View Full Version : Vinyl Records Outsold CDs This Year

Kathianne
01-06-2020, 08:44 PM
Christmas pushed them over:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/610972/vinyl-records-sales-surpassed-cds

Gunny
01-06-2020, 09:18 PM
Christmas pushed them over:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/610972/vinyl-records-sales-surpassed-cdsThe ex-wife, THE Queen of Gifts that make you go "Huh?", got my daughter an old-time phonograph and an album. No one in the house knew what to do with it but me :laugh: The ex wouldn't have known what to di with it either.

I don't see it lasting. The whole concept of "you handle this like your first-born child" doesn't seem to sink in. There are a lot of "don't's" to handling albums and the player itself.

And here I thought I had seen/heard every medium the soundtrack to "The Little Mermaid" came out on :)

If they bring back the 8 track, I'm NOT getting one :)

Kathianne
01-06-2020, 09:42 PM
The ex-wife, THE Queen of Gifts that make you go "Huh?", got my daughter an old-time phonograph and an album. No one in the house knew what to do with it but me :laugh: The ex wouldn't have known what to di with it either.

I don't see it lasting. The whole concept of "you handle this like your first-born child" doesn't seem to sink in. There are a lot of "don't's" to handling albums and the player itself.

And here I thought I had seen/heard every medium the soundtrack to "The Little Mermaid" came out on :)

If they bring back the 8 track, I'm NOT getting one :)

Never got an 8-track. Went from records to cassettes to Walkman pretty quick. Then came the years of no buying such and it was all cd.

Gunny
01-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Never got an 8-track. Went from records to cassettes to Walkman pretty quick. Then came the years of no buying such and it was all cd.I had cassettes before I had an 8 track, but for some reason I had one. And yeah, I went from sometime in the early 80s with cassettes to sometime in the mid-90s and cds without being much interested in either.

I got cds because I joined one of those clubs where I got like 6 or 10 cds for a penny and they sent me one a month forever no matter where I went. Finally ditched them on deployment :laugh:

jimnyc
01-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Wow, that's odd. Barely even see them anymore, but don't really hit music stores much anymore either.

There is something I like about that static sound at the beginning and the way records sound. :)

Kathianne
01-07-2020, 11:18 AM
Wow, that's odd. Barely even see them anymore, but don't really hit music stores much anymore either.

There is something I like about that static sound at the beginning and the way records sound. :)

I don't usually go 'shopping' at brick and mortar anymore. However, go to a Best Buy, Walmart and you'll find tons of records and phonographs! Interestingly enough, boom boxes and MP3 players are also making big comebacks!

Abbey Marie
01-07-2020, 02:46 PM
Our 28 yr old daughter asked for a record player for Christmas. We bought it. She loves it. She also loves 70s music.

And we had a vinyl store nearby until they moved to a bigger location.

Kathianne
01-07-2020, 02:48 PM
Our 28 yr old daughter asked for a record player for Christmas. We bought it. She loves it. She also loves 70s music.

And we had a vinyl store nearby until they moved to a bigger location.
What next? Bookstores opening? lol!

hjmick
01-07-2020, 03:50 PM
My 27 year old daughter is into vinyl, has been for a few years now. Last year I sent her several albums, various artists, all from early in their careers (Tom Petty, Elvis Costello, Fleetwood Mac, among others). This year I sent her one of the best live recordings ever made: Neil Diamond, Hot August Night.

She loves the choices I've made... so far... still waiting to hear back about Neil...

Abbey Marie
01-08-2020, 08:21 AM
What next? Bookstores opening? lol!

I hope so!

Gunny
01-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Someone has to explain this one to me. In a way that makes sense. As a novelty item for waxing nostalgic I can see having one, and I DO still have some old LPs from the 60s- early 70s.

But having one as a practical item to listen to music on? What a cumbersome PIA they were. And one scratch and it's O-V-E-R. :)

hjmick
01-08-2020, 03:47 PM
Someone has to explain this one to me. In a way that makes sense. As a novelty item for waxing nostalgic I can see having one, and I DO still have some old LPs from the 60s- early 70s.

