PDA

View Full Version : What is Michael Bloomberg thinking?

jimnyc
11-09-2019, 02:29 PM
I'm unsure on what path he thinks he has. I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance, but I just don't know the path they speak of. But I think if he popped in today, he would likely have as good as a chance as anyone there now, even with all the lost time. I think he would be in front of everyone, other than maybe the top 3, Biden, Warren & Sanders. But he would also need time and campaigning to see how he would do, if he would move up in the polls or backwards.

He's certainly got the money to do as he pleases, as he did when he ran for mayor. But even with money, I didn't like him personally, but that was me. I think he would likely be a little more moderate than some of the cuckoo agendas. But I don't know if he would be able to surpass any of the leaders or not.

Or, they could also "use" him as a good tool. Have him and his money in it for awhile, and do so to use him as someone to hammer down on Trump, and someone that wouldn't have to worry about how the voters necessarily felt. Crazy thought, but this is the left we're speaking of. But, that the same time, I do know he has had aspirations for the office.

--

What is Michael Bloomberg thinking?

Aides to the former New York City mayor insist there's a path to the nomination — albeit a very unorthodox one.

In God we trust. Everyone else bring data.

That’s New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s longtime motto. And it explains how, six months after he was a definite "no" on running for president, he’s apparently changed his mind again.

Bloomberg, who had been running a data-heavy operation focused on electing Democrats, kept seeing the same trends in his research conducted by veteran pollster Douglas Schoen: The once-strong frontrunner Joe Biden was getting weaker by the day in early states. Democratic voters increasingly see President Donald Trump as “dangerous” — and beating him as ever more important.

Bloomberg’s data gurus first noticed a sharp uptick in Democrats’ obsession with unseating Trump around Sept. 20. That’s when news broke that the president appeared to improperly threaten to withhold aid to Ukraine if the country didn’t open an investigation into Biden and his son Hunter.

Democratic leaders nationally embraced impeachment, and so did Bloomberg. He had been opposed to impeachment but then started to see a path to the nomination open for him — albeit an unorthodox one in which he would focus on the Super Tuesday states and largely bypass the crucial first four voting states.

“The data shifted after impeachment. Democrats were always focused on electability, but after Ukraine that impulse became even stronger. And the current field is not well-poised for success,” said Bloomberg’s adviser, Howard Wolfson, in explaining how the collision of forces caused Bloomberg to rethink his decision not to run.

Also forcing Bloomberg’s hand were the early qualifying dates for presidential candidates to get on next year’s ballots in states like Alabama and Arkansas. His team put his name in as a fail-safe insurance policy because it was now or never for Bloomberg, who considered presidential bids in 2008 and 2016 as well.

Worth $53 billion, Bloomberg would spend no time hitting up donors. And whether he runs or not, Bloomberg still has a $500 million plan to take out Trump.

In a sign of the seriousness of his potential bid, Bloomberg’s foundation office in Manhattan switched its TVs on Friday from his eponymous news network to left-leaning MSNBC.

But if Bloomberg, the man who invented an entire computer system to decipher financial markets, is such a numbers wonk, his many skeptics wonder about the math underpinning his potential candidacy.

He’s a billionaire and former Republican in a primary fueled by progressive energy and suspicion about wealth and conservatism. He’s an old, white New York technocrat who isn’t known for an electric speaking style in a party that yearns for the next Barack Obama. And he has potential problems with black voters after his stewardship of a police department that employed stop-and-frisk policing, which disproportionately targeted minorities.

Rest - https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/08/bloomberg-2020-run-068192

jimnyc
11-09-2019, 02:30 PM
Forgot to ask - what do you guys think? A chance of getting in and passing the others? Would America like him do you think?

Elessar
11-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Forgot to ask - what do you guys think? A chance of getting in and passing the others? Would America like him do you think?

On the whole, no. I do not think America would welcome him with open arms.

pete311
11-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Bloomberg is thinking he's got $48B more dollars than Trump.

jimnyc
11-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Bloomberg is thinking he's got $48B more dollars than Trump.

But do you think being rich alone can buy someone the presidency? Just curious.

That would then apply to all of the Dems running too. Do you think he would stand above the rest and beat them? And if so, would it be money, or would it be his agenda and stances? Do YOU think he has a hope in hell of winning the primaries at this point?

pete311
11-10-2019, 11:30 AM
But do you think being rich alone can buy someone the presidency? Just curious.

That would then apply to all of the Dems running too. Do you think he would stand above the rest and beat them? And if so, would it be money, or would it be his agenda and stances? Do YOU think he has a hope in hell of winning the primaries at this point?

In reality of course not otherwise Jeb Bush would be president, but those with a huge ego don't see it that way.