PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan Sentences Professor to Death for ‘Blasphemy’ Against Islam

jimnyc
12-21-2019, 11:31 AM
I have long pointed out the horrid reasons that Islam still executes people for. Sometimes for the pettiest of crimes. Speaking of folks that can't handle any criticism.

And I/we were often told that it rarely happens and when so only in weird little tribal areas and folks out of the loop. Yeah, my ass. Many would like to institute sharia law in may other places with harsh laws like this, and the ability to set women back 1,000 years.

--

Pakistan Sentences Professor to Death for ‘Blasphemy’ Against Islam

MULTAN, Pakistan (AP) – A Pakistani court on Saturday convicted a Muslim professor of blasphemy, sentencing him to death for allegedly spreading anti-Islamic ideas.

Junaid Hafeez has been held for six years awaiting trial. He’s spent most of that time in solitary confinement because he would likely be killed if kept with the general population, local media have reported. Due to security concerns, Saturday’s trial was held inside the jail where Hafeez is being held.

Defence attorney Shahbaz Gormani said his client was wrongly convicted and that the verdict would be appealed.

Pakistan´s controversial blasphemy law carries an automatic death penalty for anyone accused of insulting God, Islam, or religious figures.

While authorities have yet to carry out a death sentence for blasphemy, even the mere accusation can cause riots. Domestic and international human rights groups say blasphemy allegations have often been used to intimidate religious minorities and to settle personal scores.

A Punjab governor was killed by his own guard in 2011 after he defended a Christian woman, Aasia Bibi, who was accused of blasphemy.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/12/21/pakistan-sentences-professor-death-blasphemy-against-islam/