PDA

View Full Version : 2 sides of the aisle

jimnyc
11-14-2019, 01:54 PM
It's funny going to CNN, then then Fox, Gateway Pundit and then Yahoo for a aggregate filling of lefty articles. Back and forth.

But RealClearPolitics is good for that as they try to bring both sides, and very often, article after article of both sides. And it's no different on the impeachment.

--

Trump Exposed: A Brutal Day for the President

Goodwin: Adam Schiff’s dull impeachment hearings are a flop

Trump Exposed: A Brutal Day for the President

Perhaps it was George Kent’s bow tie, which looked like it was paying homage to Watergate prosecutor Archibald Cox, but a dramatic day of testimony on Capitol Hill sent the mind back to one of the more compelling vignettes to emerge from that earlier scandal.

Richard Nixon was relaxing, in his own fashion, with West Wing hatchet man Charles Colson and imagining the joyful day when he would have payback against the diverse enemies arrayed against him. “One day we’ll get them—we’ll get them on the ground where we want them,” Nixon rhapsodized. “And we’ll stick our heels in, step on them hard and twist, right Chuck?”

An impeachment inquiry is a constitutional exercise, a vindication of checks and balances, a living expression of rule of law. Yes, yes, sure—all of that. But the start of public hearings Wednesday was a reminder of what impeachment really is in the modern presidency: A brutal exercise in psychological exposure.

There was breaking news from the hearings, but it was mostly a matter of detail. There was a new anecdote from diplomat William Taylor about Trump allegedly haranguing a subordinate to keep up the pressure on Ukraine to investigate the Biden family. This was a validation of the existing narrative rather than a fundamental twist of plot.

Rest - https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2019/11/13/impeachment-trump-nixon-clinton-070837

Goodwin: Adam Schiff’s dull impeachment hearings are a flop

Is that it? Is that all they’ve got?

Day One of impeachment was not exactly must-see TV. Sure, it was interesting and substantive at times, which would be compliments if this were a graduate school seminar about the lonely lives and confusing experiences of far-flung diplomats.

But this was a congressional hearing to determine whether to file charges against and ultimately remove the president of the United States. By that standard, the Adam Schiff show was a flop.

I would call it a sensational flop, except that would suggest a sense of drama the day never produced. A five-hour slog that doesn’t hit pay dirt or end up anywhere meaningful can’t be sensational.

Rest - https://nypost.com/2019/11/13/goodwin-adam-schiffs-dull-impeachment-hearings-are-a-flop/

Kathianne
11-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Pretty much how I read.

SassyLady
11-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Everyone sees the world from their own perspective and are often unwilling to change their view point to get a different look at the world.

Kathianne
11-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Everyone sees the world from their own perspective and are often unwilling to change their view point to get a different look at the world.
That is true. The thing is that if one consistently reads multiple points of view, it may not change your inherent beliefs, but allows for differences in degrees with your disagreements.

It it allows for some understanding of where another is arguing from. In general I’ve found that the left doesn’t care for that at all.

STTAB
11-14-2019, 03:38 PM
That is true. The thing is that if one consistently reads multiple points of view, it may not change your inherent beliefs, but allows for differences in degrees with your disagreements.

It it allows for some understanding of where another is arguing from. In general I’ve found that the left doesn’t care for that at all.

I don't mind differing opinions at all. I think we need to hear opposing views in order to challenge our own. But you have to be intellectually honest about that and be willing to say "okay the facts show that my opinion was wrong, so I have changed my opinion to fit the facts if and when that is warranted, and even worse in a situation like this in this country we are supposed to begin with the opinion that the accused is innocent. But clearly Democrats aren't doing that. In fact, in my view liberals no longer base their opinions on facts in any given situation. Biden said it all "we believe in truth, not facts" that's how they can look you straight in the face and say "hey a person who has xy chromosomes can be a girl if they say they are" even though science obviously says that they are boys. Or how they can with a straight face claim that a 3 month old fetus isn't really a child even though the law clearly says that that is a human child in terms of if someone other than the mother killed it.

SassyLady
11-14-2019, 08:07 PM

I believe debating with opposing viewpoints helps me verify my beliefs because if I can't discuss rationally then perhaps there is something I can't see and probably don't want to see. Helps me see the holes in my viewpoint.

That old saying you won't get better at something unless you play with someone better also goes for discussing opposing viewpoints.

My granddaughter is a raging liberal and it's fun to debate with her. We very seldom move away from our original viewpoint but both of us agree it helps us solidify our stance. It's interesting to see how the world outside of family influences our children today because her parents are pretty conservative. High school and then university has really influenced her.

Kathianne
11-14-2019, 08:15 PM
I believe debating with opposing viewpoints helps me verify my beliefs because if I can't discuss rationally then perhaps there is something I can't see and probably don't want to see. Helps me see the holes in my viewpoint.

That old saying you won't get better at something unless you play with someone better also goes for discussing opposing viewpoints.

My granddaughter is a raging liberal and it's fun to debate with her. We very seldom move away from our original viewpoint but both of us agree it helps us solidify our stance. It's interesting to see how the world outside of family influences our children today because her parents are pretty conservative. High school and then university has really influenced her.
HS made me more liberal, seeing liberalism in action on university campus made me conservative.

Gunny
11-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Way back in the "old days" (:laugh:) that's how I used to form a lot of opinions if I was interested in a topic. Get as many viewpoints/angles as you can and pick out the common denominators.

I read the articles on here, or if something catches my eye, but I really have a bad case of "news/media burnout". I think a lot of it has to do with how over the top propaganda it's gotten. It's always been there, but it seems they've just left reality anymore.

STTAB
11-15-2019, 11:04 AM
I just wish we had some HONEST liberals to debate with. But the liberal viewpoint is so far out there on EVERY issue that they can't be defended without being dishonest.