PDA

View Full Version : A Very Happy Birthday, CSM!

Kathianne
11-10-2019, 12:28 AM
I almost, but not quite, had to make it belated! Thank you Lord! I'm on the Western side of the country.

Happy Birthday! CSM!

:disco:

Elessar
11-10-2019, 04:14 AM
Happy Birthday CSM

Gunny
11-10-2019, 08:37 AM
I almost, but not quite, had to make it belated! Thank you Lord! I'm on the Western side of the country.

Happy Birthday! CSM!

:disco:You did that on purpose :slap:

Happy birthday, Sergeant Major :)

jimnyc
11-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Happy Birthday, Sir! :salute:

Gunny
11-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Happy Birthday, Sir! :salute:Excellent. Jimbob just called a Sergeant Major "Sir". :popcorn:

CSM
11-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Thanks to all. I am treating myself to trip to New Zealand/Australia and having a blast. Trying to take pics but I really suck at it. Post more when I get back at the end of November!

CSM
11-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Excellent. Jimbob just called give a Sergeant Major "Sir". :popcorn:

Gotta give civilians a little slack. Besides, I have been called far worse by civilians; at least Jim is being respectful!

Mr. P
11-10-2019, 03:44 PM
:salute:HAPPY BIRTHDAY COMMAND SERGEANT MAJOR ! :salute:

Someone had to get it right! :laugh:

CSM
11-10-2019, 10:05 PM
:salute:HAPPY BIRTHDAY COMMAND SERGEANT MAJOR ! :salute:

Someone had to get it right! :laugh:

LOL....true....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-11-2019, 09:19 AM
LOL....true....

Sorry just now saw this thread. Happy birthday and thank you for your sacrifice and your service to us and this nation my friend..:salute:

SassyLady
11-11-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm so jealous that you're on vacation in NZ!

Happy Belated Birthday young man! Hope you're enjoying your trip.

jimnyc
11-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Excellent. Jimbob just called a Sergeant Major "Sir". :popcorn:

Always wonder myself. Can't address him as a superior as you do. I always give a polite salute. Of course he is a sir to me, and has earned much more than that.

How should I address? Curious!

jimnyc
11-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Gotta give civilians a little slack. Besides, I have been called far worse by civilians; at least Jim is being respectful!

What should a respectful civilian, or how does one properly address some of the higher ups in the military? I always wondered. Would be proud to address you as Sergeant Major, but thought that was above my pay grade as never having served.

CSM
11-11-2019, 12:27 PM
What should a respectful civilian, or how does one properly address some of the higher ups in the military? I always wondered. Would be proud to address you as Sergeant Major, but thought that was above my pay grade as never having served.

Sergeant Major is fine .... Command Sergeant Major is the more formal address.... akin to "His Majesty the King" ..... LOL

STTAB
11-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Happy Birthday, Sir! :salute:

Sir? He works for a living and being called sir is quite the insult to an NCO lol

Happy birthday CSM

STTAB
11-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Always wonder myself. Can't address him as a superior as you do. I always give a polite salute. Of course he is a sir to me, and has earned much more than that.

How should I address? Curious!

LOl ,the whole "I work for a living" is simply a rub at lower ranked enlisted who call NCos sir or maam, and a small jab at officers who most enlisted believe are mostly worthless LOL.

It doesn't REALLY apply to civilians, just those of us who have served have heard it so many times it's almost an auto response LOL

jimnyc
11-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Sir? He works for a living and being called sir is quite the insult to an NCO lol

Happy birthday CSM

I was never in the military and don't pretend to know how all the addressing works.

I do know I was brought up with how to address folks as "Yes Sir" or "Yes Ma'am". "Respect your elders" or get an ass kicking. So to me, any guy is "sir" unless I know them or told otherwise. Similar with the ladies of course. That's how I would address people outside today. Everyone I know works or worked for a living and I would never mean any disrespect to any of them, more so towards military folks. I never once heard of or thought of "sir" to be based on someone's employment.

