PDA

View Full Version : No jailtime for coke distribution

truthmatters
09-08-2007, 11:49 AM

actsnoblemartin
09-08-2007, 11:51 AM
There are many things i will never understand :laugh2:

http://tinyurl.com/2g4mx2

I just dont understand why there is no jail time involved in this case?

Missileman
09-08-2007, 12:01 PM
http://tinyurl.com/2g4mx2

I just dont understand why there is no jail time involved in this case?

Ravenel pleads guilty to drug charge
Former state treasurer unlikely to get much prison time due to deal with prosecutors

Published: Friday, September 7, 2007 - 2:00 am

By Tim Smith
CAPITAL BUREAU
tcsmith@greenvillenews.com

COLUMBIA -- Former State Treasurer Thomas Ravenel admitted to "reckless and immature" behavior Thursday as he pleaded guilty in federal court to a charge of conspiring to possess with intent to distribute cocaine.

The 45-year-old Charleston multimillionaire told U.S. District Judge Joseph Anderson that he purchased the drug, used it and shared it with others over a two-year period.

A sentencing hearing will be scheduled in several months, Anderson said, after a pre-sentence report is complete. Although Ravenel faces a maximum term of 20 years in prison, he is likely to serve little time because of sentencing guidelines and a deal he struck with prosecutors last week. According to that deal, prosecutors will say that the amount of cocaine involved with Ravenel's charge is less than 100 grams. When indicted, prosecutors said he was involved with less than 500 grams, a little more than a pound.

When asked by Anderson whether he had ever been treated for narcotics addiction, Ravenel replied, "No, sir." Ravenel, according to his lawyers, has visited two drug-treatment facilities in Arizona and New Mexico this summer following his June indictment.

Usually they are not just set free for months

The picture becomes crystal clear! You can't read! It's no wonder you raise invalid argument after invalid argument.

truthmatters
09-08-2007, 01:05 PM

darin
09-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Liesmatter - you're missing the point. If you READ the article, and understand the words, you'll understand the sentence.

truthmatters
09-08-2007, 01:18 PM

darin
09-08-2007, 01:32 PM
have you read the article?

Abbey Marie
09-08-2007, 01:40 PM
have you read the article?

Selectively, I suspect, and with lib blinders on, looking for some race-based injustice to complain about. :rolleyes:

shattered
09-08-2007, 01:47 PM
COLUMBIA -- Former State Treasurer Thomas Ravenel admitted to "reckless and immature" behavior Thursday as he pleaded guilty in federal court to a charge of conspiring to possess with intent to distribute cocaine.

Maybe I'm ignorant when it comes to drugs, but... "conspiring to possess" equals "discussing".. Not really a jailable offence.

"Intent to distribute".. One can intend to do many things, but without said item in hand, distribution isn't really possible.

"Reckless and immature behavior"? Since when is acting like an idiot a jailable offense?

truthmatters
09-08-2007, 02:15 PM

darin
09-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I think you missed that he pled quilty to procurement ,possesion and doling it out to his friends.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Boy that's RICH! YOU of all ppl gettin' on somebody for not reading/comprehending?

http://ganjataz.com/general-bollocks/images/by-GT/forum-shitz/pot-kettle-black.jpg

shattered
09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I think you missed that he pled quilty to procurement ,possesion and doling it out to his friends.

Ok.. So, he did coke, and gave some to his friends.. It also said there are sentencing guidelines affecting jail time, and that he struck a deal with the very people prosecuting him..

Why is it someone that did coke should go to jail, yet you imply a rapist should have some say in whether or not the child of a rape should be aborted?

truthmatters
09-08-2007, 02:33 PM

truthmatters
09-08-2007, 02:34 PM

shattered
09-08-2007, 02:36 PM
So you think he should have done no jail time?

I think you're pretty selective on what justice you think should be doled out to whom..

Rapist - gets choice.

Coke user - mandatory jail time.

Missileman
09-08-2007, 02:39 PM
So you think he should have done no jail time?

He hasn't been sentenced yet...DID YOU MISS THAT? He may get 5 years...who knows?

truthmatters
09-08-2007, 02:42 PM

shattered
09-08-2007, 02:46 PM
I never advocted anything about a rapist getting any choice.

He was more than a user he was caught with under 500 grams which means if he was caught with under 100 grams they would have said that.So by the laws he was caught with over 100 grams of coke.That is about a half a cup of coke.

Think about how much money worth of coke tha is?

Bullshit. Yo clearly asked what happened if the rapist wanted to keep the child. No sane person would even consider that type of question.

he is likely to serve little time because of sentencing guidelines and a deal he struck with prosecutors last week. According to that deal, prosecutors will say that the amount of cocaine involved with Ravenel's charge is less than 100 grams. When indicted, prosecutors said he was involved with less than 500 grams, a little more than a pound.

That's what he's being charged with, it looks like..

So, will 30 days be enough? 1 year? 3 years? Or do you think he should get the whole 20 years?