PDA

View Full Version : Bush has bad day at Sydney Opera House

LiberalNation
09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
WHy doesn't he practice his speeches and why do they keep having him make speeches in other countries where it might actually matter.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070907/ap_on_re_au_an/bush_bad_day_at_theater;_ylt=AuZT8iXEsvGySn_IypgNc asDW7oF

SYDNEY, Australia - President Bush had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day at the Sydney Opera House.

He'd only reached the third sentence of Friday's speech to business leaders, on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum, when he committed his first gaffe.

"Thank you for being such a fine host for the OPEC summit," Bush said to Australian Prime Minister John Howard.

Oops. That would be APEC, the annual meeting of leaders from 21 Pacific Rim nations, not OPEC, the cartel of 12 major oil producers.

Bush quickly corrected himself. "APEC summit," he said forcefully, joking that Howard had invited him to the OPEC summit next year (for the record, an impossibility, since neither Australia nor the U.S. are OPEC members).

The president's next goof went uncorrected — by him anyway. Talking about Howard's visit to Iraq last year to thank his country's soldiers serving there, Bush called them "Austrian troops."

That one was fixed for him. Though tapes of the speech clearly show Bush saying "Austrian," the official text released by the White House switched it to "Australian."

Then, speech done, Bush confidently headed out — the wrong way.

He strode away from the lectern on a path that would have sent him over a steep drop. Howard and others redirected the president to center stage, where there were steps leading down to the floor of the theater.

The event had inauspicious beginnings. Bush started 10 minutes late, so that APEC workers could hustle people out of the theater's balcony seating to fill the many empty portions of the main orchestra section below — which is most visible on camera.

Even resettled, the audience remained quiet throughout the president's remarks, applauding only when he was finished.

A logistical glitch added to the woes.

APEC security workers would not allow the members of the media who travel in Bush's motorcade to enter the Opera House along with him. This even though the journalists allowed into the president's entourage are extensively screened and guarded by the Secret Service, which has more stringent security standards than about any operation in the world. And even though they always accompany him into public events.

As a result, while Bush spoke, the traveling media cooled its heels outside the landmark Opera House, shooting pictures and watching boats in the harbor.

stephanie
09-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Well heck ya....

This is BIG NEWS....

It should be put on the front page of every newspaper in the world...:uhoh:

LiberalNation
09-07-2007, 09:19 AM
It is news, stuff like that can matter.

stephanie
09-07-2007, 09:23 AM

To who??:poke:

LiberalNation
09-07-2007, 09:25 AM
To the people who was giving the speech too. What does it say about our country to theirs if our president doesn't even care enough about what he is saying to know his speech and give it in a halfway correct way. Calling them Austrian soldiers when they are Australians could really piss people off and loose their support for our war.

stephanie
09-07-2007, 09:28 AM
To the people who was giving the speech too. What does it say about our country to theirs if our president doesn't even care enough about what he is saying to know his speech and give it in a halfway correct way. Calling them Austrian soldiers when they are Australians could really piss people off and loose their support for our war.

Pfeeeesh...that's a stretch...:poke:

LiberalNation
09-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Not really, lets say an honored speaker came to speak at your workplace or school to speak on a subject importent to you. Wouldn't you be a bit peeved if he called your place/meeting not only by the wrong name but called you by the wrong title as well. I mean shouldn't he at least know what to say.

darin
09-07-2007, 09:41 AM
I can't believe the president mis-speaking is news. Holy Lord - what as the world come to? LN? You, yourself don't buy it - but you're doing an okay job of pretending you care about this story.

stephanie
09-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Not really, lets say an honored speaker came to speak at your workplace or school to speak on a subject importent to you. Wouldn't you be a bit peeved if he called your place/meeting not only by the wrong name but called you by the wrong title as well. I mean shouldn't he at least know what to say.

I would think them............human..
It was a slip....it's not like it was intenitonial...

Now if you want to get peeved over something someone say's...
Go read the article I post on Kucinich, and how he dissed our troop's while he was sitting on the lap of the Syrian dictator....:poke:

LiberalNation
09-07-2007, 09:45 AM
I can't believe the president mis-speaking is news. Holy Lord - what as the world come to? LN? You, yourself don't buy it - but you're doing an okay job of pretending you care about this story.
I think the repeated misspeaking is more what makes it news. Do I care about this story, well I'd say as much as any others. Can't say I really "care" about any news that doesn't directly effect me.

darin
09-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Will you admit to pretending this story matters?

Abbey Marie
09-07-2007, 09:51 AM
He sounds tired. Australia is far away from just about everywhere, and travelling there does tend to tire one out, I'd imagine. So what?

hjmick
09-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Who are you kidding? Anytime Bush or his administration makes any kind of mistake, no matter how small, it's news! Especially among the lefties for Christs sake. Don't you know they can do absolutely no wrong and are perfect public speakers? I say we impeach the little shit for this faux pas.

