PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Version Of Freedom of Speech

red states rule
02-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Rosie Calls Dixie Chick-Bashing "McCarthy Era-esque," Whoopi Equates It To 1933 Nazis
Posted by Justin McCarthy on February 2, 2007 - 15:33.
Rosie O’Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg seem to forget that the freedom of speech is a two way street. On Friday’s The View, guest co-host Whoopi Goldberg discussed her crude remarks at a 2004 Democratic National Committee fund raiser, which prompted a discussion on the fallout from the Dixie Chicks’ repeated criticisms of President Bush and his handling of the War on Terror. Rosie O’Donnell asserted that there is "sort of a McCarthy era-esque feeling about entertainers speaking out against the government in any capacity."

Token non-liberal Elisabeth Hasselbeck reminded Rosie that freedom of speech includes not only the Dixie Chicks but, those who speak out against them. Hasselbeck posed the question "why don’t I have the right not to buy their records and say you shouldn’t either?"

Whoopi Goldberg made a rather inflammatory comparison and Rosie O’Donnell agreed.

Goldberg: "You have a right not to buy their records, but burning them in public brings on 1933."

O’Donnell: "Correct."

Whoopi continued on her anti-burning tangent while Hasselbeck was trying to inject some common sense.

Goldberg: "Nobody has a right to burn it. They can say I don’t like it, I don’t want to hear it."

Hasselbeck: "But it’s theirs. They bought it. They bought the CD. It’s theirs

Goldberg: "Then don’t listen to it."

The transcript is below.

Rosie O’Donnell: "This is way before anything happened to the Dixie Chicks."

Whoopi Goldberg: "Oh way before."

O’Donnell: "Because, honestly, there was and there still is in some capacity sort of a McCarthy era-esque feeling about entertainers speaking out against the government in any capacity."

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: "Why then if you– for instance, I was a huge Dixie Chicks fan. Ok, I love the ‘Cowboy, Take me Away,.’ whatever that song was I used to listen to. I love it, even now I still, I still like it, but I'm not a fan anymore. So why if they, if they have a right to, to speak their mind and say what they want at their concerts that people pay for and don't intend to like go to a political statement or, you know, concert. Alright, ok, so why don't I have a right to not buy their records to say you shouldn’t buy their record either?"

Goldberg: "You have a right not to buy their records, but burning them in public brings on 1933."

Hasselbeck: "But why is it, why is that not an ok-"

Goldberg: "Let me tell you, let me tell you why. Because in Germany, when they started burning art and they started burning books and they started burning things, when you start burning stuff in public, that is a whole other statement. You can say, you know what? I don't- But they were burning their records. And that’s why- You can say I don't like what they stand for. I don’t like what they did."

Hasselbeck: "What about when women burned their bras? That was a political statement. That was ok."

Joy Behar: "They're burning their own bras. They're not burning your bra."

[Applause]

Hasselbeck: "I’m just saying if you want to say burning, burning. I'm an artist, too. If I say something that's emotionally charged or politically charged and someone burned it-"

Goldberg: "Nobody has the right to burn it. They can say I don't like it, I don't want to hear it."

Hasselbeck: "But it’s theirs they bought it. They bought the CD. It's theirs."

Behar: "There's something symbolic about burning it."

Goldberg: "When you burn it, you take it to another level."

Hasselbeck: "But isn't this just protest in some way?"

Behar: "Think Ku Klux Klan, when they burn the cross."

Hasselbeck: "I'm not ok with that."

Behar: "Well, but I mean it’s the same thing. It’s the burning."

Goldberg: "It’s the burning of the thing. You really want to stay away from it."

[laughter]

Goldberg: "You know, the sheet thing. It’s not good."

Hasselbeck: "I got you there."

Behar: "It’s a complicated thing because we also, a lot of First Amendment people believe you should be able to burn the flag or step on the flag. It's a complicated conversation."

Goldberg: "I don't think burning anything because of the connotation that it has had, everything it has meant through the history of the world."

Hasselbeck: "Well, I mean bottom line is, it's just a fire hazard, so you shouldn’t do it. It’s not ok."

[laughter]

Goldberg: "Now that is a bright way to look at it."

http://newsbusters.org/node

Hobbit
02-02-2007, 08:38 PM
On a side note, Whoopi made Rosie visibly ill when she pointed out that the only one defending Whoopi's freedom of speech back in 2004 was Sean Hannity.

red states rule
02-02-2007, 08:44 PM
On a side note, Whoopi made Rosie visibly ill when she pointed out that the only one defending Whoopi's freedom of speech back in 2004 was Sean Hannity.

