crap about the board and the mods were just :cuckoo:

I prefer it here. I know I used to be right in the thick of it, but I just have zero interest in being involved in constant pissing contests. Except when the occasional Turk joins here. You just missed the last one :laugh:

STTAB
11-06-2019, 03:46 PM
The game they tried to play with me was to get someone to say my name (you know -- talk about a banned person) and ban them. The mods were in on it :laugh: I can't say I was impressed with the rent-a-staff there. The admins are paid, professional admins so don't really give a crap about the board and the mods were just :cuckoo:

I prefer it here. I know I used to be right in the thick of it, but I just have zero interest in being involved in constant pissing contests. Except when the occasional Turk joins here. You just missed the last one :laugh:

There was a Turk here? I thought I smelled camel ass.

Gunny
11-06-2019, 03:59 PM
There was a Turk here? I thought I smelled camel ass.Oh yeah. A card-carrying, female upper-crust Erdogan propaganda machine Turk. Punky little female, college kid probably has a daddy or uncle in government and it went about as well as you would expect. I actually tried to stay out of it but I couldn't help myself. Her version of Turkey sure as f*ck wasn't the Turkey I lived in.

Abbey Marie
11-07-2019, 08:45 AM
The current USMB sounds like an insane asylum. Sad, especially when think of how cool USMB used to be before Jim sold it...

STTAB
11-07-2019, 09:36 AM
The current USMB sounds like an insane asylum. Sad, especially when think of how cool USMB used to be before Jim sold it...

It's hilariously pathetic. All their hard work to keep me off, they've been banning folks left and right and I've had an account all along and some of the threads in there LOL

jimnyc
11-10-2019, 10:43 AM
I'm starting to think that any comparisons or any type of proof whatsoever that would show us to be the 'worst', will not be forthcoming - just as I figured.

I knew that would be the case from the get go, as we simply aren't. Hell, I'm not even willing to bet on such things. We're talking about human nature and simply what humans do. It's like expecting to go elsewhere and somehow being able to breathe better, or expecting complete natural kindness from everyone you interact with. It's just not happening folks.

I'm not angry either way, but I will often stay on top of things that concern the board overall. Or if someone attempts to speak to the community overall, or for DP overall, sometimes a minor correction is in order.

And if someone makes an opinion about things here, obviously a ton of it is based on their own personal experiences. And I think such experiences folks will dictate to themselves. No one would welcome a spammer with open arms. Trolls don't get a whole lot further. Folks who are insulting don't always enjoy what they get back from others. We all have our days where we may not be ourselves, and you'll see that others respond to the manner in which you post and "reply in kind".

Either way, I knew we wouldn't be hearing any good feedback on that one. I predicted a non-response and was proven correct.

We ain't perfect by any stretch, but very far from the worst. In fact, I 'could' go down the line about each and every member here - and show why I think each and every person is decent folk, IMO at least.

Gunny
11-10-2019, 07:01 PM
I'm starting to think that any comparisons or any type of proof whatsoever that would show us to be the 'worst', will not be forthcoming - just as I figured.

I knew that would be the case from the get go, as we simply aren't. Hell, I'm not even willing to bet on such things. We're talking about human nature and simply what humans do. It's like expecting to go elsewhere and somehow being able to breathe better, or expecting complete natural kindness from everyone you interact with. It's just not happening folks.

I'm not angry either way, but I will often stay on top of things that concern the board overall. Or if someone attempts to speak to the community overall, or for DP overall, sometimes a minor correction is in order.

And if someone makes an opinion about things here, obviously a ton of it is based on their own personal experiences. And I think such experiences folks will dictate to themselves. No one would welcome a spammer with open arms. Trolls don't get a whole lot further. Folks who are insulting don't always enjoy what they get back from others. We all have our days where we may not be ourselves, and you'll see that others respond to the manner in which you post and "reply in kind".

Either way, I knew we wouldn't be hearing any good feedback on that one. I predicted a non-response and was proven correct.

We ain't perfect by any stretch, but very far from the worst. In fact, I 'could' go down the line about each and every member here - and show why I think each and every person is decent folk, IMO at least.So here is what I am thinking jimnyc:

Nobody involved in this discussion has NOT been here for years. Some of us more than others. You learn a thing or two that falls into the action/reaction category. You think about it BEFORE you type it and hit enter, rather than typing and seeing what happens. Especially when there is history to look at for your answer.

I'm going to go on Jim's board and make the statement it is one of the worst, roughest boards, or words to that effect, and there are other, more tame ones. Why would anyone make such a statement IF they bothered to think it through to a probable conclusion? Suicidal?

Here's a picture: I make the statement. The first thing Jimbob is going to do is ask WHICH board? Oh yeah, they haven't been named as of yet :rolleyes: So I name them and he's going to go join those boards within the hour if not sooner. He'll be back with his report, on the board in public here for all to see.

Guess I shoud have thought of that before I opened my trap and said something stupid, huh?:rolleyes:

STTAB
11-11-2019, 12:47 PM
So here is what I am thinking @jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1):

Nobody involved in this discussion has NOT been here for years. Some of us more than others. You learn a thing or two that falls into the action/reaction category. You think about it BEFORE you type it and hit enter, rather than typing and seeing what happens. Especially when there is history to look at for your answer.

I'm going to go on Jim's board and make the statement it is one of the worst, roughest boards, or words to that effect, and there are other, more tame ones. Why would anyone make such a statement IF they bothered to think it through to a probable conclusion? Suicidal?

Here's a picture: I make the statement. The first thing Jimbob is going to do is ask WHICH board? Oh yeah, they haven't been named as of yet :rolleyes: So I name them and he's going to go join those boards within the hour if not sooner. He'll be back with his report, on the board in public here for all to see.

Guess I shoud have thought of that before I opened my trap and said something stupid, huh?:rolleyes:

The damn clean zone at USMB gets rougher than this board , let alone the forums on that site where they basically allow anything short of about 10 rules.You would have to be very sheltered to think this board is among the worst out there.

NightTrain
11-11-2019, 03:23 PM
She never sent me anything lurid or inappropriate. For starters, I"d NEVER disrespect my wife by receiving such, but we were sort of friends, and exchanged some family pics. She wasn't flat chested. Petite yes, but not flat chested, and small as they were they were nice.

I guarantee you that whatever picture you saw wasn't of her. Everything she said was a lie that was eventually exposed, down to what state she was living in.

100% lies.

I do know that she indeed lived outside of Houston, but that was only learned by me running down her IP.