This is news about as much as the morning constitutional of 76 year old man is news.

LiberalNation
09-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Not just Bush, presidents in general. They are under a media microscope because of their job.

LiberalNation
09-07-2007, 10:07 AM

It matters, I just don't "care" about it anymore than others.

hjmick
09-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Not just Bush, presidents in general. They are under a media microscope because of their job.

Oh come on, let's be honest here. Bush, more than any other President, has been the whipping boy of the Media during his tenure. It started from day one and only got worse when he was re-elected. It has never ceased to amaze me how one man can be so hated by so many for such petty reasons.

I can't help but think that it less about Bush and more about payback for what the Republicans did to Clinton because of a blowjob (all the while the Clinton fans forget about the lying and the perjury that were the true issues, hell I couldn't care less about the hummer, I say more power to you if you can get one while at the office with your wife upstairs, though I would prefer it if it were the Mrs. delivering said blowjob), I was personally opposed to the Clinton impeachment, it was a waste of time. Hell, with the exception of the cuts to our military, nay, the gutting of our military, Saomalia, and one or two other things during his term, I'll even say that Clinton was a pretty good President, the country prospered.

Look, I am not saying that Bush is a great President, he has made mistakes, but the hatred spurred attacks are old. Very, very old. He miss-spoke, it's not the first time and God knows it won't be the last. The people who were in attendance knew were they were, Bush's goof confused no one. The biggest reason it's in the news at all is, it is one more chance to make him look like more of an idiot, and we all know that that is an opportunity not to be missed.

gabosaurus
09-07-2007, 11:53 AM
You can't expect Dubya not to be an idiot. He has spent all his life preparing to be the Lead Idiot of the free world.
I'm surprised that he knew he was in Australia.

JackDaniels
09-07-2007, 12:07 PM
To who??:poke:

Intelligent people.

stephanie
09-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Intelligent people.

That must be you right....

Since that is something you love to throw at people all the time...:rolleyes:

gabosaurus
09-07-2007, 12:50 PM
If the hat fits, wear it.

JackDaniels
09-07-2007, 12:50 PM
That must be you right....

Since that is something you love to throw at people all the time...:rolleyes:

No, I only throw it to people who have shown by their posts that they are incapable of intelligent, independent thought.

stephanie
09-07-2007, 12:57 PM
No, I only throw it to people who have shown by their posts that they are incapable of intelligent, independent thought.

Well, aren't you special....
Do people have to bow down and kiss your ass in order to be in your presence, or just kiss the ring on your finger...

JackDaniels
09-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Well, aren't you special....
Do people have to bow down and kiss your ass in order to be in your presence, or just kiss the ring on your finger...

All you have to do is make a post where you actually debate, and not make yourself look obviously uneducated.

jafar00
09-07-2007, 01:11 PM
He sounds tired. Australia is far away from just about everywhere, and travelling there does tend to tire one out, I'd imagine. So what?

Is he suffering from perpetual tiredness? I guess it would be tiring when you are worrying about putting food on your family, trying to to get human beings and fish to coexist peacefully, and to top it all off, knowing the the literacy level of your children are appalling. :laugh2:

stephanie
09-07-2007, 01:17 PM
All you have to do is make a post where you actually debate, and not make yourself look obviously uneducated.

What's it to you oh king of the intelligent ones??

Maybe you ought to go out and get a life, or maybe you need to get laid..

I don't know what your problem is...

But, I an't gonna worri me heed ovr it...

Meybe yu shuld tri it....
:cheers2:

stephanie
09-07-2007, 01:28 PM
If the hat fits, wear it.

Well....you would know about that..:coffee:

Abbey Marie
09-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Is he suffering from perpetual tiredness? I guess it would be tiring when you are worrying about putting food on your family, trying to to get human beings and fish to coexist peacefully, and to top it all off, knowing the the literacy level of your children are appalling. :laugh2:

Sarcasm noted. :rolleyes:

Actually, he is quite fit, and runs miles every day. Do you claim that traveling to Australia is not tiring?

bullypulpit
09-07-2007, 04:19 PM

I got news for ya...The Australian populace is already pissed off about Howard's support for the occupation of Iraq and their support for sending Aussie troops there to begin with was almost nil.

jimnyc
09-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Bush could certainly do worse than make a few speaking errors, he could always be a Muslim suicide bomber.

Abbey Marie
09-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Bush could certainly do worse than make a few speaking errors, he could always be a Muslim suicide bomber.

Or he could be Teddy Kennedy. :cheers2:

BoogyMan
09-07-2007, 06:12 PM

It is nit picking the man over garbage that is so trivial that it boggles the mind.

I am pretty sure that he probably coughed while he was there at some point, horror of horrors.

He might have even sneezed, but that would be too terrible to discuss in polite company.

In short, egads......