I just didn't feel right addressing a military person with a military name - when I felt that I never earned that right. I have earned the right to respect the F out of al of our military, and of course then some and more for such folks that dedicated a career to it, and worked their tail off to such positions.

It may appear insulting from the outside or to those in the know in the military, when I address CSM, I do so with a monster amount of respect, and look up to him, and I don't think I ever once crossed words with. :)

jimnyc
11-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Sergeant Major is fine .... Command Sergeant Major is the more formal address.... akin to "His Majesty the King" ..... LOL

Sergeant Major, I have always watched Gunny address you as such over the years, and also respected that camaraderie, and that level of respect in the military in respecting those officers. I always felt a little left out for not being in a club that I chickened out at!

I feel blessed to have all of you guys here over the years. And blessed with folks such as yourself, to be here and share stuff with all of us over the years. I hope that the respect doesn't go unnoticed, or that one may feel it's not there. I have always had an immense amount of respect for our military over the years, hence my boards being designed in a military nature of sorts. I think the best of our best is what made our country so great!

Ok, Sergeant Major, :salute: I haven't earned that right via serving our country, but love to show that respect regardless.

Thank you to all of you.

STTAB
11-11-2019, 02:55 PM
I was never in the military and don't pretend to know how all the addressing works.

I do know I was brought up with how to address folks as "Yes Sir" or "Yes Ma'am". "Respect your elders" or get an ass kicking. So to me, any guy is "sir" unless I know them or told otherwise. Similar with the ladies of course. That's how I would address people outside today. Everyone I know works or worked for a living and I would never mean any disrespect to any of them, more so towards military folks. I never once heard of or thought of "sir" to be based on someone's employment.

I just didn't feel right addressing a military person with a military name - when I felt that I never earned that right. I have earned the right to respect the F out of al of our military, and of course then some and more for such folks that dedicated a career to it, and worked their tail off to such positions.

It may appear insulting from the outside or to those in the know in the military, when I address CSM, I do so with a monster amount of respect, and look up to him, and I don't think I ever once crossed words with. :)

I can't even guess at how many pushups I did in basic training as a result of calling a female drill instructor "ma'am"

"Private I'm a Sargent in this this woman's Army, I work for a living, you do address me as ma'am" LOL took a shit load of pushups to break that southern habit. She even asked me once if I was just that polite or what my deal was, I told her "my mom raised me with manner ma''am , err I mean drill Sargent" when my parents came for basic training she introduced herself to them and my mom was all "it's nice to meet you ma'am" LOL

Its funny how you look back at something like that after 30 years and it seems so funny when at the time it seemed like pure torture.

NightTrain
11-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Happy birthday!

CSM
11-11-2019, 11:27 PM
Sergeant Major, I have always watched Gunny address you as such over the years, and also respected that camaraderie, and that level of respect in the military in respecting those officers. I always felt a little left out for not being in a club that I chickened out at!

I feel blessed to have all of you guys here over the years. And blessed with folks such as yourself, to be here and share stuff with all of us over the years. I hope that the respect doesn't go unnoticed, or that one may feel it's not there. I have always had an immense amount of respect for our military over the years, hence my boards being designed in a military nature of sorts. I think the best of our best is what made our country so great!

Ok, Sergeant Major, :salute: I haven't earned that right via serving our country, but love to show that respect regardless.

Thank you to all of you.

One of the reasons I love this board is BECAUSE of the respect shown to ALL the veterans who post here. YOu can bet that if us vets didn't feel respected, you would know it!

jimnyc
11-12-2019, 09:55 AM
One of the reasons I love this board is BECAUSE of the respect shown to ALL the veterans who post here. YOu can bet that if us vets didn't feel respected, you would know it!

Thanks, Si.... Thank you, Sergeant Major. It means a lot to me if any of the military or veterans that come here, notices my appreciation for them and may notice how things get centered around them if and when possible. You guys are the heroes, my respect and small things are tiny gestures of thanks is all. :salute: