PDA

View Full Version : Uggghhh, damn fish tank

jimnyc
12-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Not sure when this started....

My fish tank naturally loses water over time. I guess what happens with the air always running in here and my windows open too. Not really sure. So I had to add like 2 inches or so of water about a week ago or so, and repeat the process every few weeks. Gets to be a pain, but is what it is.

I recall a few days ago hearing the water coming out of the filter and hitting the water in the tank. That's normal, I have my setup with the filter return very high for that reason. The minor splashing also can help create oxygen, even though I have a large air rock in there.

So when I head the noise I didn't think much of it over the past few days or so. My tank is on top of my dresser, and to the right off it is FILLED with aquarium supplies, a few boxes, doggy treats and some clothes.

But last night is when I looked and realized "Hmmmmm, that was awfully quick and it's like 4 inches from the top". Figured my memory off and I would fill it today. I placed a marker line right at that level for reference. But I wake today and it dropped already like another 1/8th of an inch. I checked to the left and behind it, all dry. I checked both filters I use and all Aok. I check to the right of the tank and BAM! I notice what appeared to be a tad of water, but then realized the boxes and everything else were soaked. :(

So now it's surrounded by towels and I'm prepping a transfer that hopefully won't kill them. Dropping to a 20 gallon long tank. But I will have to siphon over the water half way, Then move over the rocks and mountain. Then somehow move over as much of the gravel as possible, as well as using the same filters and media in them. Move the critters and siphon the rest until it's movable to the tube. - and hope the tank doesn't cycle again. All the "good" bacteria is stored on the tank walls, the gravel, all your ornaments and the most is in your filters.

Good thing I planned a down day for today. :( This is going to be a royal pain in the ass. At least it's a very slow leak that towels are winning over so far.

icansayit
12-23-2019, 05:13 PM
:laugh: If you hadn't. I would have suspected all of your fish of being Really, Heavy DRINKERS!:dance::dance::dance::dance:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Abbey Marie
12-24-2019, 11:47 AM
We used to have a tank. I thought fish were easy to take care of. Haha I learned. I overfed them and the tank got very dirty very quickly.
Eventually we just waited for them to die natural deaths, and never got fish again. The by-then huge “cleaner” fish was last to go.

Kathianne
12-24-2019, 11:54 AM
I hate god in tanks. I’ve mentioned that before.:laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
12-26-2019, 10:27 PM
I tried salt water for a few years.......just got to be too much work for an old man......

Kathianne
12-26-2019, 10:41 PM
I hate fish in tanks. I’ve mentioned that before.:laugh2:

edited to change 'god' to 'fish.' I've also mentioned I'm very bad at texting and that may have been an autocorrect of my bad texting. ;)