But having one as a practical item to listen to music on? What a cumbersome PIA they were. And one scratch and it's O-V-E-R. :)

Personally, as convenient as CDs and the digital formats are, for me they lack a certain warmth, a certain intimacy I can only get from good old fashioned licorice pizza.

Kathianne
01-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Personally, as convenient as CDs and the digital formats are, for me they lack a certain warmth, a certain intimacy I can only get from good old fashioned licorice pizza.

I love my kindle, seriously. LOL! There is still something about books, physically. They are my friends. I enjoy seeing the covers, the authors.

hjmick
01-08-2020, 05:28 PM
I love my kindle, seriously. LOL! There is still something about books, physically. They are my friends. I enjoy seeing the covers, the authors.

I will never read a book that isn't printed on paper. I just can't do it.

Kathianne
01-08-2020, 05:32 PM
I will never read a book that isn't printed on paper. I just can't do it.
I can stick my kindle in purse with cell phone. It’s easy to read, regardless of lighting. I gotta run, more later.

hjmick
01-08-2020, 07:04 PM
I can stick my kindle in purse with cell phone. It’s easy to read, regardless of lighting. I gotta run, more later.

Don't get me wrong, I get it... I just can't do it. And I take a book with me damn near everywhere.

Advice my dad gave me: Always take a book, you never know when you might end up waiting.

Kathianne
01-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, I get it... I just can't do it. And I take a book with me damn near everywhere.

Advice my dad gave me: Always take a book, you never know when you might end up waiting.
That’s my motto, besides I often get bored.

icansayit
01-08-2020, 09:03 PM
The year we got married in March. 1969. That Summer, with a volunteer Ambulance Squad, in a brand new 69 Caddy. We went to WOODSTOCK in N.Y.
Spent one entire day there, heard a few of the greats.
I know that has nothing to do with this topic. So, I will go on.

My wife is from Ireland. Donegal. She still loves the BEATLES, and we still have six or seven of their Original Albums. DR. PEPPER, THE WHITE ALBUM, HARD DAYS NIGHT, and a few more. 33 1/3 all. Bill Cosby standup, when he was young, The Doors, The Stones, Monkeys, Earth Wind & Fire, and some local, Philadelphia D.J. stuff like HY LIT Of WIBG, Jerry Blavat, and the WFIL News announcer, Larry Kane, who brought the Beatles to Philly, where my wife saw them at FRANKLIN FIELD (where the ARMY NAVY GAME WAS PLAYED FOR YEARS). We still have Our First Stereo Record player, but our son's hijacked the speakers when they were teenagers.
For those who remember those days. There is nothing like the sound coming from a record. Even have a 45 collection...WIPEOUT, SATISFACTION, and The CHIMPMONKS with HELLO MUDDER, HELLO FADDER for kicks.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-09-2020, 12:46 AM
The thing about vinyl is it's ANALOG, as opposed to DIGITAL. Many old timers say playing records has a "warmer" sound to it, it's not as "harsh" as digital, but turn tables have been making a huge comeback. They've made great strides in their quality and complexity, so reproducing the soundtrack from a record far exceeds what was once capable. But all sound sent to a speaker from a receiver in modern receiver goes through what they call a DAC, a digital to analog converter, but with an analog signal, such as a turntable, it doesn't need to go through a DAC, the best of which are Burr Brown by the way, but the less "processing" music needs, the more pure it will be, and that's why there's such a reassurance of vinyl. The higher end receivers and amps will also have a function called "pure direct," in which no sound processing will occur. You hear it as it comes off the source.

I have Amazon Prime Music Unlimited. I switched from Spotify to Amazon because Spotify streams at a low bit rate. Amazon Music Unlimited has HD and Ultra HD streaming. It's over 4x higher bit rate than Spotify. Why Spotify has resisted increasing their streaming rate is really baffling, because there's Tidal and a couple others that have been streaming at a higher bit rate for years, but Spotify just hasn't stepped up, even though their streaming music program is one of the best for music discovery, and they have one of the largest libraries, although Amazon now boasts a larger library than Spotify, and yes, I have found that to be the case, in my experience. I could find any song that I ever heard on Spotify on youtube to post here, but not so with Amazon. There have been a couple songs and artists already that I liked on Amazon music that I could not find on youtube to post here, so obviously, Amazon has an amazingly large music library.