PDA

View Full Version : Her Majesty may retire in 2 years?

jimnyc
11-28-2019, 02:24 PM
I think it would be a good plan myself and good for her. She can spend what time she has left enjoying life, and watching her son become king, more or less.

Charles has been waiting in the wings and preparing to be king for like 10000 years now! It'll be cool seeing a king in the UK after so long. I never saw a king in my lifetime, over there at least.

--

Queen on the brink: Her Majesty’s retirement plan that could see King Charles in two years

QUEEN ELIZABETH II is supposedly giving serious thought of stepping down and handing over the reign to Prince Charles, when she turns 95 in two years time.

At 95 she will be the same age as her husband Prince Philip, when he retired from official duties. In an interview with royal correspondent Robert Jobson a former senior member of the Royal Household said: ”Her Majesty is mindful of her age and wants to make sure when the time comes, the transition of the Crown is seamless. “I understand the Queen has given the matter considerable thought and believes that, if she is still alive at 95, she will seriously consider passing the reign to Charles.”

According to royal succession rules, Queen Elizabeth II can’t retire without abdication, but she can stop all of her royal duties and responsibilities should her health become a concern.

In the event that Queen Elizabeth II is too sick or weak to carry out her duties, a regent would step in as a placeholder.

If this were the case, the queen’s regent would likely be her heir to the throne, Prince Charles.

As first in line to the British throne, Prince Charles would carry on with his mother’s responsibilities until she passes away and he becomes king.

In recent years the Queen has increasingly cut back her official duties, with Charles stepping into the breech and taking more responsibilities.

Charles has played a prominent part in dealing with the fallout from Prince Andrew’s disastrous BBC interview with Emiliy Maitlis last week.

Palace insiders have even reportedly dubbed the heir-to-the-throne the 'Shadow King' after his decisive handling of the crisis.

Although the Prince of Wales was in New Zealand at the time, he kept pace with events.

Rest - https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1209789/royal-family-news-queen-elizabeth-ii-prince-charles-prince-andrew-royal-succession

Drummond
11-28-2019, 09:09 PM
I think it would be a good plan myself and good for her. She can spend what time she has left enjoying life, and watching her son become king, more or less.

Charles has been waiting in the wings and preparing to be king for like 10000 years now! It'll be cool seeing a king in the UK after so long. I never saw a king in my lifetime, over there at least.

--

Queen on the brink: Her Majesty’s retirement plan that could see King Charles in two years

QUEEN ELIZABETH II is supposedly giving serious thought of stepping down and handing over the reign to Prince Charles, when she turns 95 in two years time.

At 95 she will be the same age as her husband Prince Philip, when he retired from official duties. In an interview with royal correspondent Robert Jobson a former senior member of the Royal Household said: ”Her Majesty is mindful of her age and wants to make sure when the time comes, the transition of the Crown is seamless. “I understand the Queen has given the matter considerable thought and believes that, if she is still alive at 95, she will seriously consider passing the reign to Charles.”

According to royal succession rules, Queen Elizabeth II can’t retire without abdication, but she can stop all of her royal duties and responsibilities should her health become a concern.

In the event that Queen Elizabeth II is too sick or weak to carry out her duties, a regent would step in as a placeholder.

If this were the case, the queen’s regent would likely be her heir to the throne, Prince Charles.

As first in line to the British throne, Prince Charles would carry on with his mother’s responsibilities until she passes away and he becomes king.

In recent years the Queen has increasingly cut back her official duties, with Charles stepping into the breech and taking more responsibilities.

Charles has played a prominent part in dealing with the fallout from Prince Andrew’s disastrous BBC interview with Emiliy Maitlis last week.

Palace insiders have even reportedly dubbed the heir-to-the-throne the 'Shadow King' after his decisive handling of the crisis.

Although the Prince of Wales was in New Zealand at the time, he kept pace with events.

