PDA

View Full Version : Now A Third Way, The Impeachment That Wasn't

Kathianne
12-18-2019, 12:39 AM
First was 'certain impeachment.' Recently, 'Don't present the articles to Senate until they promise to be 'serious' about consideration. Now, 'Let the House vote, tell the Senate they will be presented IF they, the Senate do not censure the President.'

Ok, I don't think the phone call was 'perfect,' I also don't think it was something every president has done. There are reasons why I feel as I do, but those are not new reasons. He still was fairly elected. Now because he is Trump, one could see a censure earlier, with no impeachment. That didn't happen. Too late now, he is poised for the win.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2019/12/16/impeachment-trial-house-senate-donald-trump-086294

Kathianne
12-19-2019, 08:06 AM
So it's looking like Pelosi is going to hold the articles from the Senate. I predict this is not going to look good to the 'people' with the exception of the far, far left. They are finally awakening to the facts that pressing the House to do this, without fairness, i.e., allowing the President to appeal to the courts, has backfired. Indeed, it truly makes moot the second article altogether.

The reasons given is to give the Democrats more 'time' to appeal to the courts! Truly! They'd also appreciate 'more time' to gather more evidence...

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/18/trump-impeachment-trial-steny-hoyer-087319

Kathianne
12-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Waiting to see what McConnell says about the 'rules.'

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2019/12/19/pelosi-turns-impeachment-circus-even-comedy/

Pelosi Turns Impeachment Circus Into Even More Of A ComedyJAZZ SHAWPosted at 8:01 am on December 19, 2019

At no point does the Constitution even mention that there have to be “articles” delivered to the Senate. All of those details aren’t even technically laws. They are found in the rules each chamber establishes for themselves. You can read the Senate rules for impeachment here. The technicality Pelosi is relying on is the caveat in Section I about impeachment managers. It reads, “whensoever the Senate shall receive notice from the House of Representatives that managers are appointed on their part to conduct an impeachment against any person and are directed to carry articles of impeachment to the Senate, the Secretary of the Senate shall immediately inform the House of Representatives that the Senate is ready to receive the managers for the purpose of exhibiting such articles of impeachment, agreeably to such notice.”

The clear implication is that it is the duty of the House to dispatch the managers once the impeachment vote is concluded. But if they drag their feet too long for political purposes, Article I of the Constitution informs us of another important point. “Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings.” The Senate can either modify their rules or if push comes to shove, ignore them and get on with business.

Hot Dogger
12-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Everyone has a right to a speedy trial even President Trump, although Speaker Pelosi doesn't appear to have gotten that memo.

Kathianne
12-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Everyone has a right to a speedy trial even President Trump, although Speaker Pelosi doesn't appear to have gotten that memo.

There's a little thing called due process. The House chose to ignore it during the past 2 months of 'inquiry.' The Democrats ignored it over the past 3 years determined to impeach.

Now that they have their 2 articles, one of which is a result of their own denials of due process, they are calling for the Senate to give them what they failed to give the President. We'll see what happens, but it doesn't look good for Congress.

OTOH, the President reminded me last night of why he's not on my nice list. That remark about Dingle was unnecessary and an example of why so many feel he is where he shouldn't be. Boohoo for them, (and me), he won and was fairly elected. I think the Dems would have been much better off amplifying the meanness and pettiness of the man and have skipped all impeachment talk.