I am visibly ill when I look at Rosie

Check this out and go all the way down the page

http://www.sportscrew.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53084

stephanie
02-03-2007, 01:12 AM

I can't bring myself to click on it.....:lmao:

The whoopster was on Bill Oreilly last night..
Thought I'd watch it to see if she'd gained some intelligence....

Nope....She's still as dumb as rock...

She should just stick to Comedy...That I can watch her in....:laugh:

red states rule
02-03-2007, 07:12 AM
I can't bring myself to click on it.....:lmao:

The whoopster was on Bill Oreilly last night..
Thought I'd watch it to see if she'd gained some intelligence....

Nope....She's still as dumb as rock...

She should just stick to Comedy...That I can watch her in....:laugh:

Steph, what is your beef against rocks?

I know the peace niks use them to throw at Police, but it is not the rocks fault

Hugh Lincoln
02-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Could there be a more pathetic marker of the decline of the West than the acendence of an ugly black woman with no talent and a Jewish name?

jillian
02-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Could there be a more pathetic marker of the decline of the West than the acendence of an ugly black woman with no talent and a Jewish name?

You must be bored. No crosses to burn today or is your hood at the drycleaners?

red states rule
02-03-2007, 11:34 AM
You must be bored. No crosses to burn today or is your hood at the drycleaners?

I see the Scorpion Queen is venting her venom today. I see you are like you liberal buds in a debate. Attack first then worry about the topic at hand

jillian
02-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I see the Scorpion Queen is venting her venom today. I see you are like you liberal buds in a debate. Attack first then worry about the topic at hand

Fitting that you should align yourself with a card-carrying member of the KKK. You not getting that? Or you just feel like trolling the board because your buddies on the D&D board aren't around yet?

red states rule
02-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Fitting that you should align yourself with a card-carrying member of the KKK. You not getting that? Or you just feel like trolling the board because your buddies on the D&D board aren't around yet?

Sorry, you must have be mixed up with your guy Robert Byrd. Dems love to play the race card to try and convince people they really care

Why are you here Jilly? No Iraq vets to spit on at a peace rally this morning?

jillian
02-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Sorry, you must have be mixed up with your guy Robert Byrd. Dems love to play the race card to try and convince people they really care

Why are you here Jilly? No Iraq vets to spit on at a peace rally this morning?

Like I said, go support the racist piece of garbage. It suits your level of ignorance.

red states rule
02-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Like I said, go support the racist piece of garbage. It suits your level of ignorance.

Racist? Like Joe Biden. It seems your side is the one with the racists

Of course, to pin heads like Jilly only conservatives can be racists

Gunny
02-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Rosie Calls Dixie Chick-Bashing "McCarthy Era-esque," Whoopi Equates It To 1933 Nazis
Rosie O’Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg seem to forget that the freedom of speech is a two way street. On Friday’s The View, guest co-host Whoopi Goldberg discussed her crude remarks at a 2004 Democratic National Committee fund raiser, which prompted a discussion on the fallout from the Dixie Chicks’ repeated criticisms of President Bush and his handling of the War on Terror. Rosie O’Donnell asserted that there is "sort of a McCarthy era-esque feeling about entertainers speaking out against the government in any capacity."

Token non-liberal Elisabeth Hasselbeck reminded Rosie that freedom of speech includes not only the Dixie Chicks but, those who speak out against them. Hasselbeck posed the question "why don’t I have the right not to buy their records and say you shouldn’t either?"

Whoopi Goldberg made a rather inflammatory comparison and Rosie O’Donnell agreed.

Whoopi continued on her anti-burning tangent while Hasselbeck was trying to inject some common sense.

Goldberg: "Nobody has a right to burn it. They can say I don’t like it, I don’t want to hear it."

The transcript is below.

O’Donnell: "Because, honestly, there was and there still is in some capacity sort of a McCarthy era-esque feeling about entertainers speaking out against the government in any capacity."