Rest - https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1209789/royal-family-news-queen-elizabeth-ii-prince-charles-prince-andrew-royal-succession

This story bypassed me until now.

I've never understood why the Queen has never relinquished the role, certainly at her advanced age. Was it because Charles wanted a greater independence than being King would've allowed him ? Was it because the Queen balked at seeing Charles take over ??

Was it just that she enjoyed being Queen too much to give it up ?

I don't know. But regardless, she should do a Prince Philip and retire from public life. If not now .... when ????

icansayit
11-28-2019, 09:21 PM
This story bypassed me until now.

I've never understood why the Queen has never relinquished the role, certainly at her advanced age. Was it because Charles wanted a greater independence than being King would've allowed him ? Was it because the Queen balked at seeing Charles take over ??

Was it just that she enjoyed being Queen too much to give it up ?

I don't know. But regardless, she should do a Prince Philip and retire from public life. If not now .... when ????

What "IF", something happens to Charles before She retires? What would be the route then? Charles is getting on as well, isn't he? (would that make Diana's oldest become King?)

My wife is from IRELAND, Donegal. So she is generally up on her Royalty facts.

Drummond
11-28-2019, 09:30 PM
What "IF", something happens to Charles before She retires? What would be the route then? Charles is getting on as well, isn't he? (would that make Diana's oldest become King?)

My wife is from IRELAND, Donegal. So she is generally up on her Royalty facts.

... Ummm ... I'm not 100% certain. But I think males 'trump' females when it comes to taking over the head role of the British monarchy. With Charles out of the picture, I think that the next to qualify for the role would be ... Andrew (!!).

There was an unexplained mention in our media of Charles 'cancelling' Andrew as an active Royal Family member. This just might refer to a Charles seeking to ensure that Andrew is mandatorially sidelined ... so, presumably, Prince William would take over, if Charles wasn't a prospect (for whatever precise reason).

Kathianne
11-28-2019, 09:35 PM
... Ummm ... I'm not 100% certain. But I think males 'trump' females when it comes to taking over the head role of the British monarchy. With Charles out of the picture, I think that the next to qualify for the role would be ... Andrew (!!).

There was an unexplained mention in our media of Charles 'cancelling' Andrew as an active Royal Family member. This just might refer to a Charles seeking to ensure that Andrew is mandatorially sidelined ... so, presumably, Prince William would take over, if Charles wasn't a prospect (for whatever precise reason).
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_succession_to_the_British_throne

The line of succession to the British throne is the order in which members of the royal family would come to the throne if the reigning king or queen died.At present the first in line is Charles, Prince of Wales (https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles,_Prince_of_Wales), followed by his eldest son, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge (https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_William,_Duke_of_Cambridge) and then Prince William's son, Prince George of Cambridge.
Traditionally, males came before females in the line of succession. However, the law changed on 26 March 2015, so at present, for people born after 28 October 2011 the succession is decided only by age: older children come before younger children. When someone who is in line to the throne has a child, that child comes after them and their older children, but before anyone else in the line of succession.
Excluded from the line of succession are Catholics (https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholics) and illegitimate children.

High_Plains_Drifter
11-29-2019, 09:11 AM
I don't know why the "PROGRESSIVE" Europeans continue this 5th century king and queen stuff.

We refer to someone in politics over here as a king or queen as in insult.

No offense to Drummond.

Drummond
11-29-2019, 12:39 PM
I don't know why the "PROGRESSIVE" Europeans continue this 5th century king and queen stuff.

We refer to someone in politics over here as a king or queen as in insult.

No offense to Drummond.

No offence taken !

It's an interesting point. The hardest-line of Lefties over here ARE strongly anti-Monarchist. Indeed ... that's generally regarded as a Left wing point of view. Right-wingers in my part of the world rarely take the same line.

Haven't heard of 'king' being used as an insult, though 'queen' has the same connotations as I think your're referring to, in certain social circumstances .....