PDA

View Full Version : USMC Firearm Policy Updated to Allow Concealed Carry for Self-Defense

jimnyc
01-03-2020, 01:12 PM
How about that? Allowing the men and women who defend our country, now being allowed to defend themselves and folks within America.

--

USMC Firearm Policy Updated to Allow Concealed Carry for Self-Defense

USMC firearm policy has been updated to allow off-duty Marine Corps Law Enforcement professionals to carry concealed “privately owned firearms” while on base for self-defense.

The change comes after the December 4, 2019, firearm-based attack at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and the December 6, 2019, firearm-based attack at Naval Air Station Pensacola. U.S. military personnel who were present during the shootings were defenseless due to gun-free policies that bar concealed carry on bases and installations for self-defense.

Breitbart News reported witnesses of the Pensacola attack noted the attacker had 10 minutes without armed resistance in which to carry out his horrific work.

On December 9, 2019, Breitbart News reported that installation commanders prevent troops from being armed on base for self-defense.

Decision-making authority for on-base concealed carry shifted from the Secretary of Defense to installation commanders via Amendment S. 1536 in 2015, which passed as part of the “National Defense Authorization Act of 2016.” Yet installation commanders by-and-large stuck with the same gun-free policies.

A USMC memo on concealed carry changes that by authorizing “active Marine Corps Law Enforcement (LE) professionals who possess valid Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) 18 U.S.C. §926B credentials to carry concealed privately owned firearms (POF) aboard Marine Corps property in the United States and U.S. territories for personal protection not in the performance of official duties.”

Although the USMC memo sets limitations as to where off-duty Marine LE professionals can carry for self-defense, this policy is a clear step forward in the effort to eliminate the soft-target attraction of military installations.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/01/03/usmc-firearm-policy-updated-to-allow-concealed-carry-for-self-defense/

Kathianne
01-03-2020, 01:15 PM
I read about this a few days ago, just imagine, letting the armed forces be armed. Who'd have thought of that?

Gunny
01-03-2020, 04:47 PM
How about that? Allowing the men and women who defend our country, now being allowed to defend themselves and folks within America.

--

USMC Firearm Policy Updated to Allow Concealed Carry for Self-Defense

USMC firearm policy has been updated to allow off-duty Marine Corps Law Enforcement professionals to carry concealed “privately owned firearms” while on base for self-defense.

The change comes after the December 4, 2019, firearm-based attack at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and the December 6, 2019, firearm-based attack at Naval Air Station Pensacola. U.S. military personnel who were present during the shootings were defenseless due to gun-free policies that bar concealed carry on bases and installations for self-defense.

Breitbart News reported witnesses of the Pensacola attack noted the attacker had 10 minutes without armed resistance in which to carry out his horrific work.

On December 9, 2019, Breitbart News reported that installation commanders prevent troops from being armed on base for self-defense.

Decision-making authority for on-base concealed carry shifted from the Secretary of Defense to installation commanders via Amendment S. 1536 in 2015, which passed as part of the “National Defense Authorization Act of 2016.” Yet installation commanders by-and-large stuck with the same gun-free policies.

A USMC memo on concealed carry changes that by authorizing “active Marine Corps Law Enforcement (LE) professionals who possess valid Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) 18 U.S.C. §926B credentials to carry concealed privately owned firearms (POF) aboard Marine Corps property in the United States and U.S. territories for personal protection not in the performance of official duties.”

Although the USMC memo sets limitations as to where off-duty Marine LE professionals can carry for self-defense, this policy is a clear step forward in the effort to eliminate the soft-target attraction of military installations.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/01/03/usmc-firearm-policy-updated-to-allow-concealed-carry-for-self-defense/I don't know when they started disarming duty personnel. When I was on guard duty in 80, I carried 20 live rounds. The SDNCO carried a .45 ACP with 2 mags. You're guarding "this post and all Government property in view".

What this is basically saying is MPs can carry while off duty, on base. I'm all for it. I'm also for re-arming the guard personnel. Carrying empty weapons, if that, isn't scaring anyone, deterring anything, and sure as Hell don't do much against armed assailants.

CSM
01-03-2020, 07:30 PM
I don't know when they started disarming duty personnel. When I was on guard duty in 80, I carried 20 live rounds. The SDNCO carried a .45 ACP with 2 mags. You're guarding "this post and all Government property in view".

What this is basically saying is MPs can carry while off duty, on base. I'm all for it. I'm also for re-arming the guard personnel. Carrying empty weapons, if that, isn't scaring anyone, deterring anything, and sure as Hell don't do much against armed assailants.

Yep. When on duty (CQ,SDNCO etc) I carried and had the arms room keys too. That was a long time ago but still.....

Gunny
01-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Yep. When on duty (CQ,SDNCO etc) I carried and had the arms room keys too. That was a long time ago but still.....You'd think we might have learned something from Beiruit.

I bet they don't even have an interior guard as we remember it anymore, Sergeant Major.

But for you civvies ... guns n ammo are tighter and more controlled on military installations than Washington DC or NYC. This order isn't changing much. "Law enforcement personnel" off duty doesn't amount to much. Better than nothing. For the most part weapons and ammo are locked in armories and even in an emergency would take forever to gain access to. One could probably go home and get his/her privately owned firearm and come back quicker.

CSM
01-05-2020, 11:03 AM
You'd think we might have learned something from Beiruit.

I bet they don't even have an interior guard as we remember it anymore, Sergeant Major.

But for you civvies ... guns n ammo are tighter and more controlled on military installations than Washington DC or NYC. This order isn't changing much. "Law enforcement personnel" off duty doesn't amount to much. Better than nothing. For the most part weapons and ammo are locked in armories and even in an emergency would take forever to gain access to. One could probably go home and get his/her privately owned firearm and come back quicker.

Yeah I was wondering about the interior guard stuff too. That and we always had a quick reaction force too.... even stateside. Every unit in base had a QRF at least on standby. I guess I am really old....

Gunny
01-05-2020, 10:54 PM
Yeah I was wondering about the interior guard stuff too. That and we always had a quick reaction force too.... even stateside. Every unit in base had a QRF at least on standby. I guess I am really old....We had REACT squads. They were assigned to the Interior Guard. Stateside. We were armed camps OCONUS :)

icansayit
01-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Anyone remember those Marines who were killed in their Recruiting office? I think it was somewhere in Kentucky, a few years ago. CORRECTION...From Google:
On July 16, 2015, Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez opened fire on two military installations in Chattanooga, Tennessee. He first committed a drive-by shooting at a recruiting center, then traveled to a U.S. Navy Reserve center and continued firing, where he was killed by police in a gunfight. Four Marines died on the spot.
Those Marines might be alive today if they were able to carry then.

As for military bases. Civilians need to know. Because people are in uniform on a military base. Doesn't mean they all need to carry a weapon around. That kind of stuff went out with the Old Cavalry in the Old Western movies.