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: "Why then if you– for instance, I was a huge Dixie Chicks fan. Ok, I love the ‘Cowboy, Take me Away,.’ whatever that song was I used to listen to. I love it, even now I still, I still like it, but I'm not a fan anymore. So why if they, if they have a right to, to speak their mind and say what they want at their concerts that people pay for and don't intend to like go to a political statement or, you know, concert. Alright, ok, so why don't I have a right to not buy their records to say you shouldn’t buy their record either?"

Goldberg: "Let me tell you, let me tell you why. Because in Germany, when they started burning art and they started burning books and they started burning things, when you start burning stuff in public, that is a whole other statement. You can say, you know what? I don't- But they were burning their records. And that’s why- You can say I don't like what they stand for. I don’t like what they did."

Hasselbeck: "What about when women burned their bras? That was a political statement. That was ok."

[Applause]

Hasselbeck: "I’m just saying if you want to say burning, burning. I'm an artist, too. If I say something that's emotionally charged or politically charged and someone burned it-"

Goldberg: "Nobody has the right to burn it. They can say I don't like it, I don't want to hear it."

Goldberg: "It’s the burning of the thing. You really want to stay away from it."

[laughter]

Behar: "It’s a complicated thing because we also, a lot of First Amendment people believe you should be able to burn the flag or step on the flag. It's a complicated conversation."

Goldberg: "I don't think burning anything because of the connotation that it has had, everything it has meant through the history of the world."

Hasselbeck: "Well, I mean bottom line is, it's just a fire hazard, so you shouldn’t do it. It’s not ok."

[laughter]

Regurgitating the Chixie Dicks AGAIN?

They get what they deserve. No one has said they do not have the right to express themselves however they so desire. The Constitution guarantees them that right.

It does not however guarantee them the right to my financial support. I paid money for the Dixie Chicks to be entertained. If they are going to use an entertainment venue to spout their political beliefs which I disagree with, then I am going to use the only means available to me where they are concerned to let them know that.

Bashing? They're stupid. They made their money and name from a music genre that's audience is primarily conservative and ultra-patriotic. To talk shit about the President of the US on a foreign stage in front of a foreign audience is just wrong.

Gunny
02-03-2007, 11:56 AM

RSR - HL is pretty-much an avowed and obvious racist. His comment did not address the topic, it attacked a person because of her skin color.

red states rule
02-03-2007, 12:03 PM
RSR - HL is pretty-much an avowed and obvious racist. His comment did not address the topic, it attacked a person because of her skin color.

I do not see how his comments are racist. Whoopie is an obnoxious loud mouth (like Rosie) but I did not see a racist comment

Gunny
02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I do not see how his comments are racist. Whoopie is an obnoxious loud mouth (like Rosie) but I did not see a racist comment

Look up his previous posts, then read it again.

red states rule
02-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Look up his previous posts, then read it again.

OK Gunny, it seems HL does not like anyone other then himself. I stand corected and th nak you for pointing out his other posts

He reminds me of Sen Biden in his comments

Gunny
02-03-2007, 12:28 PM
OK Gunny, it seems HL does not like anyone other then himself. I stand corected and th nak you for pointing out his other posts

He reminds me of Sen Biden in his comments

He reminds me of a racist troll. He does drive-by's, and doesn't hang around to defend his comments.

red states rule
02-03-2007, 12:39 PM
He reminds me of a racist troll. He does drive-by's, and doesn't hang around to defend his comments.

So is he a mix of Byrd and Biden?

Gunny
02-03-2007, 12:56 PM
So is he a mix of Byrd and Biden?

LOL, I know you DO hate Democrats ... but no, he is an intolerant hater, probably blaming his inability to succeed on his own on the easiest target. That coupled with ignorance seems to produce racism, but I don't really think it's a partisan belief.

red states rule
02-03-2007, 01:01 PM
LOL, I know you DO hate Democrats ... but no, he is an intolerant hater, probably blaming his inability to succeed on his own on the easiest target. That coupled with ignorance seems to produce racism, but I don't really think it's a partisan belief.

inability to succeed - oh, he used to work at Air Amercia. Now I know why he is so angry.

jillian
02-03-2007, 01:42 PM

White supremacy has nothing to do with party affiliation. He's just a KKK'er.

red states rule
02-03-2007, 01:44 PM

Hey Jilly, stop drinking with Teddy and try to read. I am not Sen Byrd. Get your broom out, kick start it, and go see Biden at the meeting tonight. Byrd is keeping his linen servce open late tonight

Gaffer
02-03-2007, 01:53 PM

So is robert byrd.

red states rule
02-03-2007, 01:56 PM
So is robert byrd.

POST EDITED BY STAFF FOR INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT.

jillian
02-03-2007, 01:56 PM
So is robert byrd.

And? I do believe I said it wasn't a function of party affiliation. George Wallace was a dem, too. So what?

OCA
02-03-2007, 03:02 PM
And? I do believe I said it wasn't a function of party affiliation. George Wallace was a dem, too. So what?

But Jillian you do see the that the popular perception of Repubs as racists and Demos as this wonderful party of racial inclusion is 180 degrees wrong, right?

George Wallace, Democrat:"segregation then, segregation now and segregation forever"

Orval Faubus, Democrat, former Governor of Arkansas:turned fire hoses and dogs on black students trying to attend a public school in 1957.

Robert Byrd, Democrat:former grand dragon of the White Knights Of The Ku Klux Klan of West Virginia.

Abraham Lincoln, Republican:abolished slavery and freed the slaves.

jillian
02-03-2007, 03:10 PM
But Jillian you do see the that the popular perception of Repubs as racists and Demos as this wonderful party of racial inclusion is 180 degrees wrong, right?

George Wallace, Democrat:"segregation then, segregation now and segregation forever"

Orval Faubus, Democrat, former Governor of Arkansas:turned fire hoses and dogs on black students trying to attend a public school in 1957.

Robert Byrd, Democrat:former grand dragon of the White Knights Of The Ku Klux Klan of West Virginia.

Right... and the southern dems ran to the republican party after Johnson got the civil rights act passed, didn't they? That's why dems don't win southern states. And you don't think Lincoln would be a republican today do you?

red states rule
02-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Lets not forget it was Byrd who fillabustered the Civil Rights Act (which passed with huge Republcian support)

OCA
02-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Right... and the southern dems ran to the republican party after Johnson got the civil rights act passed, didn't they? That's why dems don't win southern states. And you don't think Lincoln would be a republican today do you?

So why did David Duke in his first attempts to get elected in Louisiuana run as a Demo?

I've already explained how I believe the Dems are racist by their continued taking of granted of the Black vote and by enacting programs(welfare) and giving them just enough so that they will continue to need the program and therefore continue to vote for Demos who will keep the program going.

Sure I think Lincoln would be a Repub today but can't wait to hear why he wouldn't.

red states rule
02-03-2007, 03:35 PM
So why did David Duke in his first attempts to get elected in Louisiuana run as a Demo?

I've already explained how I believe the Dems are racist by their continued taking of granted of the Black vote and by enacting programs(welfare) and giving them just enough so that they will continue to need the program and therefore continue to vote for Demos who will keep the program going.

Sure I think Lincoln would be a Repub today but can't wait to hear why he wouldn't.

Libs cannot explain how it is not racit to say blacks cannot make it without their help and a government quota

Yurt
02-03-2007, 08:27 PM

LOOOL. Way funny, awesome! Rosie is sooo hot, you can deal with it can you :laugh:

Yurt
02-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I am not sure Abe would be a republican today. A republican back then actually had different platforms than do modern republicans. In fact in some ways, the dems/repubs have switched platforms, though keep the same name. Abe a big whig party believer before their demise.

A good man and president he was.

red states rule
02-04-2007, 08:32 AM
LOOOL. Way funny, awesome! Rosie is sooo hot, you can deal with it can you :laugh:

If only libs had something as good as the Italian host.

SpidermanTUba
10-12-2007, 01:46 AM

The transcript is below.

[Applause]

[laughter]

[laughter]

how DARE she suggests people not behave like Nazis!

THE NERVE

JackDaniels
10-12-2007, 01:52 AM
how DARE she suggests people not behave like Nazis!

THE NERVE

But Elizabeth has a point -- the CDs are private property. They can do whatever the hell they want the CDs, burn them or whatever.

Abbey Marie
10-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Geez, Elizabeth is not the best debater, though maybe it is because she is so outnumbered on that show. The whole bra-burning analogy was right on the money, but she let Whoopi out-debate her on it.

What I wish Elizabeth would have thought to ask Whoopi & Rosie is: "How do you feel about that beloved protest move of the rabid left- burning the U.S. flag? Is that OK, but burning a Dixie Chicks CD is not?

darin
10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Bumping old threads for discussion is dumb