PDA

View Full Version : The Meximericanada highway

09-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I remember a discussion about a highway that is being proposed to be built from Mexico to Canada. Is there a route that they are planning to build that? Im curious what states they are planning to send it through.

typomaniac
09-06-2007, 07:25 PM
When did you hear this? The Interstate system already has several roads that end at one border or the other.

theHawk
09-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Yes it goes right through San Antonio which is why we are fighting it. Its called the TransTexas Corridor (TTC).

See http://satollparty.com/ for more info.

theHawk
09-07-2007, 08:06 AM
http://corridornews.blogspot.com/2006/10/did-texans-vote-on-trans-texas.html

October 16, 2006

Ben Wear
Austin American-Statesman
Copyright 2006

Do you remember voting on the Trans-Texas Corridor?

Me neither. But I think I might have. Sort of.

One of the moderators relayed a question from a McKinney woman asking why Texans haven't gotten to vote on the "Trans-Texas Corridor and related toll highways."

The corridor is Perry's 4,000-mile plan of tollways, railroads and utility lines.

The governor's response was deft.

"First and foremost, the people of Texas had the opportunity to vote on a substantial amount of that in a constitutional amendment," he began, going on to say that the Legislature had debated and passed toll laws in several sessions. The voters, he said, "sent a clear message of how we're going to build infrastructure."

What actually happened is that in a September 2003 election, 810,855 Texans said yes to ballot language that only the most wonkish among them could have known authorized wholesale borrowing for toll roads. The 45 words on the ballot, in fact, do not include the words "toll" or "turnpike."

Here's what Proposition 14 proposed:

"The constitutional amendment providing for authorization of the issuing of notes or the borrowing of money on a short-term basis by a state transportation agency for transportation-related projects, and the issuance of bonds and other public securities secured by the state highway fund."

I was told at the time that the purpose of this was to allow the agency to borrow here and there against future gas-tax revenue to address cash-flow problems. And that, in fact, is what the first part of the language refers to.

But then there's a comma, and some more words. Some technical but powerful words that amounted, apparently, to the electorate saying, "Whoo-eee, slap some toll roads on us, baby!"

Perry is a globalist erase-our-borders neocon that needs to be thrown out of office. Supposedly this was all going to be paid by "private investment" but instead we the citizens who live near and use these roads are going to get triple-shafted because we payed for these roads already with taxes, pay for their upkeep by gas taxes, then we're going to have to pay for them again through tolls, then re-buy them with more taxes. Oh, and did I mention EMINENT DOMAIN to aquire all the land neccessary to build and expand these roads? Rick Perry and the shitheads in the TxDoT don't give a bucket of piss for the Constitution of this country.

typomaniac
09-07-2007, 11:27 AM
http://corridornews.blogspot.com/2006/10/did-texans-vote-on-trans-texas.html

Perry is a globalist erase-our-borders neocon that needs to be thrown out of office. Supposedly this was all going to be paid by "private investment" but instead we the citizens who live near and use these roads are going to get triple-shafted because we payed for these roads already with taxes, pay for their upkeep by gas taxes, then we're going to have to pay for them again through tolls, then re-buy them with more taxes. Oh, and did I mention EMINENT DOMAIN to aquire all the land neccessary to build and expand these roads? Rick Perry and the shitheads in the TxDoT don't give a bucket of piss for the Constitution of this country.
Apart from Ann Richards, I never heard of a Texas politician who did. And I lived in Austin for